The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: misterqueue on April 21, 2006, 08:00:59 pm

Title: Well DUH
Post by: misterqueue on April 21, 2006, 08:00:59 pm
Clearly I could have told them this. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4921690.stm)

Interesting they are having trouble finding a similar distraction in women. 

Anyway, this is basically my entire life they are reporting on.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: misterqueue on April 21, 2006, 08:12:56 pm

(yes, my third is longer than my first)

Mine too, and yet I still do not grow facial hair... CONFOUNDING!
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Hobot on April 21, 2006, 08:20:04 pm
A lot of studies have been conducted that have linked digit ratio to various psychological traits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio#Correlation_between_digit_ratio_and_psychological_traits), most notably sexual orientation.


This article definitively proves what I had already suspected: Science is never, ever wrong.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Drygioni on April 21, 2006, 09:10:48 pm
How the hell would anyone agree to less than half of £10 in a business deal in which they have to strike the best deal possible? I'm pretty sure some cleavage doesn't make a man forget simple arithmetic.

My index finger is a fair bit longer than my ring finger. From what I know about these things, I will be either gay, poor at sports, particuarly feminine and/or a communist. A life as a hairdresser beckons. (No offense to any real life hairdressers you are all awesome)
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: robot_god on April 21, 2006, 09:37:47 pm
I got the ring fingers longer, and I have hell of facial hair.  In fact, I am sporting a sick-ass beard.  Now I'm gonna go lift weights and hit on chicks at a mall.  Then, prostate cancer.  Then, use a lasso.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2006, 05:31:05 pm
hm.

what does it mean that they are the same length?

actually, my index finger is larger by a very tiny amount. Hmm.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: lprkn on April 24, 2006, 07:16:36 am
Probably just that you have an affinity for interior decoration and drinks with umbrellas in them.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Doc on April 24, 2006, 10:14:43 am
But in a macho way, like the umbrellas will have camoflage patterns on them or something.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: lprkn on April 25, 2006, 01:08:01 am
As long as you decorate using a sports bar motif, you'll be okay. Neon signs are good.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2006, 01:27:56 am
hm. I now realized-- on one hand, the index finger is the same lenth. on the other, it is slightly shorter.

so I guess my right hand is manly, and my left hand is questionable.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 01:31:58 am
Man, my ring finger is a good centimeter shorter than my index finger.  Somehow I always knew, but I guess I can stop only wearing the dresses at night now.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: swinehund on April 25, 2006, 08:31:27 pm
My index finger is a lot longer, and I sometimes wear dresses.

However I also like professional wrestling and the idea of pulling trucks.

SCIENCE! It is never wrong, but it is sometimes drunk.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: 1 on May 08, 2006, 10:31:26 pm
My ring finger is a centimetre longer than the index; you can tell from the marks I left on my wife's face.

*high fives*
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 03:38:20 pm
My ring finger is a centimetre longer than the index; you can tell from the marks I left on my wife's face.

*high fives*

Nice first effort at establishing your legacy here. Bloody kids these days, eh?
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on May 09, 2006, 04:22:09 pm
My ring finger is a centimetre longer than the index; you can tell from the marks I left on my wife's face.

*high fives*

Ya know what I think? I think this character isn't even married. He has no wife! He's a lier! No go to hell and think about what you've done!
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: jough on May 09, 2006, 04:51:45 pm
HoboF, I disagree.  I think he's a liar.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: V-Adore on May 09, 2006, 05:13:17 pm
I suspect he prevaricates!
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 05:14:52 pm
Fabrications Falsehoods and Folly!

My goodness Internet you did so tell me you would never fill yourself with terminological inexactitude!

My naivete!  She is broken!
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 05:51:23 pm
I don't get it...

does he think it is cool to slap his wife?

is that what the joke is?

Maybe it's a regional thing.

like how north of the mason-dixon line, it is acceptable to urinate in public, or cuss in front of a lady.

I find these things intolerable, but my Civics teacher says that that's what makes America Great! (emphasis hers.)
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 05:57:05 pm
I don't get it...

does he think it is cool to slap his wife?

is that what the joke is?

Maybe it's a regional thing.

like how north of the mason-dixon line, it is acceptable to urinate in public, or cuss in front of a lady.

I find these things intolerable, but my Civics teacher says that that's what makes America Great! (emphasis hers.)

It is also acceptable to say "wicked," as in, "Wicked awesome!"

I find this thing intolerable.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2006, 06:48:22 pm

like how north of the mason-dixon line, it is acceptable to urinate in public, or cuss in front of a lady.


You can cuss in front of me any time, but I better not catch you peeing in MY neighborhood.  I assume that this is because in Maryland we have such a confused regional identity.

Note:  In many areas of the North it is very cold at certain times of year.  Please consider this before making any outdoor urination decisions.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 09, 2006, 06:49:13 pm
My wife's stepfather thinks he's an insult comic, but he's really not good at it.  So instead of funny, he comes off as mean and hurtful.

When they last visited our house, he was trying to explain away something stupid he had done.  So he says to his wife (my mother-in-law), "I know what I'll tell them.  I got drunk and beat you..."

Dude, just stop right there.  Nothing you could possibly say next will make that funny.  Nothing.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2006, 07:05:49 pm
You can cuss in front of me any time, but I better not catch you peeing in MY neighborhood.  I assume that this is because in Maryland we have such a confused regional identity.

Note:  In many areas of the North it is very cold at certain times of year.  Please consider this before making any outdoor urination decisions.

I think we all want to know: can it freeze while in mid-air? Have you seen this happen?
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Mite on May 09, 2006, 07:08:46 pm
I have microwaved mugs of water and thrown them up in the air on 50-below days before, and it does go poof and freeze into little drops (some of it, anyway). I can only assume urine would do the same. Since I don't have the accuracy of some of you boys, I think I'll leave that particular experiment to the pros.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: V-Adore on May 09, 2006, 07:19:00 pm
I have to say that, despite living the vast bulk of my life north of the Mason-Dixon line, I have never lived anywhere where anyone thought that urinating in public was even slightly cool. I'm convinced this is an urban legend, the kind of thing that's always acceptable Over There, Over the Fence, where Their Habits Are Different From Ours (read: weird and gross), but is never acceptable anywhere anyone actually lives.

As for cussing in front of a lady, well, I do it all the time!
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2006, 07:22:26 pm
Are you equating urinating in public with urinating out of doors?   Because they're not the same.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 07:27:01 pm
I have only urinated in public when A) it was an emergency or B) I was drunk and in netiher case do I find it acceptable.

Does the long ring finger make one predisposed to do things that are soically unacceptable?

Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2006, 07:28:07 pm
Are you equating urinating in public with urinating out of doors?   Because they're not the same.

Well I'm sure hoping that 'urinating in public' in the sense of, say, on the carpet of the lobby of the public library, would be out of bounds whatever your geography.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: Hobot on May 09, 2006, 08:13:07 pm
Well I'm sure hoping that 'urinating in public' in the sense of, say, on the carpet of the lobby of the public library, would be out of bounds whatever your geography.

Unless you're a bibliophobe with little shame.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: misterqueue on May 09, 2006, 08:22:29 pm
Unless you're a bibliophobe with little shame.

"Take that John fuck*ng Updike!"  *PPssssssssss*

*stern librarians jump me and drag me out.. but very carefully*
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2006, 11:40:20 pm

Yeah, Yankees urinate in public the same way Asian people can't drink out of bottles.



I love how every time I make up a horrible stereotype, y'all try to prove that it's right.

But, I mean, seriously!

Although: I was definitely in the area of the state where they would believe something like that today. it was fun.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 14, 2006, 06:48:05 am
I don't get it...

does he think it is cool to slap his wife?

is that what the joke is?

Maybe it's a regional thing.

like how north of the mason-dixon line, it is acceptable to urinate in public, or cuss in front of a lady.

I find these things intolerable, but my Civics teacher says that that's what makes America Great! (emphasis hers.)

I think he is referring to his high testosterone.  Like they are probably more likely to hit their wives, I would think, and that is where the joke is coming from.

And, yea, as for urinating in public, it isn't cool, but a drunk public urination ticket is.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 18, 2006, 02:45:37 am
Mine too, and yet I still do not grow facial hair... CONFOUNDING!

I'm in the same boat. Strangely, the difference is significantly more pronounced on my right hand.
Title: Re: Well DUH
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 18, 2006, 02:48:14 am
I have to say that, despite living the vast bulk of my life north of the Mason-Dixon line, I have never lived anywhere where anyone thought that urinating in public was even slightly cool. I'm convinced this is an urban legend, the kind of thing that's always acceptable Over There, Over the Fence, where Their Habits Are Different From Ours (read: weird and gross), but is never acceptable anywhere anyone actually lives.

As for cussing in front of a lady, well, I do it all the time!
It is a constant complaint for homeowners near Wrigley Field. Of course, the peeing parties are drunk.