The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on April 24, 2006, 08:39:36 am

Title: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: melack on April 24, 2006, 08:39:36 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04242006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04242006)

Not much funny going on in this one. I guess it's more of a "plot-advancing" comic. Gotta wonder if an Ultra Peanut reunion is in the works, though!
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: melack on April 24, 2006, 08:43:58 am
Also, the barge. As far as Onstad's vehicle artwork goes, I gotta rank that below Ray's Escalade, but above Vlad's Datsun. Am I saying I would rather ride a trash-covered barge than a Datsun? I will let you decide.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Doc on April 24, 2006, 10:09:03 am
I am fascinated by the contrast of the obviously american hobo and the word 'ken' which I always love.
Phillipe is still looking a bit worse for wear.
I though ultrapeanut was from japan?
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2006, 10:35:50 am
hm.

I really did not like it. I am not really sure why.

I do not like this hobo fellow. He is too initially friendly.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: ananke on April 24, 2006, 11:15:42 am
I though ultrapeanut was from japan?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03192002 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03192002)
(alt-text)

I really like this one if only because I will enjoy assimilating the expression "all ... same as what", and I love the implication that China is having a couch shortage.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Mite on April 24, 2006, 11:20:07 am
I really like this one if only because I will enjoy assimilating the expression "all ... same as what", and I love the implication that China is having a couch shortage.

Well why do you think they always sit on the floor? I'm sure they'd rather do a tea ceremony over a nice Shaker coffee table while seated on an Aztec-print castoff sofa. It'd look just like a morning TV news show's set circa 1993.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 24, 2006, 11:46:10 am
hm.

I really did not like it. I am not really sure why.

I do not like this hobo fellow. He is too initially friendly.

I don't think this fellow is a Hobo. I'm thinking that he works at the Transfer Station. He looks a little healthier than the rest and he looks like he has a worker's jumpsuit on. And he said "We'n sell 'em to China..." "We" as in the Transfer Station? Plus look at that face, that is a silly happy face full of yay. Look at that smile and those crows feet. Crows feet happen due to too much smiling. This man has smiled all his life. He is no hobo. I rest my case!
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: mrdna1 on April 24, 2006, 12:03:17 pm
I kinda like this guy, although the facial hair gives off a slightly Nice Pete vibe. I'm still of the mindset that nothing too horrible will happen to Philippe (especially given how family-friendly (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252002) Achewood is), and this is just the beginning/middle of another unpredictably odd storyline. Of course, I say this now and next week features Ray eating some fresh otter from one of his "guys".

Actually, while I like Philippe I think that'd be a pretty funny storyline ... they could even have a return to Hell when Ray finds out he ate Philippe and his conscience turns him vegan, so he chokes on another Tofutti-Cutie and dies. Or maybe he goes to Heaven and finds Philippe and brings him back to Earth.

Or maybe I just need to get more sleep at night.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: wombat on April 24, 2006, 12:30:33 pm
The barge evokes in me a great feeling of dread.  I thought it was all OK now, that Philippe had a handle on all the creepy people at the dump and everything would be OK.  Foolish, foolish me.

As I recall Ultra Peanut appeared to speak Chinese.  Also, tea ceremony is Japanese.  It's just as easy to keep these things straight, people.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: vagittarius on April 24, 2006, 01:38:17 pm
Phillipe is going to get onto that barge and then the storm comes.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 24, 2006, 02:21:56 pm
He's going to swashbuckle his way onto the barge, hit some junkie-pirates over the head with his sheriff's scepter and then grab his couch and live happily ever after yay!

Actually wait, he'll ride the barge all-the way to china, after becoming the leader of the Junkie-Pirates by besting their leader in scrabble and he'll be reunited with ultra-peanut, but then he'll have to win the approval of her father by journeying up a mountain and slaying a Dragon.  But instead of beating the dragon with brawn he uses his wits see?  And he convinces the dragon to part with one of its scales as proof.

I bet you I'm right about all of it.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: robot_god on April 24, 2006, 03:00:34 pm
What is "y'ken?"
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on April 24, 2006, 03:03:41 pm
I read "y'ken?" as "you keen?" or "Do you understnad?" but the lack of a second "E" has me thinking otherwise now.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: jough on April 24, 2006, 03:12:12 pm
Ken the noun means "insight or understanding."  Ken as a verb means to have an understanding of something. So "y'ken" means "you ken?" like "You understand?"

Education. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ken)
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: robot_god on April 24, 2006, 03:16:36 pm
Thank you, good sirs.  I have never heard that word, I suppose it is a hobo word.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Drygioni on April 24, 2006, 03:27:03 pm
Thank you, good sirs.  I have never heard that word, I suppose it is a hobo word.

It is very common among Scottishners and grim Northern England types. I suppose in your eyes England is too small to have a north, but I can assure you it does. It is a shameful place.

Phillipe made it through the worst of the transfer station alive!

That's kind of saddening.



Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 24, 2006, 03:32:19 pm
That dude isn't a Hobo.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: CortJstr on April 24, 2006, 03:58:11 pm
It is very common among Scottishners and grim Northern England types. I suppose in your eyes England is too small to have a north, but I can assure you it does. It is a shameful place.

It also shows up a lot in The Boroque Cycle. In fact this is the first I'd heard the term outside of that book so I thought it was an archaic expression.

Also, I was in C-ville for the weekend and I forgot to check ahead of time if anybody from the board would be around as well. I am sorry about this.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Hobot on April 24, 2006, 04:54:09 pm
I approve of this fellow's nose.  It is bulbous and amusing.  To the rest of the strip, however, I give an emphatic "Meh."  But at least I learned a new word.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Cynicar on April 24, 2006, 05:12:33 pm
Maybe it is just my attention span, but I am sincerely bored with this arc.  The parts with Emeril, Beef, and the extraneous Teodor, I find somewhat entertaining.  But Phillipe just isn't cutting it for me here. 

Nor is that worker dude.  Though his vocabulary is impressive.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: otter on April 24, 2006, 05:22:17 pm
I dunno, I kind of liked this one.  The art in the last panel is great.  With regards to the arc, I like the way it's timed, with all the creepy cliffhangers that turn out to be anticlimaxes.

And even though I'd of course love to see something happen that would permanently change everyone involved in the strip, I wouldn't be too angry if the whole thing turned out to be a tempest in a teapot, either.  I mean, that's how most childhood adventures are (at least, the ones that don't get you killed and buried under some moldy leaves in a ditch).

Post modified: does anyone else think the worker-guy looks scarily like Tigger (http://www.eeyoreshideaway.com/eeyore/coloring/FILES/tigger-movie1.gif")?
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: robot_god on April 24, 2006, 05:32:41 pm
Post modified: does anyone else think the worker-guy looks scarily like Tigger (http://www.eeyoreshideaway.com/eeyore/coloring/FILES/tigger-movie1.gif")?

Speaking of Tigger, this week, Pooh got a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.  Bear is getting a star, how can that be???
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 24, 2006, 06:50:20 pm
Also, I was in C-ville for the weekend and I forgot to check ahead of time if anybody from the board would be around as well. I am sorry about this.

Centreville?  Charlottesville?
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: AugustWest on April 24, 2006, 07:04:03 pm
Centreville?

"A Real Nice Place to Raise Your Kids Up!"
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: CortJstr on April 24, 2006, 07:25:43 pm
Centreville?  Charlottesville?

Charlottesville."Townies Now 67% Less Goth!"
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2006, 08:23:33 pm
*****_God: Big American Party! Everybody dancing!

man. I realized, the only way I can know what the word "ken" means is if I read it in a scottish accent.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: V-Adore on April 24, 2006, 09:43:27 pm
The thought of an arc on Ultra Peanut's home turf is too delightful to contemplate. So I won't.

The couch-barge is sort of an... underwhelming visual, truthfully. I guess I was hoping for something with more majesty.
Title: Re: April 24 2006 - Yer'n a funny li'l feller, pip-squeak!
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 24, 2006, 11:11:30 pm
#####_God: Big American Party! Everybody dancing!

Nice Clerks cartoon reference.