The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 02:00:45 am

Title: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 02:00:45 am
Newly signed Bears quarterback arrested for beating up a man for using a laptop in public (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2419713).

This is probably one of the more disgusting things I've seen in a while.  This is just more confirmation that the people who are jerks in high school never fuck*ng grow up. 

The best line from the article:

"I was pretty down this morning because of the situation," Manning said."But when I found out I was a Chicago Bear, it kind of brought a little light to the day. ... I can't let something like this let me have a bad start to my football career in Chicago."


Well I'm glad he had a nice day at least.

Where did this whole "sports people as role model" thing come from again?  I really can't see it.  I'd tell my kids to look up to Snoop Dogg before this guy.  At least Snoop can rap.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: CortJstr on April 25, 2006, 02:17:21 am
Wait, the url starts with "sports.espn" isn't that redundant? As go.com is tacked on the end as well I'm guessing they're just trying to make it as cumbersome and unmemorable as possible.

And does the phrase "restricted free agent" make sense to enough people that they don't feel the need to translate it into english?
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 02:27:15 am
And does the phrase "restricted free agent" make sense to enough people that they don't feel the need to translate it into english?

Well, I guess it means that he's free, but with s-some restrictions?
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2006, 02:36:56 am
goodness gracious me.

people from NC seem to be having assault issues lately.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 25, 2006, 01:14:41 pm
Not that anyone cares, but I believe "restricted free agent" means he can solicit offers from other teams, and his original team has the right to match it.  If he still goes to the other team, his old team gets a draft pick as compensation.  If you're an "unrestricted free agent," you can go anywhere you want, and screw those bastards at your old team.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: side_show on April 25, 2006, 02:40:23 pm
Seriously?  Seriously?  This sounds like what happens in a highschool cafeteria.  Why is there no information on what happened to the guy they beat up?  I mean, normally there would be something in the article about the victim's current state.  WTF? I should know by now that ESPN doesn't care about geeks.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2006, 03:16:34 pm
prediction:

the guy gets in trouble with The Bears. Then, he sues the geek for making him lose money. He will argue that the guy provoked him by "being a geek". All geeks will be expunged from the jury. Examples will be brought in of how annoying geeks are. He will testify about bad experiences with geeks at a young age.

this geek will pay.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: smick on April 25, 2006, 04:01:59 pm
It's really bugging me that I'm not finding a lot more about this.  It's also bugging me his attitude about it.

Like he's saying he's going to be vindicated by some piece of information in his side of the story.   From this, and the AP article, it sounds less like a "fight" and more like he and a couple other guys knocked the guy over and proceeded to kick him until all the lumps went away.

Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: CortJstr on April 25, 2006, 04:37:28 pm
prediction:

the guy gets in trouble with The Bears. Then, he sues the geek for making him lose money. He will argue that the guy provoked him by "being a geek". All geeks will be expunged from the jury. Examples will be brought in of how annoying geeks are. He will testify about bad experiences with geeks at a young age.

this geek will pay.

I predict the whole story will go away on its own. Remember that football team that was all up in the news like a year ago for the party boat incident? Ever hear any closure on that? Or any follow up whatsoever? Me either.

Actually it's quite possible that this was all over SportsNight or whatever but I don't even know what channel ESPN is.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: smick on April 25, 2006, 04:43:08 pm

Actually it's quite possible that this was all over SportsNight or whatever but I don't even know what channel ESPN is.

You won't say that around a football player, if you know what's good for you.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 25, 2006, 05:11:27 pm
I predict the whole story will go away on its own. Remember that football team that was all up in the news like a year ago for the party boat incident? Ever hear any closure on that? Or any follow up whatsoever? Me either.

Four Minnesota Vikings charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.  Thus far, one acquitted, one convicted.  No other charges because authorities couldn't conclusively identify everyone involved.  The players charged, all black, claim they are being singled out due to racism.

Their coach said he would consider "reducing playing time" for any players who behaved inappropriately.  No sign that he actually did so.  The coach was fired after the season for a variety of reasons.

The owner was furious, and instituted a revised code of conduct for the team.  He didn't actually release any players, though.  If he had, some other team probably would have picked them up.

So, behavior that might cost us regular folk our jobs, once again kind of brushed aside by the sports world. 
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 05:19:13 pm
So, behavior that might cost us regular folk our jobs and our "not being in jail", once again kind of brushed aside by the sports world. 

Punched that up for you.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: robot_god on April 25, 2006, 05:29:09 pm
I'm sure there are alot of athletes that are good people, with good hearts.

Some of them let the strippers keep their skin.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AugustWest on April 25, 2006, 06:21:01 pm
I haven't threatened a shanking in a good couple of hours.


Paddlin' the school canoe?  Oh yeah, that's a shanking.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Hobot on April 25, 2006, 06:46:01 pm
Starin' at my sandals: that's a paddlin'.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 25, 2006, 07:10:34 pm
Try not to get your beard caught in the pencil sharpener.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 25, 2006, 07:54:12 pm
hmm.

this makes me notice: basketball is not a very violent sport. neither is baseball. players in these sports seem to have a much loser incidence of killing people.

this makes so much sense.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 25, 2006, 08:08:02 pm
hmm.

this makes me notice: basketball is not a very violent sport. neither is baseball. players in these sports seem to have a much loser incidence of killing people.

this makes so much sense.

In a related note, this (http://www.slate.com/id/2139536/) article from slate is a pretty interesting look at the phenomenon of Jackassery among Lacrosse players, who I might add, are a low form of life (no offense if anyone plays lacrosse, just my personal experience).

Also, it's interesting that you bring up violence in sports.  With all the hoopla over videogame violence these days it's a wonder how politicians and parents can have their head so far in the sand as to be ignoring all the evidence that contact/violent sports do cause and reward increased agression on and off the field, and that this frequently translates into real world violence. 
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 25, 2006, 08:24:56 pm
hmm.

this makes me notice: basketball is not a very violent sport. neither is baseball. players in these sports seem to have a much loser incidence of killing people.

this makes so much sense.

Ron Artest, Bill Laimbeer and Kurt Rambis notwithstanding.

I think the violence level of basketball has gone up pretty noticeably in the last 10 years or so.

Baseball rarely puts two adversaries face to face with each other. The pitcher is a ways off, and rundowns and close plays on base or at the plate are really the only directly and proximate adversarial moments. I think that's why benches clear so fast - baseball can pen up a lot of agressive energy in a player.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: CortJstr on April 25, 2006, 08:46:21 pm
Four Minnesota Vikings charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.  Thus far, one acquitted, one convicted.  No other charges because authorities couldn't conclusively identify everyone involved.  The players charged, all black, claim they are being singled out due to racism.

Their coach said he would consider "reducing playing time" for any players who behaved inappropriately.  No sign that he actually did so.  The coach was fired after the season for a variety of reasons.

The owner was furious, and instituted a revised code of conduct for the team.  He didn't actually release any players, though.  If he had, some other team probably would have picked them up.

So, behavior that might cost us regular folk our jobs, once again kind of brushed aside by the sports world. 

Well at least that basketball player who threw the chair into the stands a few years ago was released and banned from all pro-sports for life, right? Right? And Bobby Knight was beated to death by 75 angry players, all of whom were aquitted.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 25, 2006, 11:36:46 pm
Well at least that basketball player who threw the chair into the stands a few years ago was released and banned from all pro-sports for life, right? Right? And Bobby Knight was beated to death by 75 angry players, all of whom were aquitted.

Wasn't that Ron Artest? Or maybe Latrell Sprewell? Lots of thugs out there to choose from.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 26, 2006, 04:47:42 pm
I don't know of a basketball player who threw a chair into the crowd.  A relief pitcher for the Texas Rangers did that a few years ago, got suspended.

You heard why Ron Artest left the game early?  He wanted to beat the crowd.

I played lacrosse in high school, but it wasn't actually a varsity team, just a bunch of guys who went out and played on weekends.  I went out for the team my freshman year of college, and discovered that to a man, they were all dicks.  The only notable non-dick on the squad was the best player, a guy who had been named an All-American the year before.  Guess he didn't have too much to prove.

I was in the first wave of cuts.  No surprise there.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: CortJstr on April 26, 2006, 05:46:34 pm
I don't know of a basketball player who threw a chair into the crowd.  A relief pitcher for the Texas Rangers did that a few years ago, got suspended.

You heard why Ron Artest left the game early?  He wanted to beat the crowd.

I misremembered. I guess a fan threw a beer and the player jumped into the crowd. Regardless, at least the leage acted reasonably by banning the player and all his endorsements were cancelled. Because this is the only possible outcome that would've made any sense at all.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 26, 2006, 08:21:54 pm
Yeah, they all look the same anyways...

I preempted your observation of racism by mentioning Bill Laimbeer and Kurt Rambis earlier. Because I KNOW someone would bring that to the table.

It ain't a race thing. It's a culture thing.


Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2006, 08:58:21 pm
man, culture problems make me so sad. Like how each culture has its own problems in some situations-- mostly only white dudes are serial killers, or how a lot of black dudes are kind of rude, or how asian guys have trouble drinking out of a bottle (watch them-- they will use a can or a glass, but not a bottle. this is a fact).
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 26, 2006, 09:35:44 pm
Must have something to do with how close to Asia they are in time/space. Because here in Hawaii, most everyone not white or 100% Hawaiian has Japanese, Chinese, or some other Asian in 'em. And I haven't noticed the bottle problem (unless bottled water doesn't count).

Maybe it has to do if they are direct from Asia. I don't work with many people who meet that description; there are many many 100% Japanese people here who are 5th generation in Hawaii. Same with Chinese.

Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2006, 09:45:58 pm
oh, wow.
I'm sorry. I was making fun of how sometimes people make rediculous racial comments.

in the other class my english teacher teaches, she makes them do a thing on the first day of class where she gives them a list of various racial groups, and they have to write down every stereotype about them, and then read them to the class. some of the ones people said were things like this.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 26, 2006, 09:48:39 pm
So I can stop closely observing my asian coworkers now?
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2006, 09:58:38 pm
I don't have any asian coworkers to observe.  Shitload of Navajos though, what do they do funny?

~Paul
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: jough on April 26, 2006, 10:31:47 pm
Become alcoholics?  Start casinos?  Smoke peace pipe and make big wompum?

Oh, and give you indian burns, then they take them back.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2006, 12:11:03 am
I don't have any asian coworkers to observe.  Shitload of Navajos though, what do they do funny?

~Paul

Speak in a language that nobody else can understand, thereby (with a lil' help from Nic Cage) WINNING WORLD WAR II!
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2006, 12:17:22 am
Speak in a language that nobody else can understand, thereby (with a lil' help from Nic Cage) WINNING WORLD WAR II!

Why don't you have 500 cans?

~Paul
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2006, 12:40:31 am
What are these  cuh-ans of which you speak?
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2006, 03:07:27 am
Okay, so for those of you who don't know I'm Metis.  This means I've heard them all. 

What did the Navajos girl say when she was making love for the first time?
"Get off me Dad, you're crushing my smokes."

A Cree woman to her husband:
"Hey your kid and my kid are beating up our kid."

A little explaination on the next one: in Winnipeg the main brand of garbage dumpster is BFI.

What does BFI stand for?
Bed for Indians.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: AugustWest on April 27, 2006, 03:28:31 am
Okay, so for those of you who don't know I'm Metis.  This means I've heard them all. 


Yeah, I feel that way about lawyer jokes.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2006, 03:30:47 am
A little explaination on the next one: in Winnipeg the main brand of garbage dumpster is BFI.

I think BFI is pretty much the main brand of dumpster everywhere.

~Paul
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2006, 03:33:01 am
damn.

you would think that this fact would mean that you would not have heard them all.

this proves that people are jerks.

as long as we're talking about insensitive racial comments, my friend and I declared that we were going to start a band called "Legion of Asian Pre-meds". I wrote this on a napkin in very small handwriting, showed it to her, and then erased it, and ripped up the napkin.

next time we saw an asian friend of ours: "oh man! guess what dan just said!"


my favorite racial joke of all time, however, is this: (I am sorry, it is from a horrible teen drama. it is my one guilty pleasure.)

What do you call a black guy who flies a plane?





A pilot, you fuck*ng racist!
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2006, 03:41:30 am
damn.

you would think that this fact would mean that you would not have heard them all.

this proves that people are jerks.

Actually, each of the jokes above was told to me by another Aborginal person.  We are jerks to ourselves.

Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 27, 2006, 03:56:08 am
Did Melanie just give us permission to take some guilty pleasure by telling racist jokes?

Did she?  Because I think she did?

A couple of weeks ago I met a lady who babysits four Navajo children (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/LIFE_IN_UTAH/IMAGES/1024/DSCN11966-E-1024.jpg).  This one (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/LIFE_IN_UTAH/IMAGES/1024/DSCN11974-E-1024.jpg) is a beautiful, but boy could she pull a face (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/LIFE_IN_UTAH/IMAGES/1024/DSCN11983-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2006, 01:08:43 pm
Does this permission extend to me mocking Canada again too?

'Cause I miss that like canucks miss their front teeth.

Dude, don't mock Canada unless you want the creepy old guys in wheelchairs to come get you. With their brooms.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Their curling brooms!
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 27, 2006, 02:40:39 pm
As long as we're doing the racist joke thing, this is the best one I've ever heard.  Apologies in advance.

Q: A black guy and a mexican guy are racing towards the edge of a cliff.  Who wins?

A: Society!
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 27, 2006, 09:14:24 pm
Want to confuse a Jewish guy?  Give him a coupon for free ham.

it is the juxtaposition of the stereotypes that is funny, more so than the stereotypes themselves.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: lprkn on April 28, 2006, 12:44:08 am
So a Scotsman and a Jew are in a restaurant. When the waitress appears with the check, the Scotsman says, "I'll take the tab." The next day's newspaper headlines say, "Jewish Ventriloquist Found Slain."
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 02:54:08 pm
You're all going to think I'm horrible, but this is the racist joke no one could make up.


I'm sorry, I'm so sorry black people.  Please forgive me.


You know I can't even justify putting that up.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 28, 2006, 03:39:37 pm
I predict the whole story will go away on its own. Remember that football team that was all up in the news like a year ago for the party boat incident? Ever hear any closure on that? Or any follow up whatsoever? Me either.
You haven't been paying attention. Which is fine.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: side_show on April 28, 2006, 03:49:39 pm
You're all going to think I'm horrible, but this is the racist joke no one could make up.


I'm sorry, I'm so sorry black people.  Please forgive me.


You know I can't even justify putting that up.

It's too late Flip, I've already handed your address over to the Black Panthers. 

Also, I saw that news story when it was broadcast.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: FlipConstantine on April 28, 2006, 03:59:47 pm
It's too late Flip, I've already handed your address over to the Black Panthers. 

Also, I saw that news story when it was broadcast.

Well, better start stocking up on ammo.  I knew this day would come.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: arkabee on April 28, 2006, 04:20:50 pm

A little explaination on the next one: in Winnipeg the main brand of garbage dumpster is BFI.


short shameful confession.

the first time i heard the phrase "butt fuck egypt" was after i had to ask my "cool" friends in 9th grade what
"BFE" meant, as they used the acronym a lot.

shortly there after, i was convinced that BFI was "butt fuck indiana" for a very long time,
and tried to turn it into a meme amongst my peer group for at least a decade.

<_<

ok, two and a half decades.

Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 28, 2006, 05:56:00 pm
I would like to read arkabee's biography.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 27, 2006, 06:34:34 pm
Update: After contending that he was innocent for months, he pleaded no contest and received 3 years probation.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Doc on October 04, 2006, 08:55:06 am
I just remembered all this, did we ever figure out what actually happened to the guy who was such a dick as to actually use a laptop in public?

Anyways... three years probation eh? So I guess that means he isn't allowed to commit any more crimes for three years, have to give up the nerd bashing for a start. That'll show him.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Fooker on October 30, 2006, 02:56:19 am
If someone kills this guy, I'll pull my stocks and donate them all to the legal defense fund.

Just sayin'.

I want a world where I can use my laptop without fear of being assaulted, god damnit! And if I have to carve out that world by passive-aggressively funding the murder of people who would assault me, by gosh, I'll do it@!@!@!1
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: iron_felix on February 05, 2007, 04:22:34 am
I remembered this thread a few days ago, just in time to realize that this guy was going to be playing in the big game today.

I didn't have any other stake in who won or lost, but I can't say how glad I am that he's not getting a fuck*ng Super Bowl ring.  This would have been a much angrier post.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on February 05, 2007, 04:50:27 am
It's interesting, the correlation people are making between more violent sports and more violent behaviors in society. But what about hockey? I spend most of my time in a media vacuum, so for all I know there could be a rash of NHL-spawned assaults out there, but it seems to me there isn't. I wonder why?
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 05, 2007, 06:20:24 am
Because hockey players keep their riots in the skating rink.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 05, 2007, 05:18:23 pm
I think BFI is pretty much the main brand of dumpster everywhere.

~Paul

I'm pretty sure that Dumpster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_%28brand%29) is the main brand of dumpster.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2007, 08:13:45 pm
I'm pretty sure that Dumpster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_%28brand%29) is the main brand of dumpster.

Yes, you are correct.  I was referring to the company that hauls away the debris.  In that, BFI is the main company to perform that service.  I think.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2007, 09:18:16 pm
Newly signed Bears quarterback arrested for beating up a man for using a laptop in public (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2419713).

Dude, black quarterback? In Chicago? I don't think so - he's a cornerback. I can't believe nobody noticed that. As Bill Simmons says, he's the lost Manning brother.

Also, we always said that BFI stood for "Best Friends International", but then again I'm sort of kind and generous like that.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2007, 09:33:06 pm
FWIW, it stands for Browning Ferris Industries.  I wonder if they have side businesses in concrete shoe manufacturing and distribution.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 18, 2007, 04:23:12 pm
Dude, black quarterback? In Chicago? I don't think so
It's happened.
(http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/mike_giraffe/05/04/giraffe.kordell/p1_stewart_getty3.jpg)
(http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/50_bucs-web.JPG)

Both #10.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 04:28:56 pm
It's happened.

Both #10.

You know, Kordell was actually sort of my point.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 18, 2007, 04:33:02 pm
That he wasn't very good? So Bears fans management will never throw their lot in with a black quarterback as a result? With the team's history of quarterbacking you'd think they would have moved away from the white dudes by now if that were the logic.
Title: Re: Jock beats up nerd, with a twist!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 04:39:58 pm
That he wasn't very good? So Bears fans management will never throw their lot in with a black quarterback as a result? With the team's history of quarterbacking you'd think they would have moved away from the white dudes by now if that were the logic.

Good point - Rexy doesn't hold a candle to Kordell. No, my point was basically a throwaway line about how the stats don't argue for black Bears quarterbacks. I don't think it's a racial thing, it's just that the team's been around for 86 years and they've started few black QBs. Vince Evans played QB for 'em - he was #8.