The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on May 05, 2006, 03:14:59 pm

Title: Godsmacked
Post by: pmcd9 on May 05, 2006, 03:14:59 pm
Godsmack lead singer Sully Erna gets a dick slap in a recent Interview (http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/?p=452) for Arthur magazine.

~Paul
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: arkabee on May 05, 2006, 03:43:28 pm
oh my, that's simply priceless.

Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: lprkn on May 05, 2006, 04:06:25 pm
Not that I'm a fan of Godsmack or anything, but that dude was baiting the singer. The singer fell for it, too. He should have just been like, "Of course we support the military. What the fuck are you gonna do about it?"
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: jough on May 05, 2006, 04:31:05 pm
Godsmack lead singer Sully Erna gets a dick slap in a recent Interview (http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/?p=452) for Arthur magazine.

If by "a dick slap" you mean "ambushed by an asshole reporter with an agenda who is trying to twist a rock musician's words around to try to make him look stupid" then yeah, I guess that was a dick slap.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Godsmack, and the interviewee here seems like he's not too bright a fella, but that interview should have ended after the third or fourth question.  That he held in there for as long as he did is impressive.  I hope the interviewer gets fired for harrassing someone in the name of journalism.

Dick.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: jough on May 05, 2006, 04:34:11 pm
Oh, also, the "magazine" he claims to be writing for doesn't even exist:

http://www.arthurmag.com/

Funny!
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: Roger on May 05, 2006, 04:38:00 pm
I think Sully sent his virtual Apache heela-copter to bomb the mag's server.

Sure, the reporter is a dick. But Godsmack sucks 666 kinds of ass, so that made my day.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2006, 04:43:22 pm
I'm with Jough.  If I've ever heard Godsmack I'm not aware of it.  I'm about as against this war as I can be and I question whether a rock musician who promotes military service really "gets" some of the fundamental philosophical bases of the genre.

All that being said, as a trained journalist that interview turned my stomach.  That wasn't an attempt to get information from or insight about the subject.  It was an attempt to manipulate and embarrass the guy.

Note to Godsmack:  It's OK if you want to support the military.  Just don't be mealy-mouthed about it.  Lprkn has it exactly right.  When that jackass asked if you were promoting military service among your fans, you should have said "Hell Yes, and Fuck you if you don't like it."  Would Keith Moon have engaged in a session of Scott McClellan-esque double talk if that's what he felt?  No.  No he would not.  Have some stones.  Have some dignity.

Of course, my real take on it is that the members of Godsmack never really thought about the political implecations of allowing the US Military to use their music.  They saw the check and that's all she wrote.  'Course, if that's what happened the guy could have said that too.  "Dude, we don't give a shit about the military, but their money's as green as anybody else's.  So Fuck You."
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: Hobot on May 05, 2006, 04:49:28 pm
I'd take an uninformed, misguided hypocrite who doesn't know any better (strangely-named Godsmack fellow) over an arrogant, blindly patriotic hick (most modern country music singers) any day.  I'm just sayin' is all.

But we are ignoring a delightful and important point: the US military uses a song called "Sick of Life" in their recruiting advertisements.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: jough on May 05, 2006, 04:52:32 pm
IF YOU ARE SICK OF LIFE...


JOIN THE ARMY!
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: smick on May 05, 2006, 05:07:34 pm
I think the world needs a TOUAMB style word filter.

Whenever someone uses the phrase "My Friend" in any sort of confrontation it needs to be replaced with "I am a douche."

The reality for Godsmack is that it's likely that they didn't even know their music was going to be used, since they probably don't even  fully own it, and if it came down to it, and they didn't want it sold to the US Govt, they likely wouldn't have a say in the matter.

On a unrelated note, I'm going to be gone for a little while, I've accepted a freelance job from ArthurMag.  They're sending me to go punch some school kids in the mouth for supporting the war via the dairy industry in their school cafeterias.*


(* - Not really)
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: pmcd9 on May 05, 2006, 05:24:11 pm
Yeah, I realize that the interviewee was a dick, I almost pointed that out in my original post, and I was also pretty impressed that Gobsnack dude hung in there for so long, but I was more interested in watching him dig his own grave.  It was funny because his band makes such terrible music.

And yeah I agree that it's ok to be pro military if that's how you feel, but you shouldn't beat around the bush (get it) when an interviewer ask you about it.  The interviewer wasn't very professional and i'm sure he never expected to get as far as he did.  Why the Godsmack dude didn't hang up sooner is a mystery.  I think Sully Erna's mealy mouthed answers agitated him so he kept asking more and more pointed questions trying to get him to commit to a solid opinion.

Of course if you say anything anti war (Dixie Chicks) you get lambasted, so it's good to see the shoe on the other foot.

~Paul
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 05, 2006, 06:36:02 pm
"They’re gonna go and join the Navy because they want to jump out of helicopters and fuckin’ shoot people! Or protect the country or whatever it is, and look at the cool infra-red goggles."

Great quote.  I kind of thought the interview was funny, but it was pretty lame when they were just yelling at each other.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 05, 2006, 08:03:12 pm
Quote
I question whether a rock musician who promotes military service really "gets" some of the fundamental philosophical bases of the genre.


It's just music made by people.

People have different beliefs. If they didn't, there would be no controversy about the war in the first place.




Between this and the thread Q started that seemed to be about religion, some (a few)  of you are really starting to look like closed-minded, intellectually arrogant culture nazis who can't conceive the possibility that A) other points of view can have any possible worth and B) there might be something bigger than you out there. A value or an ideal or something-forbid, even a God.






 
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: misterqueue on May 05, 2006, 08:16:37 pm



Between this and the thread Q started that seemed to be about religion, some (a few)  of you are really starting to look like closed-minded, intellectually arrogant culture nazis who can't conceive the possibility that A) other points of view can have any possible worth and B) there might be something bigger than you out there. A value or an ideal or something-forbid, even a God.
 

Man.. I didn't even post in this thread and I got implicated.

I don't care what ANYone believes as long as they are good people.  I don't think one has to be an athiest/agnostic to admit that that video link I posted is retarded.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2006, 08:29:37 pm
I'll admit to arrogance.  When the promoters of what they call "Christianity" seem dead set on promoting ignorance, intolerance and hatred AND forcing it on the rest of us through the ruthless exploitation of the political process, I reserve the right to be arrogant.  I think I'm better than those amoral fucks.  For what it's worth, I think you are too.

Why don't you read the rest of the damn thread?  If you did you'd notice that nobody is mocking the military or people who support the war.  What I read in this thread was that people thought the so-called "reporter" ambushed the musician guy and that the musician pretty ineptly handled the questioning.  In fact I think I read several times, from several posters, that it was perfectly OK for Godsmack to support the military/war.  We just said if they did they should be stand-up guys about it.

And where I come from, Rock-n-Roll is about youthful rebellion and indviduality.  It's about raw emotion.  In my opinion those aren't qualities that are highly valued by the military.

As far as other points of view having worth, here's what I'll do.  I'll continue to evaluate them on the basis of how much solid evidence they're based upon and how they are rationally and logically derived from that evidence.  I reserve the right to laugh at a smarmy lightweight like Kirk Cameron and a smirking pseudo-Scientist with an agenda fondling bananas.

You know what?  Sometimes people do funny, stupid stuff.  Sometimes liberals & intellectuals do stupid stuff.  Sometimes conservatives do stupid stuff.  I reserve the right to laugh at all of them, even the ones on my side, when they do something stupid/funny. 

One more thing:  People can have all sorts of conceptions of God.  Some of us conceive of God as something other than a white-bearded berobed guy who's itching to damn us.  There are also lots and lots of values and ideals.  I value honesty -- intellectual and otherwise, kindness and love.  If the only God you recognize is Pat Robertson's and the only values you recognize are what the Republican party calls "Family Values", well then, now who's being arrogant?
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: V-Adore on May 05, 2006, 08:47:29 pm
Once again, August has taken the words out of my mouth and made them much better than I could have. The only intolerance I see, in this thread or the Kirk Cameron thread, is towards idiocy.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: theinevitable on May 05, 2006, 10:11:20 pm
hear hear!

or.... hear, hear!

how do I punctuate this exclamation?

*tries to agree with Aug and derail the thread at the same time, for the children*
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 05, 2006, 11:54:00 pm
I'll admit to arrogance.  When the promoters of what they call "Christianity" seem dead set on promoting ignorance, intolerance and hatred AND forcing it on the rest of us through the ruthless exploitation of the political process, I reserve the right to be arrogant.  I think I'm better than those amoral fucks.  For what it's worth, I think you are too.

Why don't you read the rest of the damn thread?  If you did you'd notice that nobody is mocking the military or people who support the war.  What I read in this thread was that people thought the so-called "reporter" ambushed the musician guy and that the musician pretty ineptly handled the questioning.  In fact I think I read several times, from several posters, that it was perfectly OK for Godsmack to support the military/war.  We just said if they did they should be stand-up guys about it.

And where I come from, Rock-n-Roll is about youthful rebellion and indviduality.  It's about raw emotion.  In my opinion those aren't qualities that are highly valued by the military.

As far as other points of view having worth, here's what I'll do.  I'll continue to evaluate them on the basis of how much solid evidence they're based upon and how they are rationally and logically derived from that evidence.  I reserve the right to laugh at a smarmy lightweight like Kirk Cameron and a smirking pseudo-Scientist with an agenda fondling bananas.

You know what?  Sometimes people do funny, stupid stuff.  Sometimes liberals & intellectuals do stupid stuff.  Sometimes conservatives do stupid stuff.  I reserve the right to laugh at all of them, even the ones on my side, when they do something stupid/funny. 

One more thing:  People can have all sorts of conceptions of God.  Some of us conceive of God as something other than a white-bearded berobed guy who's itching to damn us.  There are also lots and lots of values and ideals.  I value honesty -- intellectual and otherwise, kindness and love.  If the only God you recognize is Pat Robertson's and the only values you recognize are what the Republican party calls "Family Values", well then, now who's being arrogant?

I read the thread. The only thing I commented on from this thread was the idea that a musician should be constrained by the genre to a certain way of thinking or behaving, which I disagree with. Youthful arrogance and whatever aside, it's still about talent and it's still about making music and there should be room for different points of view everywhere.

Since you'll cop to the arrogance, I'll stand by the rest.

Whatever you believe to be God is cool with me. Whatever Kirk Cameron believes is OK too. If people are reacting to what he is saying, it might be that they feel like whatever they believe is being threatened. That's a lack of faith. I don't stand by his words nor do I feel the need to reactionarily mock him because what I believe I believe strongly enough not to be affected.

To broadlly paint Christians in the way that seems fairly consistent on this board is insulting to ALL of us, not just Kirk Cameron. I realize it's currently in vogue and sporting to do so, and sure he's an easy target and makes himself one, but that doesn't make it OK to generalize.

Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: Mite on May 06, 2006, 12:18:37 am
I'm not threatened by his beliefs, trust me, but the truth is his beliefs do affect me. His belief system is getting legislated into my biology classrooms. My kid may someday get a substandard education because of the legislators this guy and his buddies have got in their pocket. The quality of America's science and math education is already in the toilet, comparatively. I don't see why we have to handicap ourselves further.

I'm all for a pluralistic society. My coworker has talked my ear off for the last two weeks about psychics and shamen and her new wheat- and gluten- and yeast- and sugar-free diet that's supposed to cure her alleged yeast allergy, and I politely kept my skeptical mouth shut, because that doesn't affect me (though it is obnoxious). But if the school cafeteria is ever required by law to start serving only foods that she can eat, I'll get pissed at her, too.

And those durn Christians created those durn blue laws that keep me from buying a six-pack on a Sunday. They suck (the laws, not the Christians).
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 06, 2006, 12:23:42 am
I'm not threatened by his beliefs, trust me, but the truth is his beliefs do affect me. His belief system is getting legislated into my biology classrooms. My kid may someday get a substandard education because of the legislators this guy and his buddies have got in their pocket. The quality of America's science and math education is already in the toilet, comparatively. I don't see why we have to handicap ourselves further.

I'm all for a pluralistic society. My coworker has talked my ear off for the last two weeks about psychics and shamen and her new wheat- and gluten- and yeast- and sugar-free diet that's supposed to cure her alleged yeast allergy, and I politely kept my skeptical mouth shut, because that doesn't affect me (though it is obnoxious). But if the school cafeteria is ever required by law to start serving only foods that she can eat, I'll get pissed at her, too.

And those durn Christians created those durn blue laws that keep me from buying a six-pack on a Sunday. They suck (the laws, not the Christians).

Couldn't have said it better.  Believe what you want, but you bring it into the arena of politics and secular life, then it is no longer a belief.  At that point it is a threat to say that your theologically derived misinterpretation of the word "theory" is something that should be taught to everyone else's children.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: theinevitable on May 06, 2006, 12:39:55 am
I don't know how well I can articulate this... but I"m going to damn well try.

I was listening to NPR during all the riots about the Danish cartoons. A specialist on the Middle East came on, and he said that one word came up in every interview with a rioter-- "embarassment." He said, essentially, that this is the problem with politics in the Middle East:

-Our Religion is the One True Religion.
-Our government (at least, in the country he was talking about. Iran? Maybe?) is based on this Religion.
-Our political leaders are appointed due to the will of Allah.
and then:
-We are technologically, militarily, and economically behind the rest of the world.

and so, as a young, educated Muslim... you have to wonder. If our religion is the one true religion, and we act according to this, and yet we are failing, while Infidels triumph in almost every situation, seduce our children away from our Faith with sex and drugs and secularism... what does that mean? How can we be failing this completely?

This is why a religiously based government is dangerous. Once articles of faith get in a position where they can be disproven, you have a problem.

this is similar to why religion should stay away from evolutionary theory.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2006, 12:49:02 am
Whatever you believe to be God is cool with me. Whatever Kirk Cameron believes is OK too. If people are reacting to what he is saying, it might be that they feel like whatever they believe is being threatened. That's a lack of faith. I don't stand by his words nor do I feel the need to reactionarily mock him because what I believe I believe strongly enough not to be affected.

We react to what he's saying because it's funny as hell, not because it threatens anything (other than common sense).  I'm not at all threatened by reflexologists but I still enjoy a good laugh at their expense when they're on Bullshit. We're not laughing because he's talking about god or christianity or intelligent design but because the specious reasoning is comically bad no matter what the topic.

Also, the word "faith" is inappropriate because I'm sure a lot of the people doing the laughing don't have any.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2006, 01:27:16 am
The only thing I commented on from this thread was the idea that a musician should be constrained by the genre to a certain way of thinking or behaving, which I disagree with.

Not really.

Quote
...some (a few)  of you are really starting to look like closed-minded, intellectually arrogant culture nazis who can't conceive the possibility that A) other points of view can have any possible worth and B) there might be something bigger than you out there. A value or an ideal or something-forbid, even a God.

Those are some pretty pointed comments.

Quote
To broadlly paint Christians in the way that seems fairly consistent on this board is insulting to ALL of us, not just Kirk Cameron.

Maybe, maybe not.  I not quite a few Christians who share my sentiments about Kirk Cameron and his ilk and wouldn't be even slightly insulted by what's been said about him.  I also have some choice words about Fred Phelps, who professes to be a better Christian than any of us.  Would you feel insulted by what I had to say about him? 

But you're correct, we shouldn't paint we a broad brush.  Not all Muslims are terrorists, after all.  But I do recall certain questions being asked about what moderate Muslims are doing to combat the forces of extremism within their religion.  Couldn't we ask the same about Christians?

And I'd rather be arrogant than willfully ignorant.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 06, 2006, 01:27:54 am
You guys keep bringing up politics like it's relevant.

You don't like your legislators? Vote them out.

You don't like blue laws? Vote to eliminate them.

There's two ways to go: make changes in your community or move to a community with values similar to your own. Organize. Educate. Make social change happen.

I don't like blue laws anymore than you do. I think they're outmoded and don't really do anything but force values on people without social benefit. but if 50.1% of the voters like them, they stay like it or not. Convince .2% of the people to vote the other way is one solution, finding a community where the laws, legislators and values fit you is another.

Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 06, 2006, 01:33:48 am
And I'd rather be arrogant than willfully ignorant.

Hmm. I might choose to be quiet over either.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2006, 01:38:08 am
Organize. Educate. Make social change happen.

That's precisely what I'm trying to do. 

Quote
Hmm. I might choose to be quiet over either.

Yet you didn't.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2006, 01:41:14 am
You don't like blue laws? Vote to eliminate them.

Tattoos are finally legal in all 50 states
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2006, 02:02:49 am
I think I'm done with this.  As Wombat so aptly pointed out in Chat, it's probably not a good idea to engage in debate with an under-employed lawyer.  So to avoid any (further) hard-feelings, I'm going to (to quote Saint Alton of Brown) Just Walk Away.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2006, 02:11:32 am
I'm going to (to quote Saint Alton of Brown) Just Walk Away.

But...but there's still lumps in my pancake batter!
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: AugustWest on May 06, 2006, 02:12:30 am
Just. Walk. Away.
Title: Re: Godsmacked
Post by: jough on May 06, 2006, 02:43:55 am
So, to summarise: Godsmack: schmucks.  Interviewer: asshole.  AlohaDawg: self-righteous and indignant.  August: pissed off yet rational.  Alton Brown: good advice.  This thread: closed.