The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: robot_god on May 09, 2006, 10:51:29 pm

Title: Do you like to golf?
Post by: robot_god on May 09, 2006, 10:51:29 pm
I plan on playing much golf this spring/summer/fall.

I've played at least a par 3 course at least once every year since very small times.

After taking my last final of the semester today, I bought two nice maduros and went down to the driving range with a buddy to celebrate his 21st birthday.  I hate those rubber tees, though, I can't find it possible to drive off a rubber tee that is two inches tall.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: smick on May 09, 2006, 11:24:54 pm
I do!

I didn't for a long time, but every spring, when the sun comes out, everyone else in the office would disappear to the course for an afternoon each week.

I didn't golf, so I didn't bother going.   Eventually I realized, they were off being paid to play golf, and I was sitting at a computer for 4 hours.

The set of clubs quickly paid for themselves.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 09, 2006, 11:31:37 pm
I have a love/hate relationship with the particular game of golf.

for every good shot, I hit 5 bad ones. It's like a drug though, I keep chasing those good shots. It's like a nightmare while I'm doing it but good memories afterward.

It's like being in an abusive relationship.

I love golf even though it hurts me sometimes. It'll change, I know it will, if I just love it enough.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AugustWest on May 10, 2006, 01:33:00 am
My name is August West and I'm a recovering golfer.

What Dawg said pretty much applies to me too.

I played as often as I could (usually 1 - 2 a month, occasionally more) for 10 years.  Those (oh so rare) good shots kept be coming back.  But it nearly impossible to improve unless you're playing regularly, say at least once a week.

About two years ago I decided that golf was no longer worth the time, frustration and money I was investing in it.  So I made a conscious decision to quit.  I still play once or twice a year.  My inlaws have a family scramble, and if somebody I like asks me, I'll play.  But I don't go out on my own anymore and I don't set up games with friends.

Oddly enough though, I've felt strangely drawn to the golf course recently.  Maybe I'll go out one day soon.  Who knows?
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2006, 01:45:10 am
we live on a golf course.
my dad used to dream about living by a golf course.
now his back is crap, and if he plays he's in pain for weeks.
so he never plays.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: lprkn on May 10, 2006, 01:50:37 am
The Saddest Thing.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 10, 2006, 05:35:53 pm
That's irony.

Does he have disk problems? I can't think of anything worse than the twisting and swinging motion of golf for disk problems.

Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2006, 09:03:12 pm
I'm not completely sure what is wrong with his back. I mean, I don't think golf was really a big passion or anything, but he'd always wanted to get into it.

it also might have to do with an old shoulder injury.

this is the injury that happens when you dislocate your shoulder in a basketball game, and put it back in by yourself.
and then keep playing in the basketball game.
he is 50 today! I got him the new Neal Young record.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2006, 04:20:18 am

OK, whip out your golf dicks:

Best handicap - 7.3
Current - 14.7

I play full length courses and post ALL cards.

Clearly you have the big swingin' member in this crowd.  A 7 handicap?  Damn!  That means you broke 80 on a regular basis at some point.  That's serious bidness.

If I started playing once or twice I week, I think I could be in the 90s by the end of the summer.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: robot_god on May 11, 2006, 06:53:10 am
OK, whip out your golf dicks:

Umm, I once shot a four on a par four...
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: smick on May 11, 2006, 03:24:54 pm
I totally hit par on a hole once.

Once.

My boss almost killed me once, too.   I was standing behind him, he drove, and the ball went directly 180 degrees from where he expected it to go.   At that particular instant, I was down on one knee, tying my shoe.   The ball did this amazing tight arc right over me.

I didn't even realize what had happened until I heard it knock into the bench off to my side.   When I looked up, the rest of the foursome was gaping at me.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2006, 03:37:50 pm
I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 03:41:48 pm
I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.

Since I know nothing of sports that sounds vaguely hot.

Are high fives in order?  Did she like it?

these are the things one thinks when they browse threads they really have no business being in.  I'm sorry, please do continue with your thing here folks.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2006, 04:19:00 pm
I'd have too much to live up to to even try golf. My uncle is crazy-active golfer and my cousin actually had a PGA card for a year after placing in some national tournament. I'd just end up hurting myself and/or the grass.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2006, 05:43:24 pm
I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.

I almost birdied a par three once by totally overhitting the drive (with a 1-iron! I actually had a 1-iron). It hit a tree dead center 30 yards behind the hole and bounced back to within 3" of the cup.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: wombat on May 11, 2006, 06:29:20 pm
I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.

I like how almost any sentence about golf is less comprehensible to me than, say, #####*****'s chat room contributions. I am deeply committed to never learning anything about golf that would ruin this effect.

Carry on.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: CortJstr on May 11, 2006, 06:37:53 pm
I like how almost any sentence about golf is less comprehensible to me than, say, ******#####'s chat room contributions. I am deeply committed to never learning anything about golf that would ruin this effect.

Carry on.

This is true of all sports (as well as "sports"). You should watch MXC where the announcers just make up terms like these on the fly but act as if everybody knows what they mean.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2006, 08:44:59 pm
I heard that during thunderstorms, Lee Trevino would hold a 1-iron up in the air, because even God can't hit a 1-iron.

Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: Drygioni on May 11, 2006, 08:51:55 pm
I heard that during thunderstorms, Lee Trevino would hold a 1-iron up in the air, because even God can't hit a 1-iron.

Oh thanks! Now I just sprayed milk all over my keyboard. (Fuck you dirty dudes, I was simply straight-up drinking a glass of milk)

I play pitch and putt quite often. I can birdie most holes, but if I get stuck in sand you better bring a Vonnegut-sized book with you.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: smick on May 11, 2006, 09:49:20 pm
I play pitch and putt quite often.

Are there windmills and open-mouthed clowns involved in that?
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: Drygioni on May 11, 2006, 10:06:53 pm
Are there windmills and open-mouthed clowns involved in that?

Cheeky bugger, it is Real Golf. It's just on a smaller scale. (Hit ball fairly far to green (pitch), then just taaap it in. (putt).)

Just taaap it in. Tap-tap-taparoo.



Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2006, 11:00:20 pm
I played a pitch and putt in Myrtle Beach once. It's like a par two where what you need is a wedge and a putter.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: smick on May 11, 2006, 11:30:22 pm
Haha, I wasn't being *too* cheeky.   I hadn't heard of "Pitch and Putt" before.  Thought it might be a chain of Mini-golf.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 13, 2006, 12:04:13 am
I thought I was being taken to a batting cages/minigolf place with a name like "Pitch and Putt"
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2006, 12:06:11 am
I thought I was being taken to a batting cages/minigolf place with a name like "Pitch and Putt"

I was picturing one of those places in the suburbs that's a driving range for dad and minigolf for the kids.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: smick on May 13, 2006, 06:53:24 pm
We have nothing like that here.  I would love something like that.   

That would be something that I would love.
Title: Re: Do you like to golf?
Post by: AugustWest on May 13, 2006, 09:19:48 pm
I thought Pitch and Putt was what we called Par 3 golf here.