The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 05:43:59 pm

Title: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 05:43:59 pm
Starting this weekend, I'm going to be absent from this board for an indeterminable period.

Some of you may know, but I'm a member of the Marine Corps Reserve. I'm getting activated to go to Iraq, and I probably won't have much computer access for the next few months. I'll pop in when I can though, as I do like this board a lot. Although I don't always post, I do at least read the goings on every day. This is definitely the best messageboard I have stumbled across on the interwebs. I do have a Flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lprkn/), which I will attempt to update regularly, as soon as I get a digital camera. Also, Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/lprkn).
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: misterqueue on May 11, 2006, 05:46:06 pm
Good Luck to you Sir.

There will be a severe lacking of LepreKHAN until your return, it is a sad thing.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 11, 2006, 05:46:29 pm
You stay safe. We'll keep the lights on for you.

Do you know where you're going yet? I have a cousin and a friend in Bagdhad, one with the rebuilding authority and another wrenching on trucks for the Army.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Hobot on May 11, 2006, 05:49:12 pm
Dang, man, you will be sorely missed.  Good luck and whatnot!
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Ben-San on May 11, 2006, 05:51:09 pm
May the power of El Porkino be with you, Lap Rakin'.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 11, 2006, 05:51:22 pm
Stay safe, man, and good luck.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 05:53:50 pm
Do you know where you're going yet?

Nope, but probably an air base to provide security. Pretty safe, as these things go.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: V-Adore on May 11, 2006, 05:56:11 pm
Stay safe, and don't be a stranger, lprkn.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2006, 06:02:39 pm
Good luck, take care of yourself and thank you.

Let us know how you are doing.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Roger on May 11, 2006, 06:07:22 pm
I pity the fools who try to mess with your air base.
(sorry man, I can't help but picture you as Mr. T)

Take care and be home soon.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 11, 2006, 06:08:14 pm
Be well. Help people where you can, follow through on what you believe to be true when you can.

But be well.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Drygioni on May 11, 2006, 06:11:26 pm
We await your return eagerly. I know you'll do your friends, family and country proud. Stay safe!
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: smick on May 11, 2006, 06:12:04 pm
Keep your eyes open and take in everything there is to see there.

Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: jough on May 11, 2006, 06:22:50 pm
Be well, Porkin.  May Good Board Contributor Karma follow you wherever you go.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: robot_god on May 11, 2006, 06:57:38 pm
:salute:
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: wombat on May 11, 2006, 07:40:07 pm
I think a note from your commanding officer will be sufficient.  Shouldn't we have a form to fill out?  Too many people going AWOL around here.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: theinevitable on May 11, 2006, 08:12:58 pm
best of luck.
stay safe, and make sure you bring some extra socks. You never know when you'll need extra socks.



I don't care what "the other guy's moms message-board-friends" do! I'm telling you to bring socks! Goddamnit, do you want to go or not!?

but for real, stay safe over there.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on May 11, 2006, 11:52:04 pm
Incidentally, I am taking a lot of socks. Can't beat the feeling of fresh socks.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: miles on May 12, 2006, 04:42:29 am
Good luck, man.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Doc on May 12, 2006, 06:03:22 am
Serious times dogg, may the luck of the efficiently spelt irish (rsh?) go with you.

If possible, try to infiltrate the australian military, one of our guys died over there by accident (they think, still investigating) and it was all over the news for 2 weeks. The point I'm trying to get across is that wherever our guys are it seems there isn't too much dying going down so it might be a good place to hang.

Jough, can we get the man some serious dr. peppers to sustain him through this time?
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: jough on May 12, 2006, 11:59:30 am
How many would you suggest, Doc?
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: wombat on May 12, 2006, 01:38:34 pm
It's dry and hot there, I believe.  The man could go through quite a few tiny soft drinks in such a place.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Mite on May 12, 2006, 01:42:01 pm
Dude, I ignore the boards for a day and people get deployed. Good luck to you sir, let us know if you need any care packagey stuff.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on May 12, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
I definitely will. I don't know what my address will be, but a couple of mixdiscs now and then would be awesome.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on May 12, 2006, 05:23:13 pm
I don't know how many wombat will suggest, but I suggest he needs tiny cans in a number to match the total weiner supply that he will be protecting. 

How many weiners do you have lprkn? 

Wait... that came out all wrong.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on May 12, 2006, 07:34:12 pm
That's me, protectin' that weiner supply from... hot dog vendors?

Militant vegetarians?

I got nothin'.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 12, 2006, 11:42:24 pm
Remember kids, whenever you deploy your wiener, wear your body armor.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: oball on May 15, 2006, 01:27:16 am
Hey man, good luck with the whole freedom-defending thing.  If you see al-Zarqawi, kick him in the scrote.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Doc on May 17, 2006, 05:32:02 am
It's a week later and he's probably gone already but for some reason the only number I can think of is '2 large plus change' so he can take it and run.
Either that or just way up the number he gets one someone gives him one and let the board decide.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on June 01, 2006, 10:48:59 pm
I'm here in in sunny (and humid) Camp Lejeune, NC. I should start actual training here in a couple of days. Everything is cool, except the weather.

Doc, your avatar is creepier than ever.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: AugustWest on June 01, 2006, 11:13:12 pm
What are you training to be?

I assume you've already been through basic.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: theinevitable on June 02, 2006, 02:35:44 am
NC!? Yay! I am in that state.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Doc on June 02, 2006, 02:44:17 am
Good to hear from you again leppercorn, how you finding life in the service anyway? Ordered a code red yet?

My avatar nothing, you should see the one's Roger's been throwing out while you were gone.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 02, 2006, 03:15:02 am
Porkin!!!!  Man i've been missing you.  Is our nations weiner supply safe this night?

~Paul
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on June 08, 2006, 01:43:17 am
Yes, yes of course. You can rest easy tonight knowing that the weiners of America are safe from alll those who wish them ill.

To answer AugustWest's question: yes, I have already been through recruit training, I was actually in the Marine reserves for two years before I got activated. I'm already an artillery cannoneer, but I won't be performing that duty in Iraq. Looks like it's going to be some kind of security-type job at an air base.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Doc on June 08, 2006, 02:13:01 am
Man they should give you a cannon anyway: you're doing a patrol, bad dudes show up and BAM you whip a cannon out of your holster. Totally awesome, high fives all round.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: wombat on June 08, 2006, 10:01:19 am
We still have cannons?

Can you shoot clowns out of them or something?
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2006, 01:07:57 pm
Man they should give you a cannon anyway: you're doing a patrol, bad dudes show up and BAM you whip a cannon out of your holster. Totally awesome, high fives all round.

If you're going to carry a hand cannon then you must dress up like Rick Deckard. It's the rules.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2006, 02:26:11 pm
We still have cannons?

Can you shoot clowns out of them or something?

This is basically the best idea ever.  Just fire clowns at the enemy.  Either humour will war their hearts, or the clowns will set up outlets of a global fastfood chain, and the enemy's nation will be brought down by obesity and poor nutrition.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: Hobot on June 08, 2006, 02:43:54 pm
This is basically the best idea ever.  Just fire clowns at the enemy.  Either humour will war their hearts, or the clowns will set up outlets of a global fastfood chain, and the enemy's nation will be brought down by obesity and poor nutrition.

Or the enemy will be kept awake at night in the fear that the clowns will eat them.  Eventually, after a few days with no sleep, hallucinations and other such manifestations of extreme sleep deprivation will get the better of them, and they will surrender.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: misterqueue on June 08, 2006, 02:47:39 pm
Yes, a clown army would be severely creepy indeed. (http://www.clownz.com/images/pogo.jpg)


(Don't look hobot!)
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2006, 10:08:55 pm
Yes, a clown army would be severely creepy indeed. (http://www.clownz.com/images/pogo.jpg)


(Don't look hobot!)

You have ruined my sleep. 
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: misterqueue on June 08, 2006, 10:16:13 pm
You have ruined my sleep. 

My work here is done.


</Deletes Account>
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2006, 05:34:24 am
oh my god.
I am officially confusing you people with people that I know in real life.
and confusing "the board" with "a dream."

thus:

"oh man, jennifer, I had a dream last night that you were afraid of clowns, and Parker was making fun of you about it!"

this was a scant time ago. I do not think I shall tell the girl that I was confusing her with Hobot.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: linnea on June 09, 2006, 05:59:48 am
Ipkrn, nice avatar. Those 80s vanity albums of Teodor's are the best.

Are you getting deployed...overseas? Just make sure that you don't dump your fiancee by phone while she is at work when you finally to get to come back Stateside, okay? Just checking.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 12:40:24 pm
Dude, Porkin is good people.  He ain't no crap dude like your ex.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on June 10, 2006, 01:14:58 pm
Brief story of a crap military dude:  My bestfriend was strait up in love with a guy.  She was dating the guy, who was with the military, and he said he was being deployed to Zimbabwe on a peace-keeping mission with his buddy.  So she has a tearful good-bye with him where she promises to wait for him.  Two days later she is out at the local watering hole, and the guy's buddy walks in.  The buddy who was supposed to be deployed with the guy.  She puts two and two together and furiously demands the buddy call up the guy's place on the phone right there in the bar.  She stands next to the buddy as he jovially speaks to the guy on the phone, then takes over the call.  She is mad-up furious. 

Not so say our Wiener man is at all like that.  But using military service to end a relationship is basically classic.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: wombat on June 10, 2006, 03:50:31 pm
So he thought that he would never accidentally run into her?  And no one else was going to mention him to her?  It worries me that the military contains such stupid people.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on June 11, 2006, 01:35:10 pm
Well even though she made a tearful proclamation to wait for him, he told her he believed that while he was "gone" that she would cheat on him.  He basically wanted her to be the "bad" person in the relationship.  I guess that didn't work out, eh? 

Anyway, yes, he was basically stupid enough to think they wouldn't run into each other.


....Wait... Lprkn... are you.... are you breaking up with us?  ....Are you using the war in Iraq as an excuse to end it?
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: lprkn on July 08, 2006, 03:10:17 am
Well...you see...the thing is...I don't know if I'm ready for this type of committment. You're basically the best messageboard I've ever been with, but I still feel like there's a lot left I want to do as a single guy, ummmm...It's not you, it's me. (enough ellipses, everyone?)

Just kidding.

Also, using military service as an excuse to break up with someone is certainly a crappy move. I am currently unattached, and it did make the deployment process a little easier.
Title: Re: Will I have to get a note from my parents?
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2006, 01:57:39 pm
Also, using military service as an excuse to break up with someone is certainly a crappy move. I am currently unattached, and it did make the deployment process a little easier.

You mean the last 213 posts meant nothing to you?  *sniffles*  Fine.  Fine.  Then go... just... go.