The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on May 16, 2006, 12:48:50 am

Title: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: mrdna1 on May 16, 2006, 12:48:50 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05162006

All is again right in the world of Achewood. Ray's an asshole and Teodor has a vaguely 80s hipster-ish taste in music.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 16, 2006, 12:56:17 am
I think the title was missed.  How is it not "Baths Only"?  That really made me laugh out loud (L.O.L.).  I enjoyed this strip, but:

A) Wha happen to Keith Moon's Head?
B) Why the weird time to update?


My theory RE: item B is that O had somewhere he was going with the head story and it didn't pan out and instead we got this.  Oh well, Robert Smith's torso was totally worth it.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2006, 12:59:45 am
I think this was a great, graceful, humorous way for Ray to rectify the situation.  Go Ray!
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: CortJstr on May 16, 2006, 01:02:03 am
What the hell? I don't get this at all.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: mrdna1 on May 16, 2006, 01:08:48 am
I think the title was missed.  How is it not "Baths Only"?  That really made me laugh out loud (L.O.L.).  I enjoyed this strip, but:

A) Wha happen to Keith Moon's Head?
B) Why the weird time to update?


My theory RE: B is that O had somewhere he was going with the head story and it didn't pan out and instead we got this.  Oh well, Robert Smith's torso was totally worth it.
The strip on the 12th showed the lid back on Keith's jar, so I'm assuming that we won't be seeing too much more of his head except for perhaps a cameo or two in the near future. Perhaps Onstad was just trying to annoy the people (like me) who were sick of long storylines and wanted to make us think he had another one up his sleeve?

And there were plenty of title choices in that strip, so I just kinda randomly pointed to one and used it. I probably would've used "Don't tell me you take a shower, now! So not goth!" had I not been worried about space issues.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2006, 01:13:42 am
This is so Ray, it is beautiful.

And I did not know that Bathing was Goth. Education.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2006, 01:18:37 am
man.
I am choosing to interpret the alt text as saying that girl-goths pee standing.

which, judging from teh girl-goths I know, makes sense.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: misterqueue on May 16, 2006, 01:27:16 am
Hi.  I cannot comment on this strip because it made me poke my eyes out with skewers.

It was like he could not resolve it and so he went back to that old standby "makin' fun of goths!"  Which, you know, is fun, but at the end of the day... meh... giraffe meet barrel.


Certainly Ray would've done better I suspect. 

Okay, enough complaining about my free entertainment.  Back into the hole now.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2006, 01:37:27 am
Hi.  I cannot comment on this strip because it made me poke my eyes out with skewers.

It was like he could not resolve it and so he went back to that old standby "makin' fun of goths!"  Which, you know, is fun, but at the end of the day... meh... giraffe meet barrel.


Heh, your nose is just out of joint because you're gothier than the gothest goth in Gothtown.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: V-Adore on May 16, 2006, 01:41:54 am
I think the real absurdity of this comes from how Teodor is clearly playing along with Ray's idiotic plan and letting Ray think he's terribly clever. That Teodor -- so considerate.

I predict a comeback for the Keith Moon head eventually. It cannot stay contained!
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: Fooker on May 16, 2006, 01:43:54 am
WWRSD?

What would Ray Smuckles do?

This is what he would do.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: oball on May 16, 2006, 01:48:12 am
Possibilities for the Keith Moon Head:

Philippe makes friends with the Head and has Adventures.
Todd sells drugs to the Head.
Lyle opens the jar, ignores the snapping rockstar within, and drains the contents.
Emeril, Spongebath and Roast Beef are mildly alarmed to see Keith Moon's Head in a jar out with the rest of Ray's recycling on Friday morning.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: misterqueue on May 16, 2006, 01:53:33 am
Heh, your nose is just out of joint because you're gothier than the gothest goth in Gothtown.

I believe it was Voltaire who said, "Well, then fuck you." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12092005)


(Seriously though.. makin' fun of goths again?  Yawn.)
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: robot_god on May 16, 2006, 01:59:12 am
Mmmmm, I know what I'm eating this week (skirt steak with an herb sauce).
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: CortJstr on May 16, 2006, 02:00:51 am
I think the real absurdity of this comes from how Teodor is clearly playing along with Ray's idiotic plan and letting Ray think he's terribly clever. That Teodor -- so considerate.

Sorry Ray, I can't hear you. The bubbles are popping pretty bad.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2006, 03:28:56 am
I'd always assumed that all goths, boys and girls, peed lying down.

Because sitting up for any reason other than to pretend you're a vampire ("Oooooooh, I'm riiiiiiising out of a cofffffffffffffffin! Take a piiiiiiiiiiiiicture for my myyyyyyyyyyyyyspace page!") seems to smack of effort for them.

And anyway I think once a movement, even a Very Lame Movement, gets a store in every mall everywhere, their being too easy a target no longer applies to them. Every time anyone passes a Hot Topic, warm bile rises up into their throat that can only be choked back out of fear of imprisonment, correct? I'm not alone on this?

When everyone always has to see it all the time, it's no longer just an easy comic target.

It is a valve that must be released, from time to time.

Else we are imprisoned, even though what we would be doing would be completely right.

But I guess you learn something every day:

Goths will move to pee.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: Bimmicus on May 16, 2006, 09:44:32 am
Hurray! Achewood is back! Missed you bro.
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: branwell on May 16, 2006, 10:28:54 am
To me, this strip has virtually nothing to do with making fun of Goths.  The target is more Ray -- his previously-established (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01282005) fixation (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102004) on Teodor's fondness for the Cure (does Teodor even like the Cure?  We know Pat (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002) does, but Teodor's never mentioned it directly), his muddled notion of what being a goth entails, the resultant incompetent attempt to impersonate Robert Smith, etc.  To me, it's much in the same vein as the strip where Ray re-created Cheers for Beef on the evidence that Beef said he liked Cheers -- except that the relationship between Ray and Beef is nothing like the one between Ray and Teodor.  (Much less disdain on Beef's part, for one thing.)  So here, we get Ray's awkwardness and incompetence played up, because that's how Teodor perceives him..

And just as well, really.  I'm not sure why I found the whole Keith Moon's Head thing so seriously unnerving, but I certainly did.  Good riddance, Keith Moon's Head!
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: Doc on May 16, 2006, 10:31:34 am
The joke of this strip to me isn't 'haha funny goths' but more that this is what Ray believes goth to be like and further that this was the best plan he could come up with.
Just imagine 'don't tell me you take a shower now' as said by a down-home texas gentleman in an amused fatherly way.

Actually I don't think Ray believes he is fooling Teodore,  he just uses extreme tangents to fend off akward moments, this kind of a progression from "hey beef look I'm htting myself."
Title: Re: 16 May 2006 - Robert Smith cannot HEEEAR YOOUUUUU!
Post by: Brien on May 23, 2006, 09:55:51 pm

How is this read as a cheap "make fun of goths" gag?  ???

Actually I don't think Ray believes he is fooling Teodore,  he just uses extreme tangents to fend off akward moments, this kind of a progression from "hey beef look I'm htting myself."

Oh man. I hadnt thought of that. I just thought that Ray was getting dumber (in the same way Homer Simpson does when the writers cannot think of anything clever). I am a firm believer in your theory on the way the cartoon cat is behaving in this comic strip.