The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Drygioni on May 17, 2006, 04:55:06 pm

Title: Comics
Post by: Drygioni on May 17, 2006, 04:55:06 pm
Figured that one of these might be useful. I included the poll because I like polls. If there have been any previous threads, they weren't recent. So think of it as a sexy, sleek modern thread on comics.

Webcomics:
I myself read far too many, though I could say Achewood, Dr McNinja, Scarygoround, Concerned and the Perry Bible Fellowship as a top five. There are also other far more embarrassing ones which we won't go into.

Paper comics:
Pretty much just Calvin and Hobbes collections!

Strike me down with the pox if this is unnecessary. I've got my jabs.

Title: Re: Comics
Post by: wombat on May 17, 2006, 05:24:44 pm
You may only post a thread on this topic if you also tell us the embarassing ones.

CONFESS.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 17, 2006, 05:30:40 pm
I read a redonkulous amount of webcomics, in addition to the Marvel addiction I maintain in the real world.  My webcomic habit includes, but is not limited to, Diesel Sweeties, Overcompensating, Goats, Dinosaur Comics, Dr. McNinja, A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, Perfect Stars, Dresden Codak, Penny Arcade, PVP, The Magic Inkwell, Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life, Questionable Content, Something Positive, Cat And Girl, Order of the Stick, Starslip Crisis, Superosity, Sinfest, Natalie Dee, Toothpaste For Dinner, Ugly Hill, Hate Song... Yes I do have too much free time.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Drygioni on May 17, 2006, 05:33:27 pm
You may only post a thread on this topic if you also tell us the embarassing ones.

CONFESS.

Good use of your 2500th post!

Three examples: D&D based gamers comic (http://www.giantitp.com) (I don't play D&D, honest!), Metal Gear Solid thingy (http://www.gigaville.com) (don't play that, either), and VGcats. (http://www.vgcats.com). I have nothing else to say, other than that they are all gamer comics. I feel dirty reading them, but like midget porn you can't help but want more.  ;D

Title: Re: Comics
Post by: misterqueue on May 17, 2006, 05:41:00 pm
Good use of your 2500th post!

Three examples: D&D based gamers comic (http://www.giantitp.com) (I don't play D&D, honest!), Metal Gear Solid thingy (http://www.gigaville.com) (don't play that, either), and VGcats. (http://www.vgcats.com). I have nothing else to say, other than that they are all gamer comics. I feel dirty reading them, but like midget porn you can't help but want more.  ;D



You're not the only GITP reader around here.  I know of at least 2 others beside myself.

Yes to most things already mentioned except I cannot, for the life of me, stand PVP.  I just can't. 

Does explodingdog count?  Because that site is the thing off of which they based the concept of treasure, such is it's magnificence.  Speaking of which... time to burn an hour over there.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Drygioni on May 17, 2006, 05:54:07 pm
Yes to most things already mentioned except I cannot, for the life of me, stand PVP.  I just can't. 

I too think it's terrible. I hate the character design immensely, I don't find many of the jokes even slightly funny, yet many in the business love it. It just seems the equivalent of the stereotypical long-running sitcom everyone loves but just seems tired compared to the new, better guys.

On the subject of webcomics we can't stand, Questionable Content not only has a self-proclaimed 'hipster' as an author but just seems so perfectly modelled for 'hip' people. Ie. lots of crappy irony, really heavy use of obscure band humour, childish humour, fuck*ng COFFEE CULTURE, etc. It just all combines into some horrible webcomic equivalent of Friends, as made by the guy who did Garden State.

But if you like it, don't let my whining annoy you! I really have no worth with my opinions, and if you like it, that's cool. (That last statement was basically for protection just in case, like a condom)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 17, 2006, 06:01:43 pm
On the subject of webcomics we can't stand, Questionable Content not only has a self-proclaimed 'hipster' as an author but just seems so perfectly modelled for 'hip' people. Ie. lots of crappy irony, really heavy use of obscure band humour, childish humour, fuck*ng COFFEE CULTURE, etc. It just all combines into some horrible webcomic equivalent of Friends, as made by the guy who did Garden State.

QC has been annoying me lately, but I've gotten enough good times out of it that I'm willing to give the guy a break for now.  Him and R. Stevens have both just introduced new female characters that I find extremely annoying.  Hopefully this isn't turning into a trend.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 17, 2006, 06:04:18 pm
Lessee.  I read Achewood, PVP, Penny Arcade, Order of the Stick, PBF, Get Your War On, and though I probably shouldn't count it because it's kind of defunct, Spamusement.  Also This Modern World, whatever Keith Knight's strip is called, and Tom the Dancing Bug over on Salon (I skip Way Lay on Tuesdays, because I don't like it).

I am out of the habit of reading the WaPo comics page every day, partly because I don't have time, and partly because most of them suck.  Still enjoy a good Dilbert, Doonesbury, or Pearls Before Swine.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 17, 2006, 06:40:08 pm
PVP has already read, to me, as though it was created in a test tube by very very cynical chemists, trying to throw in every "element" to attract internet-type hipsters and ergo get an action figure deal and a 13-episode run on Adult Swim. As though it were not an entertainment form but a seventh-grade algebra equation and if you put in all the right numbers, you get Pez dispensers made of your characters.

Monster thing? Check. Moderately attractive woman whose only role is to be the female character? Check. Fat "nice" guy for the audience to identify with? Check. "Clever" hipster type for the audience to pretend they identify with? Check. Computers are involved? Check. Role playing games are involved? Check. Pointlessly and hopelessly inreferencing itself and webcomics as a genre? Check and double-check.

It's like it isn't a comic strip at all, it's the IDEA of a comic strip as some dude's scheme to get a foothold in more profitable avenues.

Plus the writer/artist/chemist often spouts off with all kinds of weird jibberish about his theories on what webcomics MEAN and what independent comics MEAN and anyone who isn't trying to do "Cathy for the D&D Set" is a phony pseudo-artiste just trying to impress people to get to the fabulous cash prizes of a contract with Marvel and... like... someone oughta put the dude in a goddamn cineplex because he's great at projecting.

Anyway, it seems that I like to talk at length about things I don't like.

Mea culpa.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 17, 2006, 06:40:31 pm
Achewood, Scary Go Round, Get Fuzzy, PBF and when I think about checking, Cat and Girl.

A related question would be Blogs. I always read Bad News Hughes whenever it's updated and of course the Achewood Blogs.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Hobot on May 17, 2006, 06:44:10 pm
QC has been annoying me lately, but I've gotten enough good times out of it that I'm willing to give the guy a break for now.  Him and R. Stevens have both just introduced new female characters that I find extremely annoying.  Hopefully this isn't turning into a trend.

Speaketh thou of Hannelore?  Like Monk, she has an unrealistic amount of obsessive-compulsive symptoms, but I can kind of relate, so I usually find her somewhat entertaining.  I consider QC a guilty pleasure; but Jeph is a pretty nice guy in person (and Christi is even nicer; she complimented my HUUUGS shirt and lent me her laptop to type in my mailing address when she discovered they didn't have any more Music + Science = Sexy shirts in my size at the con).  As for the obscure band humour, I listen to enough of those bands to let him off the hook for being blatantly pretentious.  And though I don't feel like rummaging through the archives to find the particular strip of which I speak, the one about listening to Sigur Rós while gettin' it on is comedy gold.

That said, I read OverCompensating, Questionable Content, Indie Tits (occasionally, for the really stupid humour), Achewood, Everyone Drunk But Me (thanks, Mite!), and I used to read Wigu, before it went to print format.  I tried to get into ScaryGoRound, but it took far too much involvement to catch up for a latecomer such as myself, and I gave up.  I plan to start reading Cat and Girl.  Achewood is the only webcomic in which I invest a considerable amount of my free time discussing with fine people such as yourself, because, in my opinion, it is the only webcomic worth such dedication.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 17, 2006, 07:00:16 pm
As for webcomics I read regularly?

Achewood, Perry Bible Fellowship, Slowwave...

Usually Narbonic because its just genuinely strange. Not always funny but always coming at you with something weirder than the last thing and I respect that.

Shortpacked, not so much that I find it funny all that often but because its kind of fascinating how the author can take what's obstensively supposed to be an office comedy about a bunch of Toys R Us employees down down down the rabbit hole of obsessive Transformers fandom until he's making jokes that only he will get and... how he doesn't seem to understand that only five people in the world outside of Japan remember anything about Transformers other than that the good guy leader was Optimus Something and that all of the English language internet fandom is the product of those five very strange guys who honestly believe that everyone knows all the forms the Dinosaur who Talked like the Hulk could change into.

I often also like to go on binges of following links from somethingawful to weird/strange/fetish/incoherent webcomics and enjoying... not so much how bad they are... but how they seem to come from different universes entirely? Like how they seem to be written for a parallel dimension where teenagers morphing into cat people and having sex with older people is a totally sane thing to make a comic strip about or written for a parallel dimension where a comic strip about a teenage witch whose only power seems to be turning men into women is a totally sane and socially acceptable thing. Or so on.

I'm fascinated with peering into little worlds where the fetish or the fandom has become so focused, so tight, so insulated, that in their fictions and in their internet communities, they've fashioned a tiny world where they don't have to admit what they're doing is completely goddamned strange.

Like we're the weird ones for not being sexually aroused by being stepped on by a giant woman, let alone not understanding why they're trying to fit an office comedy "storyline" around that fetish.

People are weird things.

Title: Re: Comics
Post by: wombat on May 17, 2006, 07:57:41 pm
2500th post!

Scary.

I would like to put in a word for http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/ (http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/), which is lame occassionally but the man updates every day so quit yer whining, and his lovely wife http://www.nataliedee.com/ (http://www.nataliedee.com/).  Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl. (http://catandgirl.com/)  And what, no love for Jeff Rowland? (http://www.wigu.com/overcompensating/)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Hobot on May 17, 2006, 08:18:24 pm
Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl. (http://catandgirl.com/)  And what, no love for Jeff Rowland? (http://www.wigu.com/overcompensating/)

Like I said, I need to start reading Cat and Girl.  And both Flip and I expressed our love for OverCompensating.  This (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2004/10/ghosts-cant-use-cell-phones-very-well.html) is one of my favourites, particularly because of the text below.  I also enjoy this one (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2006/03/chokeback-fountain.html), this one (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2006/03/gynocide.html), this one (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2004/10/worserest.html), and this one (http://wigu.com/overcompensating/2004/10/i-was-meant-for-stage.html), among others.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: AugustWest on May 17, 2006, 08:38:40 pm
Also, totally more of you should read Cat and Girl. (http://catandgirl.com/)

I don't remember to often enough, but strips like this (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=336) keep me coming back.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: smick on May 17, 2006, 09:07:54 pm
Achewood,
PBF,
Cat & Girl,
Diesel Sweeties (Though, if I miss a year at a time, I'm not saddened)
Fox Trot (Not a Webcomic, but I only read it encapsulated in HTML)
MegaTokyo (Same thing as Diesel Sweeties, I checked out for about 6 months, and the story hasn't progressed more than a day or so.)
Penny Arcade
PVP (I miss this years at a time)
Red Meat - I'm picturing that many Achewood fans would also enjoy Red Meat
Sin Fest - This is on low rotation as well... yes yes... porn... c*ck...
Slowwave
Sluggy - I'll check out of entire storyarcs. 
Something Positive
Too Much Coffee Man/How To Be Happy
Boy on a Stick and Slither
Rehabilitating Mr. Wiggles
Dinosaur Comics - I've only been reading since they were mentioned here a while back... maybe a month.   I think "The saddest thing"
MNFTIU/Get Your War On
Dr. McNinja

Man, that's a big list.   In my defense I read these all daily, but I have them all pulled to a single URL... So I guess what I'm saying is: I cheat the artists out of ad revenue.

I steal these comics.

Title: Re: Comics
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2006, 09:17:16 pm
hm.

I have a really long list of bookmarked comics.

but the ones I check regularly are:

Achewood,
Diesel Sweeties
Sexy Losers
Penny Arcade
Get Your War On
You Damn Kid
Scary Go Round
Questionable Content

so, yes. I used to read these, plus more, almost every day. now there are a lot that have fallen by the wayside.

Edit: because I still do that thing where I think of things I read on the internet as "mine," (ie: no one else knows about this!), I was amazed and shocked when I saw a Megatokyo book at the local borders. and a PVP book at the local comic store (although, i don't like PVP.)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: misterqueue on May 17, 2006, 09:22:31 pm
Gah.. Megatokyo.. screw you Megatokyo.. and all that you stand for.

TMCM is excellent of course and Red Meat and I go waaaay back.  (That Dead Clown was the funniest thing ever)
I am also pleased to see that I'm not the only Sick Fuck who is amused by Sexy Losers sometimes.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2006, 09:35:02 pm
the order of the stick:

I will like this comic, because I have spent so much goddamn time playing as a Ranger and getting nothing for it, and that is what the first comic is about.

Speaking of which: I am updating my Neverwinter Nights, and I am playing that fucker all night long.

except, wait! The server I play on didn't update for some ungodly reason, and now I can't connect!

AWESOME!

best part: the decision to not update was made by some n00b who wasn't even playing NWN when I started playing on this server.
but no one would ever believe me if I said that, because I came wayyy back when, then left, then came back, then left, then came back, then left... etc.
right when I got to level 20, they remade the module and wiped all the characters.

anyway... playing as archer-types is either awesome or horrible.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: CortJstr on May 18, 2006, 12:56:36 am
Achewood
Diesel Sweeties
Overcompensating
Toothpaste for Dinner (mainly out of inertia. I can think of like 10 I actually liked)
Order of the Stick
Dr. McNinja
Killer *****s from Outer Space
Alien Loves Predator
Scribs
Calico Monkey
Perry Bible Fellowship
Spamusement
Dinosaur Comics

And when I get really board at work I poke in on Death to the Extremist.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: V-Adore on May 18, 2006, 02:31:10 am
Comics I read regularly: Achewood, Penny Arcade, Goats, Diesel Sweeties (although I could go without this), Order of the Stick (which is really quite good by gaming standards and is no longer the guilty pleasure it once was), Narbonic
Comics I check when I think of it: A Miracle of Science (love this dearly), A Lesson Is Learned, A Softer World, Overcompensating (don't care about this but keep meaning to get back into Wigu, so), PBF
Terrible comic I keep reading despite the fact that I hate it: Jack (I enjoy getting angry at this strip)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: robot_god on May 18, 2006, 03:49:20 am
A read a couple, and a couple only transiently, but Achewood is the only thing where I check the website last thing before I go to sleep or first thing after I wake up.

Dang, I haven't read Red Meat in years, and I used to know the whole archive inside and out.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 18, 2006, 04:12:37 am
I really only read Achewood.  I have read some others, but nothing that appealed to me that much.

I did like on that I cannot remember anymore, it involved like 2 nerd punks who were always trying to be cool and kind of making asses of themselves.  Does anyone know what this is?
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: V-Adore on May 18, 2006, 04:16:43 am
I did like on that I cannot remember anymore, it involved like 2 nerd punks who were always trying to be cool and kind of making asses of themselves.  Does anyone know what this is?

This describes like half the webcomics on the Internet.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Hobot on May 18, 2006, 04:20:28 am
I did like on that I cannot remember anymore, it involved like 2 nerd punks who were always trying to be cool and kind of making asses of themselves.  Does anyone know what this is?

Perhaps Nothing Nice to Say (http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/)?  I have enjoyed this from time to time.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: theinevitable on May 18, 2006, 04:20:41 am
maybe "Punks and Nerds"?

or "Nothing Nice to Say"?
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 18, 2006, 05:40:47 am
I'm still saddened by the demise of Niego, and Cort thanks for bringing up Killer #####s and ALP, can't believe I forgot those!
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 18, 2006, 06:53:42 am
Yea, it was "nothing nice to say", thanks alot, I have been looking for that for a while.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: side_show on May 18, 2006, 01:16:22 pm
I read this (http://www.americanelf.com) daily, and  this  (http://www.maakies.com) off and on.  Also, I really miss  this one, (http://plif.andkon.com/archive/archive.htm) which was basically my introduction to web comics.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: smick on May 18, 2006, 01:25:30 pm
I totally forgot Maakies!

Of the two comic based shirts I have, Maakies is the other one.

(The first being a SCIENCE shirt)
Title: *****s.. IN SPACE!
Post by: misterqueue on May 19, 2006, 01:55:29 pm
I kind of enjoyed this (http://www.bohemiandrive.com/comics/npwil/) and thought I would share.  It's no Achewood and I kind of hate the off-and-on Scott McCloud style side-scrolling but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Plus it has Automatons!  AUTOMATONS!
Title: Re: #####s.. IN SPACE!
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 19, 2006, 03:31:19 pm
I listed this on my read comics (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2817.msg66113.html#msg66113) dammit.  We talked about this!  Anyway yeah, very good comic, hasn't updated in a long ass time though.

I like that the "bohemian drive" is identifiable by ***** BO.
Title: Re: #####s.. IN SPACE!
Post by: misterqueue on May 19, 2006, 03:35:58 pm
Why am I just finding out about it then?  That's it... delete this thread for I am redundant!
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: starlight on May 21, 2006, 02:29:11 am
I used to read around 40 back in the day before blogs and such took their place.

Now I just check achewood, Questionable Content, and Friendly Hostility (http://friendlyhostility.com) / 5ideways (http://5ideways.com/) (same artist / no spinoff) for the most part.  I think I'll start checking cat and girl which I'm glad I'm not the only one not already reading it.. once I saw that record collection shirt, I had to order it recently, so I figure if I have a shirt, I better at least halfway dedicate myself.. heh.

Now and then I'll check in with Toothpaste for Dinner and explodingdog, but it's been months recently.
For the record?  MegaTokyo was better in book format than online, but I only have vol.1.  I mostly read it since well, I was in my anime phase then.  I still like anime, but not enough to continue with that comic.

Also, I checked Ice (http://www.realityfelon.com/Faith/ice/) now and then since I was dedicated to D101 (http://faith.rydia.net/) before it ended, but now that's on hiatus.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: jough on May 22, 2006, 02:03:40 pm
I read Achewood, Penny Arcade, and Concerned (http://www.hlcomic.com/) regularly, although the latter two haven't actually been good in a while.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2006, 02:15:52 pm
I should have said that you should all read this one. (http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/index.php)  Yeah, OK, he didn't really post a comic today.  Just keep hitting 'back' till you get the hang of it.

And this (http://www.partiallyclips.com/) is one I read that I am embarrassed about.  It's lame, and the design of the site makes me want to poke someone in the eye.  But it's there when I run out of other things to read. I have no better excuse.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2006, 03:57:24 pm
I should have said that you should all read this one. (http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/index.php)  Yeah, OK, he didn't really post a comic today.  Just keep hitting 'back' till you get the hang of it.

And this (http://www.partiallyclips.com/) is one I read that I am embarrassed about.  It's lame, and the design of the site makes me want to poke someone in the eye.  But it's there when I run out of other things to read. I have no better excuse.

I started reading Partially Clips after Lore linked there. I've never laughed out loud but several of the strips are amusing and the commentaries are nice.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: V-Adore on May 22, 2006, 03:59:20 pm
Oh, man, I love AHPT too. I'm sincerely considering ordering the book, especially for the sheep poster. My favorite by far is the mayfly with SAD ("I just tell people I'm depresed").
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2006, 04:06:13 pm
I am of course particularly fond of this sloth (http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/view.php?id=033) one.

I just got his octopus tshirt ("Who wants four hugs?") in the mail.  It is so lovely that I decided it needs an outing tonight to a restaurant called Tako Grill, where the waiters wear octopus tshirts that I have always envied, and we will have a cephalopod-themed clothing battle to the death, or maybe just eat sushi, depending how it works out, I guess.

Title: Re: Comics
Post by: swinehund on May 22, 2006, 05:18:30 pm
For some reason I have three octopus shirts now. (this one here (http://www.qwantz.com/merchandise.html)], one with Ultros (http://CUNTmanmn.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ultros_bio.gif), and another more generic one). I guess it's a theme now.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2006, 07:31:37 pm
Wombat...
this comic is genius.

I do a thing where I save comics that I like.
and so far, I have saved almost every one.

thank you for this.

http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/view.php?id=186 (http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/view.php?id=186)

mmm.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: robot_god on October 09, 2006, 05:20:34 am
I just recently discovered a comic that I deemed worthy of unearthing this thread.  It's Boy on a Stick and Slither (http://www.boasas.com).  It's mostly about existentialism, but it seems to offer a buffet of philosophical (http://www.boasas.com/?c=261) and and practical (http://www.boasas.com/?c=259) topics.  Owl (http://www.boasas.com/?c=156).



Naturally, like Achewood, I seem to have discovered this comic only a few days before a final exam.  No big deal, though, even without it I would still find ways to avoid studying.  In other news, the fourth year of pharmacy school becomes unreasonably difficult.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: NobleSavage on December 29, 2006, 05:06:36 am
I read Achewood, of coarse. And a few others:

http://www.comicblasphemy.com (my own, because I'm narcissistic)

http://www.cartridgecomics.com (Fun pop culture comics)

http://www.kreepykat.com (Just plain wrong some times, but great)

http://www.thecarottykid.co.uk (Great)

http://chibi.nekrozin.com/ (Unique)

http://www.gingerdead.com (Up and coming, and brilliant)

http://www.shortpacked.com (Humor for the toy collecting geeks in all of us. Or maybe just me.

I don't read many print comics, save for Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 23, 2007, 04:47:59 pm
This thread's a little dead, but...

Besides Achewood, I read QC (it's not hilarious, but it's good art and great character development (I once spent six hours just reading the 700-comics I hadn't in the archives), and Jeph is a really nice guy), and SMBC every day. I also read IndieTits (which I think is fuck*ng hysterical, I love it) and Niego when it updates, and I will read PVP, Dinosaur Comics, Penny Arcade, Day by Day, Get Your War On, Idiot Box, I Drew This, Filibuster Cartoons, Cox & Forkum, though I don't read any of those every day or check for updates periodically like I will with Niego and IndieTits.

In terms of print comics, I'm currently obsessed with a 25-year CD archive of Doonesbury that I got for Christmas. I also re-read my old Calvin and Hobbes books whenever I have access to them, and I read Get Fuzzy every day. I would read every strip in my local paper, but I don't get the paper any more.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: slink on February 23, 2007, 05:23:36 pm
Since this thread is back, I'd add Alien Loves Predator to the list I read, although it seems an awful lot of people really don't like it.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2007, 05:27:59 pm
I still miss Lore Brand Comics.

The story line up at littledee.net this week is awesome.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 23, 2007, 05:37:07 pm
A Miracle of Science (http://www.project-apollo.net/mos/mos000.html) has just completed and the entire run is available.

Group minds, mad science as a memetic disease/disorder, plenty of automatons. A suggested read all in one run.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Doc on February 23, 2007, 10:24:28 pm
I think A Softer World (http://www.asofterworld.com/soft_jan19_2007.htm) should appeal to an Achewood crowd, but I've been wrong before. The link goes to one of my favourites just in case today's is crap.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on February 24, 2007, 12:37:32 am
Achewood, Ozy and Millie, and xkcd. That's it.

I refuse to add any more to the routine because what I have seen of others hasn't been terribly impressive (none of them have been particularly bad, mostly just mediocre), and I don't want to ruin the "perfect zone" of the three webcomics I really like.

I've never been much into paper comics, although many of my friends are comic geeks. I am totally obsessed with Wonder Woman, however, and I do keep track of her storyline and her comic to a degree; I've just never bought a comic book in my life. The times I think, "Gee, with as much Wonder Woman geekitude as I possess, I should probably start buying the comic," I end up going to the comics store, thumbing through a couple of issuess, and feeling satisfied that I'm updated on what's going on in her life. I then walk out empty-handed. It gives me a feeling of unease, like I'm afraid all the other card-carrying Wonder Woman geeks out there will kick me out of the club for not buying the comic. But the occasional comic-store thumb-through is sufficient enough for me. S'weird.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Teatime on March 15, 2007, 06:02:35 am
I am kind of surprised at the lack of Dinosaur Comics readership, it seems like a thing people would enjoy. Also, David Malki's Wondermark is consistently hilarious, but I've forgotten if it has been mentioned.

Other than those, I read Achewood and Dr. McNinja. Once every couple of months I will catch myself up on the PBF and A Softer World, but I can't be minded to remember when they update.

I kind of adore Sandman, and I dare say that it is not only nostalgia that causes this. Otherwise, I can not really compel myself to buy print comics as they are expensive and not terribly rereadable, so beyond the occasional flip-through at the bookstore I do not read any.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2007, 06:13:49 am
I would be a Bad Semi-Friend if I didn't mention that I am keeping up with Emma (http://emmaverse.com), a web-comic-ish thing by a kind of friend of mine. I really dig his style of illustrating.

Also he is forever a Badass because his application essay to the school of art at WashU was partially in Comic form.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Doc on March 15, 2007, 08:34:10 am
If we're recommending print comics too, Queen and Country by Greg Rukker is the only one I read regularly and I find it tasty indeed.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2007, 05:19:57 pm
PBF, Dinosaur Comics and Maakies are in the local weekly and I read those, but the only one I regularly read online is Achewood. I will periodically catch up on GYWO.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 15, 2007, 05:30:09 pm
I think A Softer World (http://www.asofterworld.com/soft_jan19_2007.htm) should appeal to an Achewood crowd, but I've been wrong before. The link goes to one of my favourites just in case today's is crap.

Ah, I love A Softer World. It's the sort of thing I'd be sticking on the wall if it weren't for the fact that I actually rather like to be happy most of the time.

I have just been introduced to Astronaut Elementary (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/daveroman/ae/series.php?view=archive&chapter=712) and am as yet undecided on it, but it has occupied some time I should have spent working which is generally a good sign.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: side_show on March 15, 2007, 11:59:41 pm
I think A Softer World (http://www.asofterworld.com/soft_jan19_2007.htm) should appeal to an Achewood crowd, but I've been wrong before. The link goes to one of my favourites just in case today's is crap.

Doc, I just check A Softer World out, and it's fantastic.  Thanks!
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2007, 11:58:46 pm
Dinosaur Comics isn't a comic.  Comics include art.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 25, 2007, 12:18:16 am
What is art?
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 12:38:35 am
Art is Hard. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxIJt2J7tg)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Doc on March 25, 2007, 02:11:02 am
Drawing is hard. (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/narbonic/series.php?view=archive&chapter=10102)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 25, 2007, 02:35:31 am
I recently discovered fark.com and the fark.com tv episodes on superdeluxe.com. From there I found Baby Cakes cartoon which is the funniest shit I've seen since achewood.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 25, 2007, 11:49:52 am
I just discovered xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/), which is really very groovy and not terribly involved, which is nice sometimes.

I'm also a big fan of Tales of Mere Existence. (http://www.ingredientx.com/)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: vivouk on April 03, 2007, 03:26:26 am
Xkcd's awesome, my new favourite webcomic.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: robot_god on April 03, 2007, 04:07:23 am
I just discovered xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/), which is really very groovy and not terribly involved, which is nice sometimes.

Snap, that comic is classy.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: smick on April 03, 2007, 07:38:18 am
I'm afraid I've transcended into the world of real life paper comics.

Well... mostly I'm reading torrented scans of old comics.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 10:08:44 am
I read Preacher that way. I feel kind of so so about it. The last half felt like taking these great characters and just tearing them to hell, but kind of in a good way. I think. Or maybe not.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 12:55:23 pm
I'm afraid I've transcended into the world of real life paper comics.

Well... mostly I'm reading torrented scans of old comics.

Then you, my friend, have got to get into Little Dee. It's not in many papers but you can read it at littledee.net (http://littledee.net)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: smick on April 03, 2007, 08:17:51 pm
I will check that out, but I think I was a bit confusing.  I'm meaning the Bensan sized comics, not newspaper comics.

I got sucked back in when Captain America died.  So not cool.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2007, 01:47:40 pm
Just bringing this thread back again to say: Naked mole rats and online comics. Together at last! (http://www.partiallyclips.com/index.php?id=1524&c=1#strip)
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Doc on October 26, 2007, 11:11:32 am
I just read through a collection of 'The Spirit' comics and damn was that good. They used to be published as a seven page newspaper insert so there aren't any you can't read in one sitting but there's a lot of really rich stuff going on there (for me anyway).
There are some cultural issues since it was written in the 40s, the main character's sidekick is 'Ebony White' an alternately disturbing and so terribly offensive that it's hilarious young black kid but oddly apart from that there wasn't anything that struck me as racist or even really sexist (the female villains tend to fall in love with the main character but generally after they've kicked the crap out of him).
I also liked (and was suprised by) the fact that they often didn't end well, there's a certain moral message there since generally it's criminals getting their comuppance but but ol' Eisner wasn't afraid to hurt characters you'd come to like as well (however briefly).
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: RMJ12345 on November 17, 2007, 06:03:48 am
Anybody read :Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud? Or any Harvey Pekar (American Splendor)? I think the former might be one of the best books I've ever read. I'm pretty into Pekar right now. Both are a big influence on my creative thesis (a comic book).
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2007, 06:12:23 am
Understanding Comics is a great book.

With every sequel, they get less and less good, though.

McCloud is a fellow Orangeman, I told. Syracuse twists people up inside.

He is way way way too obsessed with the idea of early adopting technology too. The best online comics still hold onto a lot of the same forms as comic books and newspaper strips. A lot of great comic strips still ain't drawn onto Wacom Tablets by *****s or whatever.

I still dig pen and ink, m'self.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 17, 2007, 06:36:57 am
Understanding Comics is a great book.

With every sequel, they get less and less good, though.

McCloud is a fellow Orangeman, I told. Syracuse twists people up inside.

He is way way way too obsessed with the idea of early adopting technology too. The best online comics still hold onto a lot of the same forms as comic books and newspaper strips. A lot of great comic strips still ain't drawn onto Wacom Tablets by #####s or whatever.

I still dig pen and ink, m'self.

******?


Edit: #####


Edit 2:  got it, sweet.  I can never remember which is which when the pressure is on, you know.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: V-Adore on November 17, 2007, 10:06:21 am
I love me some Pekar. Great, great stuff, and weirdly inspiring during hard times for me -- mostly because, when the going gets tough, I need a dose of simple reality.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Nabubrush on January 21, 2008, 07:52:57 pm
I just picked up Little Nemo: 1905-1914. (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Nemo-1905-1914-Winsor-McCay/dp/3822863009/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200945062&sr=1-1) Haven't cracked it yet. I sort of want to save it for the next time I take sick and am confined to bed.

What? They're comics.
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: side_show on January 21, 2008, 08:03:03 pm
A friend has lent me about 10 Love and Rockets graphic novels spanning from the late 80's to mid 90's.  I've read one so far and am on the the next.  I'm finding it interesting and enjoyable, but am feeling slightly behind the times.  Maybe not "Little Nemo" behind the times, but behind."
Title: Re: Comics
Post by: Ben-San on January 22, 2008, 10:24:26 pm
Little Nemo is some good comics and no two ways about it.