The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on May 21, 2006, 07:32:15 pm

Title: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 21, 2006, 07:32:15 pm
Today, you are a man.  Hope today is a fantastic day and you get your mack on many times.  You are rad.  You also remind me of this guy I know a whole lot.  Like, really it's creepy.  That's not relevant, but you know.  Interesting.


Happy Birfday dude.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Drygioni on May 21, 2006, 07:55:54 pm
Did I miss something? Do you live in Australia or something, 'cause it's not even his birthday where I live.  Now everything is ruined!

Happy Birthday, Inevitable. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: misterqueue on May 21, 2006, 07:56:19 pm
Hi.  You are now able to legally Buy Porn, Smoke, Vote, and Die in a War; but you cannot legally drink.  How fucked up is that?

Er.. anyway, it's man time and you got to come real.

I dunno... anyway celebrate this day like you should.. by getting blown to bits in a war torn voting booth with an unfiltered Camel in one hand and a copy of Oui in the other.  This is clearly the only way!

No really, just have some cake; it's pretty good.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: swinehund on May 21, 2006, 08:14:23 pm
Hey, happy birthday and if you go to Quebec you can drink legally.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: wombat on May 21, 2006, 08:18:08 pm
Q forgot another legal milestone: We now don't have to hush up in front of theinevitable in the chat room when the discussion turns naughty.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: misterqueue on May 21, 2006, 08:21:43 pm
Q forgot another legal milestone: We now don't have to hush up in front of theinevitable in the chat room when the discussion turns naughty.

LET THE ORGIES BEGIN!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Mite on May 21, 2006, 08:23:28 pm
Happy Birthday, dude. Good luck hitting the casinos, or snorting coke off a hooker's ass, or whatever it is guys do when they turn 18 these days.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Hobot on May 21, 2006, 09:07:54 pm
Happy Birthday, theinevitable!  Now is a good time to start thinking about how much closer you are to death. 

But seriously, have a good one, and don't let the Man (or morbid thoughts that are all my fault) get you down.  You are a delightful fellow.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: V-Adore on May 21, 2006, 09:10:12 pm
Happy birthday, Theinevitable! Party down with Vlad and celebrate another day's not dying.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: jough on May 21, 2006, 09:42:13 pm
Man, Hobot is just intent on bringing you DOWN, dude.

Happy Birthday.  Welcome to adulthood.

I hope you can get your freak-on with some hot mama who is old enough to teach you a thing or two.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2006, 10:51:19 pm
Hi.  You are now able to legally Buy Porn, Smoke, Vote, and Die in a War; but you cannot legally drink.  How fucked up is that?

I'm interested in why you capitalized all of those except drinking.

Also, you have to be 21 to gamble, not 18.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: misterqueue on May 22, 2006, 12:33:51 am
I'm interested in why you capitalized all of those except drinking.

Also, you have to be 21 to gamble, not 18.

Not for Lotto and the like (at least in this state)

I didn't capitalize drinking because clearly I don't think much of it as I am big in the Temperance movement as you may well remember.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: miles on May 22, 2006, 02:23:41 am
Happy Birthday!

You can't buy tobacco products in Utah for another year.  But that's OK, because smoking kills.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: oball on May 22, 2006, 03:11:08 am
Happy Birthday!

Ah, I remember turning 18.  I went bar crawling with my friends and had to go to my calculus lecture the next day still drunk.

Have fun, theinevitable.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2006, 03:33:17 am
Happy Birthday, dude. 

You know, I actually have no recollection of my 18th birthday.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2006, 03:34:04 am
Happy Birthday tI.  Your a man now so no more sucking your mamas tit.  Playtime is over so get out in the world and make something of yourself.  Seriously, Happy Birthday, i'm happy you joined this board.  You are a choice dude.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Doc on May 22, 2006, 07:51:42 am
That's right, for his 21st Ash got attack by two drunk chicks wielding a bottle of johnny walker...

Seriously Inev, congrats on the not dying yet thing and you should totally spend several thousands dollars to come down here so you can walk up to a bar and I'll order you a schooner of four x. Then after I've laughed at you for drinking swill I'll buy you a real drink and you will have entered the world of men.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2006, 08:25:45 am
 So far my birthday has consisted of playing Halo 2 with my best friend. I have not spent much time with him lately, and now we are hanging out again. I don't know what I'll spend the actual "day" of my birthday doing... hm. the movie Munich is so good-- good for so many reasons.

do you want to know the saddest thing?

I didn't realize it was technically my birthday until I saw this thread.

anyway, thanks for all saying nice things. I really appreciate them.


Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2006, 12:55:11 pm
Happy Birthday, dude. 

You know, I actually have no recollection of my 18th birthday.

For my 18th birthday I was visiting a friend who had moved to London where the drinking age is 18. I remember trying to convince a bartender at a pub that Americans write the date backwards but she didn't believe me until another bartender confirmed it. Then she served me a free rum and Pepsi with way too much dark rum.

After that I started carrying my passport around to prevent future arguments.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2006, 05:52:38 pm
Alice Cooper wished me a pretty good Happy Birthday through blasting "I'm 18" through my speakers just now.


I had a dream that we all met up. And two of you almost died. We were all sitting around this wierd waterfall thing, and we dared these two people (one was Paul!) to jump off. And we watched as the two landed directly on their backs/necks.
We all immediately went to check the board, to post a "OMG paul died!" topic.

When the doctors came out to us, they said something lilke "paul said he thinks some of you guys are doctor-types, so I'm going to tell you all the details. *doctor gibberish*"
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2006, 06:17:51 pm

We all immediately went to check the board, to post a "OMG paul died!" topic.


Thank you, this made my day. (Not because of thinking that Paul might have died of course (especially without having a camera on the way down).)
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2006, 06:20:07 pm
I know. I woke up, and thought "that is so fantastic." I almost wrote it down so that I wouldn't forget it.

I'd like to say that even though I, too, went to the board to post, I realized how disgusting this action was.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Roger on May 22, 2006, 06:35:11 pm
I had a dream that we all met up.

Oh boy how did it look like? Like a bunch of kitties and ducklings and sloths and walkie-talkie-wielding worms and virus-eating eyeballs and Hawaiian bulldogs etc. all gathered together? Cause that's probably how you people would look like if I had dreams about you (you never know)...
Oh, and Iggy Pop would be there too.

Anyway, even if your birthday party isn't fun like that, here's a Happy Birthday for you. Keep listening to good stuff.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Doc on May 23, 2006, 03:13:06 am
Paul would totally get a shot of himself smiling and giving the thumbs up halfway down.
And the tiny camera-imp that follows him around would get a shot of the body.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: pmcd9 on May 23, 2006, 03:59:57 pm
Funnily enough I was hiking on Sunday and came across a really nice waterfall.  I walked up a steep incline to get to the topside and nearly lost my footing and fell down a cliff.  Pictures to follow (this evening).

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2006, 04:28:56 pm
oh paul, no!

actually, i was simplifying the dream. i now realize that the thing I took out was what made it even more brilliant.

the cliffs were kind of... stepped? so you both looked us in the eyes, waved, and jumped backwards off the cliff, directly onto the corner/edge of the second step. headfirst.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 03:54:59 am
um, so, my birthday present is that I get a new computer. (the one I'm on right now has served me semi-well since about... the year 2000.)
My options are basically: HP Pavilion DV5000T, or a Dell 1505. I can get essentially the same options on each (15.5 inch screen, 1.8 ghz, 128 mb video card, 1 gig of ram, and 80 gig hd) for roughly the same amount of money.

Does anyone know which one is best? I suppose since they'll both have the same stats, basically, it shouldn't matter...

also: do these stats make sense? these numbers don't really mean anything to me.
except:
I won't have to worry about HD space for a long time. yayyyy! I will have something like 160 gigs total.
I will have 4 times as much RAM (formerly 256)
it will be more than twice as fast (formerly 866 mhz)

I also got Call of Duty 2 (for xbox 360) which is pretty awesome. Except, we can't get the sound to work because our TV/"Home Media System"/whatever is way too f*ing complicated.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 24, 2006, 03:57:23 am
The question is, which 1.8 GHz processor, which 128 MB video card, what rating RAM, and what make/model/RPM/bitrate hdd.  I will probably look this up because I am a nerd and get back to you.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 04:05:25 am
ugh I don't know, these were all things we chose to pay extra for as options. And I can't check, because we were ordering it through my dad's office (they get a discount)... I can look it up tommorow. But I need his password to access the site.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 24, 2006, 04:10:05 am
ugh I don't know, these were all things we chose to pay extra for as options. And I can't check, because we were ordering it through my dad's office (they get a discount)... I can look it up tommorow. But I need his password to access the site.

Just your luck, I did a little research, my analysis is not very helpful however I am afraid.

In a display of google prowess i have discovered:

HP
1.8 GHz Core Duo, Model Txxxxxsomething, don't know since all the product page said was core duo.  I am on a 1.8 GHz Core Duo right now on my mac, very nice, respectable proccessor.  Dual core is an advantage if you are going to be editing videos/encoding this or that/ etc.  I assume you are looking at the Nvidia GeForce 7400 option, which is respectable, a good laptop GPU.  They are lying when they say "graphics card", however.  It's integrated, but it does have dedicated VRAM which lightens this disadvantage somewhat.  The GeForce 7400 is a respectable GPU and you could run recent games on decent settings.  The lightscribe drive?  What a waste of money, don't bother.  I assume you realize this.

Dell
The processor is also a Core Duo, which is cool.  This one looks more appealing due to the optional TV tuner card, couldn't find make/model for it however, but a tv tuner is a cool thing to have if you can afford it.  They say "optional dual channel memory".  I would hope in this day and age that "dual channel memory" is a given.  XP Media Center Edition is a nice plus, but it doesn't have a whole lot of use if you don't go for the tuner card. 

Both of these are pretty respectable machines.  If you go with the tuner card and MCE then I would reccomend the Dell, otherwise choose the one with the lower cost.  I couldn't find info on the Dell's GPU, so if you're looking to game, the HP is probably the better option.  Given the option, go with the Core Duo models on either of these.  I haven't been keeping up with how these Core Duo's stack up against comparable AMD's like the Turion X2's, so I can't say offhand whether going AMD would be a better choice.  The price point is probably better, so it may be worth it to look into an AMD system.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 24, 2006, 04:14:29 am
The Dell is a Core Duo T23000, which is 1.66 GHz, 2MB L2 cache.  Which is good, but the extra couple hundred MHz's might make a difference here or there.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: robot_god on May 24, 2006, 04:15:23 am
Happy Belated Birthday, T!

This is belated because I was gone on a trip, but I hope your day was good.

Eighteenth birthday has its ups and downs.  Downside is that minors will hassle you to buy them cigarettes.  Upside is that you can stop lying to that "I Agree" button at the porno sites!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: jough on May 24, 2006, 04:38:36 am
If the specs really are equal, then I would recommend HP's pretty decent service over Dell's abysmal service.  Trying to get something fixed via warranty from Dell is basically like being on fire and having ugly women try to put you out with oil, and not getting that they are only feeding the flames and burning what was left of your face.

HP's service, by comparison, is only like ripping the hair out of your genital area with hot wax and backing strips.  Piece of cake.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: pmcd9 on May 24, 2006, 04:45:34 am
we were all sitting around this wierd waterfall thing, and we dared these two people (one was Paul!) to jump off. And we watched as the two landed directly on their backs/necks.  We all immediately went to check the board, to post a "OMG paul died!" topic.

Did the waterfall in your dream look anything like this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN13310-E-1024.jpg)?  Because I took this picture on Sunday afternoon and I very nearly slipped while climbing the steep incline in the forefront of the picture.  Had I slipped I would have fallen about 25'.  But I didn't, I lived to tell the tale and take this photograph.

~Paul
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 04:48:25 am
hm. not really.

in the dream it was a "waterfall", but it didn't really look like a natural fixture. it seemed more like something that would be part of someone's pool.

Also: really? I feel lame for thinking the lightscribe drive was pretty cool.

and we thought the tv-tuner seemed utterly useless and rediculous.

and we figured I'd get media center edition.

so I guess we would have basically lost.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: FlipConstantine on May 24, 2006, 05:12:23 am
TV tuners are a really the only reason to have Windows MCE.  Essentially then, you have your own personal DVR with no subscriptions.  I still drool over my friend's X1900 All-In-Wonder setup.  And I guess a lightscribe drive could be useful, it just seems like it is not worth any extra cost.  But if you want easy black and white labels on your CDs it is a good way to go!  I guess...  And Jough is right about Dell's service.  It is absolutely abysmal and unforgiveable. 
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2006, 05:23:00 am
yeah, I mean, the lightscribe... we just read the description, and said "hm, that seems pretty cool..."
I think it was the only option for a CD/DVD burner. I don't think I'll ever be burning DVD's, but being able to watch DVD's will be a plus. (my current computer has a non-functioning CD burner. so, no dvds for me!)
Title: Re: Happy Birthday TheInevitable
Post by: Lister on May 24, 2006, 10:20:56 pm
Lightscribe sounds cool until you look at how much extra Lightscribe media costs.

But then again, I have it too...