The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Drygioni on May 25, 2006, 10:55:03 pm
-
Make your own milk carton from the Coffee And TV video by Blur. If you have as much free time as I do, there's no excuse not to.
Here is the net. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/Milky.jpg)
An example. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/DSC00001.jpg) He is running from the Bovril. Also, kitchen.
-
Blur had more than one song? Well presumably based on the title they had at least 2, but I thought that might have been ironic.
-
Blur had more than one song? Well presumably based on the title they had at least 2, but I thought that might have been ironic.
Is Song 2 seriously the only song Blur ever got big on in America? Bugger that for a laugh! That's the equivalent of The Smiths getting popular because of Frankly Mr Shankly.
-
Milky can be friends with the Achewood Kut-Me Ups (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04222005)! Alternately, they could fight to the death.
-
Judy, I thought that the English still had their milk delivered in Glass Bottles (http://museum.agropolis.fr/english/pages/expos/aliments/lait/objets/bouteille.htm).
~Paul
-
Judy, I thought that the English still had their milk delivered in Glass Bottles (http://museum.agropolis.fr/english/pages/expos/aliments/lait/objets/bouteille.htm).
~Paul
Indeed we do. They come in pints and say 'Dairy Crest' on the side. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/DSC00002.jpg)
-
Indeed we do. They come in pints and say 'Dairy Crest' on the side. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/DSC00002.jpg)
Adorable. Is this true of the larger cities, as well?
-
Adorable. Is this true of the larger cities, as well?
I don't know about everywhere, but where I was at the delivery guys drove cute little 3 wheel carts.
~Paul
-
For Reference. (http://www.tongsville.com/cinemahtml/blur.html)
-
Is Song 2 seriously the only song Blur ever got big on in America? Bugger that for a laugh! That's the equivalent of The Smiths getting popular because of Frankly Mr Shankly.
The Universal is about the only other song that seems to have been noticed here, though it's one of those songs most people only know because it's been used in the background of commercials. Coffee & TV got a lot of play for a while due to its nifty little video, but *Insert MTV rant*.
-
Dude, the Parklife album was huge here in indie circles when it came out. "To The End" is an indie rock staple.
Song 2 was probably their only "hit" here, but Coffee & TV got some play, not just for the cute video. It was also in the scene in Cruel Intentions where Selma Blair (yum) was being taught how to kiss by Buffy.
-
We're not even off the first page and this thread has wandered so far off topic that even 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon would be able to save it.
~Paul
-
Dude, the Parklife album was huge here in indie circles when it came out. "To The End" is an indie rock staple.
Song 2 was probably their only "hit" here, but Coffee & TV got some play, not just for the cute video. It was also in the scene in Cruel Intentions where Selma Blair (yum) was being taught how to kiss by Buffy.
That movie has a surprisingly good soundtrack.
-
We're not even off the first page and this thread has wandered so far off topic that even 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon would be able to save it.
What the hell are you talking about?
The thread is about the cute little milk carton from Blur's "Coffee & TV" music video, and every post but yours has been either about milk cartons or the band Blur.
-
Just to back up jough, Parklife was indeed huge, at least among the cats I know.
-
What is Bovril? Is it like Marmite or Vegemite? Do you eat it on chips or something? I am shockingly ignorant of British food.
-
Though I've never had it myself I have witnessed my father partake, he mixes it with hot water and drinks it. I believe this is the accepted method of ingestion but it is so bizzare that I wouldn't want to swear to it.
-
What is Bovril? Is it like Marmite or Vegemite? Do you eat it on chips or something? I am shockingly ignorant of British food.
-ahem-.
Bovril, formerly a beef extract, now is the trademarked name of a thick, salty yeast extract, sold in a distinctive, bulbous jar.
A spoonful of the semi-liquid paste in hot water makes a savoury drink. It can also be used as a flavouring for soups, stews or porridge, or spread on bread, especially toast.
In 1870-1871, in the war against the Germans, Napoleon III found that his armies could not 'march on empty stomachs'. Because of this he ordered one million cans of beef to feed his starving troops. The duty to provide all this beef went to a Scot called John Lawson Johnston. The only trouble was that Britain did not have a large enough quantity of beef to meet the French people's and Napoleon III's demand. John Lawson Johnston's first beef product was known as 'Johnston's Fluid Beef'. By the year 1888 in excess of 3000 English pubs, grocers and chemists were beginning to serve Bovril. In 1889, the Bovril Company was formed. 1966 saw the beginnings of Bovril's instant beef stock, followed by the 'King Beef' range of instant flavours for stews, casseroles and gravy in 1971. Bovril was based in Argentina and at the height of the Bovril empire the company owned ranches in Argentina that totalled the equivalent size of half of England, and owning over 1.5 million livestock. When John Lawson Johnston died, George Lawson Johnston inherited Bovril business. In 1929 George Lawson Johnston was recognised by the British Government and monarchy and was knighted, with the title Lord Luke or Baron Luke. The title Lord Luke is a hereditary title, which was passed to Ian St John Lawson Johnston in 1943 and Arthur Charles St John Lawson Johnston in 1996, who is one of the very few hereditary peers who was voted to remain a Lord in the House Of Lords in London, England.
The name, like many late 19th and early 20th century tradenames, comes (partially) from Latin, bos meaning "ox." The vril component of the name comes from Bulwer-Lytton's once-popular 19th century "lost race" novel, The Coming Race, in which a subterranean humanoid race have mental control over, and devastating powers from, an energy fluid named "Vril."
In November 2004 the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef to a yeast extract, both in the hope of allaying fears of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."
The manufacturers also hoped to increase exports to Asian countries such as Malaysia, a primarily Muslim country whose government was becoming restrictive on non-halal meat. By changing Bovril to a non-meat base, Unilever hopes to grow sales in the country, where people enjoy Bovril stirred into coffee and porridge.
The removal of beef from the recipie has not gone without criticism, with many complaining that the new variant does not taste the same and even has a different mouth feel. One individual even set aside space on his own website to try and pursuade Unilever to re-release the old formula bovril with beef extract.
It is served at the Groucho Club and is associated with football culture, commonly being drunk on the terraces from thermos flasks in winter.
A potential serving suggestion (as seen at football matches) is to shake white pepper and maybe a little cayenne into it before drinking. It can also be spread on buttered toast and eaten in a similar way to Marmite.
In short: It's meat-flavoured paste that you can either drink or spread.
-
Judy, I hope to christ that the above is a paste-job and you didn't just hold forth on Bovil for ten minutes.
-
Well, you know how it is being a teen. Once you start something that gives you a good feeling, no matter how guilty it makes you feel, you just can't stop yourself.
-
Well, you know how it is being a teen. Once you start something that gives you a good feeling, no matter how guilty it makes you feel, you just can't stop yourself.
"...and that's why my mom is always knocking on the bathroom door wanting to know what I could be doing in there for like 5 hours."
-
Bwahahaha! The bathroom quote was so wrong.
I have tried either Vegemite or Marmite, can't remember which. A friend of mine has an English mother and Welsh father, and so he persuaded me to try the stuff on toast when I was vegan. He said, "since you like weird food anyway, I bet you'll love this!" I didn't like it very much. And beef extract in Bovril? Whoa. I'm glad they changed it to vegan-friendly yeast instead. Although I'm sure that there will be those who will argue that the wee yeasties are indeed alive and therefore immoral to eat.
-
"...and that's why my mom is always knocking on the bathroom door wanting to know what I could be doing in there for like 5 hours."
Five hours? Really, Q.
(For more fun on this subject matter, see the topic What Do You Do For Your Money, Honey?) (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1312.0.html)
-
In November 2004 the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef to a yeast extract, both in the hope of allaying fears of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."
See over here that wouldn't fly. Witness New Coke which also tested much higher in blind taste tests but which lasted all of 3 days on the market.
-
no no no, have you not read the excellent book "Blink?"
They explain, in that book, that blind taste tests are not really reliable. New Coke was the reaction to the "Pepsi Challenge" (ie: blind taste test, people always preferred Pepsi.) The reason people always preferred Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge is that Pepsi is more initially sweet-- this results in a better first sip. However, the total "drink experience" of Coke is actually preferred by most Americans. And so the New Coke, which was really only trying to be Pepsi, failed.
-
no no no, have you not read the excellent book "Blink?"
They explain, in that book, that blind taste tests are not really reliable. New Coke was the reaction to the "Pepsi Challenge" (ie: blind taste test, people always preferred Pepsi.) The reason people always preferred Pepsi in the Pepsi Challenge is that Pepsi is more initially sweet-- this results in a better first sip. However, the total "drink experience" of Coke is actually preferred by most Americans. And so the New Coke, which was really only trying to be Pepsi, failed.
I think it also has something to do with Coke's switch from sugar to HFCS around this period. That and the fact that Pepsi tastes better and Coke is more syrupy.
-
amen. Pepsi is so much tastier.
-
amen. Pepsi is so much nastier.
I'm sure that's what you meant to say.
~Paul
-
I don't know why, but I dislike Pepsi. Coke all the way. There, don't I sound like a good little consumer? I hate the fact that I love Coke, because it's horribly bad for you, but I still love it. My new favorite are the tiny little 100-calorie cans. Cuter and fewer grams of High Fructose Corn Syrup, which goes straight to my ass, pitches a tent, and camps out all year.
But yeah. I initially thought that Marmite would be delicious, because yeast is in bread and in beer, so it must be tasty, right? I was wrong. Hmmm...Marmite...did they give it that name because it was Marrow? Since Bovril was beef/bovine extract...dunno, just thinking out loud I guess. I should Google before I type.
EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH http://www.marmite.com/hate/squeezy/ (http://www.marmite.com/hate/squeezy/)
That is pure comedic gold.
EDIT2: Judy totally heisted the Wikipedia entry for Bovril (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril).
-
which goes straight to my ass, pitches a tent, and camps out all year.
This could easily describe a couple of guys I know just as easily. Well not YOU specifically...er.. or me for that matter.
Oh dammit. A chance for lechery is all screwed up by my own incompetence. Curse you brain, you've foiled me yet again!