The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: DanSC on June 08, 2006, 08:27:53 am

Title: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: DanSC on June 08, 2006, 08:27:53 am
Is it just me, or too many major event storylines lately? We're still kinda just coming off the GOF.

edit: sorry, forgot to include the link. Please see my post count for explanation.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: melack on June 08, 2006, 08:44:26 am
Not to steal your thunder, but there's the link:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06082006 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06082006)

Now, my question is this: how is the Badass Games different from the Great Outdoor Fight? Do all arcs have to be some kind of epic competition? The distinction between Achewood as we know it and American Gladiators is blurring by the minute.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Drygioni on June 08, 2006, 09:03:49 am
The Badass Games is either a new competitor to the Great Outdoor Fight or the re-emergence of it (it was pretty much rendered destroyed by Ray and Beef).

Despite no real gag, I loved this strip. It's all in the little details that really make up the characters: Teodor's locked up in his study with hella computer gear, Mr Bear dressed up reading with a finger of fine liquor on the side, Pat's locks (fuck*ng hilarious), and Lyle sort of passed out, indeed passing by everything else.

Also, the -fft-
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: DanSC on June 08, 2006, 09:07:12 am
Incidentally my first thought was of COURSE Teodor is the kind of guy to have two flat screen monitors set up at his computer.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: MrCB on June 08, 2006, 09:48:53 am
I just want to watch Vlad kick some of the baddest ass around.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: wombat on June 08, 2006, 09:59:36 am
My first thought was that I am not one to complain about my free entertainment but not another GOF?

My second thought was that whenever I have Doubted before, I have been wrong.

There are many directions this could go in - for example, Nice Pete could be using it as a ruse to get them all in one place and mow them down with an assault weapon.

So, patience.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Mite on June 08, 2006, 11:19:19 am
Somebody's read Snow Crash. This could be interesting.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: DanSC on June 08, 2006, 11:45:03 am
Yeah that's right, I knew it sounded familiar from somewhere. I feel like Nice Pete does, now that someone has brought him up, have fairly Poor Impulse Control.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: jough on June 08, 2006, 12:12:42 pm
"They didn't like the Airwolf of Aluminium Diapers storylines, so I may as well do another Great Outdoor Fight.  That sure was popular."
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Bimmicus on June 08, 2006, 12:15:18 pm
Lyle sure does look peaceful, lying there in his own filth. I almost envy the dude.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2006, 01:02:15 pm
Vlad owns a Subway, is a notary public, and runs a pawn shop. Damn, that guy gets around.

I never seen the kind of lock at the top of Pat's door. How does that thing work? And did Pat install all of those after his wang was electrocuted, or did Lyle and Philippe just bypass all of them?
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Hobot on June 08, 2006, 01:36:57 pm
Oh Lyle, is that more spaghetti, or have you soiled yourself?

I'd like to point out that we already knew of Téodor's computer setup, because Ray used it to stage the motorcycle jump of Mount Everest (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07132004).

And I, too, loved the locks on Pat's door.  And Vlad!  It's nice to see that crazy 'bot again.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: nDed on June 08, 2006, 01:38:34 pm
I find it amusing that Téodor has an AM/FM radio on top of his computer. Dude really hates MP3s apparently.

Also, is it me or is Beef the only character that doesn't wear any clothes?
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Jeepers on June 08, 2006, 02:24:51 pm
Dear lord please not another month of GOF. I was plenty happy with aluminum diapers.

- also, nice catch on the Snow Crash reference. my favorite line from the book goes something like "the deliverators car was a shiny black lozenge with enough power to send a pound of bacon into the asteroid belt."

Brilliant!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2006, 02:37:52 pm
If there are Jeeps involved... ah, there are to useful threats I can make.  If there are Jeeps involved I will be sorely disappointed.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on June 08, 2006, 02:56:34 pm
Oh Lyle... sweet precious "sleeping" like a filthy soiled angel Lyle.

Also, Mr. Bear is one classy guy all putting on a tux just to read.  I picture it's a book which he has read before and for which he has an entire ceremony to so do.  "First, I don my best attire and prepare a hand-rolled.  Then, I will set aside four fingers of grappa.  This is the proper amount to make me just whimsical enough to enjoy Great Expectations."

I don't know why I picture him reading Great Expectations, I just do.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Hobot on June 08, 2006, 03:03:26 pm
Oh Lyle... sweet precious "sleeping" like a filthy soiled angel Lyle.

Also, Mr. Bear is one classy guy all putting on a tux just to read.  I picture it's a book which he has read before and for which he has an entire ceremony to so do.  "First, I don my best attire and prepare a hand-rolled.  Then, I will set aside four fingers of grappa.  This is the proper amount to make me just whimsical enough to enjoy Great Expectations."

I don't know why I picture him reading Great Expectations, I just do.

He also crosses his legs, apparently.

I picture him as more of a Middlemarch sort of fellow.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on June 08, 2006, 03:07:24 pm
He also crosses his legs, apparently.

I picture him as more of a Middlemarch sort of fellow.

Heh.. or Wuthering Heights.  :P  I should stop, this could go on all day.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: melack on June 08, 2006, 03:37:33 pm
I'd like to point out that we already knew of Téodor's computer setup, because Ray used it to stage the motorcycle jump of Mount Everest (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07132004).

I've actually done that myself from time to time, it's really quite fun (http://students.washington.edu/shaunmc/images/bikejump.jpg).
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: robot_god on June 08, 2006, 03:45:59 pm
First, I don my best attire and prepare a hand-rolled. 

Never put assunder what I believe to be the proper attyre for Great Expectations.

Also, I never entertained the thought that he hand rolls his own hand-rolleds.  I am pretty sure he "leaves" that up to experts.






omgz i cant believe there is gof 2 already this is going to be DA EXACT SAME THING despite the fact dat it is in olympic format n da snowcrash quote was edited cause da bear is 2 old
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Hobot on June 08, 2006, 03:46:50 pm
I've actually done that myself from time to time, it's really quite fun (http://students.washington.edu/shaunmc/images/bikejump.jpg).

Yay, another Mac user!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on June 08, 2006, 03:49:32 pm
Never put assunder what I believe to be the proper attyre for Great Expectations.

Also, I never entertained the thought that he hand rolls his own hand-rolleds.  I am pretty sure he "leaves" that up to experts

Puns man, puns!  Jough is about!  Watch your back!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on June 08, 2006, 03:56:49 pm
Erk. I can't really see this storyline going well ... which probably means it'll be the best set of strips yet.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2006, 04:16:44 pm
it will be run by beef and ray.

also: 'stad is ripping off himself, at this point.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 08, 2006, 05:52:34 pm
Vlad owns a Subway, is a notary public, and runs a pawn shop. Damn, that guy gets around.

As a *****, he does not sleep and hence can swing multiple gigs.

All this being said, I would not be surprised if this is Onstad purposely making us think we're gonna hit a variation on the Great Outdoor Fight, just so that he can blindside us with something completely different. He does a lot of that and... most of the time, it works. Maybe... I love making up arbitrary numbers... we'll say... when he creates a story beginning that seems to telegraph where he's going...

17% of the time, he strikes out.
55.4% of the time, he goes somewhere completely unexpected.
27.6% of the time, he goes where you thought but in such an exaggerated way that it works.

The completely made-up odds call for "completely unexpected".
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2006, 06:25:16 pm
This intro makes me want to watch that movie The Game again.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on June 08, 2006, 07:15:16 pm
A) Mac Fags reprezent.  Also, melack has a surprisingly small amount of items in his dock.  What the hell dude?

B) Also, just judging from these images, I'm pretty sure that Lyle has already won the badass competition, being passed out drunk (presumably sometime during the productive hours of the day) in his own filth.  If that's not badasssssss what is?
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: mrchee on June 09, 2006, 12:03:09 am
Its obvious that Vlad will win
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Ben-San on June 09, 2006, 12:47:10 am
I never seen the kind of lock at the top of Pat's door. How does that thing work? And did Pat install all of those after his wang was electrocuted, or did Lyle and Philippe just bypass all of them?

The top lock there is a modified hinge. He puts the spikey-handle thingy through it and the door cannot be opened. There is no way to lock or unlock it from outside, so functionally it's like a beefier version of those sliding chain locks.

What I don't get is the bottom lock. It looks like either (a) the door has a lever the size of a baseball bat or (b) it has a keyhole of equal size requiring a giant Fortress Of Solitude-esque key to open.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 01:02:59 am
What I don't get is the bottom lock. It looks like either (a) the door has a lever the size of a baseball bat or (b) it has a keyhole of equal size requiring a giant Fortress Of Solitude-esque key to open.


The bottom lock brings back a vague memory.  I can't place it, but I know what the thing is.  It is a metal pole that sticks into a depression in the door, and a depression in the floor the a couple of feet away from the door.  (That is why it looks fatter at the bottom in the drawing- it is Perspective.)  The door opens inward, obviously, or this wouldn't accomplish a damn thing.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on June 09, 2006, 01:26:30 am

The bottom lock brings back a vague memory.  I can't place it, but I know what the thing is.  It is a metal pole that sticks into a depression in the door, and a depression in the floor the a couple of feet away from the door.  (That is why it looks fatter at the bottom in the drawing- it is Perspective.)  The door opens inward, obviously, or this wouldn't accomplish a damn thing.
I thought it was just a vaguely ornate handle ... is that too easy?

Although if anyone were to have five locks on their door and no knob/handle to open said door with, it'd DEFINITELY be Pat.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: melack on June 09, 2006, 01:29:28 am
A) Mac Fags reprezent.  Also, melack has a surprisingly small amount of items in his dock.  What the hell dude?

And the sad thing is that I took that screen grab over a year ago, but my dock has the same number of items in it. Text Edit has been replaced with Adium, but it's still a fairly paltry number of items. What can I say? I'm a minimalist. Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on June 09, 2006, 01:48:55 am
Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 1992, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2006, 02:09:40 am
The top lock there is a modified hinge. He puts the spikey-handle thingy through it and the door cannot be opened. There is no way to lock or unlock it from outside, so functionally it's like a beefier version of those sliding chain locks.

What I don't get is the bottom lock. It looks like either (a) the door has a lever the size of a baseball bat or (b) it has a keyhole of equal size requiring a giant Fortress Of Solitude-esque key to open.

I think it's a metal bar attache to the door via a hinge. The other other can then be set into the floor much like bracing a chair against the doorknob only stronger and more effective. Think Big Lebowski.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2006, 02:30:14 am
I know not this Big Lebowski, but I don't remember such objects having a hinge.  Wouldn't they be too long to be hinged to the door, if they are going to reach the floor in a bracing position?

Edit:  Oh look, they've invented a totally portable one:
http://www.alltvstuff.com/jodo1.html
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: jough on June 09, 2006, 02:33:27 am
I know not this Big Lebowski

GASPO!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2006, 02:38:36 am
I know not this Big Lebowski, but I don't remember such objects having a hinge.  Wouldn't they be too long to be hinged to the door, if they are going to reach the floor in a bracing position?

Edit:  Oh look, they've invented a totally portable one:
http://www.alltvstuff.com/jodo1.html

You're right about me making up the hinge part. I apparently have hinges on my mind.

Quote from: Washington Post
Thursday, June 8
Out in Arlington, there's this party that we wanna tell you about. Goes by the name of "The Big Lebowski Movie & Music Night." At least that was the handle the promoters gave it, but we never had much use for it ourselves. See, we call it "Dudefest." It includes a screening of the movie, trivia contests and guitarist Dave Jordan covering songs from the soundtrack. Sound good? Thought so. The Arlington Cinema 'N' Drafthouse's doors open at 7:30, and if you come dressed as a character from the movie -- and we're so calling dibs on Blondie and Woo -- you get free tickets to a future show of your choice.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2006, 04:15:29 am
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 1992, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane.

I love Unforzen Caveman Lawyer.  It was Phil Hartman's finest moment.  Bravo Good Sir.

~Paul
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2006, 04:30:08 am
I love Unforzen Caveman Lawyer.  It was Phil Hartman's finest moment.  Bravo Good Sir.

~Paul

Phil Hartman did so many great things.

Bill McNeil.  Lionel Hutz.  Troy McClure.  Captain Carl.  He was a wonderful comic actor.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on June 09, 2006, 05:09:56 am
And the sad thing is that I took that screen grab over a year ago, but my dock has the same number of items in it. Text Edit has been replaced with Adium, but it's still a fairly paltry number of items. What can I say? I'm a minimalist. Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.

Fear me then! (http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=163445894&size=o)

Couldn't resist, sorry.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: melack on June 09, 2006, 05:18:27 am
I would say that dock may as well just be a finder with all the items you have there, but God Damn! The SNES, NES and Genesis icons totally save it. Bravo, my friend. Bravo.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: FlipConstantine on June 09, 2006, 05:24:23 am
My favorite part is the two seperate versions of emacs.  What?  It's a good editor! 


Anyway, cartoon cats.  Funny, no?
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: oball on June 09, 2006, 07:01:45 am
Anyway, cartoon cats.  Funny, no?

Hilarious. (http://www.garfield.com/)
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 09, 2006, 01:38:02 pm
You're right about me making up the hinge part. I apparently have hinges on my mind.

I'm more of a flange (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92oflanges.phtml/) man, myself.  Because when you've got hydraulic torque leakthrough, every second can mean lost pranktens!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2006, 04:21:11 pm
Phil Hartman did so many great things.

Bill McNeil.  Lionel Hutz.  Troy McClure.  Captain Carl.  He was a wonderful comic actor.

Phil Hartman, as I mentioned, played Captain Carl.  Captain Carl in Pee Wee's Playhouse.  Pee Wee's Playhouse which is coming to Adult Swim on July 10.

 http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/06/05/pee-wees-playhouse-coming-to-adult-swim/#comments

 LONG LIVE JAMBI!
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on June 10, 2006, 01:21:35 am
No love for Pee Wee? 

I'm disappointed in ALL of you.
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on June 10, 2006, 01:56:39 am
I think we're all down with Pee Wee, but really what can we add?

(I'd also like to point out that Laurence giraffeburne played Cowboy Curtis... okay so I did have something to add)
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on June 10, 2006, 05:49:17 am
Much love to PeeWee.  All Paul's are good people.

~Paul
Title: Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
Post by: side_show on June 10, 2006, 01:17:30 pm
Holy shizznit Aug - that is big news all up in here.  I am equal parts terrified and excited.  The Adult Swim connection can only lead to absolute good.