Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006  (Read 9664 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 01:26:30 am »


The bottom lock brings back a vague memory.  I can't place it, but I know what the thing is.  It is a metal pole that sticks into a depression in the door, and a depression in the floor the a couple of feet away from the door.  (That is why it looks fatter at the bottom in the drawing- it is Perspective.)  The door opens inward, obviously, or this wouldn't accomplish a damn thing.
I thought it was just a vaguely ornate handle ... is that too easy?

Although if anyone were to have five locks on their door and no knob/handle to open said door with, it'd DEFINITELY be Pat.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 01:29:28 am »

A) Mac Fags reprezent.  Also, melack has a surprisingly small amount of items in his dock.  What the hell dude?

And the sad thing is that I took that screen grab over a year ago, but my dock has the same number of items in it. Text Edit has been replaced with Adium, but it's still a fairly paltry number of items. What can I say? I'm a minimalist. Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 01:48:55 am »

Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 1992, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 02:09:40 am »

The top lock there is a modified hinge. He puts the spikey-handle thingy through it and the door cannot be opened. There is no way to lock or unlock it from outside, so functionally it's like a beefier version of those sliding chain locks.

What I don't get is the bottom lock. It looks like either (a) the door has a lever the size of a baseball bat or (b) it has a keyhole of equal size requiring a giant Fortress Of Solitude-esque key to open.

I think it's a metal bar attache to the door via a hinge. The other other can then be set into the floor much like bracing a chair against the doorknob only stronger and more effective. Think Big Lebowski.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 02:30:14 am »

I know not this Big Lebowski, but I don't remember such objects having a hinge.  Wouldn't they be too long to be hinged to the door, if they are going to reach the floor in a bracing position?

Edit:  Oh look, they've invented a totally portable one:
http://www.alltvstuff.com/jodo1.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 02:33:27 am »

I know not this Big Lebowski

GASPO!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 02:38:36 am »

I know not this Big Lebowski, but I don't remember such objects having a hinge.  Wouldn't they be too long to be hinged to the door, if they are going to reach the floor in a bracing position?

Edit:  Oh look, they've invented a totally portable one:
http://www.alltvstuff.com/jodo1.html

You're right about me making up the hinge part. I apparently have hinges on my mind.

Quote from: Washington Post
Thursday, June 8
Out in Arlington, there's this party that we wanna tell you about. Goes by the name of "The Big Lebowski Movie & Music Night." At least that was the handle the promoters gave it, but we never had much use for it ourselves. See, we call it "Dudefest." It includes a screening of the movie, trivia contests and guitarist Dave Jordan covering songs from the soundtrack. Sound good? Thought so. The Arlington Cinema 'N' Drafthouse's doors open at 7:30, and if you come dressed as a character from the movie -- and we're so calling dibs on Blondie and Woo -- you get free tickets to a future show of your choice.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 04:15:29 am »

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing: in the 20 years from March 22, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25, 1992, when he issued an interoffice memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane.

I love Unforzen Caveman Lawyer.  It was Phil Hartman's finest moment.  Bravo Good Sir.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 04:30:08 am »

I love Unforzen Caveman Lawyer.  It was Phil Hartman's finest moment.  Bravo Good Sir.

~Paul

Phil Hartman did so many great things.

Bill McNeil.  Lionel Hutz.  Troy McClure.  Captain Carl.  He was a wonderful comic actor.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 05:09:56 am »

And the sad thing is that I took that screen grab over a year ago, but my dock has the same number of items in it. Text Edit has been replaced with Adium, but it's still a fairly paltry number of items. What can I say? I'm a minimalist. Or maybe it's just that docks with too many apps both frighten and confuse me.

Fear me then!

Couldn't resist, sorry.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 05:18:27 am »

I would say that dock may as well just be a finder with all the items you have there, but God Damn! The SNES, NES and Genesis icons totally save it. Bravo, my friend. Bravo.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006, 05:24:23 am »

My favorite part is the two seperate versions of emacs.  What?  It's a good editor! 


Anyway, cartoon cats.  Funny, no?
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 07:01:45 am »

Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 01:38:02 pm »

You're right about me making up the hinge part. I apparently have hinges on my mind.

I'm more of a flange man, myself.  Because when you've got hydraulic torque leakthrough, every second can mean lost pranktens!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE - June 8, 2006
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 04:21:11 pm »

Phil Hartman did so many great things.

Bill McNeil.  Lionel Hutz.  Troy McClure.  Captain Carl.  He was a wonderful comic actor.

Phil Hartman, as I mentioned, played Captain Carl.  Captain Carl in Pee Wee's Playhouse.  Pee Wee's Playhouse which is coming to Adult Swim on July 10.

 http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/06/05/pee-wees-playhouse-coming-to-adult-swim/#comments

 LONG LIVE JAMBI!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up