The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on June 26, 2006, 12:21:05 am

Title: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 26, 2006, 12:21:05 am
I recently came across some of his work, and while I liked it, he seems like one of those artists that I would only really listen to one or two of his discs.  I only heard a couple songs and have no idea what they were, but they were good enough to peak my interest.  I know that a couple members of this board are fans and I was wondering where to start a collection.  All Music recommends "I See Darkness".


As a side note, if you are into African music at all, I could not recommend this:

http://www.soundwayrecords.com/.%5CalbumTrackList.cfm?type=releases&album=Ghana%20Soundz%20Volume%202

and this:

http://www.soundwayrecords.com/.%5CalbumTrackList.cfm?type=releases&album=Ghana%20Soundz%20Volume%201

more for some sweet fusion.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: starlight on June 26, 2006, 02:04:34 am
I have a few bpb albums and really 'i see a darkness' is the best!

As for African music, though I'm unsure what it has to do with bpb.... I have a downloaded copy of this:  http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item.asp?Item_id=14&cd=BUSH-TAXI-MALI:-Field-Recordings-From-Mali
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 26, 2006, 02:19:32 am
It has nothing to do with BPB, just something I was listening to at the time.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: Bozack on July 04, 2006, 08:03:58 pm
You will listen to ALL of Bonnie "Prince" Billy, or, rather, Will Oldham. You will listen to him as BPB, Palace Music, Palace Brothers, etc. You will download his live shows, including the 3-day, every-night Brussels shows. You will memorize his bizarre ejaculations and recite them to your friends, shouting, "I'VE GOT CLOWN IN MY EYES! MAKES ME LAUGH!" If you are me, you will see him at the local video store, because he lives in your town. You will find a copy of Tripping With Caveh (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429192/plotsummary) and delight in Will's tiny pink under#####.

Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: AugustWest on July 04, 2006, 09:00:55 pm
BOZACK!!!
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: pmcd9 on July 04, 2006, 09:12:41 pm
Yeah, pretty much everything Bozack says is true.  I don't know if I ever posted this picture (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BPB/DSCN0777-E-1024.jpg) which I took at a BPB show at The Orange Show (http://www.orangeshow.org/) on Memorial Day in 2004.  Frikkin' Awesome!!!

Oh, and Bozack i'm still waiting for those BPB albums you were gonna send me oh 3 years ago.

~Paul
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: slink on July 04, 2006, 09:53:10 pm
You will listen to ALL of Bonnie "Prince" Billy, or, rather, Will Oldham.

You will listen to both Tweaker albums featuring tracks co-written by Oldham. That is The Attraction to All Things Uncertain and 2am Wake Up Call. I don't know his other stuff yet, but have been meaning to check it out since liking him on these two albums so much.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: Bozack on July 05, 2006, 12:08:57 am
Yeah I'm back!
Paul, I assure you...those CDs...you know those Twilight Zone episodes where time gets messed up, and in the end someone always finds a musty old artifact that actually came FROM THE FUTURE?
One day, a spaceman will return from the moon clutching a manilla envelope. And inside will be several Bonnie "Prince" Billy cds, and a note that reads
PAUL- THESE ARE FOR YOU
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: wombat on July 05, 2006, 12:20:02 am
OK, you are back, but we are not so easily satisfied.  Where have you been?  Where and why are you going?  We need the whole story of Bozack Returns!
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: jough on July 05, 2006, 04:03:37 am
The dude just saved the Space Shuttle and stopped an airliner from crashing. Let him catch his breath.

Sheesh.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2006, 05:56:05 am
yeah, and his girl totally got it OWN with some other dude and has a kid. he doesn't cry-- he is a man.


that manila envelope scenario is amazing.

um, hi. I am actually named Dan, or Daniel, not TheInevitable. I admire your earlier work, sir.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: Bozack on July 05, 2006, 03:38:40 pm
Oh man. I'm not quite sure where I left off...Well, I guess it all started when Joe Chill killed my parents in front of me, out in back of the opera. I swore that day to become more than a man...
Wait, no. I think the last update to Mark's Life was this spring, when I was taking classes at Columbia and applying at colleges. Columbia didn't want me, despite a 3.75, so now I'm going up to Montreal, to McGill. Where I'll be the foremost Canadian intellectual since McLuhan.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2006, 05:04:02 pm
oh, brilliant. If it's any consolation, the only guy I know who goes to Columbia is a dick. His name is, literally, Richard.

I'm going to school in St Louis, myself. Washington University. Awesome.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: jough on July 05, 2006, 05:10:16 pm
We also haven't seen Beatrice since Bozack's departure (shortly after being made a mod, I might add - tsk tsk tsk) just fueling our already suspicious minds that they are in fact the same person.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2006, 07:05:11 pm
It's nice to see Slink and Bozack return, but i'd trade them both for Andalucia's return.

Even further unrelated to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, where is V?

~Paul
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2006, 07:06:47 pm
man, that is harsh.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: Bozack on July 05, 2006, 07:20:07 pm
V graduated and now is on vacation.
NICE TO SEE YOU TOO PAUL.

We'll see if those BPB cds ever come back from the Crab Nebula now!
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2006, 08:00:50 pm
NICE TO SEE YOU TOO PAUL.

We'll see if those BPB cds ever come back from the Crab Nebula now!

You know I love you Bozack, you are, after all, my internet son.

~Paul
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: Thee on July 31, 2006, 11:13:43 pm
Whoa whoa, everyone back up here, all I've heard of Will is Johnny Cash covering I C A Darkness, I need something to break in with here.

Someone tell me right now what album I should get of his first.  Right Now.
Title: Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Post by: starlight on August 07, 2006, 01:25:13 am
I'm listening to the new album right now... 'The Letting Go'.

So far, it's nice.  not blowing me away or anything, but the song 'Cursed Sleep' which I guess is the single is the best thus far.  second best is the opener 'Love Comes To Me'.

It comes out Sept. 19th.  I'll probably buy it.