Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonnie "Prince" Billy  (Read 5561 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:05 am »

I recently came across some of his work, and while I liked it, he seems like one of those artists that I would only really listen to one or two of his discs.  I only heard a couple songs and have no idea what they were, but they were good enough to peak my interest.  I know that a couple members of this board are fans and I was wondering where to start a collection.  All Music recommends "I See Darkness".


As a side note, if you are into African music at all, I could not recommend this:

http://www.soundwayrecords.com/.%5CalbumTrackList.cfm?type=releases&album=Ghana%20Soundz%20Volume%202

and this:

http://www.soundwayrecords.com/.%5CalbumTrackList.cfm?type=releases&album=Ghana%20Soundz%20Volume%201

more for some sweet fusion.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:04:34 am »

I have a few bpb albums and really 'i see a darkness' is the best!

As for African music, though I'm unsure what it has to do with bpb.... I have a downloaded copy of this:  http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/item.asp?Item_id=14&cd=BUSH-TAXI-MALI:-Field-Recordings-From-Mali
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:19:32 am »

It has nothing to do with BPB, just something I was listening to at the time.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:03:58 pm »

You will listen to ALL of Bonnie "Prince" Billy, or, rather, Will Oldham. You will listen to him as BPB, Palace Music, Palace Brothers, etc. You will download his live shows, including the 3-day, every-night Brussels shows. You will memorize his bizarre ejaculations and recite them to your friends, shouting, "I'VE GOT CLOWN IN MY EYES! MAKES ME LAUGH!" If you are me, you will see him at the local video store, because he lives in your town. You will find a copy of Tripping With Caveh and delight in Will's tiny pink under#####.

Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:00:55 pm »

BOZACK!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:12:41 pm »

Yeah, pretty much everything Bozack says is true.  I don't know if I ever posted this picture which I took at a BPB show at The Orange Show on Memorial Day in 2004.  Frikkin' Awesome!!!

Oh, and Bozack i'm still waiting for those BPB albums you were gonna send me oh 3 years ago.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:53:10 pm »

You will listen to ALL of Bonnie "Prince" Billy, or, rather, Will Oldham.

You will listen to both Tweaker albums featuring tracks co-written by Oldham. That is The Attraction to All Things Uncertain and 2am Wake Up Call. I don't know his other stuff yet, but have been meaning to check it out since liking him on these two albums so much.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 12:08:57 am »

Yeah I'm back!
Paul, I assure you...those CDs...you know those Twilight Zone episodes where time gets messed up, and in the end someone always finds a musty old artifact that actually came FROM THE FUTURE?
One day, a spaceman will return from the moon clutching a manilla envelope. And inside will be several Bonnie "Prince" Billy cds, and a note that reads
PAUL- THESE ARE FOR YOU
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:20:02 am »

OK, you are back, but we are not so easily satisfied.  Where have you been?  Where and why are you going?  We need the whole story of Bozack Returns!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 04:03:37 am »

The dude just saved the Space Shuttle and stopped an airliner from crashing. Let him catch his breath.

Sheesh.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:05 am »

yeah, and his girl totally got it OWN with some other dude and has a kid. he doesn't cry-- he is a man.


that manila envelope scenario is amazing.

um, hi. I am actually named Dan, or Daniel, not TheInevitable. I admire your earlier work, sir.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 03:38:40 pm »

Oh man. I'm not quite sure where I left off...Well, I guess it all started when Joe Chill killed my parents in front of me, out in back of the opera. I swore that day to become more than a man...
Wait, no. I think the last update to Mark's Life was this spring, when I was taking classes at Columbia and applying at colleges. Columbia didn't want me, despite a 3.75, so now I'm going up to Montreal, to McGill. Where I'll be the foremost Canadian intellectual since McLuhan.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 05:04:02 pm »

oh, brilliant. If it's any consolation, the only guy I know who goes to Columbia is a dick. His name is, literally, Richard.

I'm going to school in St Louis, myself. Washington University. Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:10:16 pm »

We also haven't seen Beatrice since Bozack's departure (shortly after being made a mod, I might add - tsk tsk tsk) just fueling our already suspicious minds that they are in fact the same person.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »

It's nice to see Slink and Bozack return, but i'd trade them both for Andalucia's return.

Even further unrelated to Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, where is V?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up