The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: robot_god on July 02, 2006, 08:05:27 am
-
Now is the moment of truth. Do not choose carelessly, plzz.
There is no turning back on this inward journey.
-
Damn right
Camerons rule.
-
I feel I have the wrong mindset being the only 'No' so far.
-
I was indirectly (in that my parents just liked the name rather than deliberately naming me in her honour) named after Julia Child, who just so happens to be one of Smith's more famous alums. Coincidence!
-
Gender-neutral names aren't all that fun. Also, a lot of non-native English speakers cannot pronounce it at all when it's written down.
-
I have always wanted to change my name, mostly because it is so generic sounding.
There's like a milion other me's out there.
-
I have always wanted to change my name, mostly because it is so generic sounding.
There's like a milion other me's out there.
-obligatory 'Oh Dear God No!'-
-
Gender-neutral names aren't all that fun.
There are girls with your first name?
-
There are girls with your first name?
Oh yeah. While there are more famous male Kyle's I personally know more female Kyle's. When I was in elementary/middle school one of Barker's Beauties was a Kyle. Although Kylie is becoming more popular for girls that didn't help me much growing up.
-
Indeed, I see here (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/names1980s.html) that in the 1980's, 2,416 girl Kyles were born. I find this appalling. There are plenty of perfectly good names for girls, what is the point of this thievery?
Interestingly it drops out of the top 1000 names for girls (so is not recorded in these statistics) in the 1990s and 2000s, but I guess that doesn't do you any good.
Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less. It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.
-
Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less. It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.
I thought your name was very popular. Hmm, shows what I know. I suppose you wish you were named Ashley... For me there will only ever be one Wombat.
~Paul
-
I thought your name was very popular.
That's because you're my age. You probably had three girls with my name in your kindergarten class like I did. Now they all named Ashley instead. Or Madison.
If I had changed my name, I wanted to be Alison. Go figure. But changing your name seemed like a pretentious fuss that would be worse than just putting up with not liking my name.
-
man, I rock the old-school names hardcore.
as a joke, I gave a girl I know a baby-names book with all the ones I like circled. so I have a pretty good grip on which names I like. Mostly Biblical ones, for some reason.
-
Mostly Biblical ones, for some reason.
Bathsheba? Jezebel?
Actually it seems that a majority of the popular names have a Biblical connection, although a lot of them are so common now that you don't think of it.
-
Biblical names are often pretty awesome*, but I had to be lumbered with the most boring one possible. No, it is not Judy.
*Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel,
With Simeon and Levi the next in line
Naphtali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
Zebulon and Gad took the total to nine,
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Joseph - Jacob's favourite son.
-
I've got a Biblical name myself - one of the prophets. I like it pretty well; it's uncommon enough that confusion is rare and common enough that it usually doesn't cause trouble.
-
yeah, I don't necessarily mean the "strange" ones. I mean like... michael, daniel, jacob, etc. the ones you don't really think of as being Biblical.
-
Mike was fun as a kid, because I could pretend that it was Kryptonian... Mich-El. My younger brother is a Dan so it worked too. Mich-El, Dan-El. That's why Superman's name is Kal-El, I've read, because his creators were semi-observant members of the Jewish faith and thought the whole Biblical El thing was strong and cool sounding.
Now it's nice because... my middle name and last name are completely ethnic and hard to pronounce.
So I got something, anyway.
-
I've got a Biblical first name, you'll never guess it.
~Paul
-
I've got a Biblical first name, you'll never guess it.
~Paul
It's Edward isn't it? I bet it's Edward!
-
My name isn't even spelled right. My parents can't spell. All my names are assy. If they just would've named me Richard Boner things would've been a lot simpler.
-
How else do you spell "Flip"?
I've never met a girl named Kyle.
I know at least seven Lindas.
I like my first name, but I did change it myself.
We should ask what Slink thinks of this thread.
Q, at least your name is spelled differently than the thousands of other Mikes.
The soap opera names that people are giving their kids now are really stupid.
Do you know how many fuck*ng "Madison"s there will be in elementary schools in a few years?
I have cousins who named their kids "Taylor" and "Morgan" and they deserve to be beaten with reeds (the cousins, not the kids).
I have sort of a biblical name. It's Hebrew at least in pronunciation.
-
The soap opera names that people are giving their kids now are really stupid.
Do you know how many fuck*ng "Madison"s there will be in elementary schools in a few years?
They are there already. It's been in the top ten since 1997.
This is the top ten girls names for last year according to the Social Security website:
Emily
Emma
Madison
Abigail
Olivia
Isabella
Hannah
Samantha
Ava
Ashley
Most of these have been popular for a few years, but Ava has sort of come out of nowhere, making the leap from 25 the previous year and 89 the year before that.
Boys' names have usually not been as susceptible to fashion, with the same names staying at the top for decades, but this has been changing. Now you've got Joshua and Jacob in the top ten - and Ethan. WTF, people?
Yes, I spend too much time on that website.
-
How else do you spell "Flip"?
That's not my name, apparently i missed the point where people started using their real names for UN's. But I guess 'round these parts everyone seems to know everyone else's name.
To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin.
-
To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin.
Oh, honey, that is too sad. I can see that that's enough to make anyone get snippy at Jough's joking around.
-
That's not my name, apparently i missed the point where people started using their real names for UN's. But I guess 'round these parts everyone seems to know everyone else's name.
To clarify, my name is Colyn, which is, of course, a misspelling of Colin.
You're not the only one with a weirdly spelled name. Mine's more fucked up than yours I assure you.
-
Indeed, I see here (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/names1980s.html) that in the 1980's, 2,416 girl Kyles were born. I find this appalling. There are plenty of perfectly good names for girls, what is the point of this thievery?
Interestingly it drops out of the top 1000 names for girls (so is not recorded in these statistics) in the 1990s and 2000s, but I guess that doesn't do you any good.
Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less. It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.
To be fair Kyle apparently started as a surname, so it's theivery across the board.
Freakonomics talks about how baby names move down the economic ladder. There's an excerpt in Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2116505/) that's an interesting read.
-
yeah. all the kids at my school are named such as Madison and Chase.
Also, apparently there is this Southern thing where you name your child with the mother's maiden name.
creating such names as Stuart (a girl I am friends with. that is right-- a girl named Stuart. Her last name is basically worse. Her name alliterates.)
-
I have always liked my name, it's common enough that people know how to say it, but not overly popular, which is nice. I've only had one acquaintance with my name in my entire life. Also, some baby books say it means "darkness" "mourning" or "the dark one," which was so cool to me at one point, and now just weird.
I work mostly with two other people: one of my coworkers has a daughter named Juliette, and the other coworker has a son named Sebastian. If an accident happens, I'll have a little Falstaff in a stroller one day.
-
Also, apparently there is this Southern thing where you name your child with the mother's maiden name. creating such names as Stuart (a girl I am friends with. that is right-- a girl named Stuart. Her last name is basically worse. Her name alliterates.)
Huh, I didn't know it was a southern thing or that it was for girls. My brother is named Stewart, my Mother's Mother's maiden name. My sister named one of her sons McRae. The girls in my family are all sorta named after one another. My Grandmother was named Fay (yes, just Fay, no middle name), my Mother is Dorothy Annette, my sister is Annette Fay, and my Neice is Casey Annette. I'm named after my Uncle Paul and my Grandfather Marvin.
~Paul
-
Indifferent, but if I ever have a recording contract I will go by Charles the van Pockette, or pocket. My name is hell of bland, but not alot of people have it, so I guess that is okay. Q, how do you spell it?
-
It's Edward isn't it? I bet it's Edward!
It's Zebulon.
Man if we followed that granny's maiden name tradition I'd be named Blood. That would be sweet.
But my kid would be named Farmer. Which is I guess not so sweet.
Chase and Morgan and so on just grate right down my spine. No child should be named by a smiling early thirties professional wearing a turtle neck sweater.
Unless 'morgan' was named after the rum, that's alright.
-
Wait, are we involving middle names now?
I was middle-named after my uncle Marty, meaning that of course my middle name is Zvi. This is how Jews name after each other.
-
Huh, I didn't know it was a southern thing or that it was for girls. My brother is named Stewart, my Mother's Mother's maiden name. My sister named one of her sons McRae. The girls in my family are all sorta named after one another. My Grandmother was named Fay (yes, just Fay, no middle name), my Mother is Dorothy Annette, my sister is Annette Fay, and my Neice is Casey Annette. I'm named after my Uncle Paul and my Grandfather Marvin.
I went to camp with a girl named McRae. Well technically it's her middle name, but it's what she went by. Her first name was just Megan, so either she just liked having a weird name or there were a lot of Megans at her school or something.
Regardless, in my experience people named McRae = awesome.
-
yeah, there is also a girl at my school named "Mary-Salem" who just goes by "Salem."
that is probably my favorite. Salem. It rolls off the tongue.
-
Biblical names are often pretty awesome*, but I had to be lumbered with the most boring one possible. No, it is not Judy.
*Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel,
With Simeon and Levi the next in line
Naphtali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
Zebulon and Gad took the total to nine,
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Joseph - Jacob's favourite son.
Did your school do 'Joseph'? Were you in it? ALso is one of these your real name?
-
Did your school do 'Joseph'? Were you in it? ALso is one of these your real name?
I recently played the bass guitar for a production of Joseph last December. There were some funkin' AWESOME basslines. To be fair, I did ignore most of the sheet music and did DYNAMIC improvisation. I didn't get kicked out during the interval, so I suppose it went all right.
And I got this BITCHIN' T shirt.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/DSC00036.jpg)
This is the most you'll ever be seeing of me. I don't even think I managed to pull off a T-shirt shot without looking fat/misshapen (I like to think I am neither of these things)
And much to my regret I am not called any of the names from the Jacob song. Man, if only.
-
You played a giraffe? That's weak, man.
-
Oh dear, Jough. I thought you didn't like
bad puns?
(My Graphics teacher was rather hilariously named Mrs C. Bass. A-CAPck A-CAPck.)
-
I'm kinda ambivalent towards my name. It's frightfully common among women 18-30, but with a slightly less common spelling (I'm Sara, not Sarah - I hardly give a rat's ass anymore, though).
I was named after a great great grandmother, though, so it's not like my mom just pulled the name out of Redbook in 1980 or something.
But if I'd been a boy, I'd be John, named after Mr. Wesley, founder of the United Methodist Church. Can ya tell my dad was still in seminary while I was cookin'?
-
My first name is one grandfather's first name and my middle name is the other grandfather's middle name. I'm OK with my first name, but my middle name I've never been fond off.
I do have a cousin named Ross Ann.
-
At first glance I thought Judy's sign said "I played balls". Shows where my brain's at.
-
At first glance I thought Judy's sign said "I played balls". Shows where my brain's at.
I play boules.
-
I have a Pavlovian response to my first name, because the only time I get called by it is when I'm in trouble with my family. I was named after my mom's best friend. It is also similar to the name of a former first lady. People always fuck it up and mispronounce it so I'm just like, "The hell with it, call me Somebody nice".
-
OK, worst naming stories, first of a series:
my great-grandmother's best friend had a baby. she named it Ornetta, because that was the tradition in her family. This baby was like, ornetta #1 billion. And then, because this was like 1900, the baby died.
So, when my grandmother was born, my great grandmother named her Ornetta, to comfort her friend.
WTF MISGUIDED GESTURES??
-
Or maybe your greatgrandmother stole the baby, replaced it with a dead one and just couldn't bear to change the name.
'My Baby is dead and now it's a boy!'
'Oh what a shame. By the way I just gave birth...'.
'You were pregnant?'
'Oh sure, now don't worry about that; check out dear little Ornetta.'
'That was my baby's name!'
'Uh... yeah, I thought naming my baby after yours would comfort you in your time of mourning.'
-
I am a III, so my only problems with my first name are the fact that a) companies confuse me with my father, b) people who didn't know my dad was Jr. call me Junior, c) There is usually no way to properly enter my name in a form, and d) Being "the third" automatically implies some elite upbringing in The Hamptons or servants or something.
By tradition, I could have been called either Trip or Trey. I'm glad that didn't happen. The odd thing is that they were going to call me by my middle name but decided not to, and now my nom de internet is very similar to that.
My sister's kids are all named after other members of the family, so: Mary Nobles (technically first and middle), Frances, and James III (who goes by Hughes, his middle name).
-
I am a III, so my only problems with my first name are the fact that a) companies confuse me with my father, b) people who didn't know my dad was Jr. call me Junior, c) There is usually no way to properly enter my name in a form, and d) Being "the third" automatically implies some elite upbringing in The Hamptons or servants or something.
No kidding, I'm a III too. Do you actually have to refer to yourself as 'the third' in forms and so forth? Is **** Jr. Jr. acceptable? Luckily, I don't sound like I have servants as my name is common among the proles. If I was Rupert the Third, that would be a different matter.
Of course, I am now going to name my son the same as myself so he can be 'the Fourth.'. It's not punishment; it's tradition!
-
I hate hate hate being a Jr. I hate it more than life itself.
Wait.. that didn't come out right. That didn't come out right at all!
-
I like my first name, but I did change it myself.
We should ask what Slink thinks of this thread.
Funnily enough...
I think, much like you really. Although, occasionally I wonder what the hell...
That said, if you were to take my real first name, which I did keep, I do like that. I just hated what it was contracted into for daily use.
My mother changed her name slightly in about the late 70s (to Jodie), when no one was called that, and then everyone ended up being called it in the 90s. I've had, three or four female friends, one girlfriend and a male friend called Jodi or Jody.
Now, what of hating your surname?
-
Now, what of hating your surname?
Hey Slink! You probably don't know who I am.
My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.
-
My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.
I cannot confirm anything about Judy's real name, as the name the Judy supplied to me was clearly cleverly made-up to sound like a character in something Great British to a ridiculously over-the-top degree. He did the same with his address, even.
As for surnames, I have no fondness for my own, but the Technical Staff's is useful because no one can pronounce it properly when they see it written down. Thus we always know when a stranger is calling to try to part us from our money. Along with the callers who ask for Mrs. Technical Staff and Mr. Wombat, neither of whom exist as such.
-
Hey Slink! You probably don't know who I am.
My surname: It is the worst Scottish surname ever. Wombat will know this.
Howdy. I think I was around, at least in my... lurky sunset phase, for your arrival.
And so I ponder, being a Scot... Wemyss? Farquhar? No, they're great...
McDonald as it's dreadfully Scottish?
-
I've always hated my surname. Always. I wanted to change it when I was young but missed the chance. Now everyone knows me by it, and I've been published under it and will soon be produced under it, so it's basically too late. It does help because there's only four people with our surname in the entire city (the other three being my parents and sister), so if someone knows our last name, they know us. Also, like Wombat, I enjoy knowing when a telemarketer is calling for me, because it is basicaly impossible to get the name right.
-
I'm pretty eh about my surname, and I'm pretty eh about my husband's too, so I've (so far, anyway) been too lazy to change it. However, since I'm going to start publishing relatively soon (academically anyway), it's kinda now or never as far as changing my name goes. I don't want to start to build up a reputation with one name and then switch to another.
So many forms, though...
-
If my Grandfather hadn't had it changed when he boated on over here, my last name would've been Schmielewski (Pronounced: Chhem-uh-less-key with a lot of phlegmy stuff going on the front end.) I am not sure if this is better or worse than my current surname.
-
man, I am so upset about my last name. I have such a boring White Guy last name. and everyone else in my family had cool last names. it was cool surnames all the way down, and then this guy marries my grandma and ruins everything.
It's a chain, like:
Munro - Blaney - (boring last name that is mine)
and on my mom's side:
Hoare (i swear to god this was it. I laughed so hard.)--Avendaņo-- Aguilera-- Barahona-- (boring last name I have now.)
I am angst(y) about it.
-
man, I am so upset about my last name. I have such a boring White Guy last name.
I had the commonest surname from one whole region of the country. Probably about the second most ocmmon surname in the country... And my mother's maiden name was only a few letters off from my father's surname.
If my Grandfather hadn't had it changed when he boated on over here, my last name would've been Schmielewski (Pronounced: Chhem-uh-less-key with a lot of phlegmy stuff going on the front end.) I am not sure if this is better or worse than my current surname.
I often wonder whether I should have chosen a surname with a little more ethnicity to it. The one I went for gets mispronounced enough as it is. If I were you I'd so revert to Schmielewski! But I'm crazy...
-
I often wonder whether I should have chosen a surname with a little more ethnicity to it. The one I went for gets mispronounced enough as it is. If I were you I'd so revert to Schmielewski! But I'm crazy...
I'm seriously considering it. Or taking on my mom's maiden name which is "Unger", but then my last name is soooo bland now it's not even funny.
If I ever do the whole "Change my entire name" as I plan, I will finally be able to rest knowing that my tombstone/urn/unmarked ditch will not be a creeping horror of nomenclature.
-
If I ever do the whole "Change my entire name" as I plan, I will finally be able to rest knowing that my tombstone/urn/unmarked ditch will not be a creeping horror of nomenclature.
It's wonderful. Particularly when away working with people with similarly interesting names, and you're not bombarded with myriad questions about it being so very strange. Small towns can be ever so frustrating.
-
I ended up forfeiting a marriage proposal because I didn't like the guy's last name. It might sound shallow, but it's important to me. One of my best friends that I have loved since college actually came up here, and he flew me down to Hawaii to visit him last year. While he was here, I made the mistake of "casually" asking, "So, have you ever thought about changing your last name?" because it's relatively unusual and would be prime fodder for evil schoolkids to make fun of. I KNOW, I'm shallow. But I was just not willing to live with a name that I could not pronounce with a straight face and a name that would make my kids ridiculed.
IMMEDIATELY he gave me this bad look and launched into this diatribe about how proud he is of his family and that he would never consider changing it. Yikes, dude, didn't realize I was hitting a nerve. Apparently he also thinks it's emasculating if a woman keeps her last name. Good thing I didn't tell him what I thought of that.
-
Call me old-fashioned, but I would not marry a woman who would not take my last name.
-
one time, I saw a really old gravestone with "Vacancy" on it. I have always wondered if some colonial-era guy thought that was a reallly good joke.
and then I remember that they probably didn't use that word, Hotels not being around and all.
part of me thinks it would be nice to have a lady who had the same last name as me due to marriage.
but, you know, I also think it would be cool for me to take her name. Esp. if she had a cool one, you know.
so I guess I am only masculine enough to express a tiny desire.
-
I am waiting for a girl with the same last name as me.
Edit: No one in my family.
-
All four of my names are Scottish, fun fact: no one in my family lived in scotland for at least the last five generations.
-
I'd like to revert to the French spelling of my surname, but I think people would be thrown off by the circonflexe.
-
part of me thinks it would be nice to have a lady who had the same last name as me due to marriage.
but, you know, I also think it would be cool for me to take her name. Esp. if she had a cool one, you know.
I get the feeling my friend, who has a boring Irish name (and too many boring catholic first names) isn't going to take his fiance's Ukrainian surname. I so totally would if I were him. Which, if it doesn't show, means I have never expected any woman to take my surname if we married. Probably stems mostly frmo not wanting to inflict my old boring surname on anyone.
I'd like to revert to the French spelling of my surname, but I think people would be thrown off by the circonflexe.
That's the one thing I missed out on, was picking a name with special characters. Therefor I have it written in Cyrilic, at least for my MSN nick. That is - Слінк. Or Crink as they then tend to call me.
-
I've been tossing around various different name combinations I'd like to change it to when I get some random free money for years.
The closest I've come to something I could settle on is "Lucas Octavius" which is both sort of cool sounding and horribly geeky. It's the last name that's tripping me up.
-
That's the one thing I missed out on, was picking a name with special characters. Therefor I have it written in Cyrilic, at least for my MSN nick. That is - Слінк. Or Crink as they then tend to call me.
Are you a Russian speaker, good sir Slink?
-
I've been tossing around various different name combinations I'd like to change it to when I get some random free money for years.
The closest I've come to something I could settle on is "Lucas Octavius" which is both sort of cool sounding and horribly geeky. It's the last name that's tripping me up.
If your planned middle name is Otto that would be a Very Sad Thing.
One of my friends changed her last name to Dzieciolowski when she turned 18 (her family had Americanized it earlier). But the when she got married at 28 took her husband's name. Which just seems pointless to me. But apparently his family is insanely catholic and is kind of making her jump through some hoops. Like they had to pretend that they hadn't been fuck*ng for 5 years and she had to go to some classes and shit.
-
Damn right
Camerons rule.
"Cameron" was the name of choice if one of the little del Vacas was a boy. We momentarily toyed with "Camryn" for the littlest, once we knew we were having another girl, but decided against it.
It's a fact: Guys named Carl are cool. Guys named Karl are dicks. This is ALWAYS true.
-
OK, that's several votes for a split which overcomes my aversion to meddle in the affairs of the posters.
Find the alternate topic, which splits off posts with religious content, here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2946.msg70063.html#msg70063)
-
um, to go way way back...
Hobot-- I am trying soo hard to pronounce "bot" with a circumflexe, and it is not working.
Nor did it really work with your for-real last name. Hm.
I will ignore all the delicate subject matter of this thread and address the issue above!
Circonflexes aren't really pronounced in the first place. They represent the removal of an "s" after the letter with a circonflexe over it from the old French. For instance: the modern French word, l'hopital, used to be l'hospital. Also, the rest of my surname, when changed to the original French, is spelled differently.
(I will add the accent when I get home and away from this accursed PC.)
EDIT: Moved this from the religion content thread back here where it belongs.
-
hm.
The fact that I spelled it wrong when I looked it up probably had something to do with it.
Sorry about that. Now I get it, mostly.
-
hm.
The fact that I spelled it wrong when I looked it up probably had something to do with it.
Sorry about that. Now I get it, mostly.
Further Education (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Orthography).
-
yes, once I looked it up spelled correctly, that is what I found.
thanks, though.
-
Call me old-fashioned, but I would not marry a woman who would not take my last name.
Lemme ask, belatedly: does this change if there's a reason for it? I've been pondering this because, as I prepare to get my Ph.D., I've been told that women in scientific and academic careers more or less can't change their names once they've been published under the old one, since it'll muck up your CV and seriously erode your academic reputation.
(Guilty confession: I love my last name and am secretly grateful that I will have an ironclad excuse now to keep it when/if I get married.)
-
just my 1/10th of a cent-- my mom's name is not the same as the name the rest of us have, and so everyone asks awkwardly if my parents are divorced.
also: she is constantly enraged about people getting her name wrong.
I dont know. if it meant that much to the lady, I would take her name. That seems cool.
And, I repeated myself.
myself.
myself.
myself myself myself ...
-
Me and my main lady have been together for a few years now and so we've talked about this sort of stuff in a semi-serious manner and I was suprised to find that if we got married she wanted to take my name. Weirdly enough I was kind of disappointed. Neither of our names are anything special, maybe it was just basic fear of commitment that someone else taking my name would symbolise.
Then again I've only known one person that I can think of who kept their own name and she was a self-righteous asshole so maybe it's for the best.
-
A friend of mine's husband desperately did not want her to take his name. It was an act that was incompatible with his left-wing politics. But she'd been wanting to get rid of her last name for years so she did it anyway.
I am surprised Doc that you know only ONE woman who kept her name? I think half or more of the women I can think of kept their names. I wonder if (going back to V's point) this is partly because I know so many academics? Or has keeping your name fallen out of fashion with you Kids Today?
-
Y'all just reminded me to finally fill out the paperwork. Tomorrow, after hitting up a notary public, I'll be filing my petition to change my name with the Fulton County Court. I will be taking my husband's last name, but keeping my maiden name as a second middle name. Then I will be S.L.C. Malec, and maybe people will think I'm British.
I'm doing this largely for convenience's sake, because I think hyphenated names are silly and I want to have the same name as my kids. I've been avoiding changing it because it's an enormous headache - dealing with the DMV and the social security administration will be the least of my concerns, I'm afraid. Luckily I have a month before the petition goes through to figure out who all I'll have to notify.
Yikes! I'm gonna be a Real Married Lady! How scary is that!
-
Yikes! I'm gonna be a Real Married Lady! How scary is that!
Not all that scary... 20 bucks and a courtroom can do that... take it from me.
It's more expensive on the backend with the divorce and all.
(I am not that jaded.. best of luck to you!)
-
good luck becoming a married lady! fo' real!
I had my own moment of Grown Up Scariness today. I was checking out a small child who was buying herself candy, and her mumma said "give the man your money, now. *in that giving-command-to-kid-sweetly voice*"
I wanted to say "no! I'm just a kid! I am not a man!"
-
A friend of mine's husband desperately did not want her to take his name. It was an act that was incompatible with his left-wing politics. But she'd been wanting to get rid of her last name for years so she did it anyway.
I am surprised Doc that you know only ONE woman who kept her name? I think half or more of the women I can think of kept their names. I wonder if (going back to V's point) this is partly because I know so many academics? Or has keeping your name fallen out of fashion with you Kids Today?
Only one of the female doctors I work with changed her name, and she went the maiden-name-as-middle route. And we tend to work with the top-top doctors that have like hundreds of published papers so I'd say this is pretty accurate.
-
Lemme ask, belatedly: does this change if there's a reason for it?
I'm not going to marry you, V. It's just not going to happen.
-
I'm not going to marry you, V. It's just not going to happen.
I always knew you were a cruel bastard, to play a girl's heart thus! And after all the months of co-administration, you won't even make an honest woman of me?!
-
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
-
Mrs. del Vaca is not actually Mrs. del Vaca--she kept her last name. Perhaps I should refer to here as Mrs. del Pollo or something.
-
She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?
So Mrs. Mayor?
-
She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?
So Mrs. Mayor?
What he's trying to say is that she did not buy the cow.
-
I don't go by my first name (Robert). My dad is Bob and my grandfather was Bob, and I am another potential Bob but instead I go by my middle name, which is a derivative of my mother's maiden name.
The mother's maiden name thing might be Southern (I'm from Kentucky, allz) but I was christened as such because she's the oldest of six sisters with zero brothers to pass down the last name, so I got it as a middle name.
The only people who call me Robert, now that I'm out of school and don't have to explain myself at the start of each new term, are telephone marketers.
-
(I'm from Kentucky, allz)
Really? What part?
-
She's still The Mayor's wife, though, right?
So Mrs. Mayor?
The First Lady of Banana Town.
-
Really? What part?
Born in Henderson, briefly raised in Owensboro, then the family bolted for Ohio. My grandparents still live in Owensboro. I think we've been over this before in other threads about Owensboro or barbeque or something.
-
Born in Henderson, briefly raised in Owensboro, then the family bolted for Ohio. My grandparents still live in Owensboro. I think we've been over this before in other threads about Owensboro or barbeque or something.
Stupid memory loss!
-
Wombat: I think it's more a case that I don't know that many people who are married. I know plenty of people who plan on keeping their names but they are not actually married yet and so don't count. Actually now I think of it my cousin did to and she is basically the coolest person I know so maybe I was too quick to speak earlier. Just this one woman... she left her mark on me. Scary Lady.
-
My wife kept her last name, all the kids have my last name. Aside from occasionally being called Mr Johnson there have been no repercussions of this decision.
We were both divorced though - I wonder if there is a higher number of women who just keep the maiden name after changing it once already and changing it back - given the number of people who go through divorce, this could drive the statistic a little.