Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Poll

Choose:

Yes
- 17 (58.6%)
No
- 6 (20.7%)
Indifferent
- 6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like your first name?  (Read 17748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Do you like your first name?
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:05:27 am »

Now is the moment of truth.  Do not choose carelessly, plzz.

There is no turning back on this inward journey.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:18:48 am »

Damn right
Camerons rule.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 11:42:16 am »

I feel I have the wrong mindset being the only 'No' so far.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 01:08:10 pm »

I was indirectly (in that my parents just liked the name rather than deliberately naming me in her honour) named after Julia Child, who just so happens to be one of Smith's more famous alums.  Coincidence!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 03:56:17 pm »

Gender-neutral names aren't all that fun. Also, a lot of non-native English speakers cannot pronounce it at all when it's written down.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 04:53:39 pm »

I have always wanted to change my name, mostly because it is so generic sounding.

There's like a milion other me's out there. 
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 05:11:10 pm »

I have always wanted to change my name, mostly because it is so generic sounding.

There's like a milion other me's out there. 

-obligatory 'Oh Dear God No!'-
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:15:23 pm »

Gender-neutral names aren't all that fun.

There are girls with your first name?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 05:38:32 pm »

There are girls with your first name?

Oh yeah. While there are more famous male Kyle's I personally know more female Kyle's. When I was in elementary/middle school one of Barker's Beauties was a Kyle. Although Kylie is becoming more popular for girls that didn't help me much growing up.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »

Indeed, I see here that in the 1980's, 2,416 girl Kyles were born. I find this appalling.  There are plenty of perfectly good names for girls, what is the point of this thievery?

Interestingly it drops out of the top 1000 names for girls (so is not recorded in these statistics) in the 1990s and 2000s, but I guess that doesn't do you any good.

Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less.  It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 06:17:05 pm »

Speaking of naming fashions, virtually no one born after the 60s has my first name, which has made me like it even less.  It is an instant marker that I am Old, like if I were named Mabel or Mildred or something like that.

I thought your name was very popular. Hmm, shows what I know.  I suppose you wish you were named Ashley...  For me there will only ever be one Wombat.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 06:29:50 pm »

I thought your name was very popular.

That's because you're my age.  You probably had three girls with my name in your kindergarten class like I did.  Now they all named Ashley instead.  Or Madison.

If I had changed my name, I wanted to be Alison. Go figure. But changing your name seemed like a pretentious fuss that would be worse than just putting up with not liking my name.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 06:35:42 pm »

man, I rock the old-school names hardcore.

as a joke, I gave a girl I know a baby-names book with all the ones I like circled. so I have a pretty good grip on which names I like. Mostly Biblical ones, for some reason.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 06:43:26 pm »

Mostly Biblical ones, for some reason.

Bathsheba?  Jezebel?

Actually it seems that a majority of the popular names have a Biblical connection, although a lot of them are so common now that you don't think of it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Do you like your first name?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 06:43:46 pm »

Biblical names are often pretty awesome*, but I had to be lumbered with the most boring one possible. No, it is not Judy.




*Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel,
With Simeon and Levi the next in line
Naphtali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
Zebulon and Gad took the total to nine,
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one
Jacob, Jacob and sons,
Joseph - Jacob's favourite son.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up