The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on July 04, 2006, 10:28:28 am

Title: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Drygioni on July 04, 2006, 10:28:28 am
Phillipe's party is perfect: lots of food, sprinklers, sunbathing, many many people, and a host who doesn't mind cleaning the whole dang mess up. He also taps into the common knowledge that only kids know how to make a REAL party. People like to do kid things.

The great thing about the blogs is how they're almost like a strip, but you imagine the events happening yourself, and right now I am imagining Ray's expression when he finds out everyone went to Phillipe's.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Hobot on July 04, 2006, 01:05:17 pm
Am I the only one who, as a child, just hated running around in sprinklers on the lawn?  I could never get over the icky feeling of blades of grass being stuck to my feet and legs.  Eeurgh.

Poor Ray.  He tried to use the power of Google to discover why his party sucked.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: misterqueue on July 04, 2006, 01:32:18 pm
Am I the only one who, as a child, just hated running around in sprinklers on the lawn?  I could never get over the icky feeling of blades of grass being stuck to my feet and legs.  Eeurgh.

No, you weren't the only one.  However, not having anyone nearby with a pool and having no a/c we didn't have too much of a choice for "cooling off" on a hot summer day, so I participated by default.

"The two greatest words in the English language. DE FAULT DE FAULT!!"

Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: jough on July 04, 2006, 02:26:50 pm
D-FENS!
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: theinevitable on July 04, 2006, 05:14:40 pm
man. I straight-up hated it. But mostly because I hate anything that is cold being on my body.

it has something to do with my extremely low level of body-fat.

also the grass thing sucks.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: nDed on July 05, 2006, 04:57:36 am
Yeah, never was much for bathing outdoors. I do, however, have fond memories of playing at the rock quarry depository when I was a kid. I don't mind grassy-toes much though, probably because I spend a lot of time barefoot anyways.

I wonder why nobody showed up at Ray's party.

God bless the working stiff!
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: melack on July 05, 2006, 06:31:02 pm
I never ran through the sprinklers too much as a kid. Growing up around Seattle, summer was our chance to get away from the constant drizzling of water from above. Why do it during the only three or four months out of the year when the sky is clear? Summer is for beaches and pools, complete submersion.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Drygioni on July 05, 2006, 07:01:59 pm
The great thing about the blogs is how they're almost like a strip, but you imagine the events happening yourself...
DING DING DING DING DING

I think that's bad 'DING DING DING DING'.

Apart from the lameness (lamity?) of my sentence, did I break any rules here? I'm kind of scared.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2006, 07:05:12 pm
I think that was "WE HAVE A WINNER!"
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: jough on July 05, 2006, 07:08:20 pm
Yeah, the DINGS are FOR THE WIN.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Drygioni on July 05, 2006, 07:22:36 pm
Whew! In that case, thank you Mr Dan. You must understand that at this age there is one thing I crave beyond everything else*: Acceptance. And I do not watch sports which have a ding. Hence my crazy reaction.

*Almost everything else.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2006, 08:08:31 pm
I do not watch sports which have a ding. Hence my crazy reaction.

I believe the Ding as an indicator of correctness comes from game shows.

~Paul
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on July 19, 2006, 10:42:31 pm
Philippe clearly didn't test his hypothesis. I got to page 34 with Safe Search turned off and did not see one hot girl-on-bible photo.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: ananke on July 19, 2006, 11:25:12 pm
Am I the only one who, when reading Ray's blog, feels the awful sensation of knowing they will never be nearly as cool as an imaginary cat?
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: oball on July 20, 2006, 07:48:40 am
So, I see Onstad GOT. THE. BIGGEST. SWISS ARMY KNIFE.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: stringph on July 20, 2006, 11:13:26 am

If you search Google Images for 'tacito' you will find a lot of pictures of the Roman historian Tacitus. In Spanish.

Remarkably there are also a few lady butts, but none of them are uncovered.

Does Philippe know about SafeSearch? Does Onstad?
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Mite on July 20, 2006, 11:22:46 am
Who hasn't lusted after that knife? I was a big scouting/outdoor type kid, and I fell in love with that the first time I saw it. I mean, that's a knife you could remove an appendix with.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: misterqueue on July 20, 2006, 11:43:15 am
I think Philippe is missing the point.  What google is trying to tell you is that you should be looking at lady butts instead of pictures of food.  This just seems like common sense to me.

Not this one though. (http://www.shakespeares-sonnets.com/Images/Butts01.JPG)
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2006, 12:24:29 pm
What is it with the butts, people?
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2006, 12:55:15 pm
Sweet merciful crap that is a huge knife. Even my bottom-of-the-line free Nokia phone was smaller than that. How do you even get to/use the tools in the middle? Did he buy a Swiss Army messenger bag to carry it around in?
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: misterqueue on July 20, 2006, 12:57:08 pm
What is it with the butts, people?

Uh.. do you really want an answer to that? 

20 bucks says you don't.  Serious.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2006, 02:27:07 pm
I have a chain saw that is smaller than that knife.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: revdj on July 20, 2006, 02:52:37 pm
Philippe HYPERLINKED Google.com!  Thank you, little guy!
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Hobot on July 20, 2006, 04:39:59 pm
Ray's mention of the "big Beach Boys reunion tour in the sky" reminds me of something that a kid had written on the board in my senior year of high school.  It was the day that ODB died, and I was in my AP French classroom, at my snooty prep school (well, technically at the "brother school" to my school, since the schools were single-sex, but you could take classes at the other school beginning in high school).  There were usually elaborate drawings or nigh-undecipherable phrases scrawled on the board, and that day was no different.  What made it special, however, was that someone in a previous class had written something along the lines of "RIP ODB.  He's gone to collect that big welfare check in the sky."

Awesome.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: pmcd9 on July 20, 2006, 05:51:03 pm
(http://www.swissknifeshop.com/images/P53504D.JPG)
Worthy or mention.


Quote from: Philippe
It's silly how crazy this world is for lady butts.

Our boy learned something important today.

~Paul
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2006, 06:20:42 pm
Onstad needs to get himself a Leatherman tool (http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/wave-(2004)/default.asp).  The various tools are large and sturdy enough so as to be actually usable.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2006, 06:40:11 pm
Onstad needs to get himself a Leatherman tool (http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/wave-(2004)/default.asp).  The various tools are large and sturdy enough so as to be actually usable.

I got my Leatherman SideClip when I was first heading to college and am almost never without it. They knife has gotten crazy dull, though. I should probably replace it but they don't make the SC any more.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 20, 2006, 10:10:23 pm
I got my Leatherman SideClip when I was first heading to college and am almost never without it. They knife has gotten crazy dull, though. I should probably replace it but they don't make the SC any more.

Hey Cort! Did you know that you can sharpen those now! It's 2006, baby, get with the times!
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2006, 10:22:42 pm
Hey Cort! Did you know that you can sharpen those now! It's 2006, baby, get with the times!

Well there's other issues with an 8 year-old tool that lives in my pocket*. Several of the hinges are getting loose and my mom bent up the wire cutters when she borrowed it. So I think I might as well just get a new one.


*shut up, Q
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: misterqueue on July 21, 2006, 12:09:02 am
Well there's other issues with an 8 year-old tool that lives in my pocket*. Several of the hinges are getting loose and my mom bent up the wire cutters when she borrowed it. So I think I might as well just get a new one.


*shut up, Q

Oooh! I-

Oh... well then.   Nevermind.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: evan on July 21, 2006, 09:04:42 am
If the wire cutters are truly bent up, you can just send it back to the leatherman company and they will fix it, no questions asked, no receipt necessary.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: ndpatel on July 23, 2006, 06:48:00 am
onstad drinks weird soda (http://store.drsoda.com/handiettanli.html).

just thought everyone should know.
Title: Ray's Eulogy
Post by: MrCB on July 25, 2006, 08:53:42 am
http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/07/leos-service.html (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/07/leos-service.html)

Coming from Ray, that's stone cold emotional. I feel for the cat and words he doesn't know how to say.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Drygioni on July 25, 2006, 09:13:02 am
Quote
I wish every child across this land had Leo's bold approach; maybe then we would already be done in Iraq.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 12:43:22 pm
I would like to go to Cornelius's pub and have a sandwich and talk to the bartender about what it's like to have hair.  It sounds lovely - just like the messageboard, but with hearty food and ale, you know?  Surely it will be a huge success.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Lister on July 27, 2006, 01:01:32 pm
"Your mouth is like a golden hole" is a compliment that I do not think I will pay to anyone.

Also, Wombat, your current can total is really close to Miami Beach (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=33243&ie=UTF8&ll=25.777943,-80.194016&spn=0.142212,0.31517&om=1).
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 01:09:07 pm
I don't mind eating at P.F. Chang's when I'm at the mall but I am mad at them for making it impossible to recommend my actual favorite chinese place to anybody in the area. Whenever I say "Cheng's" they always try to "correct" me. Well you know what P.F. Chang's? Lettuce wraps are are lame and gross. You heard me.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: arlucasinc on July 27, 2006, 01:10:33 pm
I really want to take up residence at The New Public House.

Yeah. For real.

Man, it sounds like about the best place ever.

What might be a decent replacement for Chiodo's Tavern, the 100 year old bar less than three miles from my house that was closed up two years ago to make room for a Walgreen's. It had an open back porch where you could sit in the summer, and grapes grew all over the porch frame. It used to be the best place ever. But now it's gone.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Hobot on July 27, 2006, 01:12:04 pm
This was one hell of a blog update.  It basically made up for the lack of a strip; the interactions between Cornelius and Ray are just priceless.

"I detest that amateurish, clinical irony."
"Wow.  What?  I mean, never mind."
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: littlefox on July 27, 2006, 01:14:56 pm
Hobot, I was just about to quote that very section of the blog post and commend the SAME ASPECT OMG

::flings tiny cans::
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2006, 01:15:08 pm
"Man, your mouth is like a golden hole."

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 03:44:38 pm

What might be a decent replacement for Chiodo's Tavern, the 100 year old bar less than three miles from my house that was closed up two years ago to make room for a Walgreen's. It had an open back porch where you could sit in the summer, and grapes grew all over the porch frame. It used to be the best place ever. But now it's gone.

Oh god, you need to post this at The Saddest Thing.  If you can find a photograph it would be even better.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: dejavroom on July 27, 2006, 05:58:55 pm
"Cornelius Bear Chrysostom", yeah, I totally dig how that sounds.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 06:21:42 pm
i don't really like PF Chang's, either.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: colmore on July 27, 2006, 07:52:12 pm
I'm on assignment.  I now have 24 hours to drop "Your mouth is like a golden hole." in regular conversation.
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 08:01:33 pm
So yesterday we spoke heavily on diminutives and today we get chocichuelo?  I'm just sayin'....
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2006, 10:15:38 pm
So, I see Onstad GOT. THE. BIGGEST. SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Not any more! Onstad's knife has been one-upped: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/08/25/giant-knife-version-10-from-wenger/
Title: Re: Blogs Return: July '06
Post by: jough on August 25, 2006, 11:27:41 pm
Oh man, you can't ever maximize in this culture: there is always something bigger and better coming along to make the thing you just bought look like a bitch.