The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Mr. Chord on July 12, 2006, 08:23:55 am

Title: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Mr. Chord on July 12, 2006, 08:23:55 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07122006

FINALLY! A strip that isn't an hour of dialogue and witticisms. This may mark a return to classic Achewood.

Understatement and discretion were the mark of classic Achewood. I like the idea that Onstad's been trying to set new goals for himself, with more involved storylines. But it's nice to find a strip that it's in the spirit of what drew me to Achewood.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: nuero on July 12, 2006, 08:50:04 am
Okay, finally, I laughed. Thanks, Onstad.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: melack on July 12, 2006, 09:27:23 am
Have you ever noticed that all of the Achewood characters have the exact same handwriting? Oddly enough, their handwriting is identical to that of Onstad, as seen in the book inscriptions and what have you. I wonder what could possibly be the reason for this.

Trying to put two and two together...

...trying so hard...

...GAH!

I can't do it. This shall forever remain a mystery, lost to the annals of Internet lore.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Noah on July 12, 2006, 09:51:34 am
wow that's a good point melack thanks for that
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Mite on July 12, 2006, 10:11:52 am
Damn! I was just about to start a thread asking for Leonard Cohen album recommendations, as my knowledge of his stuff is embarrassingly limited. Thanks, Onstad!
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 10:19:17 am
Not Famous Blue Raincoat?


Er right, anyway, as to this comic YES.  Very Beef-esque, but I'm also more intrigued that Ray's Gym has a "Guest Day" that Beef goes to use.  I mean.. doesn't he live in the poolhouse?  Isn't he a friend?

This is, of course, Ray we're talking about so it doesn't really surprise me.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Doc on July 12, 2006, 12:19:29 pm
I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 12:25:22 pm
I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.

Oh as did I.  It's just:

"Hey, you know that Wednesday's are Guest Days at my Gym?"
"You own a gym?"
"Well not in its own building."
"You mean the workout room in your actual, real house?  The house whose pool shed I live in?"
"Well.. yeah.."


I mean, it seems so... stuck up?  But knowing it's Ray I imagine him being all magnanimous about it and not knowing any better.  Like a kitten proud of doing something wrong.  "Look at how high I climbed on the drapes!"  Or a person for that matter, "Wow Officer did you see how fast I was going?!"  All smiling so you can't really hold it against him.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: cellardoor on July 12, 2006, 01:15:09 pm
I suspect the guest issue is a finely constructed lie used to keep Pat and his disgusting abs away from Ray's house.

Edit: Molly is the sort of girl that wears a thumb ring.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 01:57:26 pm
I'm guessing that the subject line here was from an earlier incarnation of the alt-text?

Or were you just quoting the lyrics from Suzanne without quoting anything from the strip?

Anyway, this is the worst workout music ever.  However, I will try Suzanne on repeat during my workout today.

I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS WORKS OUT
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: wombat on July 12, 2006, 01:59:51 pm
I am now prepared to defend Molly to the death next time someone calls her a bitch.  Can you imagine living with the guy who would make that tape?  She's a saint, people.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 02:00:31 pm
I am now prepared to defend Molly to the death next time someone calls her a bitch.  Can you imagine living with the guy who would make that tape?  She's a saint, people.


...still a bitch.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: dejavroom on July 12, 2006, 02:31:10 pm
a saintly one?
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 02:37:10 pm
http://www.last.fm/user/jough/
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 02:41:10 pm
http://www.last.fm/user/jough/

You've just lost your rights to bitch about anyone writing fanfic ever again.  I hope you enjoyed this. 

Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 02:42:34 pm
But it was so easy! Just queue up Suzanne in iTunes and then let it repeat!

I wasn't even in the room at the time!
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2006, 03:07:40 pm
Damn! I was just about to start a thread asking for Leonard Cohen album recommendations, as my knowledge of his stuff is embarrassingly limited. Thanks, Onstad!

Mite: Get "The Essential Leonard Cohen" - it is a two disk collection of music as selected by Cohen himself, the first song on it is "Suzanne," it's got "Famous Blue Raincoat," "Sisters of Mercy," "Chelsie Hotel," "Everybody Knows," "Tower of Song," "Closing Time," and "I'm your man" along with a lot of other stuff.

Jough: It actually could be a good work out song, with the constant references to both the woman and the man's"perfect body."

Wombat: I agree.  Only a saint could tolerate such nonsense.

Is the resurgence in Leonard Cohen popularity due to the "I'm Your Man" docu-concert, or Cohen's newest book of poetry?

Anyway, I was actually listening to "Suzanne" on repeat about a month ago for a couple of days.  The idea came to me to use Cohen's music as a sort of soundtrack to my writing over the next little while, but I forgot that that was my plan, and so have been working in silence for days and days.  I must get out some music.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on July 12, 2006, 03:42:02 pm
I actually made a mix CD like that for a friend of mine, only it was Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell" repeated 19 times.

The funny/sad thing is, it took him until the third track to realize something was up.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on July 12, 2006, 03:51:39 pm
The funny/sad thing is, it took him until the third track to realize something was up.

Well.. it *IS* Pantera. I mean you could play 15 of their songs and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: jough on July 12, 2006, 04:22:12 pm
I got through TWO complete plays of Suzanne during my brisk walk and then said "FUCK THIS SHIT" and put on Devo's first album.

I had an uncontrollable urge.
Title: Leonard Cohen
Post by: phaedrus on July 12, 2006, 04:37:44 pm
Yeah, I read that Salon article that mentioned Leonard Cohen a few times yesterday, too.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Mite on July 12, 2006, 04:48:31 pm
Is the resurgence in Leonard Cohen popularity due to the "I'm Your Man" docu-concert, or Cohen's newest book of poetry?

For me it's both. He was on Fresh Air a couple weeks ago talking about his poetry, and that just reminded me that I've always meant to get into him, I just never did.

When I was in high school, I used to get him and Marc Cohen mixed up. Luckily, my ignorance was never outed accidentally. Well, until now, anyway.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2006, 05:10:28 pm
HaHaHaa!  Marc Cohen!  Oh Mite!  You are precious.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: ndpatel on July 12, 2006, 05:26:41 pm
I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.

if you're a member of a fancy gym, every month you get a couple little guest passes to give to your friends so that they can come in and make asses of themselves on what appear to be weight machines designed for aliens in front of terrifyingly beautiful women whose workout clothes cost more than your car.

at least that's what i heard.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: smick on July 12, 2006, 05:57:07 pm
My interest in him comes from "Pump Up The Volume", a film I must have seen 100+ times.

That movie was the focal point of my teen angst.  It's also why I took an interest in radio.   It's also probably why I didn't attempt to make a career out of it like all of my friends.

Later I learned that "Everybody Knows" was written for Don Henley.   Kind of the reverse of me learning that "Downtown Train" was written by Tom Waits.

Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Mr. Chord on July 12, 2006, 07:51:14 pm
I'm guessing that the subject line here was from an earlier incarnation of the alt-text?

Or were you just quoting the lyrics from Suzanne without quoting anything from the strip?

The latter. Change it if you will, but earlier ideas I tossed around were "SIDE B - LEONARD COHEN" and "a Walkman with orange foam headphones," but I decided to go metatextual on everyone's asses with the connection to oranges from the alt text and the song that should be mentally playing by reading this strip.

Just trying to change things up since the strip was so brief. Also, the song seems perfect for Beef.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: side_show on July 12, 2006, 08:51:04 pm
In regard to something that amuses me:  I think, basically, that Leonard Cohen has made a career of letting people know he enjoys sex with the ladies, and struggles with spiritual issues, and as such, has clearly had lots of sex with ladies, and figured out his spiritual issues.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Doc on July 12, 2006, 10:50:22 pm
Man I feel so low class, I learned about Leonard Cohen because of the movie Shrek (I happen to really like the version of Hallelujah on the soundtrack), also I just found out that the concert in that documentary was in australia. There was Nick Cave! I COULD GONE DAMN IT!
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2006, 04:08:04 am
hm. I really need to listen to this Leonard Cohen fellow. A good friend has told me often that I must.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2006, 06:12:30 am
Man I feel so low class, I learned about Leonard Cohen because of the movie Shrek (I happen to really like the version of Hallelujah on the soundtrack)

This reminds me of a question I've had about Hallelujah for a while: what's up with the fact that neither of the covers of it I've heard cover the actual last half of the song and instead use the same set of different verses? Is there some kind of story behind this? I like both last halves, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.
Title: Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
Post by: Mr. Chord on July 13, 2006, 07:18:48 am
This reminds me of a question I've had about Hallelujah for a while: what's up with the fact that neither of the covers of it I've heard cover the actual last half of the song and instead use the same set of different verses? Is there some kind of story behind this? I like both last halves, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'm pretty sure Cohen wrote something like fifteen verses, and recorded different versions himself.