Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006  (Read 6444 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 02:42:34 pm »

But it was so easy! Just queue up Suzanne in iTunes and then let it repeat!

I wasn't even in the room at the time!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 03:07:40 pm »

Damn! I was just about to start a thread asking for Leonard Cohen album recommendations, as my knowledge of his stuff is embarrassingly limited. Thanks, Onstad!

Mite: Get "The Essential Leonard Cohen" - it is a two disk collection of music as selected by Cohen himself, the first song on it is "Suzanne," it's got "Famous Blue Raincoat," "Sisters of Mercy," "Chelsie Hotel," "Everybody Knows," "Tower of Song," "Closing Time," and "I'm your man" along with a lot of other stuff.

Jough: It actually could be a good work out song, with the constant references to both the woman and the man's"perfect body."

Wombat: I agree.  Only a saint could tolerate such nonsense.

Is the resurgence in Leonard Cohen popularity due to the "I'm Your Man" docu-concert, or Cohen's newest book of poetry?

Anyway, I was actually listening to "Suzanne" on repeat about a month ago for a couple of days.  The idea came to me to use Cohen's music as a sort of soundtrack to my writing over the next little while, but I forgot that that was my plan, and so have been working in silence for days and days.  I must get out some music.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 03:42:02 pm »

I actually made a mix CD like that for a friend of mine, only it was Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell" repeated 19 times.

The funny/sad thing is, it took him until the third track to realize something was up.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:39 pm »

The funny/sad thing is, it took him until the third track to realize something was up.

Well.. it *IS* Pantera. I mean you could play 15 of their songs and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 04:22:12 pm »

I got through TWO complete plays of Suzanne during my brisk walk and then said "FUCK THIS SHIT" and put on Devo's first album.

I had an uncontrollable urge.

phaedrus

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 04:37:44 pm »

Yeah, I read that Salon article that mentioned Leonard Cohen a few times yesterday, too.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 04:48:31 pm »

Is the resurgence in Leonard Cohen popularity due to the "I'm Your Man" docu-concert, or Cohen's newest book of poetry?

For me it's both. He was on Fresh Air a couple weeks ago talking about his poetry, and that just reminded me that I've always meant to get into him, I just never did.

When I was in high school, I used to get him and Marc Cohen mixed up. Luckily, my ignorance was never outed accidentally. Well, until now, anyway.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 05:10:28 pm »

HaHaHaa!  Marc Cohen!  Oh Mite!  You are precious.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 05:26:41 pm »

I kind of figured the Gym is actually in Ray's house and having a 'guest day' is just his fancy.

if you're a member of a fancy gym, every month you get a couple little guest passes to give to your friends so that they can come in and make asses of themselves on what appear to be weight machines designed for aliens in front of terrifyingly beautiful women whose workout clothes cost more than your car.

at least that's what i heard.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 05:57:07 pm »

My interest in him comes from "Pump Up The Volume", a film I must have seen 100+ times.

That movie was the focal point of my teen angst.  It's also why I took an interest in radio.   It's also probably why I didn't attempt to make a career out of it like all of my friends.

Later I learned that "Everybody Knows" was written for Don Henley.   Kind of the reverse of me learning that "Downtown Train" was written by Tom Waits.

Logged

Mr. Chord

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • Cheshire smirk
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 07:51:14 pm »

I'm guessing that the subject line here was from an earlier incarnation of the alt-text?

Or were you just quoting the lyrics from Suzanne without quoting anything from the strip?

The latter. Change it if you will, but earlier ideas I tossed around were "SIDE B - LEONARD COHEN" and "a Walkman with orange foam headphones," but I decided to go metatextual on everyone's asses with the connection to oranges from the alt text and the song that should be mentally playing by reading this strip.

Just trying to change things up since the strip was so brief. Also, the song seems perfect for Beef.
Logged
---

I had to get out of there. I took the stairs.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 08:51:04 pm »

In regard to something that amuses me:  I think, basically, that Leonard Cohen has made a career of letting people know he enjoys sex with the ladies, and struggles with spiritual issues, and as such, has clearly had lots of sex with ladies, and figured out his spiritual issues.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 10:50:22 pm »

Man I feel so low class, I learned about Leonard Cohen because of the movie Shrek (I happen to really like the version of Hallelujah on the soundtrack), also I just found out that the concert in that documentary was in australia. There was Nick Cave! I COULD GONE DAMN IT!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 04:08:04 am »

hm. I really need to listen to this Leonard Cohen fellow. A good friend has told me often that I must.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: tea and oranges that come all the way from China - July 12, 2006
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 06:12:30 am »

Man I feel so low class, I learned about Leonard Cohen because of the movie Shrek (I happen to really like the version of Hallelujah on the soundtrack)

This reminds me of a question I've had about Hallelujah for a while: what's up with the fact that neither of the covers of it I've heard cover the actual last half of the song and instead use the same set of different verses? Is there some kind of story behind this? I like both last halves, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up