The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: ananke on July 13, 2006, 05:29:13 am

Title: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: ananke on July 13, 2006, 05:29:13 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07132006

Oh, this is a fuck*ng classic on so many levels.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: misterqueue on July 13, 2006, 05:47:12 am
OH GOD BEEF I LOVE YOU HAVE MY RETARDED INTERNET BABY!

Seriously... I can't say anything else about this.  It is perfect.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: oball on July 13, 2006, 05:50:39 am
Ray has the most perfect pissed-off parent "I can't take you anywhere" look in the last panel.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: misterqueue on July 13, 2006, 05:55:10 am
Okay, other notations as an afterthought:

- Beef is all buttoned to the utmost whereas Ray lays it back and low open-necked like an alleycat.
- Leo, despite having "Rockin' Thighs" also has a gut?
- Beef's almost hope "Oh man what if this is a thing?" dashed against the rocks by the end.  With Ray around as his "measure up to" and the constant environs he's subjected to thusly, is it any wonder he buries shirts in the backyard?  I mean really.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: V-Adore on July 13, 2006, 06:06:49 am
Beef's mouth totally disappearing with shame is also classic.

Furthermore, I want a tank top with an insect diagram. Well, as long as it was a sufficiently sweet insect. Roaches, probably not, but a praying mantis? Sweet!
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Fooker on July 13, 2006, 07:06:54 am
I see a familiar ponytail.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Mr. Chord on July 13, 2006, 07:20:02 am
This was a very compelling strip, something that's felt rare of late in Achewood. The panels were varied, the art carried the story, the dialogue complimented the whole presentation. Quite good.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Noah on July 13, 2006, 07:33:34 am
yeah i swear you can see showbiz's silhouette/shadow on that weird window thing
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Apemantus on July 13, 2006, 08:23:34 am
So this is the second time (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07072006) in a couple of days that Beef has pissed off Ray by going too far. Could this be the beginning of the end for our dynamic duo? Find out next time on etc etc.

edit: Fixed link coding
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: cellardoor on July 13, 2006, 09:08:04 am
Rockin' thighs dude!
Good observation on this one. I mean, some guys are obviously out of shape but have knotted and taut thighs/forearms.
Is this the result of an unbalanced workout?
All riding an exercise bike whilst chugging down scotch?
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Mite on July 13, 2006, 10:45:36 am
I rarely actually chuckle at a strip. But this one did it.

Maybe he's one of those guys who has the gut that's actually way too much stomach muscle? You know what I'm talking about? Those guys kinda creep me out.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Doc on July 13, 2006, 12:00:17 pm
This isn't quite doing it for me, but there's something there. I do like that he looks to Ray but there is no help there.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: mrdna1 on July 13, 2006, 12:22:39 pm
Rockin' thighs dude!
Good observation on this one. I mean, some guys are obviously out of shape but have knotted and taut thighs/forearms.
Is this the result of an unbalanced workout?
All riding an exercise bike whilst chugging down scotch?

For some reason I get the feeling that Ray's gym has more in common with a country club than, say, Bally's ... there's probably a few weight benches and exercise machines around, maybe a couple tennis courts outside, but it's all negated by the bar, some recliners, and a few flat-panel TVs where most of its members spend their time.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2006, 01:41:04 pm
You know, when a guy reaches a certain age it's not uncommon to be in reasonably good shape yet still retain something of a gut.

I'm just saying...
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: cellardoor on July 13, 2006, 02:17:04 pm
Yeah, the wonder gut.
I guess it just means your "stout" or "a heavy drinker" or something.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Hobot on July 13, 2006, 02:46:54 pm
This strip was like mainlining pure, unadulterated awesome.  Case and in point: "You still considerin' suicide?" followed by the awkward little "ha ha" outside the speech bubble.


PURE, UNADULTERATED AWESOME.


EDITED because I suck.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2006, 02:49:19 pm
I am so scared, because my dad has That Gut. He doesn't really drink ever, and he has an increasingly healthful diet, but his Gut is large. His arms and legs are about average... but he has a Gut.

I do not want to be a skinny man with a Gut.



So, I guess in addition to "your baby is beautiful," it is also unacceptable to say "you have rockin' thighs."
I am noticing a thing lately where I am very bad about knowing what is OK to say to another person.
Which is funny, because normally I'm the person having to tell friends that "dude, your ex-girlfriend was a slut!" and "don't take this the wrong way, but $SO's ass is delicious!" are not things that I want to hear from them.

Q, sorry for stealing that thing you do with the dollar sign. I am pretty sure it is from A Programming Language.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: oball on July 13, 2006, 02:58:52 pm
10 CLS
20 PRINT "WHAT IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER'S NAME?"
30 INPUT N$
40 PRINT N$ ; "'S ASS IS DELICIOUS!"

That's about the extent of my BASIC knowledge.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2006, 03:35:33 pm
just to clarify, only one of those statements was directed at me.

Although the other was, you know, implied. It is easy to tell when your friends think that your girlfriend is a whore.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: misterqueue on July 13, 2006, 03:59:57 pm

Q, sorry for stealing that thing you do with the dollar sign. I am pretty sure it is from A Programming Language.

$ is basically the signal for a variable in several programming languages yes.  I won't get into it here because I will probably be wrong as I hate coding an basically only know C++ from about 8 years ago (which is ancient history in such a realm)

I didn't realize I did this all that often around here.  Oh my!
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: side_show on July 13, 2006, 04:11:24 pm
Oh man, this strip is perfect because basically the opposite thing happened to me today.

I was at the gym this morning, working the weight machines.  My gym is organized so that the machines are sorted buy muscle group, and I was in the "working the arm's area."  There was a guy on the machine I wanted, so rather than just rudely standing there waiting for him, I sat down at the machine next to his (so as to appear to be occupied and not rush the guy), and as soon as I did, I caught sight of his thighs, or more specifically his legs as a whole.  He had basically the skinny-est legs I've ever seen - basically no calf muscle, and at his thigh, just the weirdest, most out of place, outer thigh muscle bulges, with no other surrounding muscular tissue, that seems sort of attached to his otherwise emaciatedly skinny legs.  And I only realized after he left (probably in discomfort) that I was just agog at him, gazing in slack-jawed wonder at his singularly defined thigh muscles, until he got off the machine.

The gym is a mysterious world of etiquette.  I'm always pissed at this one older lady who always towels off the machines before she uses them, but then doesn't towel them off when she's done.  Sooo rude!

Also, as a little side story about the gym:  Several months ago, I was at the gym, running on the elliptical machine as usual, when the machine I was on malfunctioned in a very significant way involving the sudden seizing-up of all the mechanisms on the right leg side of the machine, and total loss of tension on the left leg. It was a violent wrenching while I was on it, and it sort of hurt.  I walked up to the service counter and the two men behind the counter were embroiled in an intense, whispering dispute.  They were both so focused on their argument that they didn't even notice me standing there.  They were arguing over who would follow a certain gym patron into the locker and shower area.  The older guy behind the counter, with much signalling with hands so that I knew exactly to whom they were both referring, was basically instructing the younger guy behind the counter to follow this patron into the locker room and shower "because he is a pervert, a child molester" or something to that effect, and the younger guy was emphatically refusing to do so saying something to the regard that "watching perverts shower" was not part of his job.  The older guy played the seniority card and the younger guy finally submitted that he would follow the pervert into the shower, but that if the pervert so much as touched him or anyone else in the locker room... then they both saw me at the counter and halted their conversation.  I told them about the broken machine and walked away.  

I couldn't help but notice that the "pervert" to which they were referring was a hard-to-miss regular patron about 6'8 and the build of a football play, who I see there almost every time I go to the gym.  I went over to my SO, who I was working out with, and told him what I had just heard, and he looked at the alleged pervert and noted that he was so huge that it would take at least three guys to take him down."  In fact, he's still there years later, and I saw him there yesterday.  In my head I've labelled him "the pedophile football player," and he's just a normal part of the scenery to me now.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: theauthors on July 13, 2006, 04:18:29 pm
This strip was like mainlining pure, unadulterated awesome.  Case and point: "You still considerin' suicide?" followed by the awkward little "ha ha" outside the speech bubble.


PURE, UNADULTERATED AWESOME.
Oh man. well first of all, 'case in point'.. next, they aren't laughing about suicide, rather about how bad the others' game is.. and those aren't awkward 'ha ha's, they're snobby upperclass gymclub ones.

Anyhow, I thought the idea behind this was kind of Cathy-grade ):
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 13, 2006, 04:37:24 pm


Anyhow, I thought the idea behind this was kind of Cathy-grade ):

Stop faking, we all know who you are.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Hobot on July 13, 2006, 05:01:56 pm
Oh man. well first of all, 'case in point'.. next, they aren't laughing about suicide, rather about how bad the others' game is.. and those aren't awkward 'ha ha's, they're snobby upperclass gymclub ones.

Anyhow, I thought the idea behind this was kind of Cathy-grade ):

Well, thanks to you, now I'm considerin' suicide.

Ha ha.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: theauthors on July 13, 2006, 05:07:42 pm
Well, thanks to you, now I'm considerin' suicide.

Ha ha.
awkward!

Stop faking, we all know who you are.
oh bobby!
you know who i am
and i am who you know, that is right
but oh! knowing fellow,
i don't know what you know
so tell me my friend, who am i to your mind?
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: misterqueue on July 13, 2006, 06:40:23 pm
Man bobby.. here I was going to let my thoughts lie idle and secret, but noooo, you had to just blabberjab about it.

Last time I share anything on chan I tells ya.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: rabidambulance on July 13, 2006, 07:20:55 pm
Was this the linguistic debut of "brochicho" or does my memory suck?
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: CortJstr on July 13, 2006, 08:53:55 pm
Was this the linguistic debut of "brochicho" or does my memory suck?

http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=05112004&allnav=1
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: AugustWest on July 13, 2006, 09:03:19 pm
http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=05112004&allnav=1

Ladies and Gentlemen!  The original and finest! 

So good they made a verb of his name!

I give you....

MR.

CORT

JSTR!
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: jough on July 13, 2006, 10:28:53 pm
The one cat asked the other cat if he was considering suicide because the other cat's particular game of golf was so bad that he once joked to the first cat that he was thinking of killing himself just to put himself out of his misery because his game is so bad.

Is it less funny or more funny now that you understand the joke?

YOU MAKE THE CALL
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: theinevitable on July 13, 2006, 10:43:46 pm
this is like yesterday, when two of my friends decided to play golf against each other. And one of them made some comment about "going easy," only to discover that his opponent was very very good.
However, his opponent never figured this out. So he thought the first fellow was still "going easy" on him. he kept saying "come on! I can take it! stop being an asshole!" and giving him redos (mulligans! I know a golf term!) and such.

So the 1st guy ended up winning by 1. What a dick.

but then we met Lewis Black! *swoons*

I want to play Golf against Ray. That seems like it would be a fun experience.

to add: actually, following around those guys while they played yesterday kind of was exactly like this strip.

*I almost crash the cart*
"dude! this isn't that kind of golf course!"
"oh, really? sorry. I thought this was the kind of golf course where you're supposed to crash the carts."
"what the fuck? there aren't golf courses like that!"

I don't think he ever got what I was saying. oh well.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: mrchee on July 13, 2006, 10:59:25 pm
With this strip, Achewood is officially back in the black
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 13, 2006, 11:26:59 pm
Man bobby.. here I was going to let my thoughts lie idle and secret, but noooo, you had to just blabberjab about it.

Last time I share anything on chan I tells ya.

you sure whine a lot for a guy who hasn't developed any secondary sexual characteristics
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: wombat on July 13, 2006, 11:34:28 pm
you sure whine a lot for a guy who hasn't developed any secondary sexual characteristics

Why would that be correlated with a lack of whining?  I'd think the opposite.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: misterqueue on July 14, 2006, 01:21:05 am
you sure whine a lot for a guy who hasn't developed any secondary sexual characteristics

If it's fine with you I think I'll stay away from the Gorillaback for as long as possible thanks.
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2006, 02:59:51 am
Jough: you reminded me there of Joe Mathlete (http://marmadukeexplained.blogspot.com/).
Title: Re: 7-13-06 -- and a man can't wear a tank top with an insect diagram
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2006, 03:45:39 am
Jough: you reminded me there of Joe Mathlete (http://marmadukeexplained.blogspot.com/).

I didn't know Joe had a blog.  I know Joe, he's an awesome guy and his band (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2224.msg46571.html#msg46571) rocks.

~Paul