The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2006, 11:18:56 pm

Title: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2006, 11:18:56 pm
Hey all, i'm going on a road trip next week and for the next few weeks i'll be out and about.  Leaving Sunday or Monday going through Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, then ultimately to Louisville.  Be in Louisville on August 3-5, maybe 6.  Then up to Nebraska for a while.  Will be in Omaha on August 11-12.  Be traveling across Route 6 in Nebraska from August 19-27 stopping at various towns along the way.  Form there, maybe back to Utah briefly then on to something else.  Don't know.  I'd love to meet any of you that live nearby where i'm headed.  PM me if you think this sounds like Fun!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: smick on July 26, 2006, 11:27:38 pm
I'll be in Dallas again, 7/31-8/4 if you're driving through the area.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Drygioni on July 26, 2006, 11:28:36 pm
Damn Paul, I got all excited when I saw that heading. After all, what's East of America? England. If you go the right way. Alas, it turns out you're not going very far East at all. Have fun!

Also, <obligatory comment about going East to India>
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 26, 2006, 11:43:21 pm
Too bad I don't know anyone in Kansas City or St. Louis.  That's really a shame.   :P
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Mite on July 26, 2006, 11:44:09 pm
Sadly, you're avoiding the parts of the country I'll be in. I might fly over you, though. I'll be sure to wave.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 12:04:24 am
if you waited until after the 23rd, I would be in St Louis. But, no. So, I won't be there.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 27, 2006, 01:02:08 am
So, Paul, just taking a road trip or do you have maybe a job interview lined up in Louisville?

Or maybe an elaborate Booty Call trip?
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2006, 01:39:51 am
PARTY IN LOUISVILLE!  PAUL'S A COMIN'!!!

Excellent!
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 01:48:50 am
I am so confused. I am still waiting for Paul to describe the part of the trip which is East.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 01:51:27 am
Dawg, no Job Interview, i'm looking West.  Booty Call is doubtful, but you never know.  I'm going to this (http://www.kentuckyartcarweekend.com/kyartcar2.html) and this (http://www.artcarparade.com/CACE.html) and i'm offical photographer for this (http://www.route6nebraska.com/index.asp).  Also, along the way i'm going to stop here (http://www.garden-of-eden-lucas-kansas.com/) and visit my friend Erika (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/PARADE_2005/PAGES/BALL/BALL_4655.htm) who runs the place.  I'm sure Erika (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/ART_CAR_PARADE_2004/PAGES/BALL/BALL_8987.htm) is going to line me out on some other points of interst (http://www.worldslargestthings.com/index.htm) along the way as well.  I may meet up with my Father, who is working in Iowa City at the moment, but is almost done and will be traveling soon.  If it works out right we will both be in Kansas City at the same time and we'll take in a Royals game.

After all that, I may stop off again in Utah and get a couple of days rest before taking off again (for good!).

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 02:07:18 am
Paul, it sounds like you're never leaving the mid-West.  East is, well, EAST.

However, if you do ever head East, I'll show you some interesting points in and around Philly.  We've got a lot of weird going on around here.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 02:12:41 am
Yeah, and you just missed the DC Fringe Festival. It was like a freakin' Paul-a-palooza over here.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 02:29:46 am
Actually I'm relatively certain I could take you for a "good photo" hunt around this place.  IF YOU THINK YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH TO TAKE THE HUMIDITY!!*  Assuming I'm not (yet again) back in Sacramento.  We might work something out.




*Dog knows I'm not most days.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 02:36:03 am
man, we have this local organization called "keep charlotte wierd" which paul would be all over. I think there might actually be an art-car thing involved.
My friends just arrived, but when they leave in a few hours I will find the artcar of charlotte.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 02:55:10 am
man, we have this local organization called "keep charlotte wierd"

So do they spell it wrong on purpose to continue the idea of iconoclasm or is it just a faux pas?
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Hobot on July 27, 2006, 03:19:24 am
Paul, it sounds like you're never leaving the mid-West.  East is, well, EAST.

However, if you do ever head East, I'll show you some interesting points in and around Philly.  We've got a lot of weird going on around here.

The Midwest is lame.  Unless you like silos and endless fields of corn, that is.

I'd offer to show you around Richmond if you came here, but, even though I have lived here all nineteen years of my life, I have yet to learn how to find my way around the city, particularly to points of interest.  I blame growing up in the affluent and sheltered county (not "country") region, outside the city limits, for this.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2006, 03:36:23 am
I will show you the hell around Louisville.  The hell!
Title: Re: Heading East (of Utah)
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 04:05:17 am
Paul, it sounds like you're never leaving the mid-West.  East is, well, EAST.

Whatever, you sound like the ding-a-ling I used to work with who thinks Texas isn't in the south.  To her you see, Texas is in the West.  If you are in Georgia, yeah Texas is to the west, but to the country as a whole Texas is way more in the south than it is in the west.  If anything it's mid south, but no, that's Tennessee isn't it.  I will definitely be east of Utah and that's clearly what I meant.  Why do people cling to these outdated terms anyway?  The far west reaches of the "midwest" is totally in the eastern part of the country.

Sorry to be so bitchy, but c'mon.  Have some dignity.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 04:09:22 am
we have this local organization called "keep charlotte wierd"

Is this something new?  Keep Austin Weird is a slogan that has been around for 20 years or more.  Stealing another towns slogan isn't weird it's creepy.  Should they change it to Keep Chorlotte Creepy?

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 04:11:23 am
I will show you the hell around Louisville.  The hell!

AWESOME!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2006, 04:12:13 am
Uh, I have bumper sticker on my truck: "Keep Louisville Weird". 

Maybe it's not original, but I do appreciate the sentiment.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 04:13:59 am
The Midwest is lame.  Unless you like silos and endless fields of corn, that is.

Weird.. I am looking out my window right now and I see neither of those things.  Yet, somehow, I live in the Midwest.  THAT SHIT IS CRAAAZY!
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 04:16:04 am
Uh, I have bumper sticker on my truck: "Keep Louisville Weird".

Great!  Everybody wants to be weird now.  Really, i'm not joking.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 04:21:19 am
Actually I'm relatively certain I could take you for a "good photo" hunt around this place.  IF YOU THINK YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH TO TAKE THE HUMIDITY!!**Dog knows I'm not most days.

Think about who you are talking to here.  I was born and raised in the briar patch.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 04:23:14 am
Think about who you are talking to here.  I was born and raised in the briar patch.

~Paul

My friend, we have two rivers... this weekend is supposed to hit 100 with a ridiculous amount of water vapor in the air.  The only place I've ever been that was more humid was a Greenhouse in Mississippi during the summer and New Orleans in August; and I've even been to Texas.

I am pretty sure the Tropics got nothin' on this place.  But yes, a good time shall be had nonetheless if I am here.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 05:07:31 am
damn, stop harping on my inability to spell weird correctly.

also: you missed your chance to say "hove some dignity," Paul.

also: apparently it is "Make Charlotte Weird," not Keep Charlotte Weird.

art cars in charlotte apparently amount to 3. two are lame, and one is awesome.

lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/yaya.html), lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/thedotmobile.html), and awesome! (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/theartachoke.html)
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: misterqueue on July 27, 2006, 05:24:43 am
lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/yaya.html), lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/thedotmobile.html), and awesome! (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/theartachoke.html)

What is awesome is that guy's hair.  Serious.


I will stop harping when you start spelling it right you Jack Sampson.... they won't take kindly to that at the WU  (Tang!)
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 27, 2006, 05:43:30 am
Good luck with the move.  You should stop by Boulder,  Colorado.  Not that I live there, it is just a nice place.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 05:55:29 am
I can testify-- Boulder CO is hell of awesome.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 06:33:24 am
art cars in charlotte apparently amount to 3. two are lame, and one is awesome.

lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/yaya.html), lame (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/thedotmobile.html), and awesome! (http://www.makecharlotteweird.com/theartachoke.html)

My friend Sarah (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/193766013/) lives in Durham.  And this dude Robert Seven (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/193649895/) lives in Ashville.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 06:35:46 am
Boulder is indeed awesome.  I had a great night there many years ago, but that might have been a fluke.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 12:49:48 pm
Paul, aren't you from Texas?  Don't you even know where Texas is located?

No matter how southernly located Texas it, it is in no way EVER considered to be part of The South, which is a very specific region of these United States.

Texas is part of the Southwest, along with Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.


Edit: Here: http://usa.usembassy.de/travel-regions.htm

And yes, I am aware of the irony of a German knowing more about U.S. regions than Paul does.

Paul, instead of arguing with people when you're clearly wrong, why not wipe away a little ignorance and cut yourself a big heapin' slice of dignity?

Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 12:59:59 pm
Jough, instead of picking on Paul all the time, why not, um, do something else?
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Lister on July 27, 2006, 01:49:25 pm
This is where I would normally step in and say that Florida (except for maybe parts of the panhandle) is not The South either, even though it is as far south and east as you can get.  I might mention that the Mississippi was once the beginning of The West.

I would talk about how Texas is just too damned big to classify as part of one reigion or the other universally, because of the differences from one side to the other.  I might say that El Paso is clearly Southwest, Houston is clearly South, and Dallas is clearly Full Of Itself.  I might go into how the southeast was influenced mostly by the British and French, and those parts that aren't The South generally have a lot of Spanish influence.

I might even have said that Texas contains areas of Gulf Coast, Piedmont, Great Plains, and Desert Southwest terrain features, and those are just the ones I'm coming up with off the top of my head.  I'd also say that I consider any state laid out with the Township-and-Range system (all those perfectly square counties) to be part of The West.

I'd probably end by saying that Texas is just Texas, and we all know it is full of ranches and cowboys and chili and fajitas and Mother Fuck Now I Have To Make Another Burritos, and not grits and cotton and bourbon and tobacco and peaches.

Also I would mention that western Kentucky is getting a little too cozy with Ohio for our liking.

See, I would say all that, but I'm not going to because I am tired and probably my logic is full of more holes than a funny metaphor.  So I've spared you all.

Instead I will say that Ashville is neat, or at least the mountains around it are.  They are a different sort of mountains from the Rockies, which are also neat but in a different way.  Because they are different.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 02:08:16 pm
Texas is the Lone Star - it's its own place, but whatever it is, it's DEFINITELY NOT PART OF THE SOUTH.

You're right about Florida - if you're in Florida you have to travel north to be in The South.

Florida is like the Mid-Atlantic and New England's little bit of the North but down there.

Jough, instead of picking on Paul all the time, why not, um, do something else?

Well, he keeps posting Cliffy Claven nonsense as fact.  And as you know, Womby, we're all about Education here.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AugustWest on July 27, 2006, 03:47:58 pm

Also I would mention that western Kentucky is getting a little too cozy with Ohio for our liking.


Like hell it is!

Texas:  Eastern Texas = South

Western Texas = West
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 03:55:05 pm
I'm wrong because I think that rules about regions of the country that were written when the country was 1/3 of it's current size are no longer valid.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: smick on July 27, 2006, 04:18:54 pm
I'm with you, Paul.

I see nothing North Western about Northwestern. 

Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 04:24:12 pm
Perhaps we can agree that Paul is heading east, if not heading East?
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Hobot on July 27, 2006, 04:39:31 pm
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map_of_USA_showing_regions.png) is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States#Geography) is also of interest, because it distinguishes between the New and Old South.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 04:59:29 pm
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map_of_USA_showing_regions.png) is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States#Geography) is also of interest, because it distinguishes between the New and Old South.

Screw that, I'm in the mid-atlantic. I'll be dead and buried in the cold cold ground before I admit living in the south (or recognize Missoura).
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Hobot on July 27, 2006, 05:11:54 pm
Screw that, I'm in the mid-atlantic. I'll be dead and buried in the cold cold ground before I admit living in the south (or recognize Missoura).

Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy, so Virginia is pretty dang Southern.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 05:17:42 pm
Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy, so Virginia is pretty dang Southern.

Hey, I live in Northern Virginia. It's only a matter of time before we become our own state. I've never seen a place offer sweet tea. What's a "grit"? And I don't care what Alton says, the word grease doesn't have a Z in it.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 05:21:13 pm
Cort may or may not live in the South a few miles away from me, but no way is Maryland in the South.  Except for this weird thing that up around Baltimore there are stands that sell 'snoballs' (what I as a Northerner would call a snowcone).
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 05:46:15 pm
Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?

Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2006, 05:47:37 pm
Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?



It's the MD-PA border
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2006, 05:50:18 pm
Hey, I live in Northern Virginia. It's only a matter of time before we become our own state.

Hells yeah!  Northern Virginia Statehood now!  See how the rest of you lot like it when we take our tax base and go home.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 27, 2006, 05:57:43 pm
Also, Chicago is HELL of Midwestern and I've never seen a silo or a cornfield there.

In re: Northwestern:
"Northwestern University is a private institution founded in 1851 to serve the Northwest Territory, an area that now includes the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota. In 1853 the founders purchased a 379-acre tract of land on the shore of Lake Michigan 12 miles north of Chicago. They established a campus and developed the land near it, naming the surrounding town Evanston in honor of one of the University's founders, John Evans. After completing its first building in 1855, Northwestern began classes that fall with two faculty members and 10 students."(http://www.northwestern.edu/about/facts/)



The biggest argument I see in this thread is that Paul wants a little more literal interpretation of what is North, South, East, and West without the need to check against historical artifact place names, and culture, while others want to apply those filters to the information.

I think "Southern" is a culture which is why "Southern" states don't include Florida - or Texas, Arizona, New Mexico. All are pretty far south but hardly "Southern".







Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jough on July 27, 2006, 05:57:50 pm
There's already a West Virginia.  We can even split NJ between PA and NY and keep the 50 states.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 27, 2006, 05:58:30 pm
I would say Texas is not the south, the panhandle of Flordia is about the most southern state there is, but the rest of Florida is not in the south, that Oklahoma is as hard to classify as Texas, and that I kind of live in the south and have never seen the word snoball, only snocone or shaved ice.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2006, 06:13:58 pm
Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?



I have never understood who died and left Mason and Dixon boss.  Someone with a snoball stand, I suspect.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2006, 06:21:06 pm
yeah, here in NC it's a "sno(w)cone".

also: apparently in the Deep South they call a soda or pop a "coke." Hmm.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 06:22:51 pm
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map_of_USA_showing_regions.png) is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

Apparently i'm heading south.  That's what happens when you let Tom Delay draw the census map.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 06:23:24 pm
Yeah, it's snow cone in Texas too.  Texas must be in the North.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 27, 2006, 06:30:18 pm
Man, when I was a kid, I would always get coke at restaurants, even though I wanted some other type of soda.  I simply thought you said coke and they would know what you want, I guess (well yea, Coke).  So yes, people do refer to it as coke in like the plains area, at least where I am.  You get friends from out of state and hell of fights errupt over what soda is called:

"Soda sounds gay"
"Coke is a name brand"
"well, I call it pop"

So many lame arguments, so much more time for lame arguments.

In the arguments I had over this trying issue, the soda and coke people would always win.  No one ever liked the people that called it pop.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: Drygioni on July 27, 2006, 06:32:43 pm
You lot are terrifying. Why can it not be like this? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/Map.jpg) WHY CAN THIS NOT MAKE SENSE?
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2006, 06:34:19 pm
Why can it not be like this? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Davelestoner/Map.jpg)

It is, just some people won't admit it.

~Paul
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 27, 2006, 06:35:56 pm
Culture, Judy, culture.  Florida is very SE, but doesn't fit into the stereotypes/traditions that the south has.  Etc, etc.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on November 24, 2008, 02:38:39 am
Finally some Validation (http://xkcd.com/503/).
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: jay-ell on November 24, 2008, 04:36:42 am
Damn, I started reading this thread, and I was like, "Mite is back?  And misterqueue?  And...when did Jough move back to Philly?  And...oh, dammit, 2006, why do you taunt me so?" 

Dammit. 

Also, I'm not here. 
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on April 16, 2013, 07:13:11 pm
A disturbing image from 2006 I just happened upon while looking through my archives (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/8656201586/in/photostream/lightbox/)
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: AugustWest on April 16, 2013, 07:58:21 pm
Yikes.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: wombat on April 16, 2013, 08:43:59 pm
OMG.
Title: Re: Heading East
Post by: pmcd9 on April 16, 2013, 09:08:48 pm
I know, right!