Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading East  (Read 16423 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 06:35:46 am »

Boulder is indeed awesome.  I had a great night there many years ago, but that might have been a fluke.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Heading East
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 12:49:48 pm »

Paul, aren't you from Texas?  Don't you even know where Texas is located?

No matter how southernly located Texas it, it is in no way EVER considered to be part of The South, which is a very specific region of these United States.

Texas is part of the Southwest, along with Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.


Edit: Here: http://usa.usembassy.de/travel-regions.htm

And yes, I am aware of the irony of a German knowing more about U.S. regions than Paul does.

Paul, instead of arguing with people when you're clearly wrong, why not wipe away a little ignorance and cut yourself a big heapin' slice of dignity?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 12:59:59 pm »

Jough, instead of picking on Paul all the time, why not, um, do something else?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:25 pm »

This is where I would normally step in and say that Florida (except for maybe parts of the panhandle) is not The South either, even though it is as far south and east as you can get.  I might mention that the Mississippi was once the beginning of The West.

I would talk about how Texas is just too damned big to classify as part of one reigion or the other universally, because of the differences from one side to the other.  I might say that El Paso is clearly Southwest, Houston is clearly South, and Dallas is clearly Full Of Itself.  I might go into how the southeast was influenced mostly by the British and French, and those parts that aren't The South generally have a lot of Spanish influence.

I might even have said that Texas contains areas of Gulf Coast, Piedmont, Great Plains, and Desert Southwest terrain features, and those are just the ones I'm coming up with off the top of my head.  I'd also say that I consider any state laid out with the Township-and-Range system (all those perfectly square counties) to be part of The West.

I'd probably end by saying that Texas is just Texas, and we all know it is full of ranches and cowboys and chili and fajitas and Mother Fuck Now I Have To Make Another Burritos, and not grits and cotton and bourbon and tobacco and peaches.

Also I would mention that western Kentucky is getting a little too cozy with Ohio for our liking.

See, I would say all that, but I'm not going to because I am tired and probably my logic is full of more holes than a funny metaphor.  So I've spared you all.

Instead I will say that Ashville is neat, or at least the mountains around it are.  They are a different sort of mountains from the Rockies, which are also neat but in a different way.  Because they are different.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Heading East
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 02:08:16 pm »

Texas is the Lone Star - it's its own place, but whatever it is, it's DEFINITELY NOT PART OF THE SOUTH.

You're right about Florida - if you're in Florida you have to travel north to be in The South.

Florida is like the Mid-Atlantic and New England's little bit of the North but down there.

Jough, instead of picking on Paul all the time, why not, um, do something else?

Well, he keeps posting Cliffy Claven nonsense as fact.  And as you know, Womby, we're all about Education here.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 03:47:58 pm »


Also I would mention that western Kentucky is getting a little too cozy with Ohio for our liking.


Like hell it is!

Texas:  Eastern Texas = South

Western Texas = West
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 03:55:05 pm »

I'm wrong because I think that rules about regions of the country that were written when the country was 1/3 of it's current size are no longer valid.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 04:18:54 pm »

I'm with you, Paul.

I see nothing North Western about Northwestern. 

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 04:24:12 pm »

Perhaps we can agree that Paul is heading east, if not heading East?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Heading East
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 04:39:31 pm »

Here is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

This is also of interest, because it distinguishes between the New and Old South.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 04:59:29 pm »

Here is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

This is also of interest, because it distinguishes between the New and Old South.

Screw that, I'm in the mid-atlantic. I'll be dead and buried in the cold cold ground before I admit living in the south (or recognize Missoura).
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Heading East
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »

Screw that, I'm in the mid-atlantic. I'll be dead and buried in the cold cold ground before I admit living in the south (or recognize Missoura).

Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy, so Virginia is pretty dang Southern.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 05:17:42 pm »

Richmond was the capitol of the Confederacy, so Virginia is pretty dang Southern.

Hey, I live in Northern Virginia. It's only a matter of time before we become our own state. I've never seen a place offer sweet tea. What's a "grit"? And I don't care what Alton says, the word grease doesn't have a Z in it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 05:21:13 pm »

Cort may or may not live in the South a few miles away from me, but no way is Maryland in the South.  Except for this weird thing that up around Baltimore there are stands that sell 'snoballs' (what I as a Northerner would call a snowcone).
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Heading East
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:15 pm »

Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up