The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on August 04, 2006, 05:32:29 am

Title: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Limmo on August 04, 2006, 05:32:29 am
Well (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08042006).  Now that we know it's a curse, that puts a whole different face on things.

I hope we get to actually see Dirt Man Idiot flash us the sunflower.

Ray should know better than to put his martini there.  That is something he should know.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: mrchee on August 04, 2006, 06:13:29 am
I am so displeased that Pat is merely gay instead of just being an asshole misanthropic sociopath

Why does every asshole misanthropic sociopath have to be gay these days?  Why is always self-homophobia?

Why can't you just plain hate people anymore?

I already know what you will say: "That Mrchee guy is gay he is all the way homosexual"
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Drygioni on August 04, 2006, 10:46:23 am
God, Mrchee, stop being so whiny. You gay or something? Fag. You must be all the way homosexual. (I'm sorry. Typing that is like a release. I'm dangerously low on my teenage-sexuality-insults quota, and Mrchee was just asking for it. Fag.)

Once Pat changes from the state of being a dick, will he stay that way? He didn't last time, but the curse seems like it would be harder to reverse.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: stringph on August 04, 2006, 10:51:02 am

What is Ray doing with his right hand in the fifth frame? The Renaissance-style foreshortening, while being an impressive and totally valid artistic technique, is confusing me.

http://www.drawsquad.com/lessons/less1a.html (http://www.drawsquad.com/lessons/less1a.html)

Ray is the character whose body we have seen from the most unusual angles.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 04, 2006, 11:36:54 am
Dude. I ain't gonna say anything, but today's strip has Mexican Magic Filler.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: mrdna1 on August 04, 2006, 12:07:28 pm
I am so displeased that Pat is merely gay instead of just being an asshole misanthropic sociopath
Don't worry, Pat will likely remain a bitter crank if and when he comes out of the closet. Barbers can do bestiality as well.

What is Ray doing with his right hand in the fifth frame? The Renaissance-style foreshortening, while being an impressive and totally valid artistic technique, is confusing me.
It looks like he's throwing back his hand in surprise when the drink falls off the top of his monitor.

Also, I love how Ray's greeting to Simon involves commenting on his watch. I'll have to try that when I'm greeting friends.

"Hey man, nice watch! That Paco Rabanne?"
"Who ... what? I'm not even wearing a watch."
"Oh. So uh, tell me about your gay son."
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 04, 2006, 12:10:11 pm
Don't worry, Pat will likely remain a bitter crank if and when he comes out of the closet. Barbers can do bestiality as well.
It looks like he's throwing back his hand in surprise when the drink falls off the top of his monitor.

Also, I love how Ray's greeting to Simon involves commenting on his watch. I'll have to try that when I'm greeting friends.

"Hey man, nice watch! That Paco Rabanne?"
"Who ... what? I'm not even wearing a watch."
"Oh. So uh, tell me about your gay son."

I also like the fact that he calls Mr. Bear "Connie."
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: wombat on August 04, 2006, 12:45:40 pm

Ray should know better than to put his martini there.  That is something he should know.

In the old days, you could put your martini on your monitor with confidence.  It's this damn newfangled skinny screen technology that's the problem.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Hobot on August 04, 2006, 01:33:51 pm
Simon's finger-quotation-marks gesture in the penultimate panel is a nice touch.

I like that Ray is consulting "Connie" about how to make the new talent, Dirt Man Idiot, unique.  With Cornelius's help, this fellow will surely be the classiest, most old school musical artist the world has ever seen.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Roger on August 04, 2006, 02:22:42 pm
Simon's finger-quotation-marks gesture in the penultimate panel is a nice touch.

I like that Ray is consulting "Connie" about how to make the new talent, Dirt Man Idiot, unique.  With Cornelius's help, this fellow will surely be the classiest, most old school musical artist the world has ever seen.

In the venerable tradition of the "speak-singing" troubadours of 13th century Provence.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 04, 2006, 03:23:47 pm
People, people, people. It is entirely possible that Pat is in the closet AND a complete dick for other reasons.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: jough on August 04, 2006, 04:12:50 pm
The business of Ray spilling his martini, moving the monitor to wipe it up, and then moving it back again really made this strip something other than "dull talking."

Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 04, 2006, 04:25:06 pm
Goddamitt, I'm on the Quentin Quadrilateral train to Tijuana-blowjob-ville.



What the fuck is that supposed to mean? It's not even a cheap shot at me because it's completely apropos of nothing.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 04, 2006, 05:13:42 pm
man, Pat is both a Dick and a dude who loves Dick.

"yeah, he's gay from a Curse. I mean, not that that's a curse! I love gay people! But, I mean, I'm not... I'm not gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: linnea on August 05, 2006, 02:18:25 am
I also like the fact that he calls Mr. Bear "Connie."

At first when I read "Connie" I thought that he was talking to a secretary. I actually used to work with a guy named Corneilius, and his office had a plaquard outside it that read "Connie Smith" or whatever. At first, without having met the person that occupied "Connie"'s office, I thought Connie was a lady, until I was introduced to him and realized that the dude had been christened Cornelius and that Connie was just a nickname. Either one is a tough name for a man to tote around.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Ray's martini (oops... Diamond Juice...my bad) fell off the monitor and so we see his flailing hand trying to stop its fate. I'm surprised that Ray mops up his Ketel One by himself, rather than paying someone to clean it up.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 05, 2006, 10:07:55 am
His computer was in serious times, no time to call the maid.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 06, 2006, 10:06:59 pm
I'm fascinated by the idea that... to be gay is to discard the trappings of residual college-dorm-ism.

It's great as a comedy premise but... my closest gay friend is a complete hippie who after coming out of the closet probably spent MORE money on... hot sauce and posters and Phish albums and hallucinogens than ever before.

And come to think of it, the gay folk I know through my job tend to be the type of gay fellows who are so obsessed with the idea that "just because I like men doesn't mean I can't be manly" that they play up that residual college crap even moreso. Attending football games and watching horror movies and so on.

Is this just a comedy premise or do I know the wrong gay fellows?
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: jough on August 06, 2006, 10:18:50 pm
I think gay people tend toward the fringe segments of culture because the traditional mainstream culture rejects them.  In other words, the gay community tends to skew toward the far left liberal edge because it's a beachhead of acceptance.

You tend to not see many gay Republicans.  I'm not saying they don't exist, but that they're a minority even among a minority.  You'll find some Jewish neo-Nazis too, or black Klansmen, or whatever.  But they're not emblematic of their group.

Part of the problem with mainstream integration of minority culture is that the minority culture tends to separate themselves from any mainstream activity.  There was a psychological study back in the '70s where they asked people of various genders, races, and sexual alignments (I never liked the term "sexual preference" as if someone chose it arbitrarily) and asked them to look in a mirror and tell the researcher what they saw, in the most general sense.

The white males tended to say that they saw "a person" or maybe "a man" whereas people of minority cultures tended to say that they saw "a ______ man" (black, gay, hispanic, Mormon, etc.) or woman.

What were we talking about? Oh, I don't expect the revelation of Pat's sexuality to change much.  I mean, surely he must know he's gay, or even if he doesn't see himself as gay, must've wondered at some point why he was attracted to other male cats.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2006, 10:24:34 pm
I wonder why I'm attracted to male cats all the time. Am I gay?
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: jough on August 06, 2006, 10:34:00 pm
Dan: Yes.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Hobot on August 06, 2006, 11:05:24 pm
(I never liked the term "sexual preference" as if someone chose it arbitrarily)

That's why no one with a sense of tact uses it; that term has gone rather out of fashion.  Last I heard, "sexual orientation" was de rigueur (and I was pretty active in the LGBT stuff back in high school).
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2006, 11:49:12 pm
it always amuses me that high schools that aren't here have "LGBT" and "gay-straight alliance" type groups. I don't think one would survive at my (old) school.

at Wash U, though, I am proud to be a part of the GSA.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Hobot on August 07, 2006, 12:24:50 am
it always amuses me that high schools that aren't here have "LGBT" and "gay-straight alliance" type groups. I don't think one would survive at my (old) school.

at Wash U, though, I am proud to be a part of the GSA.

We basically went to the same high school, except yours happened to be co-ed.  Oh, and my school was religious.  You just have to suck it up and talk to the administration and not give a shit what anyone else thinks.

And a nice tip I picked up from going to a nation-wide LGBT conference a couple years ago: at public schools, if they allow religious groups to meet after school, they are obligated by law to allow any other group, including LGBT groups, to congregate.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 12:57:12 am
the GSA at my school would have had like 4 members. if it had more than that, more than half of the group would be the "straight" half of GSA.

I know for a fact the principal would have been totally into it. But no one would have joined.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Hobot on August 07, 2006, 02:55:28 am
the GSA at my school would have had like 4 members. if it had more than that, more than half of the group would be the "straight" half of GSA.

I know for a fact the principal would have been totally into it. But no one would have joined.

Well, see, that's why it's a Gay/Straight Alliance.  Because you don't have to be gay or bi to be in it.  It's about support.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 02:57:20 am
yeah. I understand that. But it would have seemed pretty futile having a "GSA" that was just a bunch of straight kids. And then 1 quiet gay guy, 1 lesbian, and my ex-girlfriend being all "I fuck girls! ha! I totally get it on with girls and dudes! promiscuously!"
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 07, 2006, 03:01:17 am
(and I was pretty active in the LGBT stuff

Yay!

back in high school).

... Oh.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 03:35:38 am
LGBT sounds like a sandwich.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 12:03:20 pm
LGBT sounds like a sandwich.

If you dig both ladies and fellows, it can be. Comprende?
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2006, 12:20:20 pm
whoa


a-so: judy, your new avatar confuses me.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Hobot on August 07, 2006, 12:34:30 pm
Yay!

... Oh.

Well, see, at Smith, it isn't really necessary.

Unless you were talking about a different kind of "support."
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Roger on August 07, 2006, 12:47:48 pm

a-so: judy, your new avatar confuses me.

Is that Pete Shelley from The Buzzcocks?
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Drygioni on August 07, 2006, 12:51:59 pm
Is that Pete Shelley from The Buzzcocks?

DING DING DING DING DING
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: misterqueue on August 07, 2006, 01:07:27 pm
This thread is getting hell of such as twee.

(http://www.volunteersforwildlife.org/Photogallery/JG%20images/permanent%20education%20barn%20owl%20W750%20Q0.jpg)

The barn owl is watching you very closely.  He's warning you lot that if this gets twee he'll shut it right down.

(Actually this was just an excuse to use a Barn Owl.  My head hurts and it makes me do things like this.  Carry on.)

(Also, cocks.)
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Ben-San on August 07, 2006, 05:20:21 pm
That owl is totally prepared to summon Fire Demons and Valkyries on our asses.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: Roger on August 07, 2006, 08:08:19 pm
That owl is totally prepared to summon Fire Demons and Valkyries on our asses.

AND THEY MADE DARK LOVE AND THUS WERE THEIR SCEPTYRES HIDDEN.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: V-Adore on August 07, 2006, 08:09:32 pm
That barn owl is totally about to show us the meaning of "Ottawa Modified Death." It turns out the death is modified with LASER BEAMS.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: misterqueue on August 07, 2006, 09:06:43 pm
Death Walks on Huge Talons.


<Trials of Honor Logo> (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07192005)
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2006, 11:59:56 pm
That owl terrifies me. I hate it when people try to compare Scottish Folds to owls. Their sweet little kittyfaces look nothing like the blank, terrifying face of the barn owl.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: misterqueue on August 08, 2006, 12:23:25 am
I love that owl.  When I look at him, he is basically how I feel every single second of every goddamned day at work.  I want to put him in my lap and pet him and say "Yeessss!  Eeexcellent!"  and then twirl my mustache*.



* I... I can't even grow a mustache.  I do however have like 5 hairs on my chin now... so you know.. I'm rocking it at like 8th grade levels.
Title: Re: The Story of Gladdington's Castle (8.4.06)
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 08, 2006, 12:48:14 am
Ahem. Owls are great. Have you ever had an owl sit on your roof? It is nifty. To conlude, we find these truths to be self-evident.