The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on August 17, 2006, 01:27:09 pm

Title: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: jough on August 17, 2006, 01:27:09 pm
After people with .com domains, .navy.mil is the SECOND most traffic that we get here at TOUAMB (for whatever reason), so I would like to extend a welcome to our navy guests.  Don't be naval gazers, fellas - sign up and say hello.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 17, 2006, 01:38:27 pm
Heh.  I occasionally come in from a navy.mil IP.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2006, 02:16:51 pm
Huh, I figured my refresh rate alone would have .org in the top spot.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: jough on August 17, 2006, 02:22:35 pm
Cort, it only counts unique visitors.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2006, 02:57:02 pm
Cort, it only counts unique visitors.

I was joking. But that aside, don't Comcast users show up as .net? I would think that with it being the largest cable company and big-ass ISP that it would at least give .net a shot at the #2 spot at a lot of sites.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: jough on August 17, 2006, 03:01:35 pm
I'm just mentioning the total of incoming host names (incidentally, comcast is always .com in host name lookups, as is Verizon) and after .com .navy.mil is next.  Then .org, oddly enough, and then .net.

AOL is pretty low on the list for this site, and the top ISP is rr.com, which is Road Runner, at about 40% of our incoming traffic.

FUN WITH STATS

Also fun with stats is to see which users are adding or deducting karma, and which users seem to be removing cans from many users once per hour.  I'm looking at you, Fooker.

Are we going to have to go back to the arbitrary can distribution system again?

Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2006, 03:20:16 pm
I'm just mentioning the total of incoming host names (incidentally, comcast is always .com in host name lookups, as is Verizon) and after .com .navy.mil is next.  Then .org, oddly enough, and then .net.

I guess what was throwing me was those signature graphics that people have sometimes that tell your browser, ISP, and operating system. They always seem to say "Your ISP is Comcast.net!" when I'm at home. At work I'm all about the .org, baby.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2006, 03:39:18 pm
Helloooo Sailor!

That is odd though...  Maybe the navy is secretly using this message board to distribute coded messages.  "*****" means "attack at dawn."  "hoss" means "we have located Bin Laden."  "#####" means "Georege Double-yuh will arrive at your ship's port next Tuesday." "fuck*ng" means "gay pegging orgy tonight in the mess hall."  All sorts of secret goings on.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: misterqueue on August 17, 2006, 03:48:25 pm
"fuck*ng" means "gay pegging orgy tonight in the mess hall."  All sorts of secret goings on.

*"In the Navy" by the Village People all playing in the background*
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2006, 04:02:19 pm
Here's some photo evidence for you. (http://www.officialvillagepeople.com/Alex%27s%20Photo%20album%20page/pages/025_25.htm)  Notice how they are standing very close to each other, but not touching.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: slink on August 17, 2006, 05:20:37 pm
Here's some photo evidence for you. (http://www.officialvillagepeople.com/Alex%27s%20Photo%20album%20page/pages/025_25.htm)  Notice how they are standing very close to each other, but not touching.

Quite the slightly askew knee pose.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: Ben-San on August 17, 2006, 08:57:14 pm
Also fun with stats is to see which users are adding or deducting karma, and which users seem to be removing cans from many users once per hour.  I'm looking at you, Fooker.

Is that what's happening? I thought that someone had targeted me personally because I was regularly losing cans no matter what I did. It made me sad to think that somebody had a vendetta against me that I did not know about.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: V-Adore on August 17, 2006, 09:56:37 pm
Is that what's happening? I thought that someone had targeted me personally because I was regularly losing cans no matter what I did. It made me sad to think that somebody had a vendetta against me that I did not know about.

See, I would like to think that people have vendettas against me, but I'm forced to conclude that I'm just that unpleasant and that tiny can deductions represent the due shanking that can't take place over the internet. For you, though, it'd have to be a vendetta.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: misterqueue on August 17, 2006, 10:22:24 pm
it'd have to be a vendetta.

Does this mean..  V is for Vendetta?


*runs away very very fast*
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: V-Adore on August 17, 2006, 11:10:48 pm
Does this mean..  V is for Vendetta?


*runs away very very fast*

Dude, you're laughing, but I have been actively accused of having a vendetta against somebody over the Internet. (I did not like her Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanfiction, and I told her so. That, of course, makes me history's worst criminal.)
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 17, 2006, 11:11:12 pm
Also fun with stats is to see which users are adding or deducting karma, and which users seem to be removing cans from many users once per hour.  I
Publish, publish!
See, I would like to think that people have vendettas against me, but I'm forced to conclude that I'm just that unpleasant and that tiny can deductions represent the due shanking that can't take place over the internet. For you, though, it'd have to be a vendetta.
This is the second time I've seen you mention this. I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, you know that the can counts were reset recently, right?
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: V-Adore on August 18, 2006, 02:02:42 am
I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, you know that the can counts were reset recently, right?

Er, yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm just commenting on the fact that, even now, I seem to be constantly losing cans, and I can't tell why aside from "people just really dislike me."
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: misterqueue on August 18, 2006, 02:44:11 am
Everyone out there's been losin' em V... not just you I promise.  I had 30!  (I mean.. jough took like 11 of those but still!)
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 18, 2006, 02:54:23 am
It's an epidemic.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: jough on August 18, 2006, 05:51:43 am
I got email this morning from a member (who may or may not have posted to this thread) who was upset about their can losses, dude.  "What did I do wrong?"

Don't worry about your cans.  Just be a good poster and the good lord will provide.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: Doc on August 18, 2006, 06:07:24 am
I never worried about cans until they got reset and then I was horrified to see I lost all four of my precious little ones in a single day.
I just figured people to exception to me ragging on Paul in the meme thread.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: Ben-San on August 18, 2006, 06:11:25 am
It doesn't bother me now that I know everyone is being randomly decanned on a spree. What bothered me was the idea that someone disliked me personally enough to put a sustained effort into decreasing my can count. If it's someone putting sustained effort into being a general dickweed, well, whatever, he's a dickweed. I didn't do anything wrong.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: wombat on August 18, 2006, 11:55:23 am
I like the randomness 'cause it fucks with the 'system' and keeps us all humble and paranoid.


Aw jeez guys I get enough to keep me humble and paranoid in real life. You don't?
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: CortJstr on August 18, 2006, 12:57:47 pm
Random bum fargery, on the other hand, entertains me. I was wondering if there was a 'secret punishment toll' instituted to seemingly common place actions and the concept really pleased me. I want to see what happens when we are punished in a meaningless manner for no reason we can discern.

Suddenly the whole board turns into a giant game of Mao with only Jough knowing the rules. I so suck at games like that I'd have -25 cans in like an hour.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: misterqueue on August 18, 2006, 01:09:25 pm
Suddenly the whole board turns into a giant game of Mao with only Jough knowing the rules. I so suck at games like that I'd have -25 cans in like an hour.

POINT OF ORDER!
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 18, 2006, 09:47:20 pm
I like the randomness 'cause it fucks with the 'system' and keeps us all humble and paranoid.

If I had a menu option to not display the user karma areas I would check it 'cause I just don't give enough of a shit. I know which posters are non-crap just by reading, I don't need a tittie suck poll to inform me of the favour of the moment. That provides zero entertainment for me.

Random bum fargery, on the other hand, entertains me. I was wondering if there was a 'secret punishment toll' instituted to seemingly common place actions and the concept really pleased me. I want to see what happens when we are punished in a meaningless manner for no reason we can discern.

I bet there would be some classic freakouts.

Or, people would ignore the karma stats.

It's all good.
Oh, this is just a ploy to get precious, precious cans.
Title: Re: Welcome Navy Visitors!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 18, 2006, 11:13:50 pm
Oh, this is just a ploy to get precious, precious cans.
I posted this and then gave Asherdan cans a couple times to make it seem like my goofy statement had merit (and also because I liked his take on the cans). Now I've shown my hand and the loop has doubled back or something.