The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on September 07, 2006, 02:00:35 pm
-
Whoa!
(http://static.flickr.com/88/236839460_7f0ba765d1.jpg)
When has the board had more users online at once?
-
On March 15, 2006, apparently, back in the days of the GOF:
Most Online: 277 - March 15, 2006, 06:47:58 PM
http://touamb.com/index.php?action=stats
-
Yeah, I was looking at those stats recently. I'm pretty confused as to why the GOF drew in all those readers, but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling. I also find those who lurk confusing... join up, say something!
-
Yeah, I was looking at those stats recently. I'm pretty confused as to why the GOF drew in all those readers, but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling. I also find those who lurk confusing... join up, say something!
The record was set the day that GOF traffic crashed Achewood.com (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2638.0.html) so lots of people came here hoping we had another copy of the strip or could tell them where one could be found. And we did (of course).
And hey, a corkscrew 270° front-flip senton (Spiral Tap) is just good television.
-
I've theorised that the guests we are always getting might be bots or some other such program. It's possible Jough created a script which simply spawns automated 'Guests' in the 'Who's Online?' box, who view a randomly chosen thread. It would explain the behaviour of the lurkers; normally one single thread constantly pops up for days before a new one appears. There seems to be no human logic involved, anyway.
Creepy people or clever scripting? Who knows. Either way, the Who's Online? box has led me to some of the best threads ever on this board and furthered my TOUAMB knowledge fairly considerably. Damn good stuff.
-
I often read the board while not logged in. I don't know why i bother to logout, but sometimes I do.
-
I read the Achewood part of this forum for months before I joined, and I read other forums I'm not on, so that many guests is well with in the range of possibility.
-
I've theorised that the guests we are always getting might be bots or some other such program. It's possible Jough created a script which simply spawns automated 'Guests' in the 'Who's Online?' box, who view a randomly chosen thread.
Are you ready for revelation? Jough does make bots. One of them is you. Another one is me.
-
I read the Achewood part of this forum for months before I joined, and I read other forums I'm not on, so that many guests is well with in the range of possibility.
Likewise. When I started reading the non achewood related sections of the forum I decided I was spending enough time here to merit joining up and adding my 2c.. Some of the music boards I'm on have hundreds of lurkers waiting to grab mp3s that are posted up - this is quiet by comparison - though it sounds like things were crazy during the GOF.
-
Are you ready for revelation? Jough does make bots. One of them is you. Another one is me.
Is that why I keep dreaming about that damn unicorn?
-
Is that why I keep dreaming about that damn unicorn?
And the terrible, terrible soundtrack I seem to have.
-
I'll tell you about my mother...
-
...but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling.
It's... big fat guys in superhero costumes, yelling at each other on giant televisions, strutting into the middle of an arena to 5th-rate stadium rock and then... pretending to fight for fifteen minutes, while everyone in the building pretends to believe what they're pretending because it's fun to believe that something so twisted yet primal could maybe be a little bit true.
They pretend to punch each other and then clearly miss by three inches!
They drop each other on their heads, protecting their "opponent" from actual injury with their groins and inner thighs!
They... pretend... to cripple each other... with seven-ounce... aluminum chairs.
...all the while, you know that after the show, they're really good friends and they're gonna get drunk together in some local dive, play some darts and pick up on local women with more NASCAR commemorative plates than teeth. The same six or seven NASCAR-teeth locals they rotate through when they come to town each year.
Then they're going to retreat to a Red Roof Inn, pop some shadily acquired pain killers and hope that they don't wake up the next morning because it's a long soul-crushing bus ride to Rochester where they'll do the whole thing over again. Except maybe they'll screw up the thing with the pre-sawed table by two inches this time and cripple their best friend, pretending to try and kill him.
If you can't see why that is amazingly awesome, either:
a.) You were never a child full of wonder who then grew up to realize that 83% of humanity is horrifically sad to the point of being funny.
or...
b.) You've never had wrestling properly explained before.
Anyway, I've at least covered (b.) for you.
-
Jeebus man, did you write that with a boner?
You can write with it, too? Man, guys get to have all the fun.
-
Wrestling is pretty much the product of the world getting a little less violent. Bear in mind that in times gone by those hunky wrestlers we see on TV today would be fighting to the death in the Colosseum, protected from all manner of nasty spiked objects with naught but a single greave and buffed, carefully shined flesh. The Mike Tyson's of Roman times would fight not with gloves, but with spiked knuckledusters.
We just kinda got soft; the similarities are still there! Wrestling today has much in common with ancient bloodsport. The fickle, fleeting fame and blatant showmanship spring to mind. Just, not so much blood anymore, except in the case of accidents, in which case an on-site medical team ensure no damage is done to the tender, flawless skin of the latest meathead to rise to the top ranks of the WWE.
'Course, society can't go long without terrible, entertaining, real violence being inflicted on the common man. Cue futuristic death arenas.
-
You can write with it, too? Man, guys get to have all the fun.
Did you not read the rest of his post? We can read with them, too!
-
Just, not so much blood anymore, except in the case of accidents, in which case an on-site medical team ensure no damage is done to the tender, flawless skin of the latest meathead to rise to the top ranks of the WWE.
You clearly have never seen a close-up picture of Sabu (http://www.tnapics.com/displayimage.php?album=303&pos=16).
-
Tangenting a wee bit: I've never been into wrestling, not even a little but I do like the idea of the bad guy wrestler and the one thing I always seem to hear when someone else is watching wrestling is the commentators exclaiming 'Why is the ref allowing this?' so my million dollar idea is this: A two ref bad guy tag team wrestling duo. They are two wrestlers dressed as referees and because the refs are on their side they get away with literally anything. Everyone can hate them and not feel bad because they are the refs, it's like hating nazis.
If I thought there was any crossover at all between world cup soccer audience and wrestling audiences I'd say we should use some of the world cup refs since they come pre-hated but that wouldn't really work.
Ok that's my piece, I'm sorry for this terrible post but my mind is desperately craving sleep and I needed something to calm myself down before I set up my HSQC.
-
TNA had one of their refs start dressing up like a world cup ref for a few weeks. The plan was for him to give red and yellow cards but it fell through. Fans didn't like the ref being that much of the in-ring story. Plus fans have been conditioned to "know" that all refs have not just glass jaws, but jaws made from gossamer moonlight. But if the team were refs from another sport it could definitely work as a heel team. Especially if the actual ref in the ring was somebody like Earl Hebner.
-
TNA had one of their refs start dressing my like a world cup ref for a few weeks.
Dressing your what Cort? What the hell are those wrestling bastards doing to you?
-
Dressing your what Cort? What the hell are those wrestling bastards doing to you?
I don't know what they're doing to me. Suicide planchas? Pepsi Plunges? Gringo Killas?!