Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?  (Read 4517 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« on: September 07, 2006, 02:00:35 pm »

Whoa!


When has the board had more users online at once?

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 02:04:44 pm »

On March 15, 2006, apparently, back in the days of the GOF:

Most Online:     277 - March 15, 2006, 06:47:58 PM

http://touamb.com/index.php?action=stats

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:23:49 pm »

Yeah, I was looking at those stats recently.  I'm pretty confused as to why the GOF drew in all those readers, but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling.  I also find those who lurk confusing... join up, say something!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:48:10 pm »

Yeah, I was looking at those stats recently.  I'm pretty confused as to why the GOF drew in all those readers, but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling.  I also find those who lurk confusing... join up, say something!

The record was set the day that GOF traffic crashed Achewood.com so lots of people came here hoping we had another copy of the strip or could tell them where one could be found. And we did (of course).

And hey, a corkscrew 270° front-flip senton (Spiral Tap) is just good television.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:00:03 pm »

I've theorised that the guests we are always getting might be bots or some other such program. It's possible Jough created a script which simply spawns automated 'Guests' in the 'Who's Online?' box, who view a randomly chosen thread. It would explain the behaviour of the lurkers; normally one single thread constantly pops up for days before a new one appears. There seems to be no human logic involved, anyway.

Creepy people or clever scripting? Who knows. Either way, the Who's Online? box has led me to some of the best threads ever on this board and furthered my TOUAMB knowledge fairly considerably. Damn good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:03:57 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:06:30 pm »

I often read the board while not logged in. I don't know why i bother to logout, but sometimes I do.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Pimp_skitters

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 09:17:56 pm »

  I read the Achewood part of this forum for months before I joined, and I read other forums I'm not on, so that many guests is well with in the range of possibility.
Logged
Not often here.
  I'm currently pursuing more face to face interactions from now on, but feel free to PM me.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 04:01:38 am »

I've theorised that the guests we are always getting might be bots or some other such program. It's possible Jough created a script which simply spawns automated 'Guests' in the 'Who's Online?' box, who view a randomly chosen thread.

Are you ready for revelation?  Jough does make bots.  One of them is you.  Another one is me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bn1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 05:01:23 am »

  I read the Achewood part of this forum for months before I joined, and I read other forums I'm not on, so that many guests is well with in the range of possibility.

Likewise.  When I started reading the non achewood related sections of the forum I decided I was spending enough time here to merit joining up and adding my 2c..  Some of the music boards I'm on have hundreds of lurkers waiting to grab mp3s that are posted up - this is quiet by comparison - though it sounds like things were crazy during the GOF.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »

Are you ready for revelation?  Jough does make bots.  One of them is you.  Another one is me.

Is that why I keep dreaming about that damn unicorn? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 12:33:58 am »

Is that why I keep dreaming about that damn unicorn? 

And the terrible, terrible soundtrack I seem to have.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 01:05:50 am »

I'll tell you about my mother...
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 07:24:31 pm »

...but then I'm confused as to audiences for wrestling.

It's... big fat guys in superhero costumes, yelling at each other on giant televisions, strutting into the middle of an arena to 5th-rate stadium rock and then... pretending to fight for fifteen minutes, while everyone in the building pretends to believe what they're pretending because it's fun to believe that something so twisted yet primal could maybe be a little bit true.

They pretend to punch each other and then clearly miss by three inches!

They drop each other on their heads, protecting their "opponent" from actual injury with their groins and inner thighs!

They... pretend... to cripple each other... with seven-ounce... aluminum chairs.

...all the while, you know that after the show, they're really good friends and they're gonna get drunk together in some local dive, play some darts and pick up on local women with more NASCAR commemorative plates than teeth. The same six or seven NASCAR-teeth locals they rotate through when they come to town each year.

Then they're going to retreat to a Red Roof Inn, pop some shadily acquired pain killers and hope that they don't wake up the next morning because it's a long soul-crushing bus ride to Rochester where they'll do the whole thing over again. Except maybe they'll screw up the thing with the pre-sawed table by two inches this time and cripple their best friend, pretending to try and kill him.

If you can't see why that is amazingly awesome, either:

a.) You were never a child full of wonder who then grew up to realize that 83% of humanity is horrifically sad to the point of being funny.

or...

b.) You've never had wrestling properly explained before.

Anyway, I've at least covered (b.) for you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:37:18 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 08:59:04 pm »

Jeebus man, did you write that with a boner?


You can write with it, too?  Man, guys get to have all the fun.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 21 Guests and 23 Users Active on TOUAMB?
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 09:32:13 pm »

Wrestling is pretty much the product of the world getting a little less violent. Bear in mind that in times gone by those hunky wrestlers we see on TV today would be fighting to the death in the Colosseum, protected from all manner of nasty spiked objects with naught but a single greave and buffed, carefully shined flesh. The Mike Tyson's of Roman times would fight not with gloves, but with spiked knuckledusters.

We just kinda got soft; the similarities are still there! Wrestling today has much in common with ancient bloodsport. The fickle, fleeting fame and blatant showmanship spring to mind. Just, not so much blood anymore, except in the case of accidents, in which case an on-site medical team ensure no damage is done to the tender, flawless skin of the latest meathead to rise to the top ranks of the WWE.

'Course, society can't go long without terrible, entertaining, real violence being inflicted on the common man. Cue futuristic death arenas.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up