The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 05:43:53 am

Title: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 05:43:53 am
goodness, I love Phillipe so much. It is because of this fact: I love things that are cute. and things that are purposely over-cute are the best.

"It was his signature drink. He craved the stuff." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09142006)

[fixed link -Cort]
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Pimp_skitters on September 14, 2006, 05:52:19 am
  If Phillipe had included the Opus Dei in the plot he would be a millionare by now.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Doc on September 14, 2006, 10:54:13 am
That has about 37% less deus ex mechina than most thriller novels out there.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: MattFish on September 14, 2006, 11:10:47 am
"I didn't shoot the jewels because I knew where they were"

Sure, we'll descend to fifteen feet. I see no problem with that
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Doc on September 14, 2006, 11:30:35 am
He winked as he craved the fresh glass.

WINK!
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on September 14, 2006, 11:32:08 am
Sometimes Achewood can have strips about dude-pussy, sometimes they can have the cutest strip ever. That's exactly how kids right stories.

"Okay" said the police chief.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: wombat on September 14, 2006, 12:07:51 pm
I have missed Philippe.  Do you think my writing would be better if I stuck my tongue out like that?
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Teldin on September 14, 2006, 12:38:51 pm
I think I speak for everyone when I say that Mr. Bear's expression is the greatest thing about this strip.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: dejavroom on September 14, 2006, 01:12:58 pm
Well, Teldin, you certainly speak for me.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: mrchee on September 14, 2006, 01:55:59 pm
INSERT FUNCTIONAL URL IN YOUR WORTHLESS POST, APE
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2006, 02:01:16 pm
Now I'm wondering, does Philippe not actually know what winking is, or is he one of those genetic freaks that can't actually do it?
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: revdj on September 14, 2006, 02:06:33 pm
Dear lord, this strip was freaking adorable.

I love how he RUNS to the typewriter, and then RUNS away at the end, presumably to do something else that is also fun.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Hobot on September 14, 2006, 02:17:38 pm
Now I'm wondering, does Philippe not actually know what winking is, or is he one of those genetic freaks that can't actually do it?

HEY, I am not a freak.  My left eye is a little more skilled, but when I try to wink it, my right eyebrow raises involuntarily.  It's pretty great.

Wonderful strip, &c.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 03:01:18 pm
I liked the strip just fine but my mind keeps making the not shoot the jewels part of the story dirty.

Well, at least that would explain how he knew where they were.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: V-Adore on September 14, 2006, 03:31:50 pm
Wonderful. This strip is just total Philippe, and it certainly doesn't hurt that this is the way that all kids his age write. (I'm not sure I wrote anything more sophisticated than this before the age of 12.)

Mr. Bear just looks so... concerned. Maybe he also took the "jewels" part wrong?
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 04:20:55 pm
...why did my link not work? I am not sure what is going on.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Drygioni on September 14, 2006, 04:31:00 pm
S'funny, because I just spent the former half of the afternoon helping our kid with his English. Despite having no school aged children of his own, Onstad's pretty much nailed the way little kids write.

Spartan dialogue? Check. Completely illogical deus ex machinas that the kid never even bats an eye at? Check. Flexible supporting characters who let the hero do what the hell he wants? Check. Check, check, check ad nauseum.

Luckily for us, Phillipe had both the benefit of a neat word processer and excellent grammar. If only this could have been true for the young one today, I might have been doing something fun for an hour.

A* strip. Particularly liked the ending of The Case of the Mystery and the author's subsquent dash to find more fun things to do.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2006, 04:42:52 pm
...why did my link not work? I am not sure what is going on.

I think your forgot to paste. Because here's was I saw

Code: [Select]
[url=http://]"It was his signature drink. He craved the stuff."[/url]
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: V-Adore on September 14, 2006, 05:07:45 pm
In retrospect, I think the detail I like the most about this is the "signature drink" lines, which show off something very typical of kid-writing: awareness that genre cliches exist, and desire to use them ("hard-boiled detectives ALWAYS have signature drinks!"), without any understanding of what they actually mean or how to use them. I think I've seen it more in kid attempts at fantasy and sci-fi (where there are always elves and/or spaceships despite the fact that there isn't anything for them to do), but this implementation is perfect.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: dejavroom on September 14, 2006, 05:49:13 pm
Also the concept of a "driving leg" amuses me moderately. "Ow my DRIVING LEG shoot can't DRIVE anymore skidding OW"
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: scrimp on September 14, 2006, 06:06:32 pm
This strip was peaches all over, I'm going to go read it again. EDIT: Done!
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Roger on September 14, 2006, 07:00:04 pm
I think Mr. Bear looks concerned because it's his typewriter Philippe's pounding on.

So many good stuff in this strip, indeed. What about rolling down a plane window to talk to the pilot?
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: robot_god on September 14, 2006, 09:05:27 pm
Q is spinning in his grave.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 09:25:00 pm
Ash, you're the one always threatening to stab people.

Q would be more like "OH THAT TYPERITER IS H0TT I WANT TO FUKK THAT TIPEWRYTER"
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 09:46:28 pm
so, yeah. that was a shitty link. sorry about that.

also: I, personally, was a step above this as a child author. I managed to rip off several other stories with everything I wrote. Which is strange, because I had a hell of overactive imagination (if imagination can be overactive at that age... NOT). The worst thing is, I remember turning in the assignment and being so proud of how clever and original it was.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Doc on September 14, 2006, 10:46:28 pm
I really think Q needs to get back, or withdrawal is turning into something... unpleasant.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2006, 10:49:45 pm
I think he's reading it, and just not posting.

so, we should all talk about him as much as possible.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2006, 11:55:50 pm
He should be back in just a couple of hours.  He stated quite plainly when he reached 2000 post (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3088.msg74379.html#msg74379) that he was taking a hiatus until the time of his one year anniversary, which is tomorrow.  He's been reading the entire time he was gone.  I say we tidy up the place, break out a bottle or two of the good stuff and give him a welcome back party.

~Paul
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: jough on September 14, 2006, 11:56:44 pm
Yeah, he's totally reading this, just slowly jerking off, not coming, and then crying himself to sleep in his hotel room, where he dreams of factory work.

HI Q
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2006, 01:24:53 am
I say we hide behind the door, grab him when him comes in, tie him up with extension cords, pummel him with a sock full of quarters, dunk his head in molasses, roll him in cornmeal and dangle his trussed up carcass from the motel balcony whilst we blast the Bay City Rollers at him.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: linnea on September 15, 2006, 01:29:45 am
Noooo! I cannot access Achewood for some reason. :( Maybe his servers are down for a bit, I'll just try later. Does anyone have the strip saved? This blows. Instant gratification from a FREE webcomic is being thwarted! I want to cry.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2006, 01:56:22 am
yeah, for real. I told my friend to read it, and she said "there isn't a website there!" and I argued with her and told her she must have spelled it wrong.

damn.
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 15, 2006, 02:50:58 pm
FUCK THAT LITTLE fuck*ng SHAVER I WISH THE TYPEWRITER HAD JUMPED UP AND STABBED HIM IN HIS DEFORMED MOUTH FACE AND COMMITTED A HARD CARRIAGE RETURN!

[/Q Mode]

(this is Q in my mind)

He would end his post with, "Also, cocks."
Title: Re: "okay," said the police chief. (9-14-06)
Post by: gearnest on September 16, 2006, 03:58:59 pm
That tongue-sticking-out-while-writing is in the best Charlie Brown tradition.


I have missed Philippe.  Do you think my writing would be better if I stuck my tongue out like that?