The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Mr Trout on September 25, 2006, 03:33:32 am

Title: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: Mr Trout on September 25, 2006, 03:33:32 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09252006

This one made me laugh, really hard. The progression of slightly trashy actions really got me. I really didn't think that the introduction Bensington Butters would lead to anything good, but this has changed my mind.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: theinevitable on September 25, 2006, 04:05:27 am
wow.

that's cool.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: otter on September 25, 2006, 04:32:54 am
Yeah, I can't decide whether the blatant background-recycling is annoying, or hilarious (because it implies that Ray didn't learn his lesson about martinis and monitors not mixing).
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: AugustWest on September 25, 2006, 05:30:41 am
This thread should have been titled "The New Hip Fairy."
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 25, 2006, 05:47:25 am
Is Ray giving his falling cocktail a thumbs down?

Methinks there's a better use for cat-like reflexes in that situation.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: linnea on September 25, 2006, 05:58:50 am
Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I know that 'stad was never into the whole artwork thing...I don't know, I feel like I shouldn't bitch about an awesome comic that I get to read for free almost every day, but I don't like the recycled backgrounds. It is kind of lame. Then again, Onstad can do whatever the hell he wants.

I liked the idea of a private eye that will act as a covert room service agent and read tea leaves on what kinds of meal idosyncracies a dude happens to have. From this simple act of espionage (and hearing yesterday that Butters' mom takes care of his dogs Scooby and Scrappy), we now have another confirmation that Butters is a fella of low origins. No class at all.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: FlipConstantine on September 25, 2006, 06:04:12 am
It wasn't really a critique of the artwork, though it is the same 3 panels we've seen in like, six or seven strips.  I think it's hilarious and very much in character for Ray to give his falling cocktail a thumbs down.  He can't be bothered to catch it, it's gravity's fault for making it fall in the first place.  However, like the real man that he is, he makes sure to wipe up.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 25, 2006, 06:12:16 am
a.) Thread title, spot-on. Heinz is the classy chup.

b.) Have we considered that the reused art may be going into overdrive in this arc... as a reference TO Hanna-Barberra?
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: wombat on September 25, 2006, 12:31:21 pm

I do not get the complaints about recycled art here.  There is all kinds of action going on. Ray is old enough to remember when you used to be able to put your drink, or your plastic frog collection, on top of your monitor, before everyone had these newfangled skinny things.  I feel for him.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: CortJstr on September 25, 2006, 01:14:42 pm
a.) Thread title, spot-on. Heinz is the classy chup.

b.) Have we considered that the reused art may be going into overdrive in this arc... as a reference TO Hanna-Barberra?

I've never heard "chup" before but I was going to make point B. Tomorrow Ray will walk past the same end table like 13 times. We'll also find out that Butters doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom if he thinks nobody else is around.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: V-Adore on September 25, 2006, 05:23:33 pm
This thread subject is exactly right. The damning fact of all of this isn't that "Bensington" eats his filet mignon* with ketchup, or even that he orders filet well done, but that he eats it with Hunt's, the ghettoest of all ketchups. I mean, a guy with that kind of money should be using the fanciest ketchup known to man. Some kind of dijon ketchup!

(To play devil's advocate, using ketchup packets from the drive-thru would have been a bit better. Hey, they do say "Fancy"...)

Anyway, the Hanna-Barbera theory of repeated art is pretty classic, but if it gets borne out, I demand a strip about Ray and Beef solving some groovy mysteries, goddammit.

*I can't type this anymore without wanting it to be "filet minion." Damn you, board!
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: jough on September 25, 2006, 05:41:45 pm
Hunts is ghetto katsup.  Everyone knows this.

I of course use Heinz (for all of my catsup needs, which are pretty much just burgers and for topping meatloaf - also sometimes dipping a grilled cheese if it also has tomatoes in it).

I can't afford the best house, or the best car, but dammit, I can afford the finest ketchup money can buy.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: CortJstr on September 25, 2006, 06:22:26 pm
This thread subject is exactly right. The damning fact of all of this isn't that "Bensington" eats his filet mignon* with ketchup, or even that he orders filet well done, but that he eats it with Hunt's, the ghettoest of all ketchups. I mean, a guy with that kind of money should be using the fanciest ketchup known to man. Some kind of dijon ketchup!

A guy with that kind of money should also eats lots of Kraft Dinner. And pre-wrapped bacon.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: Choop on September 25, 2006, 07:16:02 pm
Can you blame them? Yeah.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 25, 2006, 07:41:15 pm
A tiny can for the dijon ketchup.

Ray's wasting money on this private dick guy.  He should just get Emeril and the Trashspotters on the case - he might not know how Bensington orders his filet, but you can't ignore the treasure trove of testimony that Bensington's rubbish would reveal.

Oh, wait.  I guess Onstad can't bring that up because it would remind people of a story arc from like six months ago but he killed the TS messageboard.  How quickly the novelty of a para-meta-forum wore off.

(Personal aside: Once I ordered a filet "well done" because I thought that and "blackened" were the same thing.  The waiter explained that they'd have to butterfly the steak to cook it to my desired level.  I said that was fine.  Later that year, I turned 12.)
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: robot_god on September 25, 2006, 08:21:47 pm
Spilling your martini is [the] saddest thing.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: AugustWest on September 26, 2006, 03:35:25 am
Personally, I'm fond of Brooks (http://www.catsupbottle.com/brooks/brooks.html).  It's rich and tangy.
Title: Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2006, 05:41:26 am
Hell no!  Hunts is the superior ketchup.

Personally, I'm fond of Brooks (http://www.catsupbottle.com/brooks/brooks.html).

Me too (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/218849109/).  However, i've never tasted it.

~Paul