Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz  (Read 3955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:33:32 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09252006

This one made me laugh, really hard. The progression of slightly trashy actions really got me. I really didn't think that the introduction Bensington Butters would lead to anything good, but this has changed my mind.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:05:27 am »

wow.

that's cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

otter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:32:54 am »

Yeah, I can't decide whether the blatant background-recycling is annoying, or hilarious (because it implies that Ray didn't learn his lesson about martinis and monitors not mixing).
Logged
um

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:30:41 am »

This thread should have been titled "The New Hip Fairy."
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:47:25 am »

Is Ray giving his falling cocktail a thumbs down?

Methinks there's a better use for cat-like reflexes in that situation.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:58:50 am »

Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I know that 'stad was never into the whole artwork thing...I don't know, I feel like I shouldn't bitch about an awesome comic that I get to read for free almost every day, but I don't like the recycled backgrounds. It is kind of lame. Then again, Onstad can do whatever the hell he wants.

I liked the idea of a private eye that will act as a covert room service agent and read tea leaves on what kinds of meal idosyncracies a dude happens to have. From this simple act of espionage (and hearing yesterday that Butters' mom takes care of his dogs Scooby and Scrappy), we now have another confirmation that Butters is a fella of low origins. No class at all.
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 06:04:12 am »

It wasn't really a critique of the artwork, though it is the same 3 panels we've seen in like, six or seven strips.  I think it's hilarious and very much in character for Ray to give his falling cocktail a thumbs down.  He can't be bothered to catch it, it's gravity's fault for making it fall in the first place.  However, like the real man that he is, he makes sure to wipe up.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:12:16 am »

a.) Thread title, spot-on. Heinz is the classy chup.

b.) Have we considered that the reused art may be going into overdrive in this arc... as a reference TO Hanna-Barberra?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:31:21 pm »


I do not get the complaints about recycled art here.  There is all kinds of action going on. Ray is old enough to remember when you used to be able to put your drink, or your plastic frog collection, on top of your monitor, before everyone had these newfangled skinny things.  I feel for him.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 01:14:42 pm »

a.) Thread title, spot-on. Heinz is the classy chup.

b.) Have we considered that the reused art may be going into overdrive in this arc... as a reference TO Hanna-Barberra?

I've never heard "chup" before but I was going to make point B. Tomorrow Ray will walk past the same end table like 13 times. We'll also find out that Butters doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom if he thinks nobody else is around.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 05:23:33 pm »

This thread subject is exactly right. The damning fact of all of this isn't that "Bensington" eats his filet mignon* with ketchup, or even that he orders filet well done, but that he eats it with Hunt's, the ghettoest of all ketchups. I mean, a guy with that kind of money should be using the fanciest ketchup known to man. Some kind of dijon ketchup!

(To play devil's advocate, using ketchup packets from the drive-thru would have been a bit better. Hey, they do say "Fancy"...)

Anyway, the Hanna-Barbera theory of repeated art is pretty classic, but if it gets borne out, I demand a strip about Ray and Beef solving some groovy mysteries, goddammit.

*I can't type this anymore without wanting it to be "filet minion." Damn you, board!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 05:41:45 pm »

Hunts is ghetto katsup.  Everyone knows this.

I of course use Heinz (for all of my catsup needs, which are pretty much just burgers and for topping meatloaf - also sometimes dipping a grilled cheese if it also has tomatoes in it).

I can't afford the best house, or the best car, but dammit, I can afford the finest ketchup money can buy.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 06:22:26 pm »

This thread subject is exactly right. The damning fact of all of this isn't that "Bensington" eats his filet mignon* with ketchup, or even that he orders filet well done, but that he eats it with Hunt's, the ghettoest of all ketchups. I mean, a guy with that kind of money should be using the fanciest ketchup known to man. Some kind of dijon ketchup!

A guy with that kind of money should also eats lots of Kraft Dinner. And pre-wrapped bacon.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 07:16:02 pm »

Can you blame them? Yeah.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 25-Sept-2006 - Hunt's, not even Heinz
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 07:41:15 pm »

A tiny can for the dijon ketchup.

Ray's wasting money on this private dick guy.  He should just get Emeril and the Trashspotters on the case - he might not know how Bensington orders his filet, but you can't ignore the treasure trove of testimony that Bensington's rubbish would reveal.

Oh, wait.  I guess Onstad can't bring that up because it would remind people of a story arc from like six months ago but he killed the TS messageboard.  How quickly the novelty of a para-meta-forum wore off.

(Personal aside: Once I ordered a filet "well done" because I thought that and "blackened" were the same thing.  The waiter explained that they'd have to butterfly the steak to cook it to my desired level.  I said that was fine.  Later that year, I turned 12.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up