The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on October 09, 2006, 05:12:52 pm

Title: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 09, 2006, 05:12:52 pm
Hey kids,

I accepted a position in Chicago today (and then received another job offer an hour later - that figures) and will be moving to Chicagoland next month (if not sooner).

Just keeping you all up to date.  Server admin duties will be falling to my business partner but I'll still be around to post here.

I'm a little nervous about the move but mostly excited about both the job and Chicago.  I expect the job to be awesome and Chicago looks like a great city, what little I've seen of it.  I'm sure I will find it a good home.  It will almost certainly be a step-up from Philly.

Anyway, over the next couple of weeks I'm going to try to hang a little with you east coast folks, so we should plan to set up a right-coast Achefest before the end of the month.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Drygioni on October 09, 2006, 05:14:33 pm
Good luck with the move and all that entails, Jough. Here's hoping life becomes EVEN MORE awesome for you!
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: wombat on October 09, 2006, 07:38:00 pm
Congratulations!

I have just accepted a job where I will be working every weekend, which may interfere with my Achefest participation.  Is it too late to plan something for this coming weekend?  It is my last weekend off before I am supposed to start.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: slink on October 09, 2006, 07:47:44 pm
Congrats, Jough. May the windy city be a hospitable home to you, and this new job be something you can dig.
I don't really know Philly or Chicago, but I know which one I've heard of more, and more about... So good stuff.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 09, 2006, 10:37:36 pm
Yea, good luck, man.  Hope you enjoy the windy city.  I may be moving there at the end of this summer, if I actually decide to graduate.  Hope you have fun, I always love new beginnings.  Chicago may not be the greatest city, but it is probably better than Philly.  At least Chicago is known for more than dumb fans that throw batteries.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: CortJstr on October 09, 2006, 11:47:49 pm
Yea, good luck, man.  Hope you enjoy the windy city.  I may be moving there at the end of this summer, if I actually decide to graduate.  Hope you have fun, I always love new beginnings.  Chicago may not be the greatest city, but it is probably better than Philly.  At least Chicago is known for more than dumb fans that throw batteries.

Hey, Philly fans invented the "sit the fuck down" clap-clap-clapclapclap chant and that has to be worth something.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: robot_god on October 10, 2006, 12:12:11 am
Hey, Philly fans invented the "sit the fuck down" clap-clap-clapclapclap chant and that has to be worth something.

Explicit chanting, I would agrue, was made popular by Philly's ECW Arena, but to say they invented profane chanting is a stretch.  ECW Arena might never even have been named so if it wasn't for Queens, NY and the sounds of "YOU FUCKED UP - YOU FUCKED UP," bellowing from the Elk's Lodge.




SHOW YOUR TITS

SHOW YOUR TITS
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 12:42:50 am
Congratulations and good luck, El Guapo!
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2006, 03:07:13 am
But what does this mean in regard to your relative proximity to India?

Congratulations.

Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 03:28:20 am
I was hoping it would be Montana.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2006, 03:31:03 am
Congrats!  Many happy returns! 

This is even further encouragement to make good on my promise to take Pedro to Chicago someday.  He's never been and we have a dear friend from college who lives there as well.  Now that he has a job with actual, y'know, vacation time we just might be able to swing it. 

How sad is it that you have to move further away to get us to consider visiting you? 
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 03:39:49 am
How sad is it that you have to move further away to get us to consider visiting you? 

Chicago is only about 5 hours away from me.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: linnea on October 10, 2006, 03:41:40 am
That is awesome! Congratulations. Good luck on the move, btw.  I will have to swing by and say hello the next time I'm anywhere remotely close to the Midwest.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 03:44:18 am
it makes perfect sense to me, JL. I mean, it's not like I've spent the last 10 years only a few hours away from you, or anything. *sobs*


...not that we'd ever even internet-talked until now.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Doc on October 10, 2006, 05:06:56 am
Baby don't you wanna go
Back to that same old place
Sweet home chicago

That's all I got.
But Good news man.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 06:11:16 am
Aug: I can raise me some lonely dental floss just about anywhere.

JL: Don't tease me, baby.  You'd better come visit.

Wombie: This weekend may actually be good.

Smells: I may be slightly closer to India.

Everyone else: Thank you.  I am feeling many positive thoughts about this job and this move.  Lots of "new" stuff at once - new job, new place to live, new city, new friends (I'm assuming I'll have to make new friends somehow - how does one go about doing that again?) and etc.  New chapter in the life of a Jough - I try to only do this sort of major life change thing every ten years, so I'll try it again when I'm 40.  The past decade as a bohemian IT contractor / self-employed web designer has certainly been interesting. 
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2006, 06:27:29 am
Jough, whenever I go visit my friends at UChicago, I will let you know. We can... drink sodas. or something.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 06:28:33 am
Yeah, seriously dude.  Give me a ring.  We'll paint the town puce.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 01:07:21 pm
Wait a minute - this is a job where sit at a computer and no one can tell if you are posting on a messageboard, right?
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 01:23:59 pm
I am fairly certain that I will not be posting to any non-work-related message boards (if any) while I am at work.

I like to keep my personal life as separate from my working life as possible.  I don't know how I'm going to go all day without checking my email, though.  Luckily, I found free WiFi access near the building I will be working in, so maybe during lunch I can leave and use the city's WiFi on my PDA to get mail and check the board.

Or otherwise just wait until I get home like I'm sure a number of you people do.

I mean, will YOU be posting from work, Wombie?
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 01:55:33 pm
Nooo!

Of course I post from work. Even though I do not have the kind of job where I can pretend I am working when I am sitting at the computer, for the most part. Come on, everyone uses the work computer for personal stuff.  You've been working at home too long!

I am not sure about the new job.  They have computers and it looks like they have to do computerized daily reports, so sometimes it looks like you are working if you are sitting at the computer...  But anyway, the board is so slow on  the weekend anyway.  It wouldn't be as big a deal as not being able to read the board five days a week. 

Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2006, 01:58:42 pm
I'm afraid to post from work -- my boss is a real dick.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2006, 02:04:42 pm
I'm afraid to post from work -- my boss is a real dick.

http://www.wondermark.com/d/235.html (http://www.wondermark.com/d/235.html)
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2006, 02:46:40 pm
I am fairly certain that I will not be posting to any non-work-related message boards (if any) while I am at work.

Yeah, good luck with that.  I'd say checking this board ranks up there with crack or heroin for it's addictive powers.

It ain't gonna be easy to give it up when there is a loaded syringe sitting inches away from you.

COLD TURKEY!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 10, 2006, 03:13:16 pm
I'm sure somehow I will manage to stay away from all of this when I am working.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2006, 04:06:24 pm
Belatedly: if by any chance you happen to be in Ohio, call me and we shall go consume some booze.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Beatrice on October 12, 2006, 02:56:13 am
i <3 chicago and hoped to be there at the end of the month for halloween weekend as it's become a sort of annual tradition but my social ties are studying abroad this semester.  alas, greyhound does not cater to italy, damn it.  but i wish you all the best and just imagine what it'll be like to finally get around to warm weather again!  after the windy winter you will be almost reborn.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 12, 2006, 04:26:00 am
Thanks.  I will still be in Philly for Halloween (and election day - I am looking forward to voting against Rick Santorum) but will be heading out there for reals in early November.

Now I just have to figure out how to buy a bed over the internet that will be comfortable.  I think I may be able to pick out the mattress I want here and then pick a place in Chicago that will deliver said mattress.  I think that's the plan.

The bed itself is almost immaterial, right?  It's all about the mattress?
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2006, 04:32:58 am
Beatrice?! Wow! How are ya? How's Bozack? Where have you been?

Chicago's a great town, based on the weekend I spent there. If you're up for a culinary experience, go to Moto (http://www.motorestaurant.com/), but I warn you, it's so far out there your perspective changes. Also, pricey. If you feel like bowling (and who doesn't) Southport Lanes (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=%22Southport+Lanes+Hall%22&sll=41.941106,-87.650299&sspn=0.30083,0.539017&ie=UTF8&z=11&om=1&iwloc=A) is awesome, but you'll need a reservation, at least on the weekends. Hint: tips == strikes.

I bought my favorite pair of shoes since my black suede Vans in college in Chicago, but my border collie ate them. Such is life.

After preview: get a thinner, very firm mattress, and the thickest temperfoam pad you can afford. Brad Pitt said it, so it must be true. (Friends of mine did that very thing months ago and swear buy it. I'm convinced, but still trying to buy a house.)
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 12, 2006, 04:36:58 am
The temperfoam pad is like that thing on the infomercials that's certified by the Space Foundation?

Yeah, that looks comfortable as hell, but I think I'm probably going to go cheap at first and then upgrade later.

Also, always good to see you, Bea.  I think I said that earlier (another thread).
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2006, 04:58:27 am
Yes, the temperfoam mattress was somehow invented by nasa and the patent awarded to sweden, or something. I've got a pillow, and it surpasses description. This is so many light years beyond eggshell pads it's not even funny.

As a man of gravity, I appreciate the temperfoam. Supposedly*, a cheap big-box retail mattress plus a think temperfoam pad is less affordable than an expensive big-box retail mattress, which ain't that bad for a mattress to begin with.

* As the kids say, "Ymmv." How's that pronounced?
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 12, 2006, 05:23:07 am
Apparently they're so expensive that you can't even just buy one straight out - you have to fill out a form to have info sent to you, and then contact a sales representative so they can check out your investment porfolio to see if they want to even bother trying to sell you a mattress.

On the plus side, free DVD!

http://tempur.imswebmktg.com/tempur/unique/82836.php?GTSE=GOOG&GTKW=mattress
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2006, 05:31:38 am
or not. (http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Foundations-Memory-Mattress-Topper/dp/B0002ZQRC8/sr=8-6/qid=1160630865/ref=pd_bbs_6/104-4108449-8584748?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden)

the thickest temperfoam pad you can afford)

There's ways not to break the bank.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2006, 05:45:18 am
The guest bed in my folks house has an old ass mattress covered with a foam pad from some packing crate that my mother salvaged from a dumpster.  It's the most comfortable fuck*ng bed i've ever slept on.  By far.

~Paul
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: linnea on October 12, 2006, 06:03:50 am
The guest bed in my folks house has an old ass mattress covered with a foam pad from some packing crate that my mother salvaged from a dumpster.  It's the most comfortable fuck*ng bed i've ever slept on.  By far.

~Paul

I am literally convulsing in horror at reading that, Paul.

One of my good friends lived in this gorgeous, historic building in Denver's Capitol Hill. She thought it was great, until she started coming up with weird rashes all over her arms. Then they got worse. After visiting like ten dermatologists, they finally figured out that it was BEDBUGS. Apparently, since DDT's been mostly banned they've come back with a vengeance, and they're hard as hell to kill. Good luck with that, dude. Seriously.

In my humble opinion, free stuff from the rubbish ain't worth the price of potential vermin. She and her boyfriend just dumped as much furniture as humanly possible, got their place fumigated, had their new apartment fumigated, washed all their clothes in hot water and ran them trhough the dryer twice, and then did it all again. Bedbugs are almost impossible to get rid of.

Sure, free shit from the dumpster might be infestation-free. But not everyone who dumps vermin-infested stuff is nice enough to mark said item as "BEDBUG/VERMIN INFESTED". On all these bedbug related sites they recommend ripping and clearly marking your vermin-infested furniture before you dispose of it so that you don't infect others, and also wrapping your infested mattress/furniture in several layers of plastic before you drag it out to the dumpster so that you don't scatter lice to the rest of the building.

Oh Christ, I'm having my entire dermis convulse in the heebie-jeebies now. Yuck. YUUUCK.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2006, 06:06:12 am
Linnea, ain't no vermin in my momma's house.  They have the power of the mega cross (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/267099338/).

~Paul
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2006, 06:16:11 am
Thanks.  I will still be in Philly for Halloween (and election day - I am looking forward to voting against Rick Santorum) but will be heading out there for reals in early November.

Jough, my friend Sarah (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/193766013/) is heading to Philly to volunteer for Bob Casey (http://www.ovenall.com/diary/archives/006602.php).  I'm glad that not ALL of the most hideous politicians are from Texas.

~Paul
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 12, 2006, 12:26:34 pm
Casey Jr. is good people.  I don't know if he'll make a good Senator, but Santorum is one of the few who is actually dangerous so I will do what I can (which isn't much) to try to get him out of office.

This time around my plan for voting is: throw out all incumbents.

Now, one may wonder why I care so much since I'm moving out of state soon, but I want my friends and family to be happy and healthy while I'm gone, so I have to do my part to make sure that they have the best political climate that they can.

Plus, Senators affect the entire country (and world) and PA is one of the battleground states this election.  The GOP has a lot to lose here.  Like majority rule in all three branches of the government.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: slink on October 12, 2006, 12:46:31 pm
Now, one may wonder why I care so much since I'm moving out of state soon...

Not when it's Santorum. Christ, I'd vote him out from here if I could. Hell, I'd stab him in the neck with a javelin if I could.
Seeing as I can't, I'll just continue to think of him as the slang version of his name. It's one of the nastiest things ever, but I am glad I know what Santorum is so that now, every time I think of the man, I think of Santorum. It feels like justice.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Noah on October 15, 2006, 05:19:47 pm
my dad is going to leave his job in philly soon and he just left a few hours ago for in interview with a company in columbia, missouri

so it's kind of weird that i just read this thread
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 19, 2006, 05:37:55 pm
Chicago is awesome based on my six years as a proud resident. If it's convenient and affordable, may I suggest living in Evanston?

Here are the pluses:

1) walkable town. You can shop, go to movies, restaurants, everything without using a car or bus.

2) the metra and the EL go there and it is a maximum of 7 stops to be in Chicago (for $1.50 each way on the EL when we left)

3) Great restaurant choices

4) Northwestern Coeds everywhere

5) It has a completely separate identify all it's own, its not a generic suburb and it's pretty vibrant and the people are just great.


Seriously check out Evanston. A similar choice would be Oak Park but it's more traffic congested (and fewer restaurants).

Inside the city limits Hyde Park is pretty cool too. Lincoln Park is great but pretty pricey. Go North rather than South in my opinion.

I'm jealous. One day I think we probably will move back there. Probably after we buy something here so that we can return.




Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 20, 2006, 02:29:08 am
I'm in Chicago RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, I'm looking at places in Lincoln Park, River North, Streetersville, and up north in Lakeview and Wrigleyville.  Should be able to find something nice.  I'm looking forward to looking at places.  I really want to live in the city, at least at first.

Chicago is awesome.  This is the first night I've been here.  Am looking forward to kicking it at a jazz bar tomorrow night.


Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Emmoh on October 20, 2006, 08:21:57 pm
Born and raised.

I was born in Lincoln Park, but I would avoid living there now. It's a gorgeous neighborhood, but the people, well, after living my high school years on the North Shore, I have a distaste for the kind of people that inhabit Lincoln Park.

Evanston is everything that Dawg said it was. Wonderful community. Unfortunately, in the last five years or so, all places in the nice areas have either gone condo or been priced out reasonable range.

I live in Uptown, have for the last couple of years and like it alot, reasonably priced, neighborhood on the rise. I really wanted to live in Roscoe Village or North Center, but I wasn't able to find any places meeting my specifications, both really pretty neighborhoods, with lots of good food and drink.

Rogers Park, the part around Loyola, offers an experience similiar to Evanston, for a easier price of living.

I lived for Edgewater for three years, one of the more underrated spots in the city, but far away from everything.

For a first time renter in Chicago, I recommend looking the Apartment People, a free service that will help you the first time through (if you need to use them any time after that, though, something is seriously wrong.)

In any case, welcome to the greatest city in the world, I hope it treats you well, if you have any questions, feel free to hit me with a PM.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 22, 2006, 02:40:32 pm
The place I think is #1 on my list now is in the Gold Coast, which is near fancy shopping and close to work (I work in the Loop). 

I went around with someone from the Apartment People yesterday and everything she showed me was nice, as opposed to the Apartment Savvy guy who showed me six shitholes and one nice place (although it wasn't as nice as ANY of the places that the Apartment Person showed me.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel it.  I believe I will be starting the paperwork (via the mail) on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm out to see a few places today, but viewing places on Sundays is hard.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: Beatrice on October 26, 2006, 12:20:24 am
what's "reasonable" in these areas?  I would love to live in chicago at least a few years, maybe between now and grad school.  gina (i am wary to say her name, but ye must know) has always lived in th dorms but the last time i was there i was looking through the free weekly and found apartments that seemed pretty well priced (2 bdrm 5 - 6oo and up) but of course i don't know quality.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: jough on October 26, 2006, 03:05:53 am
"Reasonable" in the nicer areas (anywhere you'd actually want to live) are around $1200-1500 for a 1BR and usually include heat and/or water.  Most places you only pay for your electricity, which tends not to be very much.

The further you get from downtown the cheaper places get and the more you get for your money.  Chicago is a pretty expensive city to live in, though.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: side_show on October 26, 2006, 01:02:02 pm
what's "reasonable" in these areas?  I would love to live in chicago at least a few years, maybe between now and grad school.  gina (i am wary to say her name, but ye must know) has always lived in th dorms but the last time i was there i was looking through the free weekly and found apartments that seemed pretty well priced (2 bdrm 5 - 6oo and up) but of course i don't know quality.

I hear Gina's got a couple fo places for rent in the apartment block she built.... in her pu$$y.  You should check it out jough - the view leaves something to be desired, but the heat bills are very low.
Title: Re: Moving to Chicago
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2006, 02:57:53 pm
I hear Gina's got a couple fo places for rent in the apartment block she built.... in her pu$$y.  You should check it out jough - the view leaves something to be desired, but the heat bills are very low.

And your cats will love it...