Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to Chicago  (Read 8268 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 06:11:16 am »

Aug: I can raise me some lonely dental floss just about anywhere.

JL: Don't tease me, baby.  You'd better come visit.

Wombie: This weekend may actually be good.

Smells: I may be slightly closer to India.

Everyone else: Thank you.  I am feeling many positive thoughts about this job and this move.  Lots of "new" stuff at once - new job, new place to live, new city, new friends (I'm assuming I'll have to make new friends somehow - how does one go about doing that again?) and etc.  New chapter in the life of a Jough - I try to only do this sort of major life change thing every ten years, so I'll try it again when I'm 40.  The past decade as a bohemian IT contractor / self-employed web designer has certainly been interesting. 

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 06:27:29 am »

Jough, whenever I go visit my friends at UChicago, I will let you know. We can... drink sodas. or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 06:28:33 am »

Yeah, seriously dude.  Give me a ring.  We'll paint the town puce.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »

Wait a minute - this is a job where sit at a computer and no one can tell if you are posting on a messageboard, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 01:23:59 pm »

I am fairly certain that I will not be posting to any non-work-related message boards (if any) while I am at work.

I like to keep my personal life as separate from my working life as possible.  I don't know how I'm going to go all day without checking my email, though.  Luckily, I found free WiFi access near the building I will be working in, so maybe during lunch I can leave and use the city's WiFi on my PDA to get mail and check the board.

Or otherwise just wait until I get home like I'm sure a number of you people do.

I mean, will YOU be posting from work, Wombie?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 01:55:33 pm »

Nooo!

Of course I post from work. Even though I do not have the kind of job where I can pretend I am working when I am sitting at the computer, for the most part. Come on, everyone uses the work computer for personal stuff.  You've been working at home too long!

I am not sure about the new job.  They have computers and it looks like they have to do computerized daily reports, so sometimes it looks like you are working if you are sitting at the computer...  But anyway, the board is so slow on  the weekend anyway.  It wouldn't be as big a deal as not being able to read the board five days a week. 

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »

I'm afraid to post from work -- my boss is a real dick.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 02:04:42 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 02:46:40 pm »

I am fairly certain that I will not be posting to any non-work-related message boards (if any) while I am at work.

Yeah, good luck with that.  I'd say checking this board ranks up there with crack or heroin for it's addictive powers.

It ain't gonna be easy to give it up when there is a loaded syringe sitting inches away from you.

COLD TURKEY!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 03:13:16 pm »

I'm sure somehow I will manage to stay away from all of this when I am working.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:24 pm »

Belatedly: if by any chance you happen to be in Ohio, call me and we shall go consume some booze.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 02:56:13 am »

i <3 chicago and hoped to be there at the end of the month for halloween weekend as it's become a sort of annual tradition but my social ties are studying abroad this semester.  alas, greyhound does not cater to italy, damn it.  but i wish you all the best and just imagine what it'll be like to finally get around to warm weather again!  after the windy winter you will be almost reborn.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 04:26:00 am »

Thanks.  I will still be in Philly for Halloween (and election day - I am looking forward to voting against Rick Santorum) but will be heading out there for reals in early November.

Now I just have to figure out how to buy a bed over the internet that will be comfortable.  I think I may be able to pick out the mattress I want here and then pick a place in Chicago that will deliver said mattress.  I think that's the plan.

The bed itself is almost immaterial, right?  It's all about the mattress?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 04:32:58 am »

Beatrice?! Wow! How are ya? How's Bozack? Where have you been?

Chicago's a great town, based on the weekend I spent there. If you're up for a culinary experience, go to Moto, but I warn you, it's so far out there your perspective changes. Also, pricey. If you feel like bowling (and who doesn't) Southport Lanes is awesome, but you'll need a reservation, at least on the weekends. Hint: tips == strikes.

I bought my favorite pair of shoes since my black suede Vans in college in Chicago, but my border collie ate them. Such is life.

After preview: get a thinner, very firm mattress, and the thickest temperfoam pad you can afford. Brad Pitt said it, so it must be true. (Friends of mine did that very thing months ago and swear buy it. I'm convinced, but still trying to buy a house.)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Moving to Chicago
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 04:36:58 am »

The temperfoam pad is like that thing on the infomercials that's certified by the Space Foundation?

Yeah, that looks comfortable as hell, but I think I'm probably going to go cheap at first and then upgrade later.

Also, always good to see you, Bea.  I think I said that earlier (another thread).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up