The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2006, 06:27:55 am

Title: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2006, 06:27:55 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232006)

I'm not much for criticizing but this one seems to be less about "the funny" and more about "the wrapping up of plot points"... maybe I'm missing something, though... and anyway, I can't come down on it too hard, many many more hits than misses in Achewood.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 23, 2006, 06:59:01 am
BMW-Butt is pretty good, but the rest is eh.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: CortJstr on October 23, 2006, 01:10:26 pm
Lonis looks a little too into the sexuality of the #####
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2006, 01:26:58 pm
I'm getting really tired of this ark, but must admit the concept of an entire train car full of post menopausally horny women is a disturbing concept.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: wombat on October 23, 2006, 01:30:02 pm
Is it just me or is there something off about the dialogue here?  When he says "I have a caboose etc" and Ray says "What's all this talk I'm hearin' about a caboose etc" -  You don't say "what's all this talk I'm hearin'" about something that a person has just said to you in an immediately previous utterance. Do you?
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: smick on October 23, 2006, 02:12:06 pm
Lonis looks a little grainy, and less blurry today.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2006, 02:46:57 pm
Is it just me or is there something off about the dialogue here?  When he says "I have a caboose etc" and Ray says "What's all this talk I'm hearin' about a caboose etc" -  You don't say "what's all this talk I'm hearin'" about something that a person has just said to you in an immediately previous utterance. Do you?

I say this.  It is something I say.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: nuero on October 23, 2006, 03:09:20 pm
What's all this talk about you saying that?
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: wombat on October 23, 2006, 03:22:29 pm
I say this.  It is something I say.

Huh.  Interesting. See, I would only say this if, like, someone else had told me that Mr Lonis had been saying such a thing, or if other people had been saying it, and I was bringing the subject up to him.  If I were reacting to something Mr L. had just said to me, I would preface it with some other phrase.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: robot_god on October 23, 2006, 05:16:35 pm
Personal Christmas party, I like that.  It seems like this arc is O's own personal Christmas party.


I just can't tell if I like it or not.  All the ideas that come up are completely independent of each other and inconsequential.  I love the concept, but it continues to play out without being satisfying.  It's like trying to tell if someone has a haircut or not.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: theinevitable on October 23, 2006, 06:05:49 pm
I wish no one had ever told me the phrase or concept of "jumping the shark." Because really, I shouldn't be allowed to attempt to use those things at my age. I know I am overreacting, but something about this arc makes me a little sad.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2006, 07:45:35 pm
Quote from: theinevitable
I wish no one had ever told me the phrase or concept of "jumping the shark."

I wouldn't go THAT far... this arc definitely started out funny as hell and mutated into something... not so much funny as interestingly surreal but just as enjoyable. It's just that it has also been sorta... stretched out too far, to the point where today's strip was essentially a staging of thoughts expressed Thursday.

Less "jumping the shark" more like... he had this really funny idea and now he's sorta seeing how much he can get out of it. Sort of like the pitcher, winning 10-0 in the eigth, going out and trying to pitch a complete game shutout even though he's kinda tired, just to get that complete game shutout...

And then he gives up two home runs in the ninth.

Dude still pitched a complete game, dude still won 10-2 but... it probably would've "looked" better in the newspapers the next day and in his various pitching statistics if he has let a rookie relief guy take the ninth inning.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2006, 07:50:22 pm
Onstad needs a reliever.

~Paul
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: theinevitable on October 23, 2006, 08:40:14 pm
yeah, that's what I'm saying. It is not a really legitimate use of the phrase... but now it's in my head, and it pops out.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: robot_god on October 23, 2006, 09:10:47 pm
Yeah, it is essential to the expression that it be used retrospectively.
Title: Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
Post by: jaydub on October 23, 2006, 11:56:36 pm
I thought reiterating the last panel of Thursday's made this one fall a bit flatter.  Ray had already conjured the image of post-menopausal real estate agents for us - it would have worked better if Lonis had said the the train was full of returnees from a Century-21 Carribean Cruise Adventure.