Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.  (Read 3470 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:27:55 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232006

I'm not much for criticizing but this one seems to be less about "the funny" and more about "the wrapping up of plot points"... maybe I'm missing something, though... and anyway, I can't come down on it too hard, many many more hits than misses in Achewood.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:59:01 am »

BMW-Butt is pretty good, but the rest is eh.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 01:10:26 pm »

Lonis looks a little too into the sexuality of the #####
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:26:58 pm »

I'm getting really tired of this ark, but must admit the concept of an entire train car full of post menopausally horny women is a disturbing concept.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:46:23 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:02 pm »

Is it just me or is there something off about the dialogue here?  When he says "I have a caboose etc" and Ray says "What's all this talk I'm hearin' about a caboose etc" -  You don't say "what's all this talk I'm hearin'" about something that a person has just said to you in an immediately previous utterance. Do you?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:12:06 pm »

Lonis looks a little grainy, and less blurry today.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 02:46:57 pm »

Is it just me or is there something off about the dialogue here?  When he says "I have a caboose etc" and Ray says "What's all this talk I'm hearin' about a caboose etc" -  You don't say "what's all this talk I'm hearin'" about something that a person has just said to you in an immediately previous utterance. Do you?

I say this.  It is something I say.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:09:20 pm »

What's all this talk about you saying that?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:22:29 pm »

I say this.  It is something I say.

Huh.  Interesting. See, I would only say this if, like, someone else had told me that Mr Lonis had been saying such a thing, or if other people had been saying it, and I was bringing the subject up to him.  If I were reacting to something Mr L. had just said to me, I would preface it with some other phrase.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 05:16:35 pm »

Personal Christmas party, I like that.  It seems like this arc is O's own personal Christmas party.


I just can't tell if I like it or not.  All the ideas that come up are completely independent of each other and inconsequential.  I love the concept, but it continues to play out without being satisfying.  It's like trying to tell if someone has a haircut or not.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 06:05:49 pm »

I wish no one had ever told me the phrase or concept of "jumping the shark." Because really, I shouldn't be allowed to attempt to use those things at my age. I know I am overreacting, but something about this arc makes me a little sad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 07:45:35 pm »

Quote from: theinevitable
I wish no one had ever told me the phrase or concept of "jumping the shark."

I wouldn't go THAT far... this arc definitely started out funny as hell and mutated into something... not so much funny as interestingly surreal but just as enjoyable. It's just that it has also been sorta... stretched out too far, to the point where today's strip was essentially a staging of thoughts expressed Thursday.

Less "jumping the shark" more like... he had this really funny idea and now he's sorta seeing how much he can get out of it. Sort of like the pitcher, winning 10-0 in the eigth, going out and trying to pitch a complete game shutout even though he's kinda tired, just to get that complete game shutout...

And then he gives up two home runs in the ninth.

Dude still pitched a complete game, dude still won 10-2 but... it probably would've "looked" better in the newspapers the next day and in his various pitching statistics if he has let a rookie relief guy take the ninth inning.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 07:50:22 pm »

Onstad needs a reliever.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 08:40:14 pm »

yeah, that's what I'm saying. It is not a really legitimate use of the phrase... but now it's in my head, and it pops out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 23 October 2006 - two birds with one stone.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 09:10:47 pm »

Yeah, it is essential to the expression that it be used retrospectively.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up