The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on October 25, 2006, 06:06:40 am
-
Ray returns from Mexico. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10252006)
omggggg Ray is pretty thin. Did he ever go to Mexico at all?
-
Huzzah again!
-
good lord, that is so funny to me.
-
Starvation has has tragically resulted in penile or perhaps testicular atrophy.
-
I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out - and that normally only happens to ladies
(cue flaming)
-
"put butter on what I said"
this is one of the funniest renderings of Ray ever. his dangling bauble (and I don't mean his medallion) made me chortle...
PUT BUTTER ON WHAT I JUST SAID!
-
There are like ten lines in this that should be the thread title.
Worth the buildup even if things have seemed to meander a bit slowly lately. Phooey on all you impatient ones who have been complaining about your free entertainment.
-
He's apparently missing a lense in his glasses but is still wearing them anyway. That would drive me nuts.
-
Honestly, I could do without ever seeing Lonis again. The setup was so supremely weird and sinister, but the payoff just didn't happen for me.
Until today, that is. So funny and yet so disturbing. Wouldn't say it made up for the previous two weeks of pointless meandering, but what a splendid way to start a Wednesday. Tennis lessons, indeed.
-
I guess walking home from Mexico is less objectionable than riding the bus with Riverdance Butters and the ladies.
-
Ray has bloody/scabby knees
WHAT HAS RAY BEEN HAVING TO DO TO GET TRANSPORTATION/FOOD/SHELTER?
-
Put me in for a minority vote on really liking this whole arc, slow bits in the middle included.
I think what is and is not "slow" in a serialized format is pretty subjective. Re-reading the archives, a lot of stories that I found sort of a slog to get through (like C. Head) are now fantastic read at a faster pace. And as to the claims of Shark Jumping, I think it's pretty obvious that Mr. O is in this for the long haul. His total rejection of the whole hey-everyone-look-at-me! mode of being a webcartoonist gives me hope that I'll still be reading and enjoying new achewoods when President Perot invades Canada. The tone and thrust of the strip drifts a bit as the years go by, but I wouldn't say that there's been any decline in quality.
And yeah, today's strip was one of the funniest things I've ever read. My favorite bit is Cornelius' sober rebuttal to Ray's assumption about Western Union.
Stuffing a Lasagna inside a Turkey... you know... that might be good. Anyone got kitchen skills and a camera?
-
I must not have been awake enough when I read the strip this morning because I just realized that I came away with a mental picture of a turkey stuffed inside a lasagna instead of the other way around.
-
guys, to reiterate, I was not saying that onstad was jumping any sort of anything. what I was saying is that now that I know that phrase, it comes to mind any time I don't like something that I used to enjoy, even if this is a temporary state.
-
He's apparently missing a lense in his glasses but is still wearing them anyway. That would drive me nuts.
I had to drive home from a concert like that. Definitely not an excellent thing to do! But I had no choice.
-
Yeah, just about every line of dialogue in this strip is subject-worthy. I'm also fond of the spider bite big enough that it should receive tennis lessons.
Once again, we have proof that Ray apparently became hardcore at some point. Goddamn.
-
Strip of the Year. Oh wait, I already said that (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09132006). It's a toss up.
~Paul
-
Riverdance Butters and the ladies.
I'd like to travel in time to 1979 and use that for the title of a new television program. Maybe it stars Ernest Borgnine as RB, a gambler/grifter/raconteur, who is confronted one day by his ex who ran a brothel until the sheriff closed it down. Now she cons Riverdance into taking her in, along with several sassy young ladies who worked for her. Every week they hatch another bold scheme to get rich while staying one step ahead of the law. Alas, many of these plans don't come to fruition, but you watch because it's better than another "B.J. and the Bear" rerun.
-
I wonder, is it really a good idea to store the tea kettle with an inch of water in it?
-
mayhaps this shall cure the diabetes!
-
I wonder, is it really a good idea to store the tea kettle with an inch of water in it?
I don't see why not.
In the least it would protect it from melting if it ever met a flame accidentally. :shrug:
In my parent's business, they always use a decrepit old pot that starts melting and smelling awful when there's no water in it.
-
Just walk it to the table and shoot it.
~Paul
-
I wonder, is it really a good idea to store the tea kettle with an inch of water in it?
This is more or less the default condition of my teakettle. Not through any rational means however - I just rarely have occasion to use all the water I boiled.
-
I wonder, is it really a good idea to store the tea kettle with an inch of water in it?
This is more or less the default condition of my teakettle. Not through any rational means however - I just rarely have occasion to use all the water I boiled.
I used to leave water in the kettle until one day I discovered it had begun to RUST.
After I've filled the teapot, I always empty out the last of the water dregs into the sink. I got an expensive tea kettle and I don't want it to rust. Plus I don't want to ingest rust.
-
It seems like there's a difference between tea pots and tea kettles? Is that right?
-
It seems like there's a difference between tea pots and tea kettles? Is that right?
YES. Teapots can't be heated on the stove, because they are usually porcelain or ceramic and would break if you tried to do that. A teakettle is made for heating water. I guess you could put tea leaves in a teakettle, but I don't think it would be a very good idea.
-
Plus I don't want to ingest rust.
Why not? I thought you ladies needed the iron.
-
yeah man, what gives?
-
I saw a Good Eats episode about rust the other day. That Alton Brown, he made a Rust Quiche using only a whisk and a soldering gun.
-
I thought that rust would give you lockjaw.
DAMMIT! The Internet proves me wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus
Association with rust
Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails, but this is somewhat misleading. Rust itself does not cause tetanus or contain more C. tetani bacteria. Objects that accumulate rust are often found in the outdoors or places that generally contain more anaerobic bacteria. Since C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it will thrive in an environment that lacks oxygen. The rough surface of rusty metal provides a prime habitat for the endospore to reside. This endospore is a non-metabolising survival structure and once in an adequate environment (e.g. a puncture wound) it begins metabolising and an infection begins. Therefore, stepping on an old forgotten nail in a stable could easily result in tetanus, partly because C. tetani is found in animal feces (which is rather abundant in a stable) and the puncture wound effectively create an ideal breeding ground for the bacteria (because of the lack of oxygen). Such an old nail would likely be rusty, but a lack of rust would provide no protection. On the other hand, someone scratching themselves against a rusty fire escape ladder in an urban setting would have a much lesser chance of getting tetanus since fire escape ladders do not often come into intimate contact with soil, dirt or organic waste and the wound itself (e.g. a scratch) does not create an oxygen-poor environment.
-
I liked this story arc.
Then again, I don't mind if the story unrolls at a slow pace, it's more entertaing to read in the long run.
-
Something else I love about this one.
After undergoing the sort of painful and unexpected trauma that would have most people gibbering in shock and self-pity, Ray's response is to get bitchy about dinner.
Dude is definitely a cat.
-
WAIT!
Steak suggests Beef
Snout suggests Pig
No?
I reckon a Cow'd be pissed off if you suggested she had a snout?
-
I thought elephant.
-
Ray will be so hungry that animal anatomy is sort of unimportant to him. He just wants fed.
-
I think the best way to prevent 'ambient dust or grease' from entering a kettle would be to put the lid on it.
The 'deposit' forms because your water contains quantities of calcium ions (or possibly magnesium). The solubility of such depends strongly on temperature, and reaches nil at boiling point, when they are precipitated out of solution in the form of calcium carbonate, i.e. chalk.
If you store the kettle with water inside, it will slowly evaporate and probably cause a few more ions to precipitate over the course of the day. But compared to what happens when you boil the thing, this will be negligible. In other words you're screwed either way. Mr. Bear is propagating an old wives' tale...
If you can run to the expense of a water filter or softener, this will help significantly. However, there is one very easy way of removing the chalky deposit, if you happen to dislike the prospect of stalagmites in your kettle: Vinegar. Cheapest vinegar you can find in the store, one part to ten parts water, fill the kettle and let it stand overnight, next morning the chalk will just wipe away. If not, repeat with one part to five parts water. Don't forget to rinse.
-
Touamb - come for the Achewood bashing, stay for the Education.
-
While we're at it, is there a miracle way to get tea stains out of mugs, aside from scrubbing hard?
-
While we're at it, is there a miracle way to get tea stains out of mugs, aside from scrubbing hard?
Bleach.
or white vinegar - depends on who'll be drinking from it next
-
Not only does it seem icky to put bleach on my dishes - it seems to me that then you've still got tea residue, it's just turned white, you know? I mean, if it comes off when I scrub, there is stuff there. I don't just want to take the color out of the stuff.
Well, I have the day off and it's about to rain, there's nothing else fun to do. I suppose I can fill some tea cups with vinegar while I wait for today's comic to post.
You know I am not so sure I wanted to know that I am drinking chalk when I don't boil the water to precipitate it out. Sometimes this Education is not all it's cracked up to be.
-
Yes, I too want to know about the tea residue. I saw a program on PBS several years ago where a dude was giving all kinds of helping hints about such things. He put something in a heavily stained teacup and the stains just melted away. Of course my memory is such that I couldn't remember what it was he put in the cup to make this happen. I also can't remember his name or the name of his program. So now not only am I still stricken with tea stained cups, but also the knowledge that there is a simple solution (pun, get it) just out of the reach of my memory. Sigh.
~Paul
-
My reply (well - the white vinegar bit) was entirely serious and based in fact. Try it.
-
Hell, tap water is full of bacteria and phytoplankton (have I got that right?) and suchlike, which maybe you kill by boiling, but don't do a healthy person the least bit of harm.
I don't think calcium ions are so bad either. Some bottled waters make a point of them.
Returning to Ray, where is that spider bite? Logically it should either be on his hindermost side, or in the thong area, and since Philippe has seen it, I have to vote for the former.