The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on October 27, 2006, 05:46:30 pm

Title: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2006, 05:46:30 pm

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10272006 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10272006)

I hope that I find an opportunity to use the Opera Singer emoticon someday.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 27, 2006, 06:15:40 pm
I hate to argue with Wombat regarding the subject, but the fact that it doesn't mention Satan-neutralTM makes me a little sad
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2006, 06:19:08 pm
I considered that but I wasn't sure if the superscript would work in a subject line.  And I hate when that thing happens where you mess around with the post for so long that someone else starts another thread. 
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 27, 2006, 06:52:36 pm
I would just like to weigh in, agreeing that most of the people who claim to have photographic memories are either lying or do not know what the hell they mean by a photographic memory. I honestly think that some people believe that it means they think in pictures as, I am told, most people actually do. Which has nothing to do with memory.

I'm told I'm weird because I think in typed words and spoken words and not in images, parenthetically. It seems most people do not think this way! It aids in being able to describe completely awful things without picturing them and grossing out others for fun and profit.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2006, 06:52:50 pm
Hmm.  Still a Phillippe Friday, but considerably less Meh this week.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2006, 06:54:16 pm
This is maybe the best Philippe Times in a while. I love Philippe's pig costume, and Satan-NeutralTM is a fantastic phrase, one I should start applying to more things.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 27, 2006, 06:58:24 pm
Doubtless Lyle is one step closer to Miami's respect in this little visit to Hell's Ditch. Genet's feeling Ramon's dick, the guy in the bunk above gets sick, the lunatic in the cell next door starts screaming for his mother.

Why does Phillipe's pig costume have hair? If anything it looks like he's trying to pull off Emeril as his own food. Maybe in this year's Halloween strip Phillipe IS Ray's homecoming meal.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: side_show on October 27, 2006, 07:02:26 pm
Why does Phillipe's pig costume include an afro?  Was he influenced by the naked guy?
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2006, 07:04:41 pm
My interpretation was that Philippe, in the style of little kids who design their own Halloween costumes, is a little vague on what a pig looks like. That, or he just wanted to wear an Afro wig.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2006, 07:13:48 pm
Perhaps he feels that some kind of wig or headgear is obligatory for a costume. It's a reasonable conclusion to arrive at, I think.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2006, 07:40:26 pm
Maybe he's trying to be attractive to Teador.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: stringph on October 27, 2006, 08:02:02 pm

I feel that large numbers of cans should be awarded to anyone who can find the source of Fig. 1. Bonus for doing so without trawling through large amounts of porn.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 27, 2006, 08:18:25 pm
I can reliably inform you that typing 'naked man' into Google and checking the first few pages is neither productive or healthy.

I am now moving onto 'naked dude'. The first page of results is nothing if not discouraging.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Enkidu on October 27, 2006, 09:02:58 pm
I'm told I'm weird because I think in typed words and spoken words and not in images, parenthetically.
Interesting.

"Are you sure it's not time for a colorful metaphor?"

I love the disclaimer by Beef at the end.  Also the alt-text.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: thedudeabides85 on October 27, 2006, 10:17:50 pm
I would just like to weigh in, agreeing that most of the people who claim to have photographic memories are either lying or do not know what the hell they mean by a photographic memory. I honestly think that some people believe that it means they think in pictures as, I am told, most people actually do. Which has nothing to do with memory.

I'm told I'm weird because I think in typed words and spoken words and not in images, parenthetically. It seems most people do not think this way! It aids in being able to describe completely awful things without picturing them and grossing out others for fun and profit.

"Eidetic memory" is the more precise and less misleading term for "photographic memory."  I know I got it cause I memorized the names of all the people with eidetic memory in the Wikipedia article.  Look: Mozart, Nikola Tesla, John of Gorze.  Oh, I could go on.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone thinks in mentalese, which I suppose is like Esperanto.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: jaydub on October 27, 2006, 10:51:04 pm
The strength of my memory is inversely proportional to the importance of the information to daily life.  This is useful for Trivial Pursuit, and is a source of amusement for my colleagues who like to play "Lets find something John doesn't know about."  However, its a source of despair for my wife, who resorts to emailing me reminders to do things like get gas in the car.  Sometimes she does this when we're both at home.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drastic Action on October 27, 2006, 10:52:17 pm
Speaking of alt texts (or more accurately, 'title'), with firefox 2, the tooltip does not appear when I hover over images, and thus I am robbed of it from comics such as achewood, dr. mcninja, or xkcd.  I have to look at the image properties to get it.  Anyone know how to re-enable this?
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: sensate on October 27, 2006, 11:03:30 pm
Oh, please let this be the segue to a Lyle-in-prison story arc. Not enough Lyle lately.

Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 27, 2006, 11:07:42 pm
Quote from: Enkidu
I love the disclaimer by Beef at the end.  Also the alt-text.

A can for naming yourself after Sumarian epic poetry.

Also, I want a Halloween costume of myself that consists of a mask of my own face? And a plastic smock with a picture of myself on it saying "Trick or Treat!" in a big word bubble instead of a close approximation of the clothes I would usually wear rendered as a plastic smock. Because the latter would be just silly.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 27, 2006, 11:13:14 pm
Hey kiu kredi la strio bezoni pli Lyle!

I once got a bloody big box, dressed it up as a pumpkin, put it on a trolley (with arm holes) and wheeled myself about. The dog (who's terror of my previous Headless Man costume resulted in five stitches) tore it up along with a small part of my arm, but not before I'd forlornly wheeled myself around the empty village after some local toughs mercilessly trundled me into a shite filled ditch.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 27, 2006, 11:24:31 pm
Nepra, mi posedi lauxlegxa rajto en bebo produkti
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 27, 2006, 11:44:03 pm
Speaking of alt texts (or more accurately, 'title'), with firefox 2, the tooltip does not appear when I hover over images, and thus I am robbed of it from comics such as achewood, dr. mcninja, or xkcd.  I have to look at the image properties to get it.  Anyone know how to re-enable this?

I haven't upgrade to FX2 yet (I'm waiting a bit to allow time for extensions and themes to update) but I use the Popup ALT Attribute. There's also a Greasemonkey script (http://adamv.com/dev/grease/) that will display the text underneath the comic for Achewood, Dinosaur Comics, A Softer World, Dr McNinja, Wondermark, and xkcd.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: jough on October 28, 2006, 12:50:56 am
Achewood doesn't actually use alt-text - it uses a title element - and that does pop-up in Firefox, although it concatenates the text after so many characters and just puts a ... at the end.

So you'd still need to check the properties to read the entire title text.

I don't know of any way around this... as of yet.

But you can change a LOT of FF's behaviour with:

about:config (http://about:config)

Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2006, 02:58:58 am
Achewood doesn't actually use alt-text - it uses a title element - and that does pop-up in Firefox, although it concatenates the text after so many characters and just puts a ... at the end.

So you'd still need to check the properties to read the entire title text.

I don't know of any way around this... as of yet.

But you can change a LOT of FF's behaviour with:

about:config (http://about:config)



https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1715/
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Choop on October 28, 2006, 03:01:01 am
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1715/

Damn! At least I was out-CJ'd by the man himself.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2006, 03:01:48 am
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1715/

Jinx!
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2006, 03:39:02 am
Povi por todo persono en es fadeno por mensolo mi kiel multa mi ami Esperanto kaj konduki dorso a maljuna peco!

SOPIRI VIVI HARRY HARRISON!

I don't read Esperanto, but Harry Harrison ROCKS.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: vivouk on October 28, 2006, 02:46:06 pm
I once got a bloody big box, dressed it up as a pumpkin, put it on a trolley (with arm holes) and wheeled myself about. The dog (who's terror of my previous Headless Man costume resulted in five stitches) tore it up along with a small part of my arm, but not before I'd forlornly wheeled myself around the empty village after some local toughs mercilessly trundled me into a shite filled ditch.

A can for this heartbreaking story.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: jough on October 28, 2006, 04:02:42 pm
Great "add-on" Cort.  Remember when they were called "extensions" last version?  Sigh.

Anyway, I love FF2.0 so far except when it just completely freezes up when I'm trying to scroll up or down a page sometimes and I have to kill it with a three fingered salute.  By "sometimes" I mean at least three times a day.

I know I should have waited for the first point release, but dang it's just so derned... sexy.

Love the spell-check built right into the browser for text fields, too.  I am ashamed to admit that I need it.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2006, 04:47:57 pm
I'm still addicted to TBE. Granted, every single official release of FX has included more and more TBE features but there are still some missing that I can't otherwise live without. How do people survive without undo-close-tab?
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 28, 2006, 05:53:16 pm
I'm still addicted to TBE. Granted, every single official release of FX has included more and more TBE features but there are still some missing that I can't otherwise live without. How do people survive without undo-close-tab?

Doesn't FF2 have an undo-close-tab button as a stock inclusion anyway? I've only got one extension (alt-text sorter-outer, thanks CJ) but I can undo-close-tab whenever it takes my fancy. Sorry if I've misinterpreted or the like.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: jough on October 28, 2006, 06:26:25 pm
Yeah, undo close tab is native now, as is "Restore Previous Browser Session" which will re-open everything in case of a crash or if you just close the browser with a dozen tabs open.

Seriously, though, learn how to use about:config - you can change anything you don't like pretty much.  I've made the default tab width 75px instead of the default 100 so I can have more tabs visible at once.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 28, 2006, 09:27:01 pm
There are times when I feel as though I know something about computers.

This is not one of them.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: theinevitable on October 28, 2006, 09:37:17 pm
yeah, um, where are these two now-native features hiding from me? I am not experiencing any of them.

also, I downloaded an Ad-On which is supposed to tell me the weather, but it does not know that St Louis exists (except a bunch of them in France.)


pre-edit: Actually, I found the "recently closed tabs" thing. clever.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2006, 01:46:28 am
Doesn't FF2 have an undo-close-tab button as a stock inclusion anyway? I've only got one extension (alt-text sorter-outer, thanks CJ) but I can undo-close-tab whenever it takes my fancy. Sorry if I've misinterpreted or the like.

It is a native feature now but it wasn't in in previous versions. I meant that as an example of a can't-live-without feature that one used to need an extension for. See also: Session Restore and Force Single Window Mode
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: jough on October 29, 2006, 03:05:32 am
I like how the core app has started to absorb some of the features of the smaller and very common extensions.  I hope it continues to subsume the extensions that just add necessary flexibility to the platform itself.

I mean, I wouldn't expect FireFox to become bloatware, adding in every extension ever made, but basic tab management and not DELETING YOUR BOOKMARKS when it crashes is a nice start.

Yes, I still run a backup macro at least once a day that saves my Mozilla profiles folder to an external hard drive just in case something goes wonky and FF decides when it restarts again to wipe out all of my settings and bookmarks.

So not doing that is a big plus.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Bimmicus on October 29, 2006, 07:42:13 pm
I'm a pig for Halloween!
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Drygioni on October 29, 2006, 07:56:45 pm
I'm a pig for Halloween!

Bimmicus! Act your age!

For Halloween, I will merely possess the appetite of a pig. Those Halloween sweets ain't going to eat them themselves.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: theinevitable on October 29, 2006, 08:07:47 pm
I am pretty sure I am nothing for Halloween. damn that.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: Bimmicus on October 29, 2006, 08:19:59 pm
If I were to act my age, I'm pretty sure I would be dead.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: vivouk on October 29, 2006, 09:49:56 pm
Flashblocker is the greatest little program on Earth.
Title: Re: Oct 27 2006 Free stew and jammies!
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2006, 11:41:31 pm
Flashblocker is the greatest little program on Earth.

That's another one that I completely forgot isn't standard. Mainly when I hear people bitching about MySpace playing songs whether you want to hear them or not.