The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Drygioni on November 02, 2006, 01:21:45 pm

Title: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Drygioni on November 02, 2006, 01:21:45 pm
http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2006/11/achewood-list-november-1-2006.html (http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2006/11/achewood-list-november-1-2006.html)
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2006/11/golf-memoir-no-4-food.html (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2006/11/golf-memoir-no-4-food.html)
http://orezscu.blogspot.com/2006/11/got-kicked-out-of-my-one-man-band.html (http://orezscu.blogspot.com/2006/11/got-kicked-out-of-my-one-man-band.html)

Poor Teodor! He truly knows the pain of being too crap for even a one man band. It is bad when this happens.

Also, good on Molly and Beef to take Phillipe out! We all know what happens when Phillipe goes out on the town without parental supervision.

Out of interest, what do people here think of Molly's blog in general?
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2006, 01:38:56 pm
OK, I have to say it. I don't like Teodor. He is a pretentious wimp. He can't figure out the recording equipment, and he uses a bread machine.

I love Molly's blog. It is a perfect rendition of what it is meant to be.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 02, 2006, 02:32:45 pm
I can't believe Teodor has never eaten liverwurst.  It is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy organ meat.  Particularly delicious with cucumber slices on rye bread.  Real rye, of course, from a bakery/deli, not the soft-crusted abomination they try to sell in grocery stores.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 02, 2006, 04:12:26 pm
So from those last two posts: no liverwurst = pretentious wimp. I think I'm OK with that call.

What the hell went on with Onstad? That was terrible.

Hi-5 my ass.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Beatrice on November 02, 2006, 05:04:00 pm
On our way home we ran into Ray, in full costume as a peacock with spats, a top hat, and a calling card. He said he was "Peacock Pimp: The Most Beautiful Pimp In The Ghetto," and I believed him. I asked Beef later, and he said that he had believed him as well.

oh. em. gee.  i, too, was a peacock for halloween.  and foraying further into coincidence, i was a rather slutty peacock, one worthy of being pimped by mr. smuckles.  since i have electric blue hair now it seemed appropriate i be bathed in the same color all over, from giraffenets to velvet dress to home-made tail.  i also wore the ensemble to cirque de soleil Delirium on Saturday thinking "oh, it's halloween weekend and this show's gonna be crazy trippy and surely everyone else will think to dress up too!"  instead i was walking around with my mom in knee-high black pleather boots and glitter all across my face through Freedom Hall in Louisville with akward stares from anyone and everyone that couldn't ignore my clomping along, trying to pull my dress down over my lacy bloomers.  to make matters worse i was obviously stoned (though, damn, did that show deserve it) and unable to appologize for my whorish appearrance.  ah, the generation gaps, how i loathe thee!  anyways, it was still good to get back into the holloween spirit after several years of blah.  i'll post pictures somewhere soon.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Drygioni on November 02, 2006, 05:12:48 pm
On behalf of the members who make up the 5.1 of the male/female ratio: Sorry Beatrice, but you know that on this board a mere description of that costume won't be enough.

But, maybe it is! Don't feel pressured or nothing. Really.

I guess my heart wasn't really in this post. Was it lecherous? It was kind of lecherous, wasn't it? That's not very good. Sorry.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 02, 2006, 05:26:51 pm
After a comment on strutting those tail feathers for us and making the lace dance I came up empty. So I guess your comment will have to stand as...adequate.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2006, 05:33:43 pm
um, recording equipment is really hard to figure out. like, i have enough issues with the stuff I bought for my computer, which comes with an instruction manual (...which I lost before I read it.)
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2006, 05:38:09 pm
I thought that peahens were all ugly and brown, not sexified such as you described.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2006, 05:48:54 pm
I can't believe Teodor has never eaten liverwurst.  It is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy organ meat.  Particularly delicious with cucumber slices on rye bread.  Real rye, of course, from a bakery/deli, not the soft-crusted abomination they try to sell in grocery stores.

Mmm.  I love the liverwurst.  On pumpernickel with a thin slice of onion and brown mustard.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: jough on November 02, 2006, 05:57:36 pm
oh. em. gee.  i, too, was a peacock for halloween.  and foraying further into coincidence, i was a rather slutty peacock

I kinda tuned out after this.

So I know it was brought up above, but c'mon.  You can't just introduce this line of discussion without photos.

There is a rule.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2006, 05:59:13 pm
I thought that peahens were all ugly and brown, not sexified such as you described.

This is correct. So she was some kind of cross-dressing peacock, apparently.

Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 02, 2006, 06:00:39 pm
Mmm.  I love the liverwurst.  On pumpernickel with a thin slice of onion and brown mustard.

::DROOL::

And todays sammich consists boring turkey on wheat. A single tear slides down my cheek.

Curse you, yolk man, and this new lust in my heart.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2006, 08:00:36 pm
I keep reading "I love Liverwurst" as "I love the internet on pumpernickel."

yes.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on November 03, 2006, 03:49:27 am
oh. em. gee.  i, too, was a peacock for halloween.  and foraying further into coincidence, i was a rather slutty peacock, one worthy of being pimped by mr. smuckles.  since i have electric blue hair now it seemed appropriate i be bathed in the same color all over, from giraffenets to velvet dress to home-made tail.  i also wore the ensemble to cirque de soleil Delirium on Saturday thinking "oh, it's halloween weekend and this show's gonna be crazy trippy and surely everyone else will think to dress up too!"  instead i was walking around with my mom in knee-high black pleather boots and glitter all across my face through Freedom Hall in Louisville with akward stares from anyone and everyone that couldn't ignore my clomping along, trying to pull my dress down over my lacy bloomers.  to make matters worse i was obviously stoned (though, damn, did that show deserve it) and unable to appologize for my whorish appearrance.  ah, the generation gaps, how i loathe thee!  anyways, it was still good to get back into the holloween spirit after several years of blah.  i'll post pictures somewhere soon.

Don't tease us dammit.  Lets see those pictures.

~Paul
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2006, 01:36:44 pm
"Don't get me wrong—olive oil has its place. That place is at the store, while you are buying butter."

bwAH (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/11/butter-where-have-you-been-all-my-life.html)
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: jough on November 08, 2006, 01:42:58 pm
That's a funny line.  I tend to not read the blogs, so I apprecitate their discussion here.  I get the best of them without all of that time-consuming reading.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2006, 02:07:25 pm
If death by congeeling butter shows up in the next Saw movie Ray should sue for hell of royalties.
Title: 8 November 2006 -- The Vegan's Body is Slowly Crushed
Post by: mrchee on November 08, 2006, 03:40:47 pm
Ray's Ode to Butter (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/11/butter-where-have-you-been-all-my-life.html)

Onstad appears to be back in top form.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on November 08, 2006, 06:19:13 pm
You know why this is funny?  This is funny because I had the same revalation about butter about 18 months ago.  BUUUUUUUTTTTTERRR!
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: mtarquin on November 08, 2006, 08:09:26 pm
This blog entry gave me lactose-induced stomach ailment just by reading it. So much butter.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2006, 08:55:23 pm
I disagree with Ray about olive oil.  But he is right that butter is a good thing.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 08, 2006, 10:12:42 pm
I put butter in my grits this morning and then said quetly to them "buttttteeeeer" in Ray-mintation. Not quitely enough, though, the waitress heard me as she was passing by the counter and gave me hella glares. She stayed beyond arms reach the rest of the time I was there. I guess what happened here is I shamed myself publicly in butter adulation.

eh, whaddayagonnado...
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Roger on November 09, 2006, 12:05:44 am
I put butter in my grits this morning and then said quetly to them "buttttteeeeer" in Ray-mintation. Not quitely enough, though, the waitress heard me as she was passing by the counter and gave me hella glares. She stayed beyond arms reach the rest of the time I was there. I guess what happened here is I shamed myself publicly in butter adulation.

eh, whaddayagonnado...

Maybe she had seen Last Tango in Paris the night before, and thought you were having wrong ideas.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: mrchee on November 09, 2006, 12:36:29 am
I disagree with Ray about olive oil.

Olive oil is little more than a skidmark on the underp4nts of culinary science
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 09, 2006, 03:17:34 am
Dude, porking olive oil and swerving around the ##### bannination all in one sentance. Living large on the edge you thrillseeker you.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: linnea on November 09, 2006, 03:42:54 am
Olive oil is delicious. I love it.

that being said... I am trying to lose weight, but as Ray demonstrated, sometimes you just have to break out the butter. I'll run around the block later. Last Saturday I won twenty pounds of Red King Crab. Minutes ago, I finished cooking what would equal a $100 entree in the Lower 48, prepared some hella decadent garlic-infused melted butter and rigatoni, and had a ridiculously good meal. Ideally there would have been some vegetables with that, but I eat this stuff  (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Life-Meal-1200-powder/dp/B00013YYR6)for two meals a day so I figure I've got those bases covered. It has freeze-dried broccoli and spirulina (blue-green algae) in it.

...I digress. Anyway, I have twenty pounds of Red King. For free, bitches. My freezer looks like this: (http://static.flickr.com/105/292763444_676648e0c8.jpg)
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: mrchee on November 09, 2006, 07:31:55 am
Olive oil does not deserve to be mentioned together with King Crab.  Shit, not even regular butter is good enough.  You need to clarify that shit, make sure you get the most fat/cholesterol for your buck
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2006, 05:37:47 pm
Roast beef said that italians don't know how to cook pasta and many of youlagreed.  Ray says olive oil is not good and again we have widespread agreement with this sentiment.  I'm now inclined to believe that y'all are full of shit.

~Paul
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Drygioni on November 09, 2006, 05:39:55 pm
Roast beef said that italians don't know how to cook pasta and many of youlagreed.

~Paul

... People agreed with Roast Beef on this? No offence to anyone, but bollocks!
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2006, 05:48:05 pm
Roast beef said that italians don't know how to cook pasta and many of youlagreed.  Ray says olive oil is not good and again we have widespread agreement with this sentiment.  I'm now inclined to believe that y'all are full of shit.

~Paul

I like olive oil, I'm just scared to go against the will of the group.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2006, 05:48:45 pm
the tastiest thing I have ever eaten, possibly:

anything in Italy.

there.

also: this one time, they gave me mashed potatos with olive oil and some other kind of liquid-tasty, and OH My Goodness they were amazing.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2006, 07:45:22 pm
Why all the hate for olive oil?  It's not like fats are mutually exclusive people!  You can enjoy tasty olive oil, butter, bacon grease, and on and on.  They are not jealous lipids.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2006, 08:06:10 pm
obviously you've never met my main lipid, then. she gets hell of uptight about me thinking about putting any other option on my foods.

think of popeye and olive oyl.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 09, 2006, 08:13:52 pm
I'm now inclined to believe that y'all are full of shit.


Um, there was doubt about this previously?
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Ben-San on November 10, 2006, 03:59:50 am
Why all the hate for olive oil?  It's not like fats are mutually exclusive people!  You can enjoy tasty olive oil, butter, bacon grease, and on and on.  They are not jealous lipids.

All at once?
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Lister on November 10, 2006, 04:18:34 am
Olive oil is good.  I think the sentiment we are seeing expressed here is that butter is also good, and does not deserve to have been replaced so many times in recent years with olive oil.

Why must we fight over two fats when they both taste awesome with garlic and starches?
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2006, 02:34:36 pm
I'm waiting for lard to make a comeback.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: linnea on November 10, 2006, 10:00:37 pm
I'm waiting for lard to make a comeback.

Teodor had something about The Larding Needle, and I pulled up an iconic Julia Child book to figure out WTF that was. Turns out it's an actual hollow needle that you thread through a block o' lard, and then draw the needle through meats such as rabbit, thus leaving a thick "thread" of lard sewn throughout the meat.

*HUUURGH*
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 10, 2006, 10:25:58 pm
In theory it sounds *HUUURGH* but in practice, maybe a lot less so. In a game animal it sounds like doing a 'self marbeling' job to make the dense muscle meat a little more tender tasty.

Y'know what?

No, still *HUUURGH*
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2006, 11:01:59 pm
Well, if you guys are representative of general opinion, I guess I may still have a long time to wait.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: jough on November 12, 2006, 05:33:09 pm
I like butter but don't use it much for anything.

Olive Oil is fine for salads and things, but I probably won't buy any here until I have use for it.  I'll be sure to let you know if and when that ever happens.

I like frying in canola oil and maybe stir-frying in peanut oil with a little dash of sesame oil thrown in for good measure.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: jaydub on November 13, 2006, 10:35:10 pm
Turns out it's an actual hollow needle that you thread through a block o' lard, and then draw the needle through meats such as rabbit, thus leaving a thick "thread" of lard sewn throughout the meat.

*HUUURGH*

You know, every now and then I think about how we have recipes where we put products or pieces of one animal into the flesh of another animal and it gives me "unnatural willies".  Such as wrapping sliced belly of pig around a nice lower back muscle of cow.  Not something you'd find in nature.

Then I remember how tasty animals are and my worries go away.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2006, 04:15:59 am
'm waiting for lard to make a comeback.

In some segments of society it never went away (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/297812514/).

~Paul
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on November 15, 2006, 04:56:40 am
my high school latin teacher proclaimed that in the next 10 years they will start putting some kind of anti-cholesterol medicine in Crisco, and "the south will rise again."
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2006, 05:03:13 am
I consider it one of the great ironies and injustices of our world that pig fat tastes so good yet is so bad for you.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: robot_god on November 15, 2006, 06:40:48 am
Forget fast food, man, if we could get our hands on those artificial meat flavorings McDonald's uses, we could control this world and the next.







We could live like kings!


Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2006, 02:02:53 pm
my high school latin teacher proclaimed that in the next 10 years they will start putting some kind of anti-cholesterol medicine in Crisco, and "the south will rise again."

Wait, "again"?
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 16, 2006, 02:39:00 pm
I would like to drive a thousand miles in a direction.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 16, 2006, 03:30:13 pm
I think Ray's more entertaining when he's ignorant of basic life concepts so I approve of this move.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2006, 04:52:33 pm
Ray is a lucky man. Um, cat. Oh, you know what I mean.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: DanSC on November 25, 2006, 05:00:48 am
Kraftwerk Thanksgiving (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2006/11/kraftwerk-thnksgiving.html)

This is my 2nd favorite blog posting ever, after Pat's post about how fantasies are ridiculous. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving, Kraftwerk or no.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Bimmicus on November 27, 2006, 06:16:39 am
I consider it one of the great ironies and injustices of our world that pig fat tastes so good yet is so bad for you.

Just imagine how the pig feels about it.

Seconding the luf for Kraftwerk Thangsgiving. Pure cheddar.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: dejavroom on November 28, 2006, 11:31:21 am
"I fucked your mother and drew a daisy on her ass". That's the line that'll carry me through today.

Which makes me think about how frustrating it is, for a non-anglophone surrounded by non-anglophones to come to Achewood day after day and find bite-sized conversational appetizers like that, but not being able to share because no one would understand them around here, and the cuss sort of loses impetus when translated. Damn Onstad for making colloquial English so hot in its ass (although Iranian farsis have their share of fun with time-tested entries such as "May you find a fart in your beard" and "I shit on your father's beard").
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: malco on November 28, 2006, 11:56:23 am
Now I know for a fact that lyle loves motorhead all of your magotty uni-student , smarmy insults are negated . YOU HAVE ALL BEEN TRUMPED. You have all been trumped(more polite).
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2006, 03:03:06 pm
If you but Philippe in a blanket he thinks it's night and goes to sleep
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: wombat on November 28, 2006, 03:13:21 pm
Chris through Phillippe's eyes is always a wonderful thing.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Alternate on November 28, 2006, 10:25:16 pm
Quote
ME: Bring the whole box [of straws] so we may make sculptures after the meal

In my family we spent much of our thanksgiving dinner playing with the little umbrellas that came with our drinks.  I'm glad to see roast beef knows how to party as hard as we do. 
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on November 28, 2006, 10:32:29 pm
Belatedly: Kraftwerk Thanksgiving is great. Maybe I can convince The Gentleman Caller to have one next Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: Sub_Topical on November 29, 2006, 01:09:38 am
That is something one would do because it is required although it would pain them to do so.

This post provided to meet the daily required amount of shame.

ACE OF SPADES
Title: Re: November Blogs, 2006
Post by: linnea on November 29, 2006, 04:51:46 am
(although Iranian farsis have their share of fun with time-tested entries such as "May you find a fart in your beard" and "I shit on your father's beard").

Damn, I never knew that the Persians have such colorful epithets. Amazing!