The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 28, 2006, 08:08:48 pm

Title: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: AugustWest on December 28, 2006, 08:08:48 pm
Yikes! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankdempsey/336311050/)
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Choop on December 28, 2006, 08:12:58 pm
Do you ever get deer on your property? Was the head nearby or completely AWOL?

Oh man when I decapitated this snake in my garden last summer its jaw just kept opening and closing for a solid five minutes. Creeped me right out.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: melack on December 28, 2006, 09:17:24 pm
If a snake tried to eat my cell phone, I'd cut that fucker's head off too! I mean, what is that, a Samsung? That's a good phone. You got a good phone like that, you gotta hold onto it.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2006, 09:20:13 pm
when I was younger, we found a decapitated duck in our yard in Chicago. The head was 10 yards away.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Choop on December 28, 2006, 09:55:11 pm
when I was younger, we found a decapitated duck in our yard in Chicago. The head was 10 yards away.

As in 30 feet or 10 houses?
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2006, 10:12:50 pm
30 feet. Maybe that is an exaggeration: I was 7 years old at most at the time.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: AugustWest on December 28, 2006, 10:38:56 pm
If a snake tried to eat my cell phone, I'd cut that fucker's head off too! I mean, what is that, a Samsung? That's a good phone. You got a good phone like that, you gotta hold onto it.

Are you making fun of my cell phone?  Don't make me come over there.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: melack on December 28, 2006, 11:28:39 pm
No way! I have a Samsung, too. I always hear people complain about their phones and how they never have service anywhere, but my Samsung only loses service if I'm in the basement of a heavily fortified building. The thing's awesome.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: V-Adore on December 28, 2006, 11:46:57 pm
when I was younger, we found a decapitated duck in our yard in Chicago. The head was 10 yards away.

This is a sad thing. I'm not sure if it's the saddest, but it's on the list. Was there any apparent cause of decapitation?
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Drygioni on December 28, 2006, 11:49:48 pm
While we're pulling out our Found Dead Things Dicks, I found a dead body in a ditch when I was 6. He'd been hit by a car, but it wasn't too unpleasant overall, there wasn't much blood etc.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2006, 12:32:49 am
Holy shit, Judy. No wonder you are wise beyond your years.

I feel I must say - people, don't go chopping the heads off of snakes, OK?  Even if they are venomous it's almost always better to just stay the hell away. And if they are not, there is no reason to.

But if you do, jeez, don't go throwing the thing at other people's cell phones.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Choop on December 29, 2006, 01:24:56 am
Ordinarily, I wouldn't decapitate anything at all. It's just that my neighbor's dog likes my garden, and is also kind of an idiot. She might not know to stay away from the snake. Rather than risk my neighbor's dog's mortality, I made the tough decision. It was man time, and I came real.

I have to say, it's a good thing the body didn't wriggle around after. I'd probably still be in a padded room.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: linnea on December 29, 2006, 06:24:28 am
Oh god DAMMIT. Did I just click on a link that Frank provided of a decapitated animal?

I'm going to be very pissed off if that is what I discover when I open this other link, Mr. West. I get ENOUGH of that shit at work, thank you very much.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2006, 07:30:13 am
my favorite teacher has a story about his brother as a child-- when confronted with a snake, his grandmother demanded that he go get his gun and "shoot it in its head."

He was so overcome with terror of the snake that he couldn't take aim. So... she dropped a brick on its head.

They are from Alabama.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 29, 2006, 10:59:50 am
Quote from: theinevitable
He was so overcome with terror of the snake that he couldn't take aim. So... she dropped a brick on its head.

They are from Alabama.

Little-Known-Fact #485:

There is a law in Alabama where if you don't know how to use a gun by eight, they kick you out and you have to go live in Ohio.*

THE STORY DOES NOT CHECK OUT.

*also if you can't name four living race car drivers
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Drygioni on December 29, 2006, 11:54:18 am
Judy's Tiresome Yet Obligatory Look-at-me-I'm-British Part

The wildlife here is generally like the Cure: kind of pretty but useless in a fight, and the snakes are no exception. I think the closest I've ever been to an actual dangerous situation with a snake is when I ran one over with my scooter, by accident. It was an adder, the only poisonous snakes in England from what I know. It was a pretty tough thing, because instead of flattening it, my scooter tumbled over it's bulbous body. I cracked my elbow, but the pain did not distract me from the fact that the only poisonous snake in Britain was a metre away with me lying prone. I scrambled away in a Teodor-like fashion, only to watch the snake glare at me a little before disappearing into some nearby reeds.

Sorry to all animal liking guys and gals* here, but I had a rock in my hand and seriously considered braining the poor sod. Maybe I was too young to be watching films like Anaconda.

*I like animals, but I'm also mortally afraid of being bitten.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2006, 01:02:59 pm
Ordinarily, I wouldn't decapitate anything at all.

Well, that's good to know.

I am embarrassed to say that either my geography or my herpetology is so poor that I didn't realize there was a venomous species in Britain. I had it mixed up with Ireland and Saint Patrick chasing them all out, I guess? Education.

Again though I feel compelled to say that if you are afraid of being bitten it is safer not to brain the snake with a rock.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: slink on December 29, 2006, 01:49:42 pm
Mostly my snake contact has always been very controlled, although I've had happy encounters with adders throughout forestry on Scotland. Not the same, but while in Canada we saw this snake (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsj/337307731/) at Niagra. A friend at the wedding who works in a reptile house said it was somewhat rare for the area but we didn't identify it and so have no idea. I ended up moving it as shortly after a bunch of kids arrived and started tormenting it since it had nowhere to hide. Any ideas what it is? Or is it just really boring afterall?
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2006, 03:11:19 pm
Just be certain we're clear on this -- we did not decapitate the snake.  It was headless when we found it.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2006, 03:14:46 pm
Just be certain we're clear on this -- we did not decapitate the snake.  It was headless when we found it.

I must've fallen off a truck like that. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2006, 03:41:26 pm
You know, if I cut a snake in half, the part I'd want to toss away would be the head. I mean, that's the dangerous part.  Maybe someone thought you were the kind of person who would appreciate some nice fresh snake meat to fry up?

Slink: Maritime garter snake? (http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/USsnakes/thasirpal.htm)  Which I guess is rare in Ontario since everything I find talks about it in Nova Scotia?
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: Choop on December 29, 2006, 03:53:02 pm
What's in the box, Frank?

What's in the box?

WHAT'S IN THE BOX, FRANK?
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: slink on December 29, 2006, 04:37:46 pm
Slink: Maritime garter snake? (http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/USsnakes/thasirpal.htm)  Which I guess is rare in Ontario since everything I find talks about it in Nova Scotia?

Figured it would still be Canadian at the very least. Thanks for the info though. A can to you!
Title: Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
Post by: V-Adore on December 29, 2006, 10:46:53 pm
I am embarrassed to say that either my geography or my herpetology is so poor that I didn't realize there was a venomous species in Britain. I had it mixed up with Ireland and Saint Patrick chasing them all out, I guess? Education.

Well, what do you think they're doing in Britain, anyway?

(Answer: biding their time.)