The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 09, 2007, 10:18:23 pm

Title: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2007, 10:18:23 pm
http://www.apple.com/iphone/ (http://www.apple.com/iphone/)

awesome. awesome. awesome.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 09, 2007, 10:26:00 pm
Well, fuck me. Apple have found another way to turn inanimate objects into something I wish to kiss and marry.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: linnea on January 09, 2007, 10:30:57 pm
UNGH!! God dammit, only Cingular is going to carry it.

Do you think that it'll be available unlocked and will take a SIM chip? Cos then I could just get one on eBay and use it out here. (We are so remote that nobody else's cell phones will work out here. We have a cell phone company here but my phone won't work anywhere else because they haven't arranged for reciprocity with other carriers for when we travel to Anchorage or the lower 48).
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2007, 10:50:58 pm
UNGH!! God dammit, only Cingular is going to carry it.

Do you think that it'll be available unlocked and will take a SIM chip? Cos then I could just get one on eBay and use it out here. (We are so remote that nobody else's cell phones will work out here. We have a cell phone company here but my phone won't work anywhere else because they haven't arranged for reciprocity with other carriers for when we travel to Anchorage or the lower 48).

IIRC Cingular uses GSM and their other phones allow SIM swapping. My main playlist is around 7GB so I suppose the larger iPhone could work in theory.

Of course right now my cell bill is like $10/year so I don't really see the point of an expensive phone.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: jough on January 10, 2007, 02:05:57 am
I still have 22 months to go with Sprint, but thanks anyway, Apple.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: innes on January 10, 2007, 10:51:21 am
I was all set to snurk derisively at peoples' Apple fetishism, but having looked at that page, well - that device looks very very lovely. It's a device that I would like to touch and make use of and own. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep contentedly gazing at that device nestling on my bedside table.

Did you see the two-finger zoom thing? That's clever.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 10, 2007, 04:15:50 pm
It's cool, neat and clever but for $5/600 I guess I'll live with the Palm/Nano/Razr triplets for a few years. Gotta hit ROI on thems.

Plus, I just completed a Cingular contract and bailed for a Same Service/$20 less a month carrier who's doing fine so far.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: slink on January 10, 2007, 10:47:36 pm
I watched the keynote. 'Cause I'm a terrible geek, and the typical 'aren't we so great, we invented the penis'  shit aside, the iphone is very nice. Finally the UI I've been waiting for and basically the options I want too. Alas it's an ipod though...
And it costs about what an Apple product ought too. I am concerned as to who it will be partnered with network wise over here though, and how open it's going to be despite being unix based. If it's gimped to what you get, I'm not going to be nearly as into it. If you can replace the ipod part with say, a rockbox port, I'd go for it no further questions asked.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2007, 11:01:20 pm
Not Unix. BSD.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: slink on January 11, 2007, 06:04:33 pm
Not Unix. BSD.

Ah yes, please excuse my idiocy. I was just trying my best to have people say 'no no, really, you're not an horrendous nerd'.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: side_show on January 11, 2007, 08:34:08 pm
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone.  And usually that's a good feeling, but now... oh... 

Those sexy apple products.  It's really best if I forget it exists.  It's really best.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 11, 2007, 08:43:36 pm
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone.  And usually that a good feeling, but now... oh... 

Someone else too! Would you like a No Ear Cancer Here :) badge?
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: smick on January 11, 2007, 09:03:21 pm
Whoa whoa whoa... Judy... Aren't you in England?  Aren't there more mobile phones there than people?

How do you not have a mobile phone?  Do people throw rotten fruits and vegetables at you?

YAH!  SHOO!  GIT!  RIGHT OUT OF TOWN, PARIAH!
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: CortJstr on January 11, 2007, 09:18:30 pm
I'm just glad that it has a replacable battery and no insane Minimum Advertised Price! Finally Apple gets some common sense!

What? Oh.

Nevermind.


Having one less device to carry around (without sacrificing function) and the accelerometer are pretty badass, though.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 11, 2007, 09:33:24 pm
Whoa whoa whoa... Judy... Aren't you in England?  Aren't there more mobile phones there than people?

How do you not have a mobile phone?  Do people throw rotten fruits and vegetables at you?

YAH!  SHOO!  GIT!  RIGHT OUT OF TOWN, PARIAH!

Although what you say about mobile phone population in relation to human population is true, Britain also has more nuclear bombs than it does mobile phone service masts.

There's no service out here. Why, if I bought a phone... they'd laugh at me!
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: jaydub on January 11, 2007, 09:44:23 pm
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone. 

My niece doesn't either.  She's washed two of the suckers in the laundry and I won't spring for a third.  Somehow this makes me evil incarnate.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: smick on January 11, 2007, 09:57:12 pm
The Big Express.  Certainly a nice choice.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 11, 2007, 10:01:58 pm
The Big Express.  Certainly a nice choice.

The XTC album?
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: theinevitable on January 12, 2007, 12:51:54 am
Judy-- but, I mean, considering Britain is rather small, wouldn't you only need 3 or 4 masts? that seems a good number.

I believe an Experiment was carried out to determine how many masts are needed.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: smick on January 12, 2007, 01:54:50 am
The XTC album?

Yes, sorry, first time I've seen your sig.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 12, 2007, 07:45:06 am
Yes, sorry, first time I've seen your sig.

While it does not live up to the excellence of Black Sea, the Big Express remains as one of XTC's most overlooked albums. Plus, All You Pretty Girls is an awesome song.

Are you a fan, Smick? I thought I was the only one!
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: innes on January 12, 2007, 11:06:00 am
...considering Britain is rather small, wouldn't you only need 3 or 4 masts? that seems a good number.

On the face of it that's right, but our traditional three-foot thick yak-excrement-and-gravel hut walls don't let mobile-phone signals through very well.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: smick on January 12, 2007, 03:31:08 pm

Are you a fan, Smick? I thought I was the only one!

They've got so many albums, it's kind of hard to be a completionist with them, but I've got The Big Express, I lost Oranges and Lemons in High School, Skylarking, and Nonsuch.

Normally I'd say yes, since I have 4 of their albums, I'd be a fan, but they have so many more I feel like I've only scratched the surface.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: Drygioni on January 12, 2007, 04:01:07 pm
They've got so many albums, it's kind of hard to be a completionist with them, but I've got The Big Express, I lost Oranges and Lemons in High School, Skylarking, and Nonsuch.

Normally I'd say yes, since I have 4 of their albums, I'd be a fan, but they have so many more I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Oooooh. Ooooooh. You're missing out super badly. While I love all four albums you've mentioned, I think the Drums & Wires/Black Sea/English Settlement period represents their best work, especially in the case of Black Sea. However, it does depend; the albums I've just mentioned are before they stopped touring, and as such are more akin to rock and punk than the lush pop of Skylarking onwards.

Seriously, I hate to gush but they are easily one of my favourite bands. Like you say, they have many albums, but EVERY SINGLE ONE is fuck*ng worth it. Probably not available in all good record stores, but give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Also, have a can for some reason.
Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: smick on January 12, 2007, 07:21:47 pm
Well, I first ran into them as a young child in the early days of MTV, watching "Mayor of Simpleton".  Then later on when I did the college radio thing the "Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" came out, and I started picking up albums.

I'll most certainly check out their earlier stuff.   (Also, I now have to pick up Oranges and Lemons again, since I'm having a hankering for Mayor of Simpleton, Mr. Skeleton, and Garden of Earthly Delights)

Title: Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 25, 2007, 09:31:40 am
For my money Apple TV seems like the thing I would buy.  If that came in 200 GB and they made a nano the exact same as it is with like 20 gb and a phone built in I would totally be an apple fanboy in seconds.  I would give 600$ for those two combined.  I have to think that within 2 or 3 years I will be able to do that.

Seriously, 200 gigs would make that worth it.  As it is, you have what is on your computer and 40gb.  Well, I have an old laptop, so that means 80gb total.  I will probably buy a new laptop within a year, but as I have an external harddrive, it is not really important to me how much space there is.  I like music a whole lot.  I like about 5 tv shows that I have downloaded.  I have about 6 movies that I like (4 of which are based on music).  This would hold all of that, plus about 10 gigs for later, which would be about the best thing ever to go with an ipod nano.