Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.  (Read 5998 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:18:23 pm »

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

awesome. awesome. awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

Well, fuck me. Apple have found another way to turn inanimate objects into something I wish to kiss and marry.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:57 pm »

UNGH!! God dammit, only Cingular is going to carry it.

Do you think that it'll be available unlocked and will take a SIM chip? Cos then I could just get one on eBay and use it out here. (We are so remote that nobody else's cell phones will work out here. We have a cell phone company here but my phone won't work anywhere else because they haven't arranged for reciprocity with other carriers for when we travel to Anchorage or the lower 48).
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:58 pm »

UNGH!! God dammit, only Cingular is going to carry it.

Do you think that it'll be available unlocked and will take a SIM chip? Cos then I could just get one on eBay and use it out here. (We are so remote that nobody else's cell phones will work out here. We have a cell phone company here but my phone won't work anywhere else because they haven't arranged for reciprocity with other carriers for when we travel to Anchorage or the lower 48).

IIRC Cingular uses GSM and their other phones allow SIM swapping. My main playlist is around 7GB so I suppose the larger iPhone could work in theory.

Of course right now my cell bill is like $10/year so I don't really see the point of an expensive phone.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:05:57 am »

I still have 22 months to go with Sprint, but thanks anyway, Apple.

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:51:21 am »

I was all set to snurk derisively at peoples' Apple fetishism, but having looked at that page, well - that device looks very very lovely. It's a device that I would like to touch and make use of and own. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep contentedly gazing at that device nestling on my bedside table.

Did you see the two-finger zoom thing? That's clever.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:55:59 am by innes »
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:15:50 pm »

It's cool, neat and clever but for $5/600 I guess I'll live with the Palm/Nano/Razr triplets for a few years. Gotta hit ROI on thems.

Plus, I just completed a Cingular contract and bailed for a Same Service/$20 less a month carrier who's doing fine so far.
Logged
We must repeat!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:36 pm »

I watched the keynote. 'Cause I'm a terrible geek, and the typical 'aren't we so great, we invented the penis'  shit aside, the iphone is very nice. Finally the UI I've been waiting for and basically the options I want too. Alas it's an ipod though...
And it costs about what an Apple product ought too. I am concerned as to who it will be partnered with network wise over here though, and how open it's going to be despite being unix based. If it's gimped to what you get, I'm not going to be nearly as into it. If you can replace the ipod part with say, a rockbox port, I'd go for it no further questions asked.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:01:20 pm »

Not Unix. BSD.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 06:04:33 pm »

Not Unix. BSD.

Ah yes, please excuse my idiocy. I was just trying my best to have people say 'no no, really, you're not an horrendous nerd'.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 08:34:08 pm »

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone.  And usually that's a good feeling, but now... oh... 

Those sexy apple products.  It's really best if I forget it exists.  It's really best.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:00:27 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 08:43:36 pm »

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone.  And usually that a good feeling, but now... oh... 

Someone else too! Would you like a No Ear Cancer Here :) badge?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:21 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa... Judy... Aren't you in England?  Aren't there more mobile phones there than people?

How do you not have a mobile phone?  Do people throw rotten fruits and vegetables at you?

YAH!  SHOO!  GIT!  RIGHT OUT OF TOWN, PARIAH!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:30 pm »

I'm just glad that it has a replacable battery and no insane Minimum Advertised Price! Finally Apple gets some common sense!

What? Oh.

Nevermind.


Having one less device to carry around (without sacrificing function) and the accelerometer are pretty badass, though.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33:24 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa... Judy... Aren't you in England?  Aren't there more mobile phones there than people?

How do you not have a mobile phone?  Do people throw rotten fruits and vegetables at you?

YAH!  SHOO!  GIT!  RIGHT OUT OF TOWN, PARIAH!

Although what you say about mobile phone population in relation to human population is true, Britain also has more nuclear bombs than it does mobile phone service masts.

There's no service out here. Why, if I bought a phone... they'd laugh at me!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up