The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: side_show on January 12, 2007, 02:33:09 pm

Title: swearing at the sky...
Post by: side_show on January 12, 2007, 02:33:09 pm
It is so cold today that I am angry at the air.  It is - 35 F, but with the windchill it is -49 F.  This morning our door was frozen to the frame and the entire dead bolt had seized up.  It seemed like almost psychotic behavior to go to so much trouble to leave the house in this state, but we did it.  All running around with a hair dryer and squinting through the ice fog.  I have done oh so much cursing this morning.  Fuck you winter!
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 12, 2007, 03:03:44 pm
Think of it in Celsius and maybe it won't hurt so bad...

It got down to 36dF last night out here and people are acting like it's the coldest.day.ever. I'm originally from S.Dak. so it all seems so...silly. I mean shit, it rarely gets cold enough to worry about bum-kill-off out here.

BOT: Sorry you have to wait a few more months before mr. sun can do a proper hack at his warming bit side of the job.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Gimpson on January 12, 2007, 09:40:51 pm
We're barely below freezing, so it's Midwest Ice Storm Time!  I am sorry that it is far too many negative degrees, though.  I could not handle that many degrees below zero.  This is why my next move is further south.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 12, 2007, 09:42:30 pm
I bought 50 dollar tickets for a Hornets Wizards game tonight, and, as Gimpson said, it is Midwest Ice Storm time.  I am horrible at driving in the ice, but I really want to see Gilbert Arenas play.  Maybe not enough to die though.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 12, 2007, 09:51:26 pm
It's gonna drop below freezing in much of Los Angeles at night, over the weekend.

The television news is freaking out extensively over this.

I, myself, have finally broken out a light jacket for the first time this winter.

Everybody else is in five layers. I must look like a tourist.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 12, 2007, 09:57:49 pm
I went to the grocery store last night, after not ever watching the local news, and right when I got there there were no carts, so that was pretty weird.   Anyways, everybody was freakin about this 2 days of ice we are going to be getting-- I was just getting groceries.  I shopped for 45- an hour (the were completely out of such things as heinz ketchup, crunchy natural peanut butter, the bread I like, milk (2%)), then I had to stand in line for over an hour to check out.  Then, there were like 8 people I saw throughout the store just buying like 15 2 liters of Pepsi one and shit, and one of them was checking out behind me.  She dropped 2 two-liters right on my bread AHHH.

People in Oklahoma suck, and get scared of snow easily.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 12, 2007, 10:59:52 pm
I, myself, have finally broken out a light jacket for the first time this winter.

Everybody else is in five layers. I must look like a tourist.

I have that same problem. I wandered into work in a polo shirt and jeans and got the crazy guy stink eye from the other office dwellers who broke out the furry russian hat chic stuff. Cold weather doesn't bother me but that doesn't mean I miss it much.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2007, 11:09:24 pm
It is so cold today that I am angry at the air.  It is - 35 F, but with the windchill it is -49 F.  This morning our door was frozen to the frame and the entire dead bolt had seized up.  It seemed like almost psychotic behavior to go to so much trouble to leave the house in this state, but we did it.  All running around with a hair dryer and squinting through the ice fog.  I have done oh so much cursing this morning.  Fuck you winter!

It's currently about 40 degrees in PDX and -15 degrees in Prudhoe. Of course with the wind chill, it's -50 . . . which brings us full circle. Side_show, stay bundled up! That poor little kitty!
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: linnea on January 13, 2007, 02:53:43 am
I went to the grocery store last night, after not ever watching the local news, and right when I got there there were no carts, so that was pretty weird.   Anyways, everybody was freakin about this 2 days of ice we are going to be getting-- I was just getting groceries.  I shopped for 45- an hour (the were completely out of such things as heinz ketchup, crunchy natural peanut butter, the bread I like, milk (2%)), then I had to stand in line for over an hour to check out.  Then, there were like 8 people I saw throughout the store just buying like 15 2 liters of Pepsi one and shit, and one of them was checking out behind me.  She dropped 2 two-liters right on my bread AHHH.

People in Oklahoma suck, and get scared of snow easily.

KH distinguishes himself as a dude of class by refusing to stoop to the Hunt's.

It's been fuck*ng cold here, too, but today wasn't so bad. We had...SUNSHINE! It was crazy. I only had to work half a day on Tuesday because there were 90-mile-an-hour winds and they pretty much closed everything down.  The only upside to all that rain and wind is that most of the snow melted.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 13, 2007, 04:01:30 am
I bought 50 dollar tickets for a Hornets Wizards game tonight, and, as Gimpson said, it is Midwest Ice Storm time.  I am horrible at driving in the ice, but I really want to see Gilbert Arenas play.  Maybe not enough to die though.

But his swag is phenomenal!
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 13, 2007, 04:52:34 am
Nice.  I went, but he was definately on medium swag tonight.  He needed to take a shower in his jersey at halftime. 

Also, the problem with the roads is that it sleeted for like 3 hours, but the roads were still horrible.  It never snows, so when it does the cities can't deal with it.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: melack on January 13, 2007, 06:02:42 am
I watched the Wiz/Hornets game tonight. I would definitely agree with you on Gil's swag. In fact, I might even go as far as to say his swag was only at about 1/4 on the evening. And yet they still managed to lose to the Hornets, who are missing both Chris Paul and the withered husk of Peja Stojakavic. Be glad you saw the game live, the guy on ESPN took all of Gil's clever eccentricities like "the takeover" and "hibachi!" and ran them into the goddamn ground.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 15, 2007, 02:54:41 pm
Here is the interview from whence the swag comment comes (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/01/my_swag_was_phenomenal.html).

And here is video of Gil hitting a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/01/caron_butler_channels_gilbert.html) like it weren't no thing.  The above interview was after this game.

He's a great player, and he's a real character.  He's a workaholic, a real perfectionist at this basketball thing.  He also loves video games.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: melack on January 15, 2007, 06:05:28 pm
Gil is the most genuinely likeable player in the NBA right now. His combination of personality and skill equate to the biggest breath of fresh air in American professional sports. Even when he goes and has a gaudy million dollar birthday party, he manages to come back down to earth when he's later quoted as saying he didn't have a very good time because he was too busy worrying about everyone else having fun.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 15, 2007, 07:11:58 pm
Even though I brought it up, I think we talked about this when I posted his blog.  This was the first professional sports game of any type I have been to since my LL baseball team would go to texas rangers games, where I got to play pool baseball with a player who I view in the same way I view Gilbert Arenas (but, like a million times better since I was a kid and he is from my hometown); Joe Carter.  So yeah, I really like Arenas.

Anyhow, it isn't that easy to go to pro sports in OKC, but this was well worth it, even on an off night.  The guy carries himself so well, yet he is also insane.  Insane in a good way, that isn't around in sports or celebrity anymore.  The Sports Guy has a the "Tyson Zone" where he puts players that he could hear anything about and not be surprised.  There should be a "Zero Zone" for the same thing, but not murder, rape, steroids, dui, etc.  Like his altitude tent or Hibachi or swag or...
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: linnea on January 15, 2007, 09:05:31 pm
back to the weather... Lennybruce is interfering with this post, and I've just had some awful dental work done. Dammit, my mouth hurts. This sucks. Being in the dentists chair for 2 hours sucks. I'm getting a crown on one of my teeth and some fillings. Bah.

Anyway, it's bitterly cold here and I bet we'll be getting yet another storm. Ahhh, winter in Alaska. Just what I bargained for. 
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2007, 09:10:49 pm
Oh man, last night we went out to get some tasty gyros and when we came back both the front and back doors had seized up so bad the keys wouldn't even go in to the locks.  It was so scary cold that after about 60 minutes of fiddling I could feel the frostbite taking over my toes, my SO had broken off part of his key in the front door, and we had to go to the 7-11 to warm up.  We fiddled a little more, with no luck with the light by the door burnt out and the exterior plug powered off due to mother-fuck*ng-timer being off. I was suddenly able to think straight and we borrowed our neighbour's hair dryer and an extension cord to melt things down and get inside.  We've been pumping the doors full of non-liquid lock de-icer (Jig-a-Loo) but it only keeps things working for about 12 hrs, then it all seizes up again.  Fuck you winter.  Fuck you.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2007, 09:20:26 pm
We're not actually having any winter here right now, but I do feel your pain.

(http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/fuckwinter.jpg)
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: theinevitable on January 15, 2007, 09:30:12 pm
yeah. In charlotte it was in the 60-70's.

Right now it is "light snow"ing in St Louis.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 15, 2007, 09:30:53 pm
Wombat, that absolutely rocks!
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: linnea on January 15, 2007, 10:02:42 pm
Oh man, last night we went out to get some tasty gyros and when we came back both the front and back doors had seized up so bad the keys wouldn't even go in to the locks.  It was so scary cold that after about 60 minutes of fiddling I could feel the frostbite taking over my toes, my SO had broken off part of his key in the front door, and we had to go to the 7-11 to warm up.  We fiddled a little more, with no luck with the light by the door burnt out and the exterior plug powered off due to mother-fuck*ng-timer being off. I was suddenly able to think straight and we borrowed our neighbour's hair dryer and an extension cord to melt things down and get inside.  We've been pumping the doors full of non-liquid lock de-icer (Jig-a-Loo) but it only keeps things working for about 12 hrs, then it all seizes up again.  Fuck you winter.  Fuck you.

AAAAUUUGH! This has happened to me so many times that it's not funny. My door faces the bay, so I get freezing-ass wind that comes screaming off the ocean and sprays water into my lock, which freezes shut.

I keep a mini canister of de-icer in my coat pocket. After I dried the lock with a hair dryer and wiped it dry with a towel, I covered the door handle and lock with a sheet of bubble wrap and secure it with a rubber band. This keeps the blowing sea air and ice from getting inside. It keeps the lock dry.

The best solution would be to get a storm door to cover your front door. If that's impossible or impractical, try covering the lock. I haven't had to deal with a lock filled with ice since I devised my covering concept.

Wombat...did you make that snow sculpture? That's rad.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: wombat on January 16, 2007, 12:58:50 am
I am afraid that I am not so clever - that that snow sculpture photo is something I found on the internet last winter. I feel terrible that I don't even know who did it.

However, I feel GREAT that we haven't had enough snow to make a sculpture like that in more years than I can remember.  And it was in the mid 60s today.  I am sorry but, this whole global-warming planet-destruction thing really rocks.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: Limmo on January 16, 2007, 04:26:04 pm
Everybody else is in five layers. I must look like a tourist.

You fuck*ng tourist, you.
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: pmcd9 on January 18, 2007, 05:51:40 am
Here's one for you Limmo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/)
Title: Re: swearing at the sky...
Post by: side_show on January 18, 2007, 03:03:33 pm
Here's one for you Limmo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/)

what the hell?

The term "lechery" comes to mind.