Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: swearing at the sky...  (Read 4847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
swearing at the sky...
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:33:09 pm »

It is so cold today that I am angry at the air.  It is - 35 F, but with the windchill it is -49 F.  This morning our door was frozen to the frame and the entire dead bolt had seized up.  It seemed like almost psychotic behavior to go to so much trouble to leave the house in this state, but we did it.  All running around with a hair dryer and squinting through the ice fog.  I have done oh so much cursing this morning.  Fuck you winter!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:03:44 pm »

Think of it in Celsius and maybe it won't hurt so bad...

It got down to 36dF last night out here and people are acting like it's the coldest.day.ever. I'm originally from S.Dak. so it all seems so...silly. I mean shit, it rarely gets cold enough to worry about bum-kill-off out here.

BOT: Sorry you have to wait a few more months before mr. sun can do a proper hack at his warming bit side of the job.
Logged
We must repeat!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:40:51 pm »

We're barely below freezing, so it's Midwest Ice Storm Time!  I am sorry that it is far too many negative degrees, though.  I could not handle that many degrees below zero.  This is why my next move is further south.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »

I bought 50 dollar tickets for a Hornets Wizards game tonight, and, as Gimpson said, it is Midwest Ice Storm time.  I am horrible at driving in the ice, but I really want to see Gilbert Arenas play.  Maybe not enough to die though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:51:26 pm »

It's gonna drop below freezing in much of Los Angeles at night, over the weekend.

The television news is freaking out extensively over this.

I, myself, have finally broken out a light jacket for the first time this winter.

Everybody else is in five layers. I must look like a tourist.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:57:49 pm »

I went to the grocery store last night, after not ever watching the local news, and right when I got there there were no carts, so that was pretty weird.   Anyways, everybody was freakin about this 2 days of ice we are going to be getting-- I was just getting groceries.  I shopped for 45- an hour (the were completely out of such things as heinz ketchup, crunchy natural peanut butter, the bread I like, milk (2%)), then I had to stand in line for over an hour to check out.  Then, there were like 8 people I saw throughout the store just buying like 15 2 liters of Pepsi one and shit, and one of them was checking out behind me.  She dropped 2 two-liters right on my bread AHHH.

People in Oklahoma suck, and get scared of snow easily.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:59:52 pm »

I, myself, have finally broken out a light jacket for the first time this winter.

Everybody else is in five layers. I must look like a tourist.

I have that same problem. I wandered into work in a polo shirt and jeans and got the crazy guy stink eye from the other office dwellers who broke out the furry russian hat chic stuff. Cold weather doesn't bother me but that doesn't mean I miss it much.
Logged
We must repeat!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:09:24 pm »

It is so cold today that I am angry at the air.  It is - 35 F, but with the windchill it is -49 F.  This morning our door was frozen to the frame and the entire dead bolt had seized up.  It seemed like almost psychotic behavior to go to so much trouble to leave the house in this state, but we did it.  All running around with a hair dryer and squinting through the ice fog.  I have done oh so much cursing this morning.  Fuck you winter!

It's currently about 40 degrees in PDX and -15 degrees in Prudhoe. Of course with the wind chill, it's -50 . . . which brings us full circle. Side_show, stay bundled up! That poor little kitty!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:53:43 am »

I went to the grocery store last night, after not ever watching the local news, and right when I got there there were no carts, so that was pretty weird.   Anyways, everybody was freakin about this 2 days of ice we are going to be getting-- I was just getting groceries.  I shopped for 45- an hour (the were completely out of such things as heinz ketchup, crunchy natural peanut butter, the bread I like, milk (2%)), then I had to stand in line for over an hour to check out.  Then, there were like 8 people I saw throughout the store just buying like 15 2 liters of Pepsi one and shit, and one of them was checking out behind me.  She dropped 2 two-liters right on my bread AHHH.

People in Oklahoma suck, and get scared of snow easily.

KH distinguishes himself as a dude of class by refusing to stoop to the Hunt's.

It's been fuck*ng cold here, too, but today wasn't so bad. We had...SUNSHINE! It was crazy. I only had to work half a day on Tuesday because there were 90-mile-an-hour winds and they pretty much closed everything down.  The only upside to all that rain and wind is that most of the snow melted.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 04:01:30 am »

I bought 50 dollar tickets for a Hornets Wizards game tonight, and, as Gimpson said, it is Midwest Ice Storm time.  I am horrible at driving in the ice, but I really want to see Gilbert Arenas play.  Maybe not enough to die though.

But his swag is phenomenal!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 04:52:34 am »

Nice.  I went, but he was definately on medium swag tonight.  He needed to take a shower in his jersey at halftime. 

Also, the problem with the roads is that it sleeted for like 3 hours, but the roads were still horrible.  It never snows, so when it does the cities can't deal with it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:20:44 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 06:02:42 am »

I watched the Wiz/Hornets game tonight. I would definitely agree with you on Gil's swag. In fact, I might even go as far as to say his swag was only at about 1/4 on the evening. And yet they still managed to lose to the Hornets, who are missing both Chris Paul and the withered husk of Peja Stojakavic. Be glad you saw the game live, the guy on ESPN took all of Gil's clever eccentricities like "the takeover" and "hibachi!" and ran them into the goddamn ground.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 02:54:41 pm »

Here is the interview from whence the swag comment comes.

And here is video of Gil hitting a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win like it weren't no thing.  The above interview was after this game.

He's a great player, and he's a real character.  He's a workaholic, a real perfectionist at this basketball thing.  He also loves video games.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:05:28 pm »

Gil is the most genuinely likeable player in the NBA right now. His combination of personality and skill equate to the biggest breath of fresh air in American professional sports. Even when he goes and has a gaudy million dollar birthday party, he manages to come back down to earth when he's later quoted as saying he didn't have a very good time because he was too busy worrying about everyone else having fun.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: swearing at the sky...
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 07:11:58 pm »

Even though I brought it up, I think we talked about this when I posted his blog.  This was the first professional sports game of any type I have been to since my LL baseball team would go to texas rangers games, where I got to play pool baseball with a player who I view in the same way I view Gilbert Arenas (but, like a million times better since I was a kid and he is from my hometown); Joe Carter.  So yeah, I really like Arenas.

Anyhow, it isn't that easy to go to pro sports in OKC, but this was well worth it, even on an off night.  The guy carries himself so well, yet he is also insane.  Insane in a good way, that isn't around in sports or celebrity anymore.  The Sports Guy has a the "Tyson Zone" where he puts players that he could hear anything about and not be surprised.  There should be a "Zero Zone" for the same thing, but not murder, rape, steroids, dui, etc.  Like his altitude tent or Hibachi or swag or...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up