The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: PinkStainlessTail on September 26, 2003, 03:58:48 pm

Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 26, 2003, 03:58:48 pm
Not a radio show, not a crap American movie, but a genuine return of the TV series.News here (http://www0.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2003/09/26/7012.shtml), straight from Auntie, so it's probably legit.
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2003, 04:32:03 pm
But wait, aren't they fresh out of doctors? I mean the man only get so many regenerations! Meh, just bring back Tom Baker to make 97.642% of the people happy.
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 26, 2003, 05:01:15 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But wait, aren't they fresh out of doctors? I mean the man only get so many regenerations! Meh, just bring back Tom Baker to make 97.642% of the people happy.


There's seven regenerations left, six if one counts the movie.

If I remember correctly, Tom Baker is, um, "in need of a quiet life" these days. One with lots of breaks for tea and lithium. Or is he all better now?
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on September 26, 2003, 05:19:31 pm
I'm definitely adding the word "geekgasm" to my lexicon.
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2003, 05:24:21 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But wait, aren't they fresh out of doctors? I mean the man only get so many regenerations! Meh, just bring back Tom Baker to make 97.642% of the people happy.


There's seven regenerations left, six if one counts the movie.

If I remember correctly, Tom Baker is, um, "in need of a quiet life" these days. One with lots of breaks for tea and lithium. Or is he all better now?


See now I thought they only got like 7 total and the movie had # 7 in it.
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 26, 2003, 05:34:38 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

See now I thought they only got like 7 total and the movie had # 7 in it.


We're both wrong: 12 total according to this (http://www.textfiles.com/sf/drwho_fa). So six left, five if they count the movie.
Title: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: slink on September 26, 2003, 07:41:29 pm
For all this Dr Who talk...

http://www.canadian-studies.net/slink/bb-doctor.mp3

The Belgian Jazz version of the theme by Bill Bailey.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 03:54:14 pm
So, I've been watching the series. Seasons 1 - 3 are available on Netflix Instant, and season 4 is available on DVD. I'm on Episode 12 of season 3. Anyone else watching?

Favorite episode so far: Blink (season 3 episode 10, by Stephen Moffat of course, that man is a frikking genius).

Please tag spoilers appropriately.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 04, 2009, 04:35:55 pm
So, I've been watching the series. Seasons 1 - 3 are available on Netflix Instant, and season 4 is available on DVD. I'm on Episode 12 of season 3. Anyone else watching?

Favorite episode so far: Blink (season 3 episode 10, by Stephen Moffat of course, that man is a frikking genius).

Please tag spoilers appropriately.

I've seen every single episode.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 04:45:59 pm
So...what's your favorite?
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 04, 2009, 07:55:02 pm
So...what's your favorite?

Out of the new ones, The Girl in the Fireplace, with Blink a very close second.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2009, 08:03:30 pm
I am trying to get my friend hooked on Doctor Who, and The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink are the 2 episodes I've chosen as her introduction to the series. I liked TGitF very much, and she's a Euro-His geek so I thought she'd particularly dig it.

Have you seen all the old ones, too, VW? I have a few of the old Douglas Adams eps in my queue but haven't gotten round to them yet.

I tried to watch a First Doctor/first season, and couldn't get through it. I have a hard time with black and white in general, though. 

Anybody else? Somebody out there MUST have an opinion about the eleventh doctor, coming in 2010. Personally, I very much prefer the David Tennant's 10th doctor over Christopher Eccleston's 9th, and I'm very sad to see him go. This Matt Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleventh_Doctor) guy is much to TV-pretty, IMHO.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 04, 2009, 10:00:44 pm
Yup, I've seen all the old ones, too. (Except for the 108 episodes that the BBC trashed in the 60s and 70s, and then couldn't find any remaining copies of when the home video market took off, but for all of those I've seen fan-made reconstructions made by combining the soundtrack that fans had taped off-air in the 60s with still photos taken for the BBC archives.)

The black-and-white era is my favourite of the entire series.

I am trying to get my friend hooked on Doctor Who, and The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink are the 2 episodes I've chosen as her introduction to the series. I liked TGitF very much, and she's a Euro-His geek so I thought she'd particularly dig it.

Have you seen all the old ones, too, VW? I have a few of the old Douglas Adams eps in my queue but haven't gotten round to them yet.

I tried to watch a First Doctor/first season, and couldn't get through it. I have a hard time with black and white in general, though. 

Anybody else? Somebody out there MUST have an opinion about the eleventh doctor, coming in 2010. Personally, I very much prefer the David Tennant's 10th doctor over Christopher Eccleston's 9th, and I'm very sad to see him go. This Matt Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleventh_Doctor) guy is much to TV-pretty, IMHO.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 05, 2009, 06:47:23 am
we are watching BLINK

RIGHT fuck*ng NOW
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: smick on December 05, 2009, 04:31:48 pm
Yup, I've seen all the old ones, too. (Except for the 108 episodes that the BBC trashed in the 60s and 70s, and then couldn't find any remaining copies of when the home video market took off, but for all of those I've seen fan-made reconstructions made by combining the soundtrack that fans had taped off-air in the 60s with still photos taken for the BBC archives.)

The black-and-white era is my favourite of the entire series.


I haven't seen any of the Hartnell doctor, but I have to say Victoria, your Doctor is my favorite of the old doctors.   New doctors... tough call.   I like 9 and 10 each for their own reasons.  If I HAD to choose, I'd go 10, but only because he has a larger corpus, so I've gotten to know him more.   If 9 went a few more seasons, that'd be a tough call.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 06, 2009, 04:03:30 am
OMG, "The Last of the Time Lords."

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Really, Russell T. Davies? Seriously? I've seen the same plot device in the Care Bears II. I'm kind of disappointed, although the final scene between The Doctor and The Master was kind of heart-wrenching.


Eh. On to season 4.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Toaster on December 16, 2009, 05:26:27 am
I can't watch "Midnight". It makes me have Emotions.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Drygioni on December 16, 2009, 12:57:45 pm
Christopher Ecclestone was definitely better in my opinion, though I did like both.

Christmas Day Doctor Who is the best thing ever.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 16, 2009, 02:29:45 pm
Christopher Ecclestone was definitely better in my opinion, though I did like both.

Christmas Day Doctor Who is the best thing ever.

I guess a lot of people really liked Eccleston? I dunno, he looks like the youth pastor at my church, of whose intelligence I have a low opinion. So that kind of ruined it for me.

Tennant is just yummy. Tho I've been watching Baker episodes and I do understand why he's so popular, too. Not as pleasant to look at as Tennant, but he definitely has that je ne sais quois that makes you believe he's seen it all.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2009, 03:23:41 pm
Tho I've been watching Baker episodes and I do understand why he's so popular, too.

I watched these years ago on PBS and it is all the Doctor Who I feel I need. The idea that he is played by different actors is a cool one, but I don't feel like I need to actually see it done.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Drygioni on December 26, 2009, 01:02:08 am
Bollocks. Fell asleep watching the Christmas special.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 26, 2009, 01:08:53 am
Bollocks. Fell asleep watching the Christmas special.

the dogs bollocks?
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 26, 2009, 01:22:36 am
Sandra Bollocks?
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Drygioni on December 26, 2009, 01:38:18 am
the dogs bollocks?

Evidently not, to make me fall asleep it must have been particularly somniferous. :(

On the other hand, I had consumed ridiculous amounts of food and wine so the jury's still out.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Doc on December 26, 2009, 07:38:19 am
I'm torrenting the christmas ep right now. I might kind of miss Tennant but it means that Stephen Moffat is taking over as chief writer and that's awesome since he wrote just about every great episode of the last 5 seasons. I liked Ecclestons manic/melancholy thing better than I like Tennant but he probably bailed at the right time.
I'm also basically the only person in the world who likes the 7th doctor best, even if half the eps were some sort of wonderful fever dream.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Doc on December 26, 2009, 09:34:45 am
Just watched it.
Huh.
Um, without using spoiler tags. The master plan of the bad guy is kind of silly in a really Russel T Davies kind of way, but the final scene reveal has me pretty psyched even though I'd basically heard something like this was happening.
Timothy Dalton!
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 26, 2009, 06:09:28 pm
Just watched it.
Huh.
Um, without using spoiler tags. The master plan of the bad guy is kind of silly in a really Russel T Davies kind of way, but the final scene reveal has me pretty psyched even though I'd basically heard something like this was happening.
Timothy Dalton!

Yeah, Davies really knows how to make the people watching forget that most of what they've just seen is actually kind of crap by throwing in a massive geekgasm for the cliffhanger.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Drygioni on December 26, 2009, 06:38:42 pm
Yeah, Davies really knows how to make the people watching forget that most of what they've just seen is actually kind of crap by throwing in a massive geekgasm for the cliffhanger.

Sounds about right. I woke up for the last 5 minutes and will probably watch the 2nd half on New Years now.

Stephen Moffat is definitely needed for the show now I think.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on December 27, 2009, 09:33:20 pm
Speaking of Moffat, anyone seen Jekyll? I just got my BFF hooked.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: smick on December 27, 2009, 10:50:31 pm
Speaking of Moffat, anyone seen Jekyll? I just got my BFF hooked.

I loved Jekyll.

(http://www.holycow.com/pics/jekyll_killedanyone.gif)
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Doc on December 28, 2009, 02:00:30 pm
Jekyll is awesome, I picked up the dvds earlier this year. Some of the middle eps are a bit slow but the good bits are so good. I can't decide whether it should have been longer so that he could flesh out some of the plot lines they kind of glossed over or shorter so they were just left alone altogether.

Is best scene. Is so good. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahKlUZyk-M&feature=related)
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: wombat on January 02, 2010, 09:03:58 pm
My vote for the next Doctor Who. (http://zoomar.tumblr.com/post/313226767/regeneration-gone-wrong-if-only-the-bbc-would)
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on January 03, 2010, 02:28:15 am
This is my favorite scene in Jekyll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDRXXflkLEE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDRXXflkLEE)

Season 4 of DW and Season 1 of Torchwood just hit Netflix Instant, just when I was about to start ordering DVDs. Lucky me!
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Doc on January 03, 2010, 01:30:23 pm
Just saw the finale for Doctor Who, ending dragged on a bit long but all the same, Manly Tears.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Doc on April 04, 2010, 12:18:27 pm
Just watched the first ep of the new series. Me likey.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 04, 2010, 08:51:26 pm
Yup, that was excellent.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Drygioni on April 05, 2010, 03:43:48 pm
Good stuff.

I would give Karen Gillan the best half minute of her life.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jay-ell on June 13, 2010, 09:15:33 pm
Just finished Torchwood: Children of Earth after a short Who Hiatus. I enjoyed it, but of course with  much sadness. Also, I can't turn off the Welsh in my head now, which would be less frustrating if I could make it come out my mouth without sounding like an ass.

Also, in the scene where Ianto is telling his sister that he's not into men generally, but Jack specifically, I thought, "Well, of course! Nobody can resist Captain Jack Harkness." And then it hit me -- he's like Nabu! Everyone's gay for Nabu!
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Ruta Bagas on August 07, 2010, 08:17:42 pm
My wedding was on the same day as the wedding in the most recent Doctor Who series finale.

Did I mention I got married? That happened.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: lprkn on August 07, 2010, 10:01:50 pm
Well, I guess congratulations are in order!

The question is: How long did you wait before you watched the episode in question?
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Mr Trout on August 08, 2010, 08:32:09 am
Married is most definitely a thing. Congrat!! I can only hope that I can find someone to die with
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: jaydub on August 09, 2010, 09:55:30 pm
My wedding is on the anniversary of the first Dr. Who show.  I like that better than the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 09, 2011, 11:08:32 pm
I totally left a question unanswered! That was a mean thing to do.

We watched the episode the following day. It was that or after the honeymoon, and that would have been awful.
Title: Re: Geekgasm in 2005: The return of Doctor Who
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2011, 03:49:18 pm
Zombie thread!

Also, congratulations.

Of course, this thread has one of my favorite posts in it.

Lastly, on the subject of anniversaries, and what they're connected to, I'm sorry to say I don't know of any Dr. Who connections for myself and my sweetie, but smoking was banned in all indoor spaces in England on my anniversary. Also, Sony introduced the Walkman and O Canada became Canada's official anthem, and the first Gay Pride march was held in England.