The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 04:13:37 am

Title: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 04:13:37 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01302007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01302007)

No matter what Circumstances Beef is from, his brother is somehow moreso.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2007, 04:45:49 am
Ray would not drink 7 and 7. 

Also, Beef's just going into the main house from the poolhouse, right?  It's not like he's driving all over for this sleep chilling rescue...
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: MattFish on January 30, 2007, 05:10:13 am
Ray would not drink 7 and 7. 

I would be inclined to agree however it is possible that while sleep-partying his standards relax some

I have no idea why anybody would drink blended whiskey ever (not blended scotch, blended whiskey, the stuff that's like 9% whiskey and rest neutral spirit)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: robot_god on January 30, 2007, 05:10:51 am
Beef better be ready to make "a call."  This is finally Ray's chance to do it asleep style.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 30, 2007, 06:15:09 am
Not being familiar with the "7 and 7", I typed that phrase into Google.  It told me "14".  Very funny Google. Fortunately Google was not a total douche, and gave me the chance to find out what a 7 and 7 actually is once it had had its fun.

It may be the Okocim porter talking, but this is a fabulous strip. I particularly enjoyed the phrase "asleep partying friend cat" in the alt-text, as it reminded me of the interesting way Onstad uses the word "alive" in such phrases as "alive stuffed animal", "alive people with eggs and testicles", and "totally asleep alive kid". (Thanks ohno*****!)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2007, 06:17:58 am
Not being familiar with the "7 and 7", I typed that phrase into Google.  It told me "14".  Very funny Google. Fortunately Google was not a total douche, and gave me the chance to find out what a 7 and 7 actually is once it had had its fun.

It may be the Okocim porter talking, but this is a fabulous strip. I particularly enjoyed the phrase "asleep partying friend cat" in the alt-text, as it reminded me of the interesting way Onstad uses the word "alive" in such phrases as "alive stuffed animal", "alive people with eggs and testicles", and "totally asleep alive kid". (Thanks ohno#####!)


Hhahaha... the search engine had to mess with you before telling you that a 7&7 is Seagram's Seven and Seven-Up?  Oh Google, you so sassy.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: melack on January 30, 2007, 06:27:31 am
The Google calculator is a very versatile tool. Not only can it do simple math equations, but complex existential ones (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything&btnG=Google+Search), too.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: isaacs_law on January 30, 2007, 07:27:12 am
The first time I read this strip it made no sense to me.

The second time, I read the tiny "Showbiz died" not in its probably-intended sense of "Beef is assuming the worst when awoken by the phone" but "Beef has become aware, through psychic twin-sense, that Showbiz has just died and the joke is that this information has nothing to do with the rest of the strip..."

...It worked for me in an Achewood way. I'm almost sorry it isn't true even though I wish Showbiz no personal ill will.


(Lord. They are twins, aren't they? It's been awhile.)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Alternate on January 30, 2007, 07:56:25 am
The Google calculator is a very versatile tool. Not only can it do simple math equations, but complex existential ones (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything&btnG=Google+Search), too.

Yes! (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=e+to+the+i+pi&btnG=Google+Search)  Indeed it can.  Oh google calculator, you are so awesome. 

That reminds me, the other day I was walking through a nerdy venue, and I saw a poster, advertising something.  In the center of the poster, in large letters, it said, "e to the (i * pi) = 2."  I stopped and stared at it, horrified.  "But... What?... No... That's not... That's not true!" I muttered to myself, freaked-outedly. 

Then I looked below the blasphemous equation, and it said:  "Now that we've got your attention..."

Anyway.  About the strip:  I love the first two panels.  At first I trusted Roast Beef's premonition, and lingered on the second panel, afraid to read further.  I like Beef's calm expression and body language as he has his negative thought bubble.  In movies when people wake up scared to the sound of a ringing phone they sit up dramatically, but in real life and in achewood it doesn't work this way. 

Also, what part of Molly's body is making a round lump in the blankets behind her? 
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Drygioni on January 30, 2007, 08:09:25 am
Also, what part of Molly's body is making a round lump in the blankets behind her? 

Her tail?
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: dejavroom on January 30, 2007, 10:50:55 am
I found ach(ewood)ingly touching the "Showbiz died" bit, and was disproportionately relieved when that turned out not to be the case. A++
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2007, 02:24:52 pm
In the final panel Molly has turned over and is facing right (look at the angle of her arm) so the lup in her knee.

Ray's standards must lower when he's sleep chillin'. When awake you know he wouldn't be munching on Ruffles. You know he normally has artisan chips that were fried in fat of Dodo's or somesuch. Or at least some Dirty Chips.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Choop on January 30, 2007, 03:37:23 pm
Miss Vickie's Jalapeņo chips, they're totally rude, with an 18-year McCallan, neat. That's Ray's style.

Of course, he might have been asleep theme partying, where the theme is Ray's Not A Rich Dick.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2007, 03:41:43 pm
Miss Vickie's Jalapeņo chips, they're totally rude,

Yes.  Yes they are.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: robot_god on January 30, 2007, 05:28:17 pm
Well, look at that, in the last panel Molly is holding the pillow over her head.  Perhaps Beef does this often.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2007, 06:28:20 pm
That reminds me, the other day I was walking through a nerdy venue, and I saw a poster, advertising something.  In the center of the poster, in large letters, it said, "e to the (i * pi) = 2."  I stopped and stared at it, horrified.  "But... What?... No... That's not... That's not true!" I muttered to myself, freaked-outedly. 

Funny.  I typed in -1^0.5 just to make it show me "i", and it rearranged the output to - (1^0.5) = -1.  Only after I made a completely unambiguous (-1)^0.5 did Google concede (-1)^0.5 = i.  I presume it did the former to avoid frightening the savages among us.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: melack on January 30, 2007, 06:47:19 pm
Funny.  I typed in -1^0.5 just to make it show me "i", and it rearranged the output to - (1^0.5) = -1.  Only after I made a completely unambiguous (-1)^0.5 did Google concede (-1)^0.5 = i.  I presume it did the former to avoid frightening the savages among us.

I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2007, 06:48:26 pm
Hush, savage.  Go find some pebbles to count.

;)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2007, 07:12:57 pm
The Google calculator is a very versatile tool. Not only can it do simple math equations, but complex existential ones (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything&btnG=Google+Search), too.

It bothers me that it doesn't work with "The Answer to The Ultimate Question Of Life, the Universe and Everything"
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: V-Adore on January 30, 2007, 08:29:50 pm
See, I had assumed that "Showbiz died" was just Beef's automatic assumption whenever he got a phone call at asstastic AM; it makesa certain amount of sense, considering. Then again, in the Achewood universe it's entirely possible Showbiz just dies on a regular basis. (Avenging hitmen sent by Rockford Fosgate?)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 30, 2007, 08:32:31 pm
I like that Google can convert pounds into dollars AND kilograms.  It's another miracle of transubstantiation, only this one totally pwns "water into wine" and "bread into the body of Christ."
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Enkidu on January 30, 2007, 08:38:08 pm
I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?
I took 3 years of college level math, and it took me like 30min to realize what the hell that "i" was doing there; we use "j" for the imaginary components of equations in the electical work I do.  I've seen that same equation referenced twice in the last week, though.  "i" is all the rage these days, apparently.  All the cool kids are putting it in their recreational equations.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2007, 08:44:35 pm
The fact that I hang out with people that say things like "recreational equations" says a lot about me re: my geekiness.

That all the parties I go to involve board games doesn't help.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 08:46:31 pm
A couple of years ago, I got a call at four in the morning from a friend whose father... we'll call him Schmurt... was elderly, he'd been born when his father was already fifty and my friend... we'll call him Schmadam for the purposes of anonymity... was in his middle twenties.

Beyond that, he had a history of heart problems and, indeed, was known for cleaning his massive collection of firearms while drunk and... had once blown a hole through his hand when his dog jumped on him, while drunkenly cleaning a gun. So when our answering machine's caller ID called out the phone as Schmadam's and my first thought was, of course:

"Uh-oh, Schmurt is dead."

So, that's my first question to him, "is your father okay?"

Schmadam was... very high. Very very high. He laughed at the idea, at my paranoid sleuthing.

Schmurt was fine.

No, Schmadam had called us to tell us that he'd just polished off a bottle of champagne in a Redwood hot tub, along with six hits of ecstasy and two blunts. He'd called us to say that he could finally admit he was bisexual.

Which was great and all, he'd been clearly not-just-into-ladies since he was twelve, he seemed to be the last one to figure this out but... better late than never. Still, it was four o'clock in the morning.

"So your father isn't dead?"

"No!"

"Well, I'm very happy for you and your realization but... it's four in the morning. I'll... call you back in the afternoon."

"OKAY!" he said blissed out like a Hari Krishnae with a coupon for Supercuts, "BYE!"

The next afternoon, my girlfriend called him back.

"Schmadam, are you still high?"

"No, I came down a couple of hours ago."

"Are you... still bi?"

Though not my brother, Schmadam is kinda my Showbiz. You never know when you're gonna hear from that kid and what the story's gonna be when you do. You just hope that the news is good, as such that he can finally admit he likes wang, as opposed to bad, that his father blew his head off cleaning a gun.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: V-Adore on January 30, 2007, 08:52:34 pm
Though not my brother, Schmadam is kinda my Showbiz. You never know when you're gonna hear from that kid and what the story's gonna be when you do. You just hope that the news is good, as such that he can finally admit he likes wang, as opposed to bad, that his father blew his head off cleaning a gun.

I have so, so many friends like this from high school that it isn't even funny. It hasn't gotten to the point of eliciting an assumption of death when the phone rings, but it's only a matter of time.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Alternate on January 30, 2007, 10:28:51 pm
I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?

Maybe if you microwave them?  Sounds like Enkidu is better equipped to answer this question than I am.  My answer is more like, "Of course it has to do with burritos.  It's math!  The universe is made of math, and burritos are a part of the universe." 
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Formica on January 30, 2007, 10:37:13 pm
That all the parties I go to involve board games doesn't help.

Well, there's degrees there. There's Monopoly and Life, and then there's Puerto Rico and Carcassonne.

we will not speak of BattleTech, it is unnecessary

Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 10:56:10 pm
With the right chemical mindset, a Boggle party could punish.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2007, 11:10:03 pm
With the right chemical mindset, a Boggle party could punish.

Don't forget about Weboggle (http://weboggle.shackworks.com/).  Though it is kind of crowded these days.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: smick on January 30, 2007, 11:13:16 pm
Carcassonne.
[/size]


I find this enjoyable.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2007, 11:22:43 pm
I did a Google Image search on "recreational equations", but it came up disappointingly short of content, with the puzzling exception of the following:

(http://www.4to40.com/images/fastforward/apr2006/idea_for_suicide6.gif)

Sometimes Google's subtlety is too deep for me.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jay-ell on January 30, 2007, 11:25:38 pm
Well, there's degrees there. There's Monopoly and Life, and then there's Puerto Rico and Carcassonne.

we will not speak of BattleTech, it is unnecessary



Oh man.  We own both those games.  They're in our house right now, along with Guillotine, Bohnanza, and Settlers of the Catan.  We just got a copy of Eurorails for Christmas. 

Last time we had friends over, Sunday night in fact, we played a board game with them, but it's even worse than you think. 

We were helping them play-test a game they made.  About medieval sea trade routes.  And it was fun. 

At least we weren't wearing costumes. 
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2007, 11:33:06 pm
all of my friends at home are obsessed with Apples to Apples due to my influence. But I don't think that's particularly brainy.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Ben-San on January 30, 2007, 11:33:38 pm
One of the many sadnesses of engaging in little non-online socialization is the inability to play Betrayal At The House On The Hill or Cosmic Encounter.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 30, 2007, 11:40:52 pm
With us it's more along the lines of Trivial Pursuit. Or Celebrities which, technically, doesn't have a board. Or pieces. Or really anything aside from slips of paper. And maybe a bowl.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 11:51:51 pm
As my friends and I are all sort of emotionally stunted to the end of college still, we tend to not play board games but, rather, creatively insult each other and people we know. And talk about writing projects we're not following through on. That's probably the Los Angeles portion of the equation.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2007, 11:52:45 pm
We were helping them play-test a game they made.  About medieval sea trade routes.  And it was fun. 

You should check out 1701 A.D. (http://www.anno1701.com/launch/) (or Anno 1701 in its original German).  My wife, who is a deeply devoted Civilization 4 player, is astonished that I find it entertaining to set up trade networks for little island city-states.

We've drifted a long way from sleep-chilling cartoon cats and sandwiches.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Drastic Action on January 31, 2007, 12:01:00 am
Trivial Pursuit is my game.  No one wants to play with me, because they have become convinced that I just know all the answers.  This is not true; you just need to be able to think up a way to logically create the best possible guess.  Nevertheless, we never play it, because my piece goes on a wedge feast while everyone else flounders about with nothing but an Entertainment wedge, while slowly falling of their chairs in boredom.  I find this terribly disappointing, as I love the game so much.

But also, Guesstures is an excellent game, sort of a more well-defined charades.  And I've got a game called Don't Be a Dork, where you are (ironically!) asked to do pretty much the dorkiest things imaginable in order to reach the end.

But it seems like me and my friends find good-natured tresspassing to be our passtime of choice of late.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2007, 02:35:05 am
Apples to Apples is the bomb.  Great for parties where some of your guests don't know each other very well. 

I am awesome at Taboo.  It doesn't seem to matter who I play with, although Pedro and I have obvious advantages.  ("That thing that the guy had that time at the...place" "...NACHOS!")  I somehow seem to have a knack for describing a thing in a way that is not at all the way you'd expect but is still remarkably clear. 

I also always beat Pedro at Ceasar and Cleopatra, but that's because I know how his mind works and I know his strategy.  He's a greedy gazoo and can't stand to give up a point here or there if he can help it, and Cae&Cleo will cut you on that every time.  But he always wins at Carcasonne because he's a sneaky bear and always manages to steal farms from me. 

Pedro and I don't play Trivial Pursuit any more because something about the way the questions are written causes short circuits in my brain.  I totally know the answer when I hear it, but the question itself doesn't make any sense.  I'm better at Jeopardy, but not as good as August.  ;) 

We also don't do Monopoly because (a) it is the game that sucks (plus it causes depression) and (b) Pedro absolutely refuses to trade in any way, shape, or form unless it is so clearly and unequivocally in his favor that it's clear I'm just making the deal out of desperation so that someone, anyone, will win the game and put us both out of our misery.  (See the above-referenced greedy gazoo.) 

Apparently my parents haven't played chess since they were first married because my mom threw the board at my dad in a fit of frustration.  In her defense, Dad does have a tendancy to gloat. 
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: isaacs_law on January 31, 2007, 02:55:09 am
Trivial Pursuit is my game too. I always bring it out after losing at Scrabble.

Aside: I don't know if this is true of any of the other subject GRE's, but the subject GRE in English is very much like Trivial Pursuit in the tone of the questions and the way of thinking you need to crack them - mostly in the sense that

a) most questions on obscure subjects are really just tests of your ability to read context, and
b) when relatively unread literatures come up with one relatively widely-read figure, it's that one (ergo "which Aesthetic writer's work espoused [pointless elaboration on obscure theory of Socialism which you don't even bother reading because it's going to be Oscar Wilde - not just for reasons expressed above, but because Oscar Wilde is right up there with Marvell and Emily Dickinson on the list of Safe Bets On The English GRE]).

My score on the English subject test didn't merit my offering advice, but on the other hand the Princeton Review would tell you just the same for $20.

Do you find modern editions of Trivial Pursuit significantly worse than the 80's editions? My brother and I do. Unfortunately this means we can spend some time in search of the Entertainment wedge as our knowledge of television from twenty years before we were born is pretty much nil.



Oh, and the questions are just poorly written, it's a major flaw in the game and I acknowledge it. Boo!
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: coldfrog on January 31, 2007, 03:15:13 am
Tigris and Euphrates on www.boardgamegeek.com (http://www.boardgamegeek.com).

Though generally sites and such that try to put geek in the title still try to go too mainstream, I think this site deserves it.  And it's a great reference if you want to look up any of the awesome games that everyone has been talking about.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 31, 2007, 03:48:15 am
I'm pretty good at trivia.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2007, 03:57:11 am
I wonder if we still have that video clip somewhere...?

Pedro? 
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2007, 04:00:50 am
I'm pretty good at trivia.

So modest.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: theinevitable on January 31, 2007, 04:15:45 am
paul-- I do. I do like your hat!

(that was my very first very favorite book. I made my dad read it to me so many times that he memorized it-- including when to point at the pictures, when to turn the page, etc.)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 31, 2007, 04:16:43 am
We only play TP occasionally because two of our friends are way over competative. If they're on opposite teams they each take 20 minutes per question trying to work out the answer rather than give up lest the other person win. But when they're together it's even worse because then they'll both talk over each other trying to deduce the answer.

We can't do Play on Words for the same reason. They're both convinced that they have the correct letters to go out every single turn, they just need to play with their hand long enough.

This is why we default to timed games like Catchphrase, Taboo, and Celebrities.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 31, 2007, 04:33:50 am
We're having a Super Bowl party with the two couples we usually socialize with.  We usually play some sort of game (they don't want to play TP anymore,) but the last few times we've played Encore (http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Encore-Game-Board/dp/B00000JKL7/sr=8-1/qid=1170217750/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-3586297-2013231?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games) which is kind of like musical trivia + bad karaoke (is that redundant?).

I highly recommend it.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: AugustWest on January 31, 2007, 04:38:16 am
You should check out 1701 A.D. (http://www.anno1701.com/launch/) (or Anno 1701 in its original German).  My wife, who is a deeply devoted Civilization 4 player, is astonished that I find it entertaining to set up trade networks for little island city-states.

We've drifted a long way from sleep-chilling cartoon cats and sandwiches.

1701 is the newest one, correct?  I loved 1602 and 1503 (or is that backwards?), so I'll probably look for this one.  My strategy is to create one city where all the population is, then make farming (or mining) colonies on the other islands with the resources.  Once I figured out that you don't have to build houses to support farms and mines things really progressed.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Choop on January 31, 2007, 05:13:43 am




FLUXX (http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/)
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: robot_god on January 31, 2007, 06:08:57 am
We should set up some sort of internet Scrabble.  I want to play some competition.  Some of my buddies are half-intelligent, but on the few times board came out, it was a holocaust.  I haven't played any board game in years, now.

This suggestion is based on a loose theory that I actually will find the free time to do this.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: theinevitable on January 31, 2007, 06:19:52 am
I suck at scrabble so much. My little brother always beats me because he knows all those weird short words. I always get too distracted by words I can -almost- spell that would be SO AWESOME oh man guys guess what I can almost do "furniculous" which is a kind of cloud that only occurs in China on the day that a man kills his only goat so that he can use its meat as dowry for his daughter! Doesn't that remind you of how before we were talking about government-mandated family planning? I think it came up at school this one time when...

etc.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: CortJstr on January 31, 2007, 01:49:49 pm
I suck at scrabble so much. My little brother always beats me because he knows all those weird short words. I always get too distracted by words I can -almost- spell that would be SO AWESOME oh man guys guess what I can almost do "furniculous" which is a kind of cloud that only occurs in China on the day that a man kills his only goat so that he can use its meat as dowry for his daughter! Doesn't that remind you of how before we were talking about government-mandated family planning? I think it came up at school this one time when...

etc.

I am lucky if I spell my own name correctly. Word games are not my forte.

That said Quiddler is pretty fun, especially if you're already familar with Five Crowns.
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: jaydub on January 31, 2007, 06:37:17 pm
1701 is the newest one, correct? 

Yep.  I haven't played the earlier versions so I can't advise you much on the differences.  Something cool is that your population advances through various states of sophistication, leading up to the development of an aristocracy that craves really expensive stuff and beautiful surroundings (which are predicated on being able to mine marble, gold, gems and fashioning jewelry from same).  Also, trading with native civilizations and dodging a Black-beardy pirate (or ultimately wiping him out by invading his island, as I did recently).
Title: Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 05, 2007, 08:38:07 pm
One of the many sadnesses of engaging in little non-online socialization is the inability to play Betrayal At The House On The Hill or Cosmic Encounter.

Cosmic Encounter Online, yo. 
http://www.cosmicencounter.com
(I have not actually played this.  Been on their mailing list for a while though.)