Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"  (Read 7643 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:20 pm »

That reminds me, the other day I was walking through a nerdy venue, and I saw a poster, advertising something.  In the center of the poster, in large letters, it said, "e to the (i * pi) = 2."  I stopped and stared at it, horrified.  "But... What?... No... That's not... That's not true!" I muttered to myself, freaked-outedly. 

Funny.  I typed in -1^0.5 just to make it show me "i", and it rearranged the output to - (1^0.5) = -1.  Only after I made a completely unambiguous (-1)^0.5 did Google concede (-1)^0.5 = i.  I presume it did the former to avoid frightening the savages among us.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »

Funny.  I typed in -1^0.5 just to make it show me "i", and it rearranged the output to - (1^0.5) = -1.  Only after I made a completely unambiguous (-1)^0.5 did Google concede (-1)^0.5 = i.  I presume it did the former to avoid frightening the savages among us.

I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:26 pm »

Hush, savage.  Go find some pebbles to count.

;)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 07:12:57 pm »

The Google calculator is a very versatile tool. Not only can it do simple math equations, but complex existential ones, too.

It bothers me that it doesn't work with "The Answer to The Ultimate Question Of Life, the Universe and Everything"
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:50 pm »

See, I had assumed that "Showbiz died" was just Beef's automatic assumption whenever he got a phone call at asstastic AM; it makesa certain amount of sense, considering. Then again, in the Achewood universe it's entirely possible Showbiz just dies on a regular basis. (Avenging hitmen sent by Rockford Fosgate?)
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:31 pm »

I like that Google can convert pounds into dollars AND kilograms.  It's another miracle of transubstantiation, only this one totally pwns "water into wine" and "bread into the body of Christ."
Logged

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 08:38:08 pm »

I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?
I took 3 years of college level math, and it took me like 30min to realize what the hell that "i" was doing there; we use "j" for the imaginary components of equations in the electical work I do.  I've seen that same equation referenced twice in the last week, though.  "i" is all the rage these days, apparently.  All the cool kids are putting it in their recreational equations.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:44:05 pm by Enkidu »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:35 pm »

The fact that I hang out with people that say things like "recreational equations" says a lot about me re: my geekiness.

That all the parties I go to involve board games doesn't help.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 08:46:31 pm »

A couple of years ago, I got a call at four in the morning from a friend whose father... we'll call him Schmurt... was elderly, he'd been born when his father was already fifty and my friend... we'll call him Schmadam for the purposes of anonymity... was in his middle twenties.

Beyond that, he had a history of heart problems and, indeed, was known for cleaning his massive collection of firearms while drunk and... had once blown a hole through his hand when his dog jumped on him, while drunkenly cleaning a gun. So when our answering machine's caller ID called out the phone as Schmadam's and my first thought was, of course:

"Uh-oh, Schmurt is dead."

So, that's my first question to him, "is your father okay?"

Schmadam was... very high. Very very high. He laughed at the idea, at my paranoid sleuthing.

Schmurt was fine.

No, Schmadam had called us to tell us that he'd just polished off a bottle of champagne in a Redwood hot tub, along with six hits of ecstasy and two blunts. He'd called us to say that he could finally admit he was bisexual.

Which was great and all, he'd been clearly not-just-into-ladies since he was twelve, he seemed to be the last one to figure this out but... better late than never. Still, it was four o'clock in the morning.

"So your father isn't dead?"

"No!"

"Well, I'm very happy for you and your realization but... it's four in the morning. I'll... call you back in the afternoon."

"OKAY!" he said blissed out like a Hari Krishnae with a coupon for Supercuts, "BYE!"

The next afternoon, my girlfriend called him back.

"Schmadam, are you still high?"

"No, I came down a couple of hours ago."

"Are you... still bi?"

Though not my brother, Schmadam is kinda my Showbiz. You never know when you're gonna hear from that kid and what the story's gonna be when you do. You just hope that the news is good, as such that he can finally admit he likes wang, as opposed to bad, that his father blew his head off cleaning a gun.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 08:52:34 pm »

Though not my brother, Schmadam is kinda my Showbiz. You never know when you're gonna hear from that kid and what the story's gonna be when you do. You just hope that the news is good, as such that he can finally admit he likes wang, as opposed to bad, that his father blew his head off cleaning a gun.

I have so, so many friends like this from high school that it isn't even funny. It hasn't gotten to the point of eliciting an assumption of death when the phone rings, but it's only a matter of time.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 10:28:51 pm »

I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that I really want a burrito right now. Does that equation have anything to do with burritos?

Maybe if you microwave them?  Sounds like Enkidu is better equipped to answer this question than I am.  My answer is more like, "Of course it has to do with burritos.  It's math!  The universe is made of math, and burritos are a part of the universe." 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:13 pm »

That all the parties I go to involve board games doesn't help.

Well, there's degrees there. There's Monopoly and Life, and then there's Puerto Rico and Carcassonne.

we will not speak of BattleTech, it is unnecessary

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:10 pm »

With the right chemical mindset, a Boggle party could punish.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 11:10:03 pm »

With the right chemical mindset, a Boggle party could punish.

Don't forget about Weboggle.  Though it is kind of crowded these days.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 11:13:16 pm »

Carcassonne.
[/size]


I find this enjoyable.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up