The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on February 16, 2007, 02:53:41 am

Title: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Limmo on February 16, 2007, 02:53:41 am
Meh, except for Old Phillippe's hairstyle (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02162007).  Roast Beef: not the most empathetic cat in the world.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2007, 03:02:30 am
I tend to agree with you on the strip, but Male Pattern Baldness Phillippe is classic.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2007, 03:06:45 am
Oh, come on. Eardrums all explodin' like popcorn.

Oh and: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02162007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02162007)
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Limmo on February 16, 2007, 03:47:17 am
Permalink added. 

::slinks off in shame::
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Doc on February 16, 2007, 04:03:43 am
You guys are crazy, I'm digging this one.
Phillipe going to Beef with a Problem is a perpetual motion machine of fear.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: melack on February 16, 2007, 05:09:08 am
Hasn't Beef ever heard of a simple earache? Those things aren't really causes for concern, in my estimation.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 16, 2007, 05:10:45 am
Quote from: Limmo
Roast Beef: not the most empathetic cat in the world.

That's not the issue, though.

Dude has the depression. Dude just sees sadness everywhere.

In Dude's head, he IS sugar-coating it for the impressionable kid.

The Depression was telling him about gory infections with fluids and such. Things festering into your brain and making you think you're being eaten by cockroaches that look like your grandma until The Good Lord finally lets you die. That is what The Depression tells him.

When The Depression is its worse, you don't consciously remember that The Depression's talking no more.

This is the life of Beef.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: oball on February 16, 2007, 05:25:19 am
Well I don't know about you guys, but I find the mental image of a cochlea being blown out of your head by an exploding ear infection and ricocheting off a weather vane so hard it makes it spin round totally hilarious.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Ben-San on February 16, 2007, 05:36:10 am
This is improved if you imagine the cochlea making a little "ping!" as it ricochets off the weathervane.

Also, for someone with no grasp of obscenity, degradation, or much general foulness, Philippe still manages to portray a pretty good Lyle in his mind.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 16, 2007, 05:46:53 am
No love for the gracious gesture that accompanies "My father once knew a man?"
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 16, 2007, 06:09:20 am
Or that Lyle did not age in Phillipe's imagination?

Or Phillipe seems to think that if you're deaf, you only don't hear SOME words, as would happen in a wacky sitcom misunderstanding?

There is a lot this strip has to offer.

It is not the very best there has ever been but there is definitely hidden value there.

The little strip that could.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: linnea on February 16, 2007, 06:56:04 am
It looks like he put little patches of duct tape on himself. What is he trying to do? Does Lyle have a plate in his head?
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: colmore on February 16, 2007, 07:01:42 am
I think Phillipe has picked up that Lyle Does Bad Things, and that Doing Bad Things somehow involves Knowing Guys who can Make Things Happen.  There are obvious dots to illicit behavior, and his mind searches to connect them.

Ah!  Turtles.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2007, 07:15:08 am
I am a big fan of regular Lyle, but I think I might love Lyle in Philippe's imagination more. That is totally a shelted five-year-old's image of a vile person, all wanting a turtle to get run over.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: coldfrog on February 16, 2007, 07:18:46 am
Not to mention the look on imagination lyle's face when he realizes that poor innocent deaf phillipe might be interested in crushing a turtle.  It's so heartbreaking.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: oball on February 16, 2007, 08:57:35 am
Or that Lyle did not age in Phillipe's imagination?

Or maybe Phillipe just imagines that when you are deaf you have hair and a moustache like an old man, because he connects old men with deafness, therefore in his mind that is what deaf people look like regardless of age.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 16, 2007, 09:19:06 am
Or maybe Phillipe just imagines that when you are deaf you have hair and a moustache like an old man, because he connects old men with deafness, therefore in his mind that is what deaf people look like regardless of age.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: dejavroom on February 16, 2007, 11:12:53 am
Today is a day when I want to look you in the eye, TOUAMB, and whisper confidently to you (to all of you) "We can make it happen".
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2007, 12:56:48 pm
Or Phillipe seems to think that if you're deaf, you only don't hear SOME words, as would happen in a wacky sitcom misunderstanding?


Actually I have a friend who is extremely hard of hearing who does this all the time. Sometimes in funny ways, although now I can't remember the details of what used to be our favorite example - it was about either an opera singer with bad breath who she thought had bare breasts, or else it was the other way around.  But I can't swear this happens to everyone - she is a wacky sitcom misunderstanding sort of person, now that I think of it.

Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2007, 03:20:33 pm
This is improved if you imagine the cochlea making a little "ping!" as it ricochets off the weathervane.


It gets even better when you realize that the cochlea's owner can no longer hear the "ping!"
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 16, 2007, 05:30:56 pm
If a cochlea pings in the forest do the squirrels know what it is?

I love this strip. I loves the one-offs. 'stad has been kissing the wacky groove.

AND: Friday Lyle!
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: crotch_lobster on February 16, 2007, 07:16:20 pm
Lyle friday is sexcellent


But I miss Philippe's Friday Facts alot every Friday that passes without one
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 16, 2007, 07:24:20 pm
Quote from: crotch_lobster
Lyle friday is sexcellent

But I miss Philippe's Friday Facts alot every Friday that passes without one

If you become a regular contributor, I humbly request that your user icon not be literal to your username.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: wombat on February 16, 2007, 07:57:00 pm
If you become a regular contributor, I humbly request that your user icon not be literal to your username.

Seconded. But you're allowed to use a lobster crotch (http://www.lobsters.org/ldoc/ldocimages/ldoc045f.jpg) instead.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Doc on February 17, 2007, 06:13:49 am
It gets even better when you realize that the cochlea's owner can no longer hear the "ping!"

This is why I come here. God bless you, you film-noir lawyer you.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: coldfrog on February 17, 2007, 07:11:02 am
It gets even better when you realize that the cochlea's owner can no longer hear the "ping!"
By typical comedic convention the cochlea will smash through the window of a neighboring house and land in a soup or beverage, and an old lady will faint.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: crotch_lobster on February 17, 2007, 09:01:32 am
Seconded. But you're allowed to use a lobster crotch (http://www.lobsters.org/ldoc/ldocimages/ldoc045f.jpg) instead.

my typical message board-type icon is pretty tame, its a pixelated lobster that flashes the whole rainbow, but who KNOWS what ill use here
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 17, 2007, 09:03:20 am
I have no idea how a rainbow of colours represents the crotch but... considering the alternatives, I certainly have little objection.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: crotch_lobster on February 17, 2007, 09:04:55 am
The whole idea behind my handle started out as an STD you REALLY didn't want to catch, so I can understand your aversion to the possibilities it presents as far as images go
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 18, 2007, 07:48:30 am
I think it stinks that we are so against crustaceans. It shows in how we name venereal diseases.

Oh? What's that? Someone has a bad case of the crawdads!

I think some pathologist somewhere is allergic to shellgiraffe, or had a bad experience at a nice seafood restaurant as a child.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 20, 2007, 08:13:11 pm
All I know is that Crotch Lobster is the logical outcome of doing the Rock Lobster.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 20, 2007, 08:35:32 pm
Then is the next logical extension... Crotch Rock or Rock Crotch?

Sebastian Bach or Ben Grimm?
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: linnea on February 21, 2007, 04:42:17 am
sub_topical/ash, that avatar really creeps me out.

The "Why Paint Cats" book was pretty funny, though. I wish I was that good at Photoshop.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: oball on February 21, 2007, 11:37:37 pm
I woke up this morning and my ear hurt.  Could cochlear cataclysm be imminent?
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2007, 05:08:02 am
sub_topical/ash, that avatar really creeps me out.

The "Why Paint Cats" book was pretty funny, though. I wish I was that good at Photoshop.

Is it photoshopped?  I read that book front to back looking for mention of the photos being altered (I figured they were), but there was nothing, but there's the list of dyes used, so I got confused.   
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2007, 05:31:40 am
I believe so.  I think its the artist's concept that the entire book is part of the artwork.  On the other hand, if you read between the lines, it's too pretentious to be real:
"...inspired by Galileo's love of cats, she traced fine white lines from the tips of a black cat's ears down its back and around the base of its tail.  By orienting the cat's annular ring accurately on a  moonless night, and slowly rotating its whole body in a counterclockwise direction, it was possible to sight along the lines and correctly measure the azimuth of Venus and the moon at setting time."

Right.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: linnea on February 22, 2007, 07:04:29 am
Is it photoshopped?  I read that book front to back looking for mention of the photos being altered (I figured they were), but there was nothing, but there's the list of dyes used, so I got confused.   

All the books in the series (Why Cats Paint, Why Paint Cats, and Dancing With Cats) are all fictional. The cats didn't really paint those pictures, and the cats were not physically painted -- the whole thing is Photoshopped. Each book is humorous fiction.
Title: Re: Today SUCKS! ( 16 February 2007 )
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2007, 02:18:47 pm
Yeah, a little wandering around on the internet confirmed it's all a hoax.  Doing parody while working hard to conceal the fact your doing parody sort of misses the boat to me.  Apparently these people did that book of erotic origami that was proliferated around the internet a while back too.