The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: iron_felix on February 23, 2007, 07:10:07 am

Title: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: iron_felix on February 23, 2007, 07:10:07 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02232007

Poor Philippe is too young to understand the Breast Man / Ass Man debate and is left to watch from the sidelines with his little pen.

This is pretty inconsiderate on Téodor's part.  You just know he kept the elite Breast Man torch & grappling hook set for himself.  That fuck*ng guy.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 23, 2007, 07:26:28 am
Now I am not a man who cries at movies or finds puppies cute, but whenever those jerks mess with phillipe, a little part of me dies. Hopefully one of the little parts Ive ruined with years of tobacco and alcohol abuse.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 23, 2007, 07:41:59 am
Pretty much, if the alt-text transitions into commenting on the day's strip in relation to the breast man/ass man schism on into the future for weeks and months, it would be about as awesomely weird as I could ever ask for from the internet.

Yay, alt-text.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: iron_felix on February 23, 2007, 08:00:31 am
I wasn't going to say this yesterday because I liked the strip so much, but I think I'd be happier if this didn't develop into a full-fledged story arc.  It seems much better suited as a sort of intermittent meta-theme, like (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02142002) these (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02262002) classic (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02272002) examples. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03082002)
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Ben-San on February 23, 2007, 09:07:17 am
Teodor isn't really "messing with" Philippe here - he saw it, thought "Philippe likes these weird little things, might as well blow a quarter on it and make his day". The problem is that Philippe has Unrealistic Expectations.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: mrchee on February 23, 2007, 09:20:29 am
When a pen that retails for 99 cents has 25% off, does it sell for 74 or 75 cents?

why do i have a can?  remove it at once
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: V-Adore on February 23, 2007, 09:36:07 am
Man, being a breast man gets you extra discounts at the dollar store? Goddammit, now I need to figure out the androphilic equivalent so I can buy hella tiny pens, plastic frogs, and witch taffy.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: idiomsavant on February 23, 2007, 10:58:05 am
The best part of the Wallet Pen's package design is the "TV" graphic, without any other contextualizing information.  Just kind of generally noting the existence of television.

I once saw an ad for some product in the Weekly World News with a similar graphic, which read "similar to those seen on TV."
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: jough on February 23, 2007, 01:04:42 pm
We're keeping mrchee can-neutral, people. 

This one made me laugh a little, but then I read the alt-text and have been laughing off and on for the past five minutes or so. 

You can't buy a kid a $.15 present and expect him to get too excited about it.

Man, that's seriously the worst gift ever.  And Philippe's reaction to it was remarkably restrained, I thought.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2007, 02:00:36 pm
We're keeping mrchee can-neutral, people. 

This one made me laugh a little, but then I read the alt-text and have been laughing off and on for the past five minutes or so. 

You can't buy a kid a $.15 present and expect him to get too excited about it.

Man, that's seriously the worst gift ever.  And Philippe's reaction to it was remarkably restrained, I thought.


I don't know. This is the same kid who was thrilled by the Walk Around Butt and Emeril Eyebrows. Had Teodor not paused long enough for Phillipe to get his hopes up then I bet he actually would've liked it.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: dejavroom on February 23, 2007, 02:43:21 pm
I like how you can see every dream and hope crumbling in Phillipe's expression. Reminds me of myself at that age. Life was good, full of drama.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: iron_felix on February 23, 2007, 02:57:49 pm
I don't know. This is the same kid who was thrilled by the Walk Around Butt and Emeril Eyebrows. Had Teodor not paused long enough for Phillipe to get his hopes up then I bet he actually would've liked it.

Come on, not even Philippe could love this pen.  It's not even big enough to fit inside the packaging snugly.  All rattling around at the bottom, all sliding back and forth like some kind of spirit level.  There isn't even a clip on the end to put it in your pocket; there's just a little stub.  Talk about a pen which basically has AIDS.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: katal on February 23, 2007, 03:03:30 pm
This is so Mickey penis Pancakes pt. 2.
Not that I'm complaining.
Although I wish I had such a tiny pen. What a conversation starter THAT would be.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 23, 2007, 03:09:44 pm
"Looks Small, Is Small" is seriously great marketing.  

It really separates this product from those which look small but are, in fact, not small.

A good example of that is the Verizon version of the Motorola RAZR phone: "Looks Small, Is Disappointingly Cumbersome (Particularly When You Try To Put It In One Of The Front Pockets Of Your Jeans)."
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 23, 2007, 03:11:05 pm
Although I wish I had such a tiny pen. What a conversation starter THAT would be.

I had to read that twice to make sure you weren't wishing for something absurd.  With all the Sick Fucks up in this, a man cannot be too careful.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 23, 2007, 04:14:02 pm
This is so Mickey penis Pancakes pt. 2.

DING DING DING DING

Thanks, Friday Achewood! I feel a little jump in my giddyup knowing the little shaver is dashed over a lack of torches, hooks, home Coke and dog video in his life.

Come to think of it, is the torch/grapple kinda a result of the Lyle influence?

SNERF the eyebrows SNERF
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 23, 2007, 04:26:43 pm
I have gone through my entire morning wishing I had a wallet pen. It would have come in handy exactly 5 times in the past 6 hours.

Edit: http://www.derringerpen.com/index2.html (http://www.derringerpen.com/index2.html)  is $8
http://www.thewalletpen.com/ (http://www.thewalletpen.com/) is $50 and handcrafted in Vermont.

I know the minute i buy the the $8 wallet pen, Im going to want the luxury model. But I cannot support a state economy that has a sales tax, income tax, use tax, and estate tax. ::defeated::
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 23, 2007, 04:29:45 pm
I would personally LOVE a wallet pen. I think that's a great gift idea.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: jaydub on February 23, 2007, 06:19:09 pm
This is how I felt, continually, as a child when my Dad would come back from Indonesia, or Korea, or Baluchistan or someplace.  I'd be imagining a kukri-knife, or ninja stars, or shrunken head (grappling hook!), and he'd pull out a matchbox car with Regional Labeling on the box.  Ironically, those would be pretty cool to have as a 37-year old.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: milhouse on February 23, 2007, 06:22:34 pm
I would personally LOVE a wallet pen. I think that's a great gift idea.

Not a wallet pen, but I have the cheap plastic version of these. http://www.cross.com/catalog/pendetail.aspx?cat_name=Autocross+Pens&nav_name=Autocross+Pens&tech=Ball-Point&line=AutoCross&finish= (http://www.cross.com/catalog/pendetail.aspx?cat_name=Autocross+Pens&nav_name=Autocross+Pens&tech=Ball-Point&line=AutoCross&finish=) A pocket pen is close..

Hey. I'm trying to be cool here!!
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2007, 06:41:02 pm
I have the older cheaper verson of that pen in my pocket right now.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Bimmicus on February 23, 2007, 06:57:22 pm
Y'know, I don't like Philippe very much, but it still kind of tugs at my sclerotic heartstrings to see the little fella so devastated. C'mon, is a torch and grappling hook really THAT much to ask for in the greater scheme of things?

Ah, screw it, bring on the fat boobies.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Omegatron on February 23, 2007, 07:43:52 pm
Ah, screw it, bring on the fat boobies.

You used the wrong word.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Bimmicus on February 23, 2007, 08:01:02 pm
Wouldn't be the first time.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: coldfrog on February 23, 2007, 08:21:39 pm
Come to think of it, is the torch/grapple kinda a result of the Lyle influence?

Actually I'm pretty sure it's because he wants to meet batman.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: linnea on February 23, 2007, 09:44:04 pm
Man, I hate seeing Philippe disappointed.

Maybe Onstad is preparing himself for the disappointments the littlest Onstad is bound to face in her life, the same as we all have faced them? I can't imagine seeing that face on a child of mine. But then again, I don't have kids.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 24, 2007, 05:36:37 pm
Hey onstad, can you hook a brother up with some achewood wallet pens?
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 24, 2007, 05:42:31 pm
That's an awesome merch idea. I'd buy a nice wallet pen with "achewood" on it for five or ten bucks.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 25, 2007, 03:05:34 am
Somewhere around here I have a Space Pen (http://www.spacepen.com).  It's small, and it writes when upside down.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: linnea on February 25, 2007, 08:27:59 am
Somewhere around here I have a Space Pen (http://www.spacepen.com).  It's small, and it writes when upside down.

Wow! I'd love to have one of those. For some reason I'm usually trying to write on something that's vertical and then the pen just dries up and withers.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: robot_god on February 25, 2007, 09:06:45 am
Wow! I'd love to have one of those. For some reason I'm usually trying to write on something that's vertical and then the pen just dries up and withers.

Don't space pens cost like 70 bucks?  You could just use a pencil.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: jough on February 25, 2007, 01:39:24 pm
Like the Russians do!

Actually, you can get Fischer Space Pen refills for any regular pen for like $15.  I use nothing but Space Pen ink but don't actually have an official Fischer Space Pen shell (I'm sure there's a better word for a pen body, but I can't think of it, if I ever knew it).
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: linnea on February 26, 2007, 12:42:00 am
Don't space pens cost like 70 bucks?  You could just use a pencil.

Yes, but pencils suck. I like ink much better.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 26, 2007, 07:53:47 am
Actually, you can get Fischer Space Pen refills for any regular pen for like $15.  I use nothing but Space Pen ink but don't actually have an official Fischer Space Pen shell (I'm sure there's a better word for a pen body, but I can't think of it, if I ever knew it).


That is exactly what I was going to say. 

Also, I am almost positive that the pencil thing is just a myth.  Either that or the U.S. used a pencil too, then a private business gave them the idea so he could market it with that name.  That does seem like the more American thing.

I have a friend who grew up in the USSR, and he said that all they talked about was who the first people in outer space were, not the moon.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: iron_felix on February 26, 2007, 08:07:55 am
I can't write in ink at all unless I need to sign something.  There's just something about the fact that I can't erase it that induces me to make mistakes when I otherwise would not.  This is especially true if I am taking notes as it becomes so much harder for me to doodle in the margins.  I tend to really mash writing instruments into the paper when I write, too, which ruins the points on nicer pens.  This also causes problems for me with mechanical pencils; I'm always either snapping the lead off or pushing it back up into the pencil.  Even fully sharpened wooden pencils aren't safe.  Basically what I need in order to write properly is a mostly blunt wooden pencil, and preferably made out of non-recycled wood since the recycled ones are flimsier and sometimes snap midway up the shaft, and also taste really nasty if you chew on them.

Also, could somebody please explain to me the appeal of a wallet pen?  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems rather impractical to me to have to take out my wallet every time I want to write something.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 26, 2007, 08:27:32 am
checks?  extra pen, but not what you count on?

Those are the ones that I can think of.  Pencils are lame, I am an ink man.
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 26, 2007, 11:34:06 pm
It's a writing utensil on the go! Always available! It's not like you'd use it in class, but if you need to scribble something, it's right there!
Title: Re: February 23, 2007 - Looks Small, Is Small
Post by: Lister on February 27, 2007, 11:18:51 am
It's super-absorbent!  Away with floods!  Away with the hassle of workaday tidal waves!