The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: FlipConstantine on February 24, 2007, 02:00:05 am

Title: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: FlipConstantine on February 24, 2007, 02:00:05 am
So, a couple days ago, the roomate and I decided to light up a bowl in our dorm room, not the smartest plan yeah, but we'd done it before and were careful, towels under the door(s) smoke detector sealed with duct tape, doob tubes, the whole 9.  Despite all that, some asshole R.A. with a bloodhound nose decides that we have violated some cherished moral precept and decides to turn us in.  So, I open up the door to an insistent knock to my hall director and a couple cops standing there (university policy is that they can open the door if you don't, so I didn't really have a choice).  And there I'm standing, red eyed and with this (http://topatoco.com/artwork/pot-aa.gif) proudly displayed.  Needless to say, I have a court date.  Just thought you all would get a chuckle out of that.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 24, 2007, 02:13:07 am
Did you have to go to jail, or did they just give you a ticket? 

When I got caught (the first time, only time chaged(yet)) it was just a 200 dollar ticket, didn't even have to take a test. 

Also, smoking in your dorm is dumb, but I understand.



Actually, one of the biggest stoners I know was an R.A. at one point.  I forgot about that.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: linnea on February 24, 2007, 02:45:46 am
I <3 Weedmaster P.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 24, 2007, 02:55:46 am
In college, I never had an RA who smoked up less or as much as I did.

Being a two-or-three-times-a-month guy, I was pretty infrequent as SU went.

Whereas my RAs were stoned... Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights like goddamn clockwork.

I just assumed all colleges were like that. I'm sorry yours is not.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: theinevitable on February 24, 2007, 04:53:01 am
it's so weird, people here are constantly trying to figure out where to get pot. But I've never known anyone who's actually found some. Apparently everyone's hometown is easier to find pot in than St Louis, the most crime-ridden city in the country.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: jaydub on February 24, 2007, 06:30:17 am
My alma mater was Humboldt State University - buried in the aromatic heart of the Emerald Triangle in northern California.  Apparently, it is the anti-St Louis.  I went in never even having seen a bud, and almost ended up on academic probation within 2 semesters (and never had to buy it for myself - everyone had more than they'd want to smoke themselves).

This partially explains why it took me 6 1/2 years to get my bachelors.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: coldfrog on February 24, 2007, 06:45:26 am
My girlfriend was an RA and she was a pretty bad stoner, but she got pissed of at the stupid stoners  on her floor because they would just get high and giggle and be annoying a lot, as opposed to us, who would stare at each other and contemplate the origin of the molecules in one discarded tissue.  And also how the Declaration of Independance was written on hemp paper and if you smoked it you would go BACK IN TIME.

Far more intellectual discourse than just giggling I say!

Edit: I don't know why I never thought of this before, but this will be the plot of part of a webcomic that I will write.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: AugustWest on February 24, 2007, 01:54:15 pm
it's so weird, people here are constantly trying to figure out where to get pot. But I've never known anyone who's actually found some. Apparently everyone's hometown is easier to find pot in than St Louis, the most crime-ridden city in the country.

There was plenty there back in the day.  Also, we smoked (and drank) in the dorms with impunity.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: side_show on February 24, 2007, 04:42:08 pm
That sucks Flip.  I hope you don't have to shoulder too much expense.

Having spent so many years as a pot head, I've got stories and stories.

I had this relationship with a guy which revolved around flirting, smoking copious amounts of pot, seeing plays and drinking.  So as usual we were out at a theatre festival, having just seen a play, sitting in a beer tent drinking and planning to smoke some pot.  So off we went.  It was a windy night, so we were seeking an unpopulated, sheltered area.  We spotted a place that fit both those bills well.  We even remarked that it was odd that we'd found this area in the middle of downtown with no one around.  Out comes the boy's pipe, which was an odd affair that had and odd special feature: it whistled loudly when smoked.  We were happily smoking away for quite sometime, then the boy decided to pack another bowl, and while he did, I looked around at our surroundings a little more closely.  "Oh shit!"  I said.  "What?"  "Oh shit! Oh shit!" "What?"  I point at the window we had been leaning against for shelter and there were four or five uniformed cops on the other side.  Somehow none of them had seen us, or heard the loud pitched whistle of the pipe - they were just hanging out on the other side of the window were we stood smoking our dope.  Turns out we were standing at the entrance to the city's central police station.  We'd have known this if we had looked up at the sign over the door, or even bothered to look into the window.  Brilliant.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 24, 2007, 05:50:04 pm
I live in kind of an artsy rowdy unofficial sorority on campus, and we get away with everything as long as we're not out in the hall actually doing it during rounds. The RAs are pretty much selected to suit us, because we're a handful and if we don't like you, you will probably not want to go on living there.

Anyway, the point of this story is that we clean our bowls as a social gathering in the hallway and smoke on the front porch. It's the best place ever. We also have ghosts.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: theinevitable on February 24, 2007, 07:25:22 pm
yeah, we get away with drinking in the dorms as long as "they can't tell what it is" or we're in someone's room with less than 20 people or so.
But they basically told us they would fuck us up if they found us smoking. I think the pot becomes more available once people are in frats, as the frats apparently always have a big ol' stash which they will share/give/sell.

Also my friend Greg's sister is apparently a huge pothead, and she goes here, so, that is a source I guess.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2007, 07:43:23 pm
There was plenty there back in the day.  Also, we smoked (and drank) in the dorms with impunity.

It was a different world when we were kids (pre Reagan).  Hell we toked up in movie theaters in plain view of the cops, they didn't give a fuck.  We weren't causing a disturbance, why should they?
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 09, 2007, 09:52:31 pm
I don't know whether to give a can for awesomeness (plus an "old timer" story) or remove one for jealousy.  I guess I just won't touch them.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 10:24:30 pm
I don't know whether to give a can for awesomeness (plus an "old timer" story) or remove one for jealousy.  I guess I just won't touch them.

And thus the delicate balance is maintained.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: robot_god on March 10, 2007, 08:59:22 pm
Here is a loosely related story I ran into yesterday. (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=971161)
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: jaydub on March 11, 2007, 04:08:42 am
RG, that's hilarious (yet frightening).  They justified a no-knock warrant by saying the suspects were destroying evidence by smoking it eh?  That would have been the most awesome gravity bong ever, I reckon.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: slink on March 11, 2007, 11:45:45 am
RG, that's hilarious (yet frightening).  They justified a no-knock warrant by saying the suspects were destroying evidence by smoking it eh?  That would have been the most awesome gravity bong ever, I reckon.

Some old friend of mine were arrested (well, they got away as the bag belonged to the dealer they were with) for carrying an ounce or two of pot when they were travelling down south for some shows and such. In questioning the police were asking whether it could feasibly be for personal use, to which they inevitably answered 'hell, we can find out if you like...'. Two birds with one stone and all. Three actually, if I think about it.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 11, 2007, 04:47:39 pm
I never heard a drugs-bust story that pleased me more than Orwell's (http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/prose/DownandOut/downandout_23.html). Is that a sign of an obscenely sheltered life?

not that my life's not obscenely sheltered either way
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2007, 01:17:08 pm
Here is a loosely related story I ran into yesterday. (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=971161)

I spent 8 months in Carbon county.  I think I know where that trailer park is.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: jough on March 30, 2007, 12:58:33 pm
Drugs are less amusing once you get out of school.

Come back and let us know when you and your friends stop bragging about HOW DRUNK WAS I LAST NITE LOL OMFG O RLY?

Adulthood is just around the bend, dude.  It's okay, no hurry.  We'll wait for you.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 08:00:16 pm
Drugs are less amusing once you get out of school.

Come back and let us know when you and your friends stop bragging about HOW DRUNK WAS I LAST NITE LOL OMFG O RLY?

Adulthood is just around the bend, dude.  It's okay, no hurry.  We'll wait for you.

Yes, but also, the real stuff gets more intense - without constant interference the relationships that matter get deeper, better, the friendships that were actually hollow excuses sort of fall away.  When I look back at the younger me and remember how I thought everyone who wasn't getting high were missing the real fun... I just gotta chuckle.  What a waste of time.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 31, 2007, 12:00:22 pm
You know, people that do drugs don't always talked about how fucked up they are/ were.

I know many a successful lawyer that is a stoner and/ or alcoholic.  Alcohol is a drug, and while the bragging of high school drunkenness might stop, the drinking continues for many people.  I can tell you right now, no matter what I do and whether or not I am successful I will smoke marijuana and do mushrooms for at least 10 more years.  No questions asked, no possibilities excluded.

Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2007, 06:33:42 pm
You know, people that do drugs don't always talked about how fucked up they are/ were.

You do have to admit that this is a statistically significant trend, though. (Also, if I were going to be very crass, I would go through your back-posts and try to figure out how many of them involve references to how fucked up you were, but I'll leave that there.)
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2007, 09:17:21 pm
  I can tell you right now, no matter what I do and whether or not I am successful I will smoke marijuana and do mushrooms for at least 10 more years. 

Fine. Now that that's clear, feel free to stop talking about it and get back to us when the ten years are up, OK?
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: linnea on March 31, 2007, 09:27:05 pm
Fine. Now that that's clear, feel free to stop talking about it and get back to us when the ten years are up, OK?

quoted for truth and concurrence.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2007, 11:15:49 pm
You know, people that do drugs don't always talked about how fucked up they are/ were.

I know many a successful lawyer that is a stoner and/ or alcoholic.  Alcohol is a drug, and while the bragging of high school drunkenness might stop, the drinking continues for many people.  I can tell you right now, no matter what I do and whether or not I am successful I will smoke marijuana and do mushrooms for at least 10 more years.  No questions asked, no possibilities excluded.



Damn everybody else took all the good lines.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: Nabubrush on April 01, 2007, 01:49:53 am
Oh please. Some folks just like to get fucked up. I work with a guy who is so deep into World of Warcraft, every dinner is a discussion about how later he is going on a big mission to secure some magical crossbow or some shit. Everybody got their goofy thing that they do that you aren't interested in. In some people's case, it happens to be getting their slant on. You don't wanna hear about it, skip the post. Keith, feel free to discuss legendary benders here as far as I'm concerned. I mean, lots of people want to talk about how cool the Pogues and Charles Bukowski and the Stones are . . .
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 01, 2007, 05:12:56 am
I love to get fucked up.

I never do, but I fantasize about it a lot. It seems like an interesting concept.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2007, 09:51:56 am
I do mention it alot, but this is on the internet, so some backstory must be involved. 

I like drugs.  I do drugs.  I have had a job since I was 15 and am paying my way through college.  I am an adult, so don't speak for me and tell me what my life will or has become.

V-Adore:  you may be correct about the statistics, but that is generally your drunk college guy.  I think another interesting statistic would be how often I have talked about tobacco.  Probably 3 to 4 times, all in context.  How many times have I talked about being drunk?  I don't know, but most are probably when I was apologizing for making drunk comments (i'll go ahead and apologize now if I say anything bad here).  How many times do caffeine users talk about coffee?  Any Xanax users?  Adderall?  Alright, well all of those drugs, with the possible exception of caffeine, are stronger than weed.  Why do I talk about it?  Because pharmaceutical and alcohol and tobacco companies and people who think that drug use is bad and pop an aspirin are in this world.  Sometimes they are helpful, sometimes not, but unfortunately, it makes me and others like myself criminals, which makes it a pretty big issue to me.

I'll make you a deal, any one here gives me a valid, rational, non-hypocritical  and non-political reason on why marijuana should be illegal while tobacco and alcohol remain legal and I will never mention any drug on this board again.

Also, while your at it, perhaps someone could explain why, if marijuana is so bad, nearly all of the greatest thinkers of the past 50 years have used it?  Is Bob Dylan a criminal?  Keith Richards?  That guy you know (everyone knows them)?  "Go ahead and just burn your fuck*ng record collection" (poorly paraphrased Bill Hicks)

Alright, maybe.  How about Carl Sagan?  Clinton?  Bush? (well, uh, yeah, but not for that)



Can we at least agree that pot smokers can be very component people (definitely as much so as Xanax, that shit straight turns off part of your head), some of the most creative our society has ever seen, that many, many, many (97%?) people have some mind changing habit, and mainly that not everyone, especially adult drug users go around "LOLING ABOUT HOW DRUNK WE ARE".  No, that is what you do in high school, maybe freshman year of college.  Not many people I know brag about their drug use.  They simply do it because they like or have to.  It is not high school, but of course maybe you all are right.  Maybe that is the impression you get because you work with a bunch of annoying ass old alcoholics.  I mean, Vonnegut says that High School represents American life better than anything else.  That could mean people act the same way.  Maybe you all are right, and that it is just going to be some huge fuck*ng joke and I am going to regress back in to a clicked out asshole.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: Doc on April 01, 2007, 10:00:52 am
Dude I don't think anyone is down on weed that badly, it's just a matter of not hearing about it all the goddamn time. It's such as when I catch a bus from uni on a friday night and all the dudes who live on campus get on drunk and talk about nothing about how drunk they are it's damn tedious is what it is.
That said this is a message board and I can skip your posts if they aren't entertaining me so post away, just don't act like this is some deep attack on your way of life.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2007, 10:30:35 am
I have not even told a story about pot in this thread, all I am trying to say is that not all drug users are dumb.

In fact, if their is a war on drugs then that means that drug users are beating the organized government.  We are winning by default, just by not being dumb (Bill Hicks again, only he says it funny).
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: wombat on April 01, 2007, 12:10:33 pm
Dude I don't think anyone is down on weed that badly, it's just a matter of not hearing about it all the goddamn time. It's such as when I catch a bus from uni on a friday night and all the dudes who live on campus get on drunk and talk about nothing about how drunk they are it's damn tedious is what it is.
That said this is a message board and I can skip your posts if they aren't entertaining me so post away, just don't act like this is some deep attack on your way of life.

I think all that most of us are trying to covey here is... let's be honest, deep down we all post on messageboards so that strangers on the Internet will think we are fascinating and valuable people. So it's not a question of whether marijuana should be illegal or whether drinking is better than magic mushrooms or whether you, KH, can be a functioning member of society in your spare time from using drugs.  It's a question of whether you are making the impression of a valuable, interesting, contributing member of this particular internet community by talking about this subject at every possible opportunity.

Just a word to the wise, and all.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2007, 12:23:50 pm
You are totally right.  This does not seem like a good thread to discuss the hypocrisy of marijuana prohibition.

Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist




I am sorry that I keep bringing this up out of the blue.

Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2007, 04:18:20 pm
Keith, I don't think anyone really cares how much drugs you do.  You are free to live your life in the way that you choose.  You are not being judged, but we got a good chuckle when you wrote...

You know, people that do drugs don't always talked about how fucked up they are/ were.

because clearly it's one of your favorite subjects.

Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: V-Adore on April 01, 2007, 06:51:28 pm
My commentary has pretty much already been covered, but to sum it up: I am not condemning marijuana. I am personally of the opinion that, if drug policy is evaluated on a strict "likelihood to ruin lives" scale, marijuana being illegal while alcohol and tobacco are both legal is nonsense. However, this does not make stories of how fucked up you got entertaining to me, and a vast proportion of your current message-board persona seems to be based on the drugs you've used and how fucked up they got you at various points. If this bothers you, it might be time for introspection.
Title: Re: Arrested for Pot, with a webcomics twist
Post by: wombat on April 01, 2007, 07:09:06 pm
And that sums it up so well that I think nothing further needs to be said.