The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on February 25, 2007, 07:20:37 am

Title: the Simpson's movie
Post by: side_show on February 25, 2007, 07:20:37 am
I think I'm equal parts horrified and enchanted to see the movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RDBzKl9KI).  From this trailer, I'm especially hopeful that it might be good.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: linnea on February 25, 2007, 08:22:27 am
Man, I hate it when people link to youtube vids! When I move outta the bush and someplace with a decent intarwub connection, I'll follow them. Is it an honest-to-gosh Matt Groening The Simpsons movie?
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: slink on February 25, 2007, 11:39:56 am
My hope is that they're spending their time making this good (looks like older Simpsons) and that's why the last two seasons have been teh ultimate suck.  That said, my other theory is that the last two seasons were shit to make the movie look good. Or that it will be shit too.
bring on the Futurama damnit!
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: robot_god on February 25, 2007, 09:26:46 pm
I think the trailers make it look pretty bad.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 25, 2007, 10:05:09 pm
I find that The Simpsons is sort of what they say in every movie involving slackers about sex and pizza. Even bad Simpsons is still pretty good compared to the alternatives. I'll see it but I'll probably see it with pretty low expectations.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 25, 2007, 11:14:07 pm
Is it just me or is the image of Homer giving a pig a zerbert profoundly disturbing?
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: coldfrog on February 25, 2007, 11:16:09 pm
My hope is that they're spending their time making this good (looks like older Simpsons) and that's why the last two seasons have been teh ultimate suck.  That said, my other theory is that the last two seasons were shit to make the movie look good. Or that it will be shit too.
bring on the Futurama damnit!

Yeah, I've been disappointed.  I miss the new developments that Futurama could have had, not to mention that Futurama always felt like it had more real feeling in it than Simpsons.  I dunno, I could connect more with the characters and they had hidden depths and such.  Of course, they had to throw in the obligatory random recurring characters, including scruffy and those particular aliens that often attack earth, but I don't feel like they came anything close to the domination that the side characters in the Simpsons play.  Just like Family Guy and flashbacks, so is the simpsons and the supporting cast.

It's still better than most things on TV though.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: theinevitable on February 25, 2007, 11:41:57 pm
a zerbert?
...like... a raspberry?
is this another weird regional difference?
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: CortJstr on February 26, 2007, 01:01:55 am
a zerbert?
...like... a raspberry?
is this another weird regional difference?

A zerbert is when you put your mouth on a person's stomach and blow to make an unpleasantly ticklish and vaguely wet farting noise.

A raspberry is when you stick your tongue out and make a little farty noise, usually written as "Thpbbbt" or something similar in comic strips. See also :-Þ
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2007, 01:09:38 am
really?
My parents always called it a Raspberry.

and so does Wikipedia. But I believe you, it says that Zerbert is another word for it.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: Doc on February 26, 2007, 02:39:42 am
I can't even entertain the idea that this movie will be good. It's just not possible in my reality.
I'm still probably going to see it though, I mean I'll have to do something the weekend it comes out.

Also: Rasberry. A zerbert sounds dirty and not something I would want to see an adult do to a child.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: jaydub on February 26, 2007, 05:27:09 am
I've always spelled it Xerbert.  Always being since the early '90s when a girlfriend (from San Diego, Muse - in case you're taking notes) introduced me to the term.  Before that, I had no term for the action.  Somehow I survived.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: iron_felix on February 26, 2007, 07:42:00 am
I've only ever heard it called a raspberry.  Zerbert sounds like a candy bar.  Xerbert sounds like an old DOS-based puzzle game.

Yeah, I've been disappointed.  I miss the new developments that Futurama could have had, not to mention that Futurama always felt like it had more real feeling in it than Simpsons.  I dunno, I could connect more with the characters and they had hidden depths and such.  Of course, they had to throw in the obligatory random recurring characters, including scruffy and those particular aliens that often attack earth, but I don't feel like they came anything close to the domination that the side characters in the Simpsons play.  Just like Family Guy and flashbacks, so is the simpsons and the supporting cast.

It's still better than most things on TV though.

I seem to recall an interview where Groening said he created the Simpsons because he thought animating Life in Hell would mess it up somehow and wanted a show with characters he didn't care about and had nothing invested in.  Is there any truth to this?  It seems a bit ironic given all the continuity fanservice going on in later seasons, but I suppose that's largely a product of the show's popularity.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: side_show on February 26, 2007, 02:42:05 pm
Yeah - Groening says something to this effect in the audio commentary for one of the season... I can't remember which one though.

Also, it is totally a Raspberrry.  And it is totally disturbing.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: coldfrog on February 27, 2007, 02:00:33 pm
I've only ever heard it called a raspberry.  Zerbert sounds like a candy bar.  Xerbert sounds like an old DOS-based puzzle game.

It is dark.  You will probably be eaten by a Xerbert.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: iron_felix on February 27, 2007, 05:26:55 pm
A note on the wall says "MAGIC WORD XERBERT".
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: melack on March 01, 2007, 07:20:33 am
I haven't watched a new episode of the Simpons in its entirety since probably 2000. I just pretend they stopped making new episodes nearly a decage ago.

Wow, I may be 22, but boy did that last sentence make me feel old.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: side_show on March 01, 2007, 02:02:31 pm
For dessert tonight?  Raspberry Zerbert. 

I just blew your minds.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 08, 2007, 06:06:24 am
I wish the Simpsons was still as fantastic as it was 14 years ago so I could show up at school the Monday after the Simpsons movie opens and say "I've seen the Simpsons movie THIRTEEN TIMES" and not feel like a complete idiot.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2007, 02:28:13 pm
I wish the Simpsons was still as fantastic as it was 14 years ago so I could show up at school the Monday after the Simpsons movie opens and say "I've seen the Simpsons movie THIRTEEN TIMES" and not feel like a complete idiot.

I remember in middle and high school the show was required viewing. It didn't matter how late you were out Sunday night you had damn well better have taped the Simpsons and watched it before school Monday morning or you were jolly well fucked when it came to conversation. South Park was like that for about a year.
Title: Re: the Simpson's movie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2007, 06:19:59 am
For dessert tonight?  Raspberry Zerbert. 

I just blew your minds.

Yes.  Yes you did.  Thank you.