Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: the Simpson's movie  (Read 3690 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
the Simpson's movie
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:20:37 am »

I think I'm equal parts horrified and enchanted to see the movie.  From this trailer, I'm especially hopeful that it might be good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:22:27 am »

Man, I hate it when people link to youtube vids! When I move outta the bush and someplace with a decent intarwub connection, I'll follow them. Is it an honest-to-gosh Matt Groening The Simpsons movie?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 11:39:56 am »

My hope is that they're spending their time making this good (looks like older Simpsons) and that's why the last two seasons have been teh ultimate suck.  That said, my other theory is that the last two seasons were shit to make the movie look good. Or that it will be shit too.
bring on the Futurama damnit!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:46 pm »

I think the trailers make it look pretty bad.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:05:09 pm »

I find that The Simpsons is sort of what they say in every movie involving slackers about sex and pizza. Even bad Simpsons is still pretty good compared to the alternatives. I'll see it but I'll probably see it with pretty low expectations.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:07 pm »

Is it just me or is the image of Homer giving a pig a zerbert profoundly disturbing?
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 11:16:09 pm »

My hope is that they're spending their time making this good (looks like older Simpsons) and that's why the last two seasons have been teh ultimate suck.  That said, my other theory is that the last two seasons were shit to make the movie look good. Or that it will be shit too.
bring on the Futurama damnit!

Yeah, I've been disappointed.  I miss the new developments that Futurama could have had, not to mention that Futurama always felt like it had more real feeling in it than Simpsons.  I dunno, I could connect more with the characters and they had hidden depths and such.  Of course, they had to throw in the obligatory random recurring characters, including scruffy and those particular aliens that often attack earth, but I don't feel like they came anything close to the domination that the side characters in the Simpsons play.  Just like Family Guy and flashbacks, so is the simpsons and the supporting cast.

It's still better than most things on TV though.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:41:57 pm »

a zerbert?
...like... a raspberry?
is this another weird regional difference?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:55 am »

a zerbert?
...like... a raspberry?
is this another weird regional difference?

A zerbert is when you put your mouth on a person's stomach and blow to make an unpleasantly ticklish and vaguely wet farting noise.

A raspberry is when you stick your tongue out and make a little farty noise, usually written as "Thpbbbt" or something similar in comic strips. See also :-Þ
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 01:09:38 am »

really?
My parents always called it a Raspberry.

and so does Wikipedia. But I believe you, it says that Zerbert is another word for it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 02:39:42 am »

I can't even entertain the idea that this movie will be good. It's just not possible in my reality.
I'm still probably going to see it though, I mean I'll have to do something the weekend it comes out.

Also: Rasberry. A zerbert sounds dirty and not something I would want to see an adult do to a child.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 05:27:09 am »

I've always spelled it Xerbert.  Always being since the early '90s when a girlfriend (from San Diego, Muse - in case you're taking notes) introduced me to the term.  Before that, I had no term for the action.  Somehow I survived.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:00 am »

I've only ever heard it called a raspberry.  Zerbert sounds like a candy bar.  Xerbert sounds like an old DOS-based puzzle game.

Yeah, I've been disappointed.  I miss the new developments that Futurama could have had, not to mention that Futurama always felt like it had more real feeling in it than Simpsons.  I dunno, I could connect more with the characters and they had hidden depths and such.  Of course, they had to throw in the obligatory random recurring characters, including scruffy and those particular aliens that often attack earth, but I don't feel like they came anything close to the domination that the side characters in the Simpsons play.  Just like Family Guy and flashbacks, so is the simpsons and the supporting cast.

It's still better than most things on TV though.

I seem to recall an interview where Groening said he created the Simpsons because he thought animating Life in Hell would mess it up somehow and wanted a show with characters he didn't care about and had nothing invested in.  Is there any truth to this?  It seems a bit ironic given all the continuity fanservice going on in later seasons, but I suppose that's largely a product of the show's popularity.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »

Yeah - Groening says something to this effect in the audio commentary for one of the season... I can't remember which one though.

Also, it is totally a Raspberrry.  And it is totally disturbing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: the Simpson's movie
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:33 pm »

I've only ever heard it called a raspberry.  Zerbert sounds like a candy bar.  Xerbert sounds like an old DOS-based puzzle game.

It is dark.  You will probably be eaten by a Xerbert.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up