The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Golfhaus on March 09, 2007, 05:50:44 am

Title: Moichendising!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 09, 2007, 05:50:44 am
Damned but if I don't want a Great Outdoor Fight poster (http://www.achewood.com/shop/rsrc/img/poster_gof_lg.gif) somewhere in the house my wife and I will be buying this summer. All framed up and crisp like the dickens.

And the Cartilage Head one too. But mainly the GOF one.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: theinevitable on March 09, 2007, 06:14:59 am
goddamn. I have 8 posters on my wall. My room next year will be less than half the size of this one.

...where will I fit one copy of every single one of those? Where will I put those posters?
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: linnea on March 09, 2007, 06:28:05 am
oh god...I'm never going to have enough money to move back to Denver if I keep hemorrhaging money. Dammit, onstad, why do you have such sneaky, awesome ways to make me bust out the credit card?? AUGH.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 09, 2007, 06:34:57 am
Having this poster would make people unfamiliar with Achewood think that there actually was a Great Outdoor Fight in the 1940's. Even better would be telling people about the history of the Great Outdoor Fight without mentioning Achewood.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 09, 2007, 06:47:16 am
The best part would be getting, like, ten or fifteen minutes into the story... pitching it as though it is pretty much just a way-out-there-but-basically-believable Ultimate-Fighting-for-Weird-Northern-California-Biker-Types and...

Once you have them believing it, only then getting into the fact that the partici##### are generally talking housecats. Making DAMN SURE that they are completely believing you before you move onto that, though. That is compeltely the key.

That's pretty much what Phil Hendrie used to do on the radio. That was the entire scheme... start with something crazy but essentially possible and slowly stretch it out more and more and more and see how far people would follow you if you made with the madness gradually.

This was before the poor guy snapped, turned his show into a weird series of paranoid rants about how awful Muslims are or something... realized that people who are into radio shows where random listeners getting fooled by fake guests probably wasn't going to appeal to the "string up the heathens crowd"... half-heartedly returned to being funny, tried to get into television in the lamest way possible and then gave up on radio, basically because he couldn't get that People Who Enjoy Nuanced Satire and People Who Want to String Up Those Who Are Different are completely different audiences.

The rise and fall of Phil Hendrie was a tragedy of Wagnerian scale.

But holy shit, before he went down the path of madness that befell a lot of slightly-rich-aging-white-guys completely learning the wrong lessons from 9-11 and turning into a batshit loon, he was pretty much the funniest thing ever.

I am... sorry for changing the subject.

But I fuck*ng MOURN Phil Hendrie. The real Phil Hendrie. Before he became more Clear Channel than man. Twisted and e-vil.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 09, 2007, 06:54:12 am
The best part would be getting, like, ten or fifteen minutes into the story... pitching it as though it is pretty much just a way-out-there-but-basically-believable Ultimate-Fighting-for-Weird-Northern-California-Biker-Types and...

Once you have them believing it, only then getting into the fact that the partici****** are generally talking housecats. Making DAMN SURE that they are completely believing you before you move onto that, though. That is compeltely the key.


Are you really my brother in disguise? Because this is what he does on a daily basis. And I fall for it every time. Every time.

I wonder what Phil Hendrie's leitmotif would be.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 09, 2007, 06:56:38 am
My brother does this, too.

But, for me, it works the opposite way. I pretty much just don't believe anything he says.

You should try this technique. It is pretty rad.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 09, 2007, 03:45:50 pm
The first time I ever managed to do that on a scale I was proud of was when I was a freshman in college and a girl I was talking to mentioned that the phrase 'getting off scot free" was a strange phrase. I then invented, on the spot, an ad-hoc etymology of the phrase involving the English taking over Scotland and its castles, only to find that the Scots had been using secret entrances, etc. to get in and steal their supplies. The English were baffled at how the Scots were able to do this and get away unseen, and that then turned into the phrase "free as a Scot," and thus, "scot free."

Since then, I manage to do that sort of thing to my wife so often that she's starting to take the LFM approach of not believing any damn thing I say.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 04:23:01 pm
Since then, I manage to do that sort of thing to my wife so often that she's starting to take the LFM approach of not believing any damn thing I say.

I do this too, and it has hella backfired.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: theinevitable on March 09, 2007, 04:37:46 pm
yeah, I do that to my friend who lives across the hall constantly.

...she always believes it. She should be glad that I use this power for good and not evil.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 09, 2007, 04:43:46 pm
You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 04:49:05 pm
You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.

Well, this would only be a good idea for me if I was interested in trying divorce again. I've pretty much run divorce through its paces, and it turns out it ain't for me.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 09, 2007, 05:02:18 pm
Before marriage, I tried this on Spouse and she started doing it right back.

One of the ways I knew she was the one.

The power of deception and guile is strong in that one...
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 09, 2007, 05:10:45 pm
You're always far better off leaving it a week or so before you reveal your deception. Give your dear friend time to astound everyone they know with their latest titbit.

Like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine believed that the original title for War & Peace was War: What Is It Good For?, and then busts it out in a conversation with a Russian novelist.  Also from that episode, George telling someone he was a marine biologist, that octopi used to have nostrils, and then having to pull a golfball from a whale's blowhole.

They lead to some wacky stuff, these misunderstandings do.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: theinevitable on March 09, 2007, 05:21:51 pm
man, what a show that was.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Doc Benway on March 09, 2007, 08:00:20 pm
Also from that episode, George telling someone he was a marine biologist, that octopi used to have nostrils
But, for me, it works the opposite way. I pretty much just don't believe anything he says.

I know a guy who claims that Octopuses (Octopi?) can solve rubik's (Rubick's) cubes. I have trouble believing anything he tells me now. He also maintains The Cure aren't a goth band, and that Jethro Tull are a good band.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: CortJstr on March 09, 2007, 08:12:08 pm
I know a guy who claims that Octopuses (Octopi?) can solve rubik's (Rubick's) cubes. I have trouble believing anything he tells me now. He also maintains The Cure aren't a goth band, and that Jethro Tull are a good band.

Octopodes is technically correct if you want to get crazy anal about it (and who on this board doesn't, other than LFM (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3474.msg85514.html#msg85514)) but both puses and pi are acceptable.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: wombat on March 09, 2007, 08:18:29 pm
That is an entertaining lie. An octopus might be able to turn the parts of the cube, though, even though it can't understand the puzzle. I wonder if I can find one to test it before I quit my job. Do they even still sell Rubik's cubes?

I am sure I linked elsewhere to the explanation of why 'octopi' is strictly speaking incorrect but I am too tired to care. It is an interesting explanation but as far as I am concerned you can pluralize any fuck*ing way you want.

I was going to say something about the topic of this thread but now I forget what it was, so I will repeat: Everyone should buy the cookbook.  And the apron is excellent.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 08:20:15 pm
Can octopen even see colors?
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Doc Benway on March 09, 2007, 08:23:55 pm
Can octopen even see colors?

Not according to wikipedia, they can see different polarizations of light but can't see why that would help. For me, the main issue is one of motivation; why in the name of all that is holy would an octopus WANT to solve a rubik's cube? Also, I should clarify - It is this dude's sincere belief that an octopus can solve a rubik's cube, I questioned him on it once and it was like I had insulted his religion! Also, the GOF poster is awesome, if only i had somewhere to put up a poster...
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: V-Adore on March 09, 2007, 08:38:21 pm
Octopets can open jars and do fairly complicated things involving tank breaking-and-entering; I suspect there is at least one out there who could solve a Rubik's cube given a properly labeled one and some motivation to achieve this task.

(I think I'm going to just start inventing a new plural of "octopus" every time I have to pluralize it.)
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: jaydub on March 09, 2007, 09:08:48 pm
For me, the main issue is one of motivation; why in the name of all that is holy would an octopus WANT to solve a rubik's cube?

The same might be asked of humans.

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass here.  I love pointless puzzles (although for whatever reason, Rubik's cubes don't hold any fascination for me), as long as they're sufficiently intriguing.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 09:38:54 pm
It is a defining characteristic that octopix enjoy puzzles.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: CortJstr on March 09, 2007, 09:49:35 pm
It is a defining characteristic that octopix enjoy puzzles.

Octopuves are considered to be very intelligent.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 09, 2007, 10:17:10 pm
Octoply are also very tasty.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 10:23:08 pm
Octopice get a bad rap from the whole hentai/tentacle rape porn deal, in my opinion.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Drastic Action on March 09, 2007, 10:26:53 pm
Octopunks!

I really would like to buy every single one of those posters.  Especially cartilage  head, and ray's high escapades.

But we can't let this thread get back on track, now can we.  As for the tall-tale creation, I generally have gone the opposite way -- someone asks about a book or a movie, or how my day was, or anything really, and somehow it starts of with either something to do with the moon, or having sandwiches, though usually it is sandwiches on the moon.  This way, as long as I keep my tales from involving space travel, people will believe I am telling the truth for once.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 09, 2007, 10:54:10 pm
both puses and pi are acceptable.

Truer words have NEVER been spoken.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2007, 12:13:18 am
I figure we just treat the problem like we treat mice and mazes. With enough electric shocks and cheese those octopez will do anything.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2007, 12:13:44 am
Octopeese maintain gardens.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 10, 2007, 12:23:37 am
Octodudes are probably my #1 or #2 favorite animal (It is in competition with the platypus). I have yet to hear of a non-human animal smarter than the octopus and would not be surprised to see a youtube of one solving a specifically designed rubiks like puzzle.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 10, 2007, 12:33:25 am
All this talk of octopeaux... it is, like, insane.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 10, 2007, 12:47:22 am
Octoplex kinda scare me, but squid is awfully tasty. Then again, maybe they are, too.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2007, 01:35:28 am
Scary or tasty? Obviously referring to squid and octopleens respectively.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 10, 2007, 01:54:35 am
Octopholofugus poses no danger to the humans on this planet. Unless of course you are eating them live incorrectly. Eating a live octopus involves making the sucker (pun intended) wrap around a stick and then you suck him off by his head (pun intended). Otherwise it can go nuts on your tubes. Squid and Octopholofugus are both tasty but have an odd texture that some people find repulsive.
I enjoy both in sushi form.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: wombat on March 10, 2007, 02:05:39 am
Octoplex kinda scare me, but squid is awfully tasty. Then again, maybe they are, too.

Well, octopusim will eat squid, but I don't know about the other way around because we don't have any live squid.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2007, 02:27:14 am
I'm kind of hungry tonight, and seafood sounds good.  One octopus won't fill me up, so maybe I'll have a hexadecipus.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2007, 02:31:40 am
Cans given for "octopusim" and "hexadecipus," which are both delightful.

Anyway, the fact that rats are apparently capable of recognizing things they do and do not know (http://www.animalphiles.com/) suggests some terrifying things could happen if octoplonks were rigorously taught anything. Admittedly, they are squishy invertebrates, but so, quite possibly, was Cartilage Head. (If I was this sort of person, I would write a fanfic about Cartilage Head's performance art being the octopedia community's revenge on the vertebrate world. He fakes the snapping sound with a carefully palmed plastic cup, and each night he burble-laughs in the way only an aquatic agent of vengeance can.)
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 10, 2007, 03:13:58 am
Scary or tasty? Obviously referring to squid and octopleens respectively.

I meant that octopusoj might also be tasty. Squid would only be scary if they were still alive and I had a really nice shirt on.



(edited for spelling)
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2007, 03:59:57 am
I like the octoplotz, but there ain't no denying they are frightening.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2007, 04:41:32 am
The important thing to remember about octopedes is that they are more scared of you than you are of them.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2007, 04:54:13 am
The important thing to remember about octopedes is that they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Ha! That's what they want you to think! Octopex will be on your neck if you let them!
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 10, 2007, 05:15:24 am
Octiphanes love puzzles. I just read a study about how new imaging techniques are proving that the octobrist brain can not only see different wavelengths of light, but can interpret them along 7 dimensions. The genus Onomotopoctopeia is the most adept at this. The US Navy is funding research to train them to track submarines.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 12, 2007, 01:22:07 pm
I am not an octopus, but I can solve a Rubik's Cube.  In fact, I am incapable of being in a room with an unsolved Rubik's Cube; I must immediately pick it up and solve it.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 03:12:18 pm
I am not an octopus, but I can solve a Rubik's Cube.  In fact, I am incapable of being in a room with an unsolved Rubik's Cube; I must immediately pick it up and solve it.

This makes no sense to me.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 12, 2007, 04:23:39 pm
This makes no sense to me.

What the hell is an Octopus?
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 04:39:42 pm
What the hell is an Ocotopus?

Oh, I know what an ocotopus is - I just have no experience with an octopus.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2007, 07:06:57 pm
I think he means that he isn't one of the octopals, Nabu.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 09:01:43 pm
I think he means that he isn't one of the octopals, Nabu.

Shall we stone him or burn him?
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2007, 09:13:45 pm
Both! Prepare... the burning stones.

... If you can't get them to catch fire, their just being really hot will be okay too. No worries. This is a business-casual stoning, after all.
Title: Re: Moichendising!
Post by: CortJstr on March 12, 2007, 09:58:13 pm
Shall we stone him or burn him?

Given the thread title I think we should just drop a giant statue on his foot.